Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

For the first time in my life I cycled to work... to be fair I've had company cats for years and worked on the road. 26km round trip and arrives home with a rattly front wheel, two spoke x screws had come loose and gone into the cavity of the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

For the first time in my life I cycled to work... to be fair I've had company cats for years and worked on the road. 26km round trip and arrives home with a rattly front wheel, two spoke x screws had come loose and gone into the cavity of the wheel

tumblr_nchbzkCWW31tui2h8o1_1280.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

60 odd k with the club , windy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Multi club race last night, legs were heavy after the week of cycling/drinking/food in Portugal!
    Went off like a rocket, was at 39kmph for the first 10km, suffered during it, then a break went of around 5, took maybe 200m on us and I went for it.
    I along with 1 more from my club were in contention for the overall league so we worked with the team to keep us in contact.
    I hung on badly as I just felt heavy, legs and gut!, but the lads kept shouting at me to hang on. Twice I thought I was gone.
    A few of the lads from the other clubs made a few breaks but our lads brought them back.
    So we came to the final 300m with us all together, we planned on letting the other win it as he had more points than me, I looked for him but from what I could see he was inside and blocked, so one of our lads shouted at me to take his wheel, he took me to the bottom of the climb and sprint, probably a 150m finish, I was 3rd at that stage so I just pushed it as hard as I could, I realised I was passing the other 2 and was out on my own with 20m to go, nearly calved but I got over the line for my first ever race win.

Was delighted, but discovered the other guy who could have won had got into 2nd but he didn't shout me to let him pass, I was not happy with that as If I had known I would have let him by me. But a win is a win!

39km race, 1hr 1 minute @37.8kmph average.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

(Yesterday) a short spin in Dublin - first time up to Glencullen and down to Enniskerry, a pleasant spin spoiled by the ridiculously appalling surface back up to Kilternan from Enniskerry. I know they're improving it but had I known how bad the loose chippings were I wouldn't have gone that way...be warned if you're planning on heading that direction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Went to take in a few laps of the Phoenix Park before the rugby match later, I'd been to the local market earlier and was freezing so threw on some warmer gear for my spin. Ended up roasting half way along my first lap. And really dehydrated. Had a nice chat with a chap for a few minutes, but as soon as he disappeared, I crawled home. Got in the door before and barely made it to the bathroom before getting violently sick. Barely gotten out on the bike at all in the last 6 weeks, really disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,110 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Went out this morning, and decided to take on stocking lane (for only the second time ever), after it battered me a few weeks ago. took it handy most of the way up, but really suffered from past timbertrove to the car park. Managed to make it to the car park for a rest, 6 minutes faster than the previous time and not having to stop once (1 stopped 3 times the first go) Decided to carry on up as i though there was another road further on across to cruagh road that I could come back down on, I found the rest of the climb easier from the car park onwards. Started going downhill and realised my mistake that there was no other road, got as far as glencree and decided to cut across to glencullen that way and turn for home. Hit the infamous devils elbow, did not have a gear low enough to complete that and finally dropped the foot. Kept going up through glencullen and across to rathfarnham, 50k, 748m of climbing in 2hrs 30mins, more than I wanted to do but happy enough as it was on my commuting bike, and having had problems with the gears this past week, I couldn't shift into the big ring at all. Also had problems with the chain clicking out, so effectively had 4-5 gears for the whole cycle. Will not attempt anything like that again til i get it fixed and a new cassette, feeling it now in the thighs.
    also had a bee fly directly into my mouth and down my throat coming up to the pitch and putt in Glencullen, think it gave me the energy to push over the hill. Marginal gains and all that...

http://www.strava.com/activities/385264436

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Nice brisk club spin but managed to get over 9000Km for the year as a result.
    Happy camper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Few hours on the mountain bike at Leadmines. Nice day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Quick spin down to Enniskerry this morning to see how the knees feel.
    Well done yet again to Wicklow CC for completely making a balls of resurfacing the road through the Scalp. Ridiculous amount of loose chippings left on the surface. I wouldn't even drive a car through it.
    Took the back roads over towards Johnnie Foxes and Pine Forest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Brought 15 newbies on a 30k spin around North County Dublin. Great to see a Dad and his son, a few ladies and some teenagers enjoying group cycling for the first time. All ages out enjoying their bikes! Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

God was it cold this morning, turned back after 1k to get a jacket, that wasn't enough, ended up doing only 50k in total. Think I spent longer in the shower than in the saddle,

Typically it was nice and warm for the afternoon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Quick spin down to Enniskerry this morning to see how the knees feel.
    Well done yet again to Wicklow CC for completely making a balls of resurfacing the road through the Scalp. Ridiculous amount of loose chippings left on the surface. I wouldn't even drive a car through it.
    Took the back roads over towards Johnnie Foxes and Pine Forest.

