Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you remember Henry J's, Dillingers, Woodies, Central Park?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Ennis that still has a pool table? :o
    Pockets has one, I know two more are under tarp out the back. Mike had to remove them because he had problems with the creamers.

No one mentioned Brandons "Nightclub" when you once had to pay to get in. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Colaiste Grad or the CBS? :)

Neither! I went to Tulla :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I used frequent The Portal Stall (Dillingers last incarnation) because they were very lax on asking for ID. Definitely miss the arcade machines I always had a game of Scud Race in there.

Laterly I frequented El Pasos, Henry J's (1 pound shots.. dangerous), Cloister (pool of piss you had to vault over to get to the urinal) and Pockets which was packed with yoke heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

we used to call el paso- el tractor because all the bagels went there but we were bagels ourselves i guess:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ahhh, the Stall, that was a bit of a crèche, El Tractor (El Wellie) as well.

We're also forgetting Sullies, that used to be my main haunt when I moved back to Ennis, I couldn't understand why ladies went there, massive queue for the Ladies toilets, then I remembered it was cause I was there :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Ennis Rugby Club was a late night venue for a brief period of time in the mid 90's, bands used to play there and it was a great place for after hours.

I'm wondering if other people did this or maybe it was just my group of friends - if we were too broke to go to a nite club or if anyone had difficulty getting into the nite club, we used to get a taxi to the West County or the Auburn and we would gate crash a wedding. Both hotels would have the names of the couple displayed on a board so if we were asked why we were there, we would say we were friends of John or Mary etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Ennis Rugby Club was a late night venue for a brief period of time in the mid 90's, bands used to play there and it was a great place for after hours.

I'm wondering if other people did this or maybe it was just my group of friends - if we were too broke to go to a nite club or if anyone had difficulty getting into the nite club, we used to get a taxi to the West County or the Auburn and we would gate crash a wedding. Both hotels would have the names of the couple displayed on a board so if we were asked why we were there, we would say we were friends of John or Mary etc. :D

Mmmm... and us poor sods working in the Auburn used to go demented getting the place emptied at 2am
    I know who to blame now! :D:D
    Clareman wrote: »
    Ahhh, the Stall, that was a bit of a crèche, El Tractor (El Wellie) as well.

We're also forgetting Sullies, that used to be my main haunt when I moved back to Ennis, I couldn't understand why ladies went there, massive queue for the Ladies toilets, then I remembered it was cause I was there :p
    Sullies had ample seating... high heels = tired legs you know!
    (well you probably don't know) ;)
    I used frequent The Portal Stall (Dillingers last incarnation) because they were very lax on asking for ID. Definitely miss the arcade machines I always had a game of Scud Race in there.

Laterly I frequented El Pasos, Henry J's (1 pound shots.. dangerous), Cloister (pool of piss you had to vault over to get to the urinal) and Pockets which was packed with yoke heads.

I never went to the Porter Stall, Henry's yes (for the pool table)
    I met my hubby in El Paso! :p

Mmmm... and us poor sods working in the Auburn used to go demented getting the place emptied at 2am
    I know who to blame now! :D:D

It is a small world :D:D

In those days everyone seemed to know each other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ahh, gate crashing weddings, that was very popular for a while, I'll never understand why, can't ever remember going to the rugby club, the Grive was the place for late drink for ages, that was before the raves

Athe Grive was the place for late drink for ages, that was before the raves

The Green Grove??

• Advertisement

That was shocking typing by me wasn't it? :)

Yeah, The Roslevin, they had a pool table there and all if I remember correctly although I was never exactly sober heading out there I have to admit. They had raves there in the early noughties

That was shocking typing by me wasn't it? :)

Yeah, The Roslevin, they had a pool table there and all if I remember correctly although I was never exactly sober heading out there I have to admit. They had raves there in the early noughties

Changed its name after the murder
    I remember that
    I also remember walking the dog down that way past green fields ... all gone now just bloody houses everywhere :mad:

Was there a murder there? Can't remember that, must be getting old. A lot of people don't realise that the dump used to be where Corrovorin is now

Was there a murder there? Can't remember that, must be getting old. A lot of people don't realise that the dump used to be where Corrovorin is now
    Yes, back in the early eighties a young girl called Denise Cox was murdered outside the Green Grove, a local man was convicted at the time. He was picked up by the gardai the day after the murder.
    Cracking Crime is a documentary series looking at high-profile murders in Ireland - state pathologists and the Gardai are employed in the investigation. Looking at the case of Denise Cox who was the victim of a brutal, fatal, stabbing outside a pub outside a pub in Ennis in August 1983. The perpetrator was Frank Daly - a known criminal with psychiatric problems.

