Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

trashcan wrote: »
    Micahel Jackson was not a great entertainer.

Holy ****...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Let's not get Paranoid, Android.

Actually, its a play on my name, nothing to do with Radiohead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Actually, its a play on my name, nothing to do with Radiohead.

Yeah. Oasis is a play on my middle name. Who'd 'a' thunk it?

Yeah. Oasis is a play on my middle name. Who'd 'a' thunk it?

Is that really you Oakley?

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Holy ****...

Yeah, blatantly untrue, he always had plenty of Jesus juice and pyjamas for the kids when he was entertaining them. He was great…

• Advertisement

Anything that is guitar driven, is boorish, Britpop drivel, according to that lot!

I wouldn't say that anything guitar driven is Britpop drivel but I would say most Britpop is drivel. Blur, Pulp, some of the earlier Suede and were probably some of the few lumped in with that that weren't completely crap. Oh, and the Charlatans and Supergrass.

Verve: 2 good songs and the rest was utter bilge. Richard Ashcroft is the biggest dickhead beside Liam Gallagher to grace this planet. Ocean Colour Scene were pure muck. Cast, Dodgy, Shed Seven and all those other bands were utter tripe.

Oasis: couple of decent tunes and I always found Noel a witty interviewee but he hung around too long going through the motions with his troglodyte brother for me to have much respect for him. Still, he has made an album with the amorphous androgynous so maybe that will be something to cheer about.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

Malice wrote: »
    I'm hoping a few of those were just people joking.
    Hit the nail on the head there, bud. I hate Blink-182. I'd rather pour hot wax into my ears than listen to any of there dross. If you read my original comment, I used italics in an attempt to imply sarcasm. Even Blink-182 fans would be slow to call them 'talented' musicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I wouldn't say that anything guitar driven is Britpop drivel but I would say most Britpop is drivel. Blur, Pulp, some of the earlier Suede and were probably some of the few lumped in with that that weren't completely crap. Oh, and the Charlatans and Supergrass.

Verve: 2 good songs and the rest was utter bilge. Richard Ashcroft is the biggest dickhead beside Liam Gallagher to grace this planet. Ocean Colour Scene were pure muck. Cast, Dodgy, Shed Seven and all those other bands were utter tripe.

Oasis: couple of decent tunes and I always found Noel a witty interviewee but he hung around too long going through the motions with his troglodyte brother for me to have much respect for him. Still, he has made an album with the amorphous androgynous so maybe that will be something to cheer about.

I dont understand how anyway one can call liam gallagher a moron hes a successful musician and businessman with his pretty green fashion label. if anything hes quite the clever bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

ricero wrote: »
    I dont understand how anyway one can call liam gallagher a moron hes a successful musician and businessman with his pretty green fashion label. if anything hes quite the clever bastard

Maybe a successful musician but Liam's a douchebag.

Have any of you seen the way he acts around fans when they are trying to get his autograph, pictures with him etc.

He shows little interest, same as with when he's on stage with Beady Eye. Its literally just like he's there to play and then f*** off.

At least Noel appreciates his fan base.

I think anyone who reads the papers, or watches Liam live, and assumes that is what he is actually like, would want to have their head checked.

To paraphrase Christy Moore, getting up on stage is about being able to act like a singer and a performer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Oasis fans are actually lovely people. Stupid people, but sound lads nonetheless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

radiohead have been making the same album since kid a

Listen to Kid A.
    Then listen to Hail to the Thief.
    Then listen to In Rainbows.

They are three completely different albums. The only constant is Thom's voice and the quality of the music.

Now if you said "I don't like Radiohead", then that's a valid opinion (albeit one I don't understand.)
    But "Radiohead do the same thing again and again" is not an opinion. It's just a lazy and incorrect statement.
    do all radiohead fans these days hate all pre - kid a albums such as pablo honey, the bends and ok computer ?

Oh of course, shur everyone hates OK Computer. And The Bends was, like, WAAAAY too mainstream like! :rolleyes:

You seem to have a serious chip on your shoulder about Radiohead. Quite amusing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Listen to Kid A.
    Then listen to Hail to the Thief.
    Then listen to In Rainbows.

