Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you remember Henry J's, Dillingers, Woodies, Central Park?

Options
  • 10-07-2011 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

Maiden, Angelfire09 and I were having a chat here on boards earlier this evening and we started reminiscing about venues we remember from our youth. (which was only a couple of years ago) ;):)

Here are some of the ones that were mentioned -

"The Lifford" - very popular pub if you were a girl who wanted a biker boyfriend or wanted to play pool.

"Dillingers Bar & Snooker Hall" - Used to be a great place for live music. Does anyone remember when the band "Big Generator" were very popular?

"Henry J's Cocktail Bar" - Shane Kelly was a barman there. he was Ennis' answer to Tom Cruise in Cocktail. Anyone remember the beach parties?

Brogans was also really popular, a real townies pub. I no longer live in Ennis but when I go home I love to head to Brogans where you will always meet a friendly face :)

So fellow Clare boardies where did you hang out in your youth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I remember Big Generator in the Banner Arms allright. Leydens in the Market used to have good rock bands too. I think thats Patricks now, or maybe the Usual Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

My main hangouts were the Lifford, the Banner and Dillengers!

Big Generator played in the Queens last week and seemingly have a huge following!

I remember drinking in the Lifford in my colaiste 3rd year uniform! Jaysus i was sooooo bold!

I think i was only in leydens once to see Killerwatt, was in the Banner ALOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Brogans was also really popular, a real townies pub. I no longer live in Ennis but when I go home I love to head to Brogans where you will always meet a friendly face :)

Is Brogans not closed down? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

I used to play snooker in Dillingers during lunch times when I was at school. :)

Big Generator had a decent following in London as well when I came back over here, I remember them playing around Cricklewood/Kilburn/Willesden and getting decent crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Is Brogans not closed down? :confused:
    No, but the owners are retiring so they have put the pub on the market :(.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I remember when the Market was the happening place in town, Henry's, Gracies, Dillingers (Drinking Emporium), El Paso. I used to place a lot of snooker in Dillinger's, when it was a proper snooker hall. MT's was the spot to go as well for a while, I remember watching the first Collins Eubank fight there, had a great night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Clareman wrote: »
    I remember when the Market was the happening place in town, Henry's, Gracies, Dillingers (Drinking Emporium), El Paso. I used to place a lot of snooker in Dillinger's, when it was a proper snooker hall. MT's was the spot to go as well for a while, I remember watching the first Collins Eubank fight there, had a great night

Henry J's had sit in arcade games if memory serves me. I bloody hated the place but had no choice but to go there as my mates at the time used to love it. overcrowded, overpriced and over-rated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Yeah, it had games, it also had a very good pool table, I remember playing there all day 1 Saturday in fear of my life, it was winner stays on and I just couldn't miss, but a lot of the "regulars" wanted a game, I was warned that if I threw a game that I wasn't getting out with my thumbs.

MT's had games as well, many the pound coin that went into Daytona, a mate of mine was rubbish on it until he was tanked, really not an advertisement for drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

i remember getting served in gracies in my blue colaiste uniform!!!!
    i still have a henry j's menu (i know im sad) 3pt pitcher of beer 8.95 cocktails 2.75 - thats when you cud have a good nite on 20 pounds (or a tenner if u had the naggin in the bag).....:D

Ahhh, getting Black Russians, no ice (took up space) for 3 quid. Impossible to get a taxi home, waiting in ET Cabs (across from the Abbey) for a cab for hours, some nights you might get a shift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Yeah, it had games, it also had a very good pool table, I remember playing there all day 1 Saturday in fear of my life, it was winner stays on and I just couldn't miss, but a lot of the "regulars" wanted a game, I was warned that if I threw a game that I wasn't getting out with my thumbs.

MT's had games as well, many the pound coin that went into Daytona, a mate of mine was rubbish on it until he was tanked, really not an advertisement for drink driving.

