Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

karaokeman wrote: »
    For the most part yes, he also played keyboards, guitar, percussion, the harp and harmonica.

Still wouldn't make him one of the most gifted guitar players in Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Music is sh1t and only idiots still listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

U2 are rubbish. overrated coz they are Irish band.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

ricero wrote: »
    do all radiohead fans these days hate all pre - kid a albums such as pablo honey, the bends and ok computer ?

No, I think their first three albums demonstrated remarkable progress with the last two being modern masterpieces. I initially dismissed Kid A, then tried to love it and all their subsequent works but eventually came to the conclusion that they paled in insignificance to their first three works as they had become too comfortable in their own shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

daheff wrote: »
    U2 are rubbish. overrated coz they are Irish band.

No Mary Byrne is overated because she's Irish. U2 are underrated because of Bono.

Kold wrote: »
    Music is sh1t and only idiots still listen to it.
    music is shįt and the ppl who listen to it hav no life's. books FTW

;)

You two aren't mates by any chance are ya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

You haven't heard the best of their material.
    My dad has most of their albums and I'm quite familiar with them.
    Well Lynott and Gallagher are two of the most gifted guitarists in Irish history. I don't see why they shouldn't be so highly respected.
    I respect them as great musicians and as Irish icons, but the music they make says nothing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

I quite like that new Snow Patrol song whatever it's called

• Registered Users Posts: 33 raxor

Most metal sucks absolute donkey balls.

Seriously, it's sh1t beyond belief.

raxor wrote: »

Seriously, it's sh1t beyond belief.
    I agree that most metal sucks. But there is that small percentage that certainly doesn't and is well worth any music fan's time, for example:

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I agree that most metal sucks. But there is that small percentage that certainly doesn't and is well worth any music fan's time, for example:
    (Excellent metal videos, bar that 'Shining' codswallop)

There definitely a lot that can be gained by slowing everything down. I myself have been moving further and further away from 'fast' metal bands recently, and growing more fond of stoner/doom bands.

• Advertisement

There definitely a lot that can be gained by slowing everything down. I myself have been moving further and further away from 'fast' metal bands recently, and growing more fond of stoner/doom bands.
    Exactly. There seems to be a mentality with a lot of metal fans that faster equals better, not necessarily. I don't listen to much metal these days but when I do I usually go for stoner/doom bands and some black metal bands. The textures, groove and atmosphere that can be gained by slowing things down are far more interesting than how many notes a guitarist can play in a short space of time or how fast the drummer can play.

Shining are a pretty good avant-garde metal band by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 In My Place

Man, I f***ing cannot stand The Prodigy.

Nerdy songs, hopeless lyrics and wait Liam Hewlett is the only musician in the band. The other two are "dancers".

Really, just an electropop trio who made it because they have a great band name.

And by my username, most people here will know who I think are the best.

Shining are a pretty good avant-garde metal band by the way.
    To each his own, I guess. My most unpopular musical opinion is my absolute hatred of keyboards or synths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

To each his own, I guess. My most unpopular musical opinion is my absolute hatred of keyboards or synths.

Man, I don't get this. Absolute hatred of a means for one person to play music with full texture all at once, the basis of several instruments (organ, harpsichord, piano) that have seen the development of music from the baroque era right through to today? And then absolute hatred of instruments that can theoretically make any sound ever? How can that be a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Man, I f***ing cannot stand The Prodigy.

Nerdy songs, hopeless lyrics and wait Liam Hewlett is the only musician in the band. The other two are "dancers".

Really, just an electropop trio who made it because they have a great band name.

And by my username, most people here will know who I think are the best.

I would have agreed, on some level, until I saw them live in 2009 and realised just how much of a band they are, live.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Man, I don't get this. Absolute hatred of a means for one person to play music with full texture all at once, the basis of several instruments (organ, harpsichord, piano) that have seen the development of music from the baroque era right through to today? And then absolute hatred of instruments that can theoretically make any sound ever? How can that be a bad thing?
    The thread is titled Unpopular Music Opinions. You don't have to agree with me. I will, however, admit I worded it badly. I meant digital keyboards. I do not disagree with the whole idea of a keyboard as a set of levers or keys on a musical instrument such as a harpsichord. My dislike of synthesizers is a sort of an unfounded hatred, I don't really have any clear-cut reasons for not liking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think the new chilis album is boring as fúck.

I would have agreed, on some level, until I saw them live in 2009 and realised just how much of a band they are, live.
    I saw them at Oxegen 2008 and left half-way through their set they were so boring. I only stayed for the first half because some randomer beside me shared his spliff with me.
    The thread is titled Unpopular Music Opinions. You don't have to agree with me. I will, however, admit I worded it badly. I meant digital keyboards. I do not disagree with the whole idea of a keyboard as a set of levers or keys on a musical instrument such as a harpsichord. My dislike of synthesizers is a sort of an unfounded hatred, I don't really have any clear-cut reasons for not liking them.
    There are analogue synthesizers as well you know. I can see why some people dislike them, sometimes they can sound cold and a bit too synthetic, but musicians can obtain certain moods and musical textures with synths that are pretty much impossible to achieve with guitars or other instruments.
    That seems to be a very popular opinion actually ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

Can't stand One Direction/Justin Bieber/Taylor Swift/JLS or any of that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Im a huge Dylan fan but find 'Blood On The Tracks & Blonde On Blonde' overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

That seems to be a very popular opinion actually ;)

Eh I'm With You has had its moments, I've heard more stick for the Arctic Monkey's new album.