I'm afraid I'm not old enough to remember Corrovorrin as anything but a housing estate... Was it not built in the 60's??

As for the murder there was one in the Banner Arms as well around the same time, another stabbing, murder was so rare then it was big news!!

I can't remember it being anything but houses either, then again I was born in 78 (I know I'm old).

How about the Derrynane, anyone frequent there?

I can't remember it being anything but houses either, then again I was born in 78 (I know I'm old).

How about the Derrynane, anyone frequent there?

You're not old I'm older than u :)
    As for the Derrynane yep I worked there one summer great place for hot chocolate and toasties (not neccesarily together) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Yeah I remember both of those murders clearly!

Anyone remember Howleys where Charlies is now? Not too long ago but was a frequenter of Lucas' back bar, even the very first one that fit around 5 people!

I'm around the same age as you Clareman. I had a summer job in Ennis so I used to have my lunch in the Derrynane almost everyday. I remember my boyfriend (at the time) and I having coffees in the evening, Paul Kerin was a barman there and he was always great at offering free top ups to the regulars, he was a real gent. He was a postie during the day and in the evening he was a barman in the Derrynane. The coffee in the Derrynane was excellent. The Carrs were such a lovely family, old Michael Carr (RIP), Mrs. Carr and Kyran.

I'm afraid I'm not old enough to remember Corrovorrin as anything but a housing estate... Was it not built in the 60's??

As for the murder there was one in the Banner Arms as well around the same time, another stabbing, murder was so rare then it was big news!!
    I remember the murder in the Banner Arms, it was a young guy from Cork who was in Ennis for the weekend and the guy sitting next to him in the Banner pulled a knife on him. It was really awful at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

yeah i used to love the derrynane..
    i used to have to beg to go to roslevan and my parents would say 'why cant you be like the other teenage girls and want to go to the queens, why do you want to go out there with all those hairy bikers':eek:

Does anyone remember Central Park or May Kearney's nite clubs in the mid 90's? It was brilliant having an alternative to the Queens.

Does anyone remember Central Park or May Kearney's nite clubs in the mid 90's? It was brilliant having an alternative to the Queens.

Mmmm... I remember both as dives full of hash heads... does that count? :o

(note: I wasn't one of the hash heads I didn't even drink at that stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Anyone remember a bouncer called "Pavarotti" - he was a really sound guy. I also remember another really nice bouncer called Francie Mahon. One night after much dancing, he superglued a stiletto heel back on for me :D:D

Check out the pic on the front page of the clare champion today!! You can see a pic of 'Pavarottis' back ie Noel Clune!!!!

maiden wrote: »
    Check out the pic on the front page of the clare champion today!! You can see a pic of 'Pavarottis' back ie Noel Clune!!!!
    :D:D:D

Thanks for that Maiden, I'm on holidays at the moment but I'm after checking out the on-line edition, it is him alright :D

I think what finished those raves in the Roslevin was some guy fell asleep/passed out in the car park and someone drove over his head. Never went out there myself. Remember getting flyers off very attractive girls promoting lap dancing out there at some stage but I was always too cheap to pay for taxis out that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I think what finished those raves in the Roslevin was some guy fell asleep/passed out in the car park and someone drove over his head. Never went out there myself. Remember getting flyers off very attractive girls promoting lap dancing out there at some stage but I was always too cheap to pay for taxis out that direction.

Classy as ever buddy!

Yeah, well it would have cost 20 quid, before lapdance money. That's 20 shots I could have been drinking in Henrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Anyone been to the legendary parties out in Tiermaclane about 10 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sparticus78

OMG this does bring back memories (and, like Clareman, I was born in '78) ... where was the Derrynane again, name rings a bell but cant picture it. I remember '95 working in Supermacs then heading to MTs for cheap drink and sitting out in the park in front of the court house piddled before heading home and climbing in the bedroom window!! Ahhh those were the days!

Advertisement