Mmmm.... I would have been one of those regulars waiting to play a game on a saturday afternoon
    I was on the Clare pool team for my sins

Did you get beaten (on the table) by many women Clareman? :D:D

I think I was only there twice on a Saturday afternoon, first time I played 1 game and ended up getting blocked on black Russians, the second time has already been recanted :)

I was asked to play for the Mr D's pool team but I was worries it would ruin my snooker game, the fact I was useless at snooker ruined that :(

I think I was only there twice on a Saturday afternoon, first time I played 1 game and ended up getting blocked on black Russians, the second time has already been recanted :)

I was asked to play for the Mr D's pool team but I was worries it would ruin my snooker game, the fact I was useless at snooker ruined that :(

:D:D

Maybe we should organise a Clare Boardsie's meet up.... somewhere with a pool table.... I actually still have my own cue
    Sad I know! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

"Dillingers Bar & Snooker Hall" - Used to be a great place for live music. Does anyone remember when the band "Big Generator" were very popular?
    Ah Portumna's finest! They played at my secondary school Debs in the Auburn Lodge back in 1994. Great band.

I've always liked going to Brogans whenever I'm in Ennis, lovely atmosphere in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Didn't the Big Generator mainly play in Henry's? Dillinger's had some great bands play there in the early 90's. I really do miss the live music, also Kearney's beer garden.

Big G played my grad as well, 95, great summer that :)

I still have my queue as well, but it's just for snooker. Boards meetup could be done I guess

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Ah Portumna's finest! They played at my secondary school Debs in the Auburn Lodge back in 1994. Great band.

I've always liked going to Brogans whenever I'm in Ennis, lovely atmosphere in there.

Colaiste Grad or the CBS? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Big Generator are still going strong, mainly playing around Galway though. Saw them in Charlies a few Thursdays a few years back. They actually made a music video filmed around Ennis there about 4 years ago if I remember rightly. 2 of my mates were quite proud of the fact that they appeared in it. Think it is called "One Minute" or something like that.

I still have my queue as well, but it's just for snooker. Boards meetup could be done I guess

Is there anywhere in Ennis that still has a pool table? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Ennis that still has a pool table? :o

Good old Brandons has a pool table again since they did it up there last summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Brewery has a pool table too

I remember the summer of 95 too, it was wonderful summer weather wise and of course who could forget September '95 in Croke Park. I hope we will see days like that again :)

Battleflag wrote: »
    Brewery has a pool table too

Not fond of brandons but this I must check out!

I didn't know The Brewery had a pool table, I was under the impression that the only places in town with tables were Brandons and The Lifford.

Back to the topic a bit, the Banner Breakfast in Gracies was fantastic, came with chips, that and a pint would sort you out every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I fell out of the lifford and banner more times than i care to remember!! I think the bouncers name at the time was Graham, he gave it up then to open Little Theatre down mary Kellys lane.

My memory is a bit vague of my teenage years.....

Anyone remember a bouncer called "Pavarotti" - he was a really sound guy. I also remember another really nice bouncer called Francie Mahon. One night after much dancing, he superglued a stiletto heel back on for me :D:D

Anyone remember a bouncer called "Pavarotti" - he was a really sound guy. I also remember another really nice bouncer called Francie Mahon. One night after much dancing, he superglued a stiletto heel back on for me :D:D

I know Francie, have done since I was a kid, a real gent!

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I know Francie, have done since I was a kid, a real gent!
    I'd like to think that there are still some bouncers out there like Francie, he was great man for looking out for and advising youngsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I didn't know The Brewery had a pool table, I was under the impression that the only places in town with tables were Brandons and The Lifford.

Back to the topic a bit, the Banner Breakfast in Gracies was fantastic, came with chips, that and a pint would sort you out every time.

I lived in Gracie's every weekend for years in the early 90's. The Alvin purple love experience every Sunday night..
    I made membership of an exclusive club there called "the breakfast club".
    Rules were simple.
    Breakfast and a pint. Followed by a million more pints. Only thing you were allowed to leave for was a visit to the ATM.
    Another feed in the evening was allowed but frowned on and The Queens was compulsory...
    Those were the days:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

ah, this is bringing back memories id long forgotten.. always in the lifford mid 90s and onto the roslevan... thought it was class:o
    pool in dillingers on saturday although i was crap...
    loved brandons back then, great bands and atmosphere, funny times:D

Advertisement