They are three completely different albums. The only constant is Thom's voice and the quality of the music.

Now if you said "I don't like Radiohead", then that's a valid opinion (albeit one I don't understand.)
    But "Radiohead do the same thing again and again" is not an opinion. It's just a lazy and incorrect statement.

Oh of course, shur everyone hates OK Computer. And The Bends was, like, WAAAAY too mainstream like! :rolleyes:

You seem to have a serious chip on your shoulder about Radiohead. Quite amusing really.

being completely honest i really do like radiohead but i wouldnt throw them on the stereo at a party or in front of people.

i like in rainbows. kid a was decent but for me the best album is the bends and ok computer. the new album is just completly boring and to depressing for my liking.

i do have a problem with certain radiohead fans who think there above other fans of music and are better than them. there egos are ****ing pathetic.

the funny thing is i always get free tickets to see them when they play because brian message is a friend of mines uncle

Oasis fans are actually lovely people. Stupid people, but sound lads nonetheless

No I completely agree, I love Oasis and have met other Oasis fans and they are sound lads/lassies.

Here's to substantiate my earlier claim about Liam and Noel.

Liam meeting the fans;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzjoxUbYHf0

Noel meeting the fans;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TUus1b8EdM

lolz2k11

karaokeman wrote: »
    No I completely agree, I love Oasis and have met other Oasis fans and they are sound lads/lassies.

Liam meeting the fans;

Noel meeting the fans;

Is that supposed to be serious?!

I think anyone who reads the papers, or watches Liam live, and assumes that is what he is actually like, would want to have their head checked.

To paraphrase Christy Moore, getting up on stage is about being able to act like a singer and a performer.

I'm sure he's a lovely chap when he's sitting at home, sipping his cup of tea with his nan's silk scarf on but it's his public persona of madferrit anti-intellectualism that I find abhorrent and it represents everything I cannot stand.

Rock and roll doesn't have to be the preserve of the inanely stupid and obnoxious. And before you start at me for being a boring Radiohead fan have a look at some of the stuff that musicians with a bit of smarts produced: Velvet Underground, David Bowie, Eels, Super Furry Animals, Sonic Youth etc… These are people that weren't afraid to rock it and they had a bit of brains behind them.

What's wrong with admiring someone for doing something smart or creative with their music? I'd much rather that than some tit that berates people for being students.

At least Noel Gallagher seems to doing something that is challenging him with the next album he releases but I have to say that first song he brought out was pretty sh¡tty.

I'm sure he's a lovely chap when he's sitting at home, sipping his cup of tea with his nan's silk scarf on but it's his public persona of madferrit anti-intellectualism that I find abhorrent and it represents everything I cannot stand.

Rock and roll doesn't have to be the preserve of the inanely stupid and obnoxious. And before you start at me for being a boring Radiohead fan have a look at some of the stuff that musicians with a bit of smarts produced: Velvet Underground, David Bowie, Eels, Super Furry Animals, Sonic Youth etc… These are people that weren't afraid to rock it and they had a bit of brains behind them.

What's wrong with admiring someone for doing something smart or creative with their music? I'd much rather that than some tit that berates people for being students.

At least Noel Gallagher seems to doing something that is challenging him with the next album he releases but I have to say that first song he brought out was pretty sh¡tty.

He essentially plays a character. You seem to be accepting that with your opening statement.

Rock 'n' Roll is about good music. It's as simple as that. If that means being Noel Gallagher, and writing good music, or being Thom Yorke, and having to play your Lebanese drum machine, hanging upside down in a cave, with your head immersed in your rectum, then so be it. Each to their own.

Thom Yorke's refusal to answer questions is more annoying for me. At least Noel attempts to give an honest answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cOfiZjxTd8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

He essentially plays a character. You seem to be accepting that with your opening statement.

Rock 'n' Roll is about good music. It's as simple as that. If that means being Noel Gallagher, and writing good music, or being Thom Yorke, and having to play your Lebanese drum machine, hanging upside down in a cave, with your head immersed in your rectum, then so be it. Each to their own.

Thom Yorke's refusal to answer questions is more annoying for me. At least Noel attempts to give an honest answer.

