Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

paddyandy wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by what people will like i remember something got stuck in the hoover and when switched on it seem to play an interesting few notes and i thought at the time i must tape it but i never did.I think music is a mirror of peoples souls somehow.

Music's just sound... Some people make it a mirror to their soul, and do it excellently and move people and make people cry or laugh or whatever. Some people like to shove stuff up hoovers. It's all class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Angels and Airwaves are one of the most under-rated bands of the last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

AdamD wrote: »

POW! Right back on topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

What makes them so special and unique that more people should listen to them over other bands? Please enlighten us.

For a start Tom DeLonge should never be let near a microphone, but that's just my 50 cents.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    What makes them so special and unique that more people should listen to them over other bands? Please enlighten us.

For a start Tom DeLonge should never be let near a microphone, but that's just my 50 cents.

Think you missed the point of the thread mate. I for one love Tom Delonge's voice (though can be dodgy live).

• Advertisement

Think you missed the point of the thread mate. I for one love Tom Delonge's voice (though can be dodgy live).
    No not really, I was just curious to know why you thought they were underrated.

The reason why his voice sounds dodgy live is because his vocals are treated in the studio using pro-tools and stuff, you can always tell.

Because he messed up his voice when he was addicted to painkillers. I just think that their music is better than a lot of the bands who have been popular in recent years ie Kasabian / Arctic Monkeys recent stuff / The Killers recent stuff

Because he messed up his voice when he was addicted to painkillers. I just think that their music is better than a lot of the bands who have been popular in recent years ie Kasabian / Arctic Monkeys recent stuff / The Killers recent stuff
    A lot of bands' music is much better than the likes of Kasabian and Arctic Monkeys, I mean a lot, some perhaps more deserving than AVA. But that's just the way things are, major labels put more money into these bands and sheep buy them. The greatest bands people could ever listen to will probably never be heard by more than a few hundred people. The word 'underrated' could be applied to a gigantic number of artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Radiohead are on a wind-up since Kid A making utter drek and fooling people into believing it's important music as opposed atonal noise.

I expect Thom Yorke to announce some say that those who bought into the Kid A era onwards are blinkered sheep who are drip fed by the media's secretions.

This it is fair to say could be considered an unpopular opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Radiohead are on a wind-up since Kid A making utter drek and fooling people into believing it's important music as opposed atonal noise.

I expect Thom Yorke to announce some say that those who bought into the Kid A era onwards are blinkered sheep who are drip fed by the media's secretions.

This it is fair to say could be considered an unpopular opinion.

But how could it be when this comes up every time Radiohead is mentioned?

As for the atonal noise, I'd advise you not to construct opinions based on utter fallacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Radiohead's music since Kid A has been almost entirely built upon standard simple tonal and modal progressions. The closest thing to atonality would be in certain parts of The National Anthem.
    The only thing that really changed for them is timbre and rhythmic structure, and to be honest, not even that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Radiohead's music since Kid A has been almost entirely built upon standard simple tonal and modal progressions. The closest thing to atonality would be in certain parts of The National Anthem.
    The only thing that really changed for them is timbre and rhythmic structure, and to be honest, not even that much.

Enough to make them, really, really ****. It HAS to be a wind up. It must be a stunt similar to Joaquin Phoenix's 'rap career'.

Enough to make them, really, really ****. It HAS to be a wind up. It must be a stunt similar to Joaquin Phoenix's 'rap career'.

How does it have to be a wind up? Because they stopped playing guitars as much and they've tried a few new time signatures? 'Cause that's the only thing that's changed since The Bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It's clear that you're trolling but it's not clear why you're trolling. Are you one if the people that are angry at Radiohead for deciding to push their sound forward over 10 years ago and still want another Bends? Or do you think that all electronic music is awful? Or are you just annoyed that you can't get the music and therefore look at people enjoying it as being pretentious?

Why u mad son?

Well if you want them to record an entire album of 'Creep' knock-off that's just not going to happen. In fact that would be a stunt similar to Joaquin Phoenix's "rap career". If you don't like electronic music then perhaps Radiohead are not the band for you anymore. Actually I quite prefer their 00's output to their 90's output, it just seem more interesting musically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Must I admit, George Michael is quite dire tbh.

Himself and Madonna, while both influential are two of the most overrated pop acts of the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Gary moore is/was the best guitarist of ireland. Ever.

i don't like the beatles or anything related to them or that time period as a whole really ( bar Early TL stuff i guess )

price is a good musician.

all of these start an unholy war.

Pdfile wrote: »
    If you mean Prince, I don't think that's too widely disputed.
    Unless you mean a good musician as opposed to undoubtedly one of the finest working musicians popular culture has seen. I think his reputation is pretty damn good. As is he.

Unless you meant someone whose name is actually Price. In which case I don't know who you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭dasdog

i don't like the beatles or anything related to them or that time period as a whole really ( bar Early TL stuff i guess )
    So you don't like any music from the 60's at all? AT ALL?? It's quite strange that someone would write off an entire musical decade which has had such a huge impact on us culturally. There's absolutely no shortage of great music from the 60's, you have the whole psychedelic rock movement, British Invasion bands like The Kinks, hard-rock bands like Blue Cheer and early Led Zeppelin, early electronic artists like Silver Apples and The United States of America, tons of singer-songwriters and folk artists, and last but not least The Velvet Underground. So much great music and I didn't even mention a certain Liverpool band.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    So you don't like any music from the 60's at all? AT ALL?? It's quite strange that someone would write off an entire musical decade which has had such a huge impact on us culturally. There's absolutely no shortage of great music from the 60's, you have the whole psychedelic rock movement, British Invasion bands like The Kinks, hard-rock bands like Blue Cheer and early Led Zeppelin, early electronic artists like Silver Apples and The United States of America, tons of singer-songwriters and folk artists, and last but not least The Velvet Underground. So much great music and I didn't even mention a certain Liverpool band.

Also Györgi Ligeti, Iannis Xenakis, Krzysztof Penderecki, Steve Reich's really good stuff, John Cage, Terry Riley, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman... Jaysus, on reflection there was tons of unreal stuff in the 60s wasn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Unless you meant someone whose name is actually Price.
    They may have meant Katie Price who released an album in 2006 (thank you Wikipedia :))

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Steve Reich's really good stuff

Did you think you were gonna get away with a comment like this?? :P

Just kidding, obviously that decade for him is great, and in first getting to know him, I think it's really important as the music is more purist and it displays the beginnings and principles of his style, but I have to say I prefer any decade after that. I mean come on, Reich in the '70s!! Mid '80s to mid '90s era a close second.

I phrased all of that really poorly for some reason, but the point is clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Milkshake by Kelis is a damn good song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The Yamaha DX7 keyboard did more harm to '80s music than good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Gary moore is/was the best guitarist of ireland. Ever.

all of these start an unholy war.

Absolutely, better than Rory Gallagher ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

The Libertines were one of the most overrated bands of the past 10 years.

The Thrills were actually quite underrated as were The Coral.

Forever Changes is way better than Sgt. Peppers.

The Clash's self titled album is too long.

I find I can only listen to Tommy about once every 5 years.

• Advertisement

The Thrills were actually quite underrated as were The Coral.
    I actually quite like The Coral and I think their most recent album Butterfly House is their best. The Thrills on the other hand I never liked, I always found their music to be very weak and limped. Not to mention the terrible vocals.

Advertisement