Regarding the monkeys, Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair' is about as lame a song title as they come. Too long and there's no life in it.

Personally I thought it was a relatively good comeback album. Brendan's Death Song really influenced my opinion on that, just can't wait to hear it live at the O2 in 48 days from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

Eh I'm With You has had its moments, I've heard more stick for the Arctic Monkey's new album.

Regarding the monkeys, Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair' is about as lame a song title as they come. Too long and there's no life in it.

Personally I thought it was a relatively good comeback album. Brendan's Death Song really influenced my opinion on that, just can't wait to hear it live at the O2 in 48 days from now.

Looking forward to it too, but won't be the same without frusciante:(

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Were Thin Lizzy a slightly better than average pub band, or do all pub bands just want to be Thin Lizzy?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

raxor wrote: »
    I'd bet my house on the fact that you haven't listened to most metal so we can safely discount your opinion. Maybe if someone starts a "Stupid opinions on music I know very little about" thread you can add your post to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Malice wrote: »
    I'd bet my house on the fact that you haven't listened to most metal so we can safely discount your opinion. Maybe if someone starts a "Stupid opinions on music I know very little about" thread you can add your post to it?

Knives out! :p

I used to be of the 'metal is ****' opinion, till I got on my recent kick of trying to figure out what the most 'extreme' types of music are (at the moment I'm really into breakcore, harsh noise, gabber, things that are hard to listen to at first - I find that kind of initial repulsion really interesting), and black metal is one of those things I'm getting into. Now I've only listened to Mayhem's first EP so far but it's cool, I'll be checking out more. I quite like Gorguts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I couldn't call myself a fan of metal (I don't listen to it), but I get where you're coming from. I'm a big fan of hip hop, and there seems to be a very similar ignorant stance taken by a lot of people regarding hip hop, and they're usually the same people who haven't bothered to even investigate it and find the best stuff before forming an opinion on it. People who dismiss an entire genre of music as "sh*te" without even knowing anything about it aren't expressing an opinion, they're just expressing their utter ignorance.

I was a bit cranky when I wrote that earlier post, apologies raxor.
    Knives out! :p

I used to be of the 'metal is ****' opinion, till I got on my recent kick of trying to figure out what the most 'extreme' types of music are (at the moment I'm really into breakcore, harsh noise, gabber, things that are hard to listen to at first - I find that kind of initial repulsion really interesting), and black metal is one of those things I'm getting into. Now I've only listened to Mayhem's first EP so far but it's cool, I'll be checking out more. I quite like Gorguts too.
    I'm sure I'm biased and the same applies to other genres but metal is very wide-ranging in its variety of sound. Black metal like the aforementioned Mayhem sounds nothing like the symphonic power metal of Nightwish which in turn sounds nothing like the technical death metal of Nile.
    I couldn't call myself a fan of metal (I don't listen to it), but I get where you're coming from. I'm a big fan of hip hop, and there seems to be a very similar ignorant stance taken by a lot of people regarding hip hop, and they're usually the same people who haven't bothered to even investigate it and find the best stuff before forming an opinion on it. People who dismiss an entire genre of music as "sh*te" without even knowing anything about it aren't expressing an opinion, they're just expressing their utter ignorance.
    I freely admit I don't like a lot of Hip Hop but I know that there's a massive amount of music in that area that I'll never listen to. I've listened to the likes of Ice Cube and Ice-T and liked their stuff. My dislike for the genre is probably rooted in the stupid videos that do the rounds on the music channels. You know the ones - take a bunch of beautiful women and have them wiggle around a nightclub or a pool while a bloke or two occasionally makes hand gestures at the camera. There may also be sports cars involved :).

(at the moment I'm really into breakcore, harsh noise, gabber, things that are hard to listen to at first
    If you get a chance you should check out Fear Factory's album The Gabber Mixes. As you can probably guess by the name it's a few remixes of songs done in the gabber style. The original songs were on the album Demanufacture. If you go as far as checking those two out then definitely check out the remix album Remanufacture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I freely admit I don't like a lot of Hip Hop but I know that there's a massive amount of music in that area that I'll never listen to. I've listened to the likes of Ice Cube and Ice-T and liked their stuff. My dislike for the genre is probably rooted in the stupid videos that do the rounds on the music channels. You know the ones - take a bunch of beautiful women and have them wiggle around a nightclub or a pool while a bloke or two occasionally makes hand gestures at the camera. There may also be sports cars involved :).

That's fair enough, if you're not into it. I just think that it's another genre of music that is very misunderstood and dismissed without really being given a chance. :) There is a wealth of great music in hip hop that's well worth investigating, especially a lot of the old school stuff. As well as having some great subject matter for the lyrics, the beats in a lot of it are just downright awesome - people like Nas, Wu-Tang Clan, A Tribe Called Quest are just some of the brilliant hip hop artists from the 90s that are a credit to the genre. Unfortunately the radio and music channels seem to prefer the shallow end of hip hop that only seems to be interested in b*tches, bling and money. I guess that's what sells, sadly. Hip hop is so much more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 dylanlolwut

Cawcheen wrote: »
    I really cant see what there is to like about Dubstep

ha i used to hate dubstep so muh. But now it's all i listen to. Guess it kind of just grows on you.. I went from rock to dubstep lol

Advertisement