Tbf, I'd probably rather eat my own toes than go out for a pint with Thom Yorke and I've always said I enjoyed Noel Gallagher's interviews. I just have a bugbear about smart equaling pretentious and that rock and roll should be four chords and nothing else. Pretentious is the likes of Pete Doherty and many others who ape being intellectual without any substance and the chances are if you have someone pontificating in interviews they're usually talking sh¡t and making sh¡t music. Being someone that comes across well in interviews is a rare enough gift in pop music and Noel Gallagher is one of the few people to possess it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

edit

Much as I find Liam Gallagher funny, and I enjoy music he has sung or even written, it doesn't mean I celebrate stupidity. With a bit of luck, by the time the next census has to be returned, I'll be ticking the highest box on the education level obtained box!

I just don't get why people take Liam so seriously, when he clearly doesn't take himself seriously. For example, he recently said Beady Eye were going to sell more records than The Beatles! I just don't think that Noel could be that witty and reasonably clued in and Liam be a complete moron. I think Liam is trying to be witty, like Noel, but he just isn't as good at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Liam meeting the fans;

Noel meeting the fans;

I met Noel, had a chat with him and he was very laid back and polite! No hint of rock star arrogance although he did look like a rock star.

Temaz wrote: »
    I met Noel, had a chat with him and he was very laid back and polite! No hint of rock star arrogance although he did look like a rock star.

I wouldn't doubt it. But both of the brothers sign some autographs and then get into tour buses in those videos. I'm not sure how it proves one is a gentle giant of rock, and the other is a pretentious old lemon!

I wouldn't doubt it. But both of the brothers sign some autographs and then get into tour buses in those videos. I'm not sure how it proves one is a gentle giant of rock, and the other is a pretentious old lemon!

Tbf Liam did sign some autographs but in my mind he just seemed less interested than his brother.

If you watch the video closely you will see Noel trotting back to sign for fans he missed previously.
    For example, he recently said Beady Eye were going to sell more records than The Beatles!

I believe that this is the source you are referring to;

http://www.musicrooms.net/alternative/29999-liam-gallagher-wants-to-be-bigger-than-the-beatles.html

If you read closely you will see that at the same time he showed some doubts about whether or not his claims about Beady Eye topping the Beatles would ever happen. He actually said;

"I want to be as big as The Beatles. F*** being as big as Oasis, man, you know what I mean? I want to be bigger than The Beatles. That's what we're dealing with"

But at the same time he knows it will never happen;

"and whether we do it or not, and we probably won't, but who cares? It's just the name of the game".

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭music producer

Very disappointed to check out a live concert with McCartney & Band in New York from earlier this year and find that it had been heavily auto-tuned - lead vocals and backing vocal. How terribly sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Thin Lizzy and Rory Gallagher bore the hell out of me. They do nothing for me whatsoever.

Figured this ought to be unpopular considering they both seem to be sacred cows around here.

And just when I thought this thread was dead, but here we go again.
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    Thin Lizzy and Rory Gallagher bore the hell out of me

You haven't heard the best of their material.
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    both seem to be sacred cows around here.

Well Lynott and Gallagher are two of the most gifted guitarists in Irish history. I don't see why they shouldn't be so highly respected.

And just when I thought this thread was dead, but here we go again.
    You haven't heard the best of their material.

I don't get this. Of the sample of music he has heard by both artists - and if you live in Ireland, you're bound to hear a fair bit of both - he has decided he doesn't like them. Do people really have to hear every single song of an artist before they can make an informed decision?

'Well the last 150 songs of heard were cack but this one is great. Obviously the man's a genius!'

Obviously a lot of people hold Rory Gallagher in high regard. Me, I tend to agree with your man above in that he bores the pants off me as well. Maybe if I did listen to all his albums I might discover some hidden gems but what I've heard wouldn't persuade me in the slightest that somehow I'm missing out.
    Well Lynott and Gallagher are two of the most gifted guitarists in Irish history. I don't see why they shouldn't be so highly respected.

Lynott was a bass player.

• Advertisement

Lynott was a bass player.

For the most part yes, he also played keyboards, guitar, percussion, the harp and harmonica.

Advertisement