Almost came off there myself today. Car wheels ensure the gravel is piled up at the sides and came close to losing the front wheel in front of a car When Cycling Through it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Today was my first century ride. 104km from Swords to Dunleer and back. Way back was defiantly easier As it was into a headwind going up.

Glad I finally broke that barrier as it's been taunting me for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

A chap collapsed and subsequently died 15km into our charity ride in Waterford this morning. There were 280 on the 110km spin and the news didn't come through till it had finished. It is a rather numb feeling tonight. That a guy should suffer a cardiac arrest and die on a spin to raise money for cardiac research makes it extra tough to take. A defib was available and a trained nurse was also taking part and immediately began CPR, he had the best attention available to assist. Eddie was only 53. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

122kms today. Greystones out the coast to Ashford and up the Devils Glen. Felt as bad as I've ever felt on a hill before. Was basically standing still at some points and really felt like turning around. Unbelievably I got a pr on the goddamn thing which makes me wonder how ****ing slow I was the other times!

Anyway, I had planned to head up to Sally Gap from Laragh for the first time but was seriously rethinking that! Thought about turning right at Annamoe and heading home but felt a bit better when I got there so decided to go for it.

Really glad I did as it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. It just seemed to go on and on though! When I got to Sally Gap I decided to go left and head for The Lamb! From there down to Tallaght and I rang my wife and arranged to meet in Enniskerry for lunch!

Had not planned for such a long day and didn't have any breakfast so that may have been my problem on the Devils Glen. Still, glad to have done it and it sets me up for the Great Dublin Bike Ride next week!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/385439624

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    A chap collapsed and subsequently died 15km into our charity ride in Waterford this morning. There were 280 on the 110km spin and the news didn't come through till it had finished. It is a rather numb feeling tonight. That a guy should suffer a cardiac arrest and die on a spin to raise money for cardiac research makes it extra tough to take. A defib was available and a trained nurse was also taking part and immediately began CPR, he had the best attention available to assist. Eddie was only 53. RIP

Jesus, that's very sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Thud

Was going to give out about gravel on Enniskerry road but its fairly insignificant compared to guy dying in charity cycle in waterford, RIP and thoughts with his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Sad news R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I was about to post about my spin today but not after reading that.

RIP Eddie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

RIP Eddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

RIP to the gentleman in Waterford!

Sad news to hear when someone dies following their passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

TheBlaaMan wrote:

Probably like so many others, I read this with tears in my eyes, at the thought of someone doing something they love for a charitable cause & paying the ultimate price. This could have been any of us. Take care out there and let us all acknowledge the good work done by so many every weekend in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

retalivity wrote: »
    ... i though there was another road further on across to cruagh road that I could come back down on..]
    If you take the road to the left when you reach the viewing point car-park, it will bring you across to Cruagh road.

I had what was probably my wettest ever ride yesterday going from northern Italy into Austria. Almost non-stop heavy rain and very cold making Alpine ascents/descents far from pleasurable.

https://www.strava.com/activities/385485655

• Registered Users Posts: 14,110 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If you take the road to the left when you reach the viewing point car-park, it will bring you across to Cruagh road.

Yeah I've taken that before, but I thought there was another further up. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

IVCA West Wicklow 100km done and dusted. 'Twas more 90km but I did a bit extra before hand and after to get me to 122.5km for the day. Bleedin' Strava Gran Fondo!

Met loads of lovely people though.

I'd talk to a stone tbh :D

Met one guy on a 5 grand "Look" frame bike.

5 Grand!

Also met a lovely guy on a 2013 Canyon CF SLX who is practically a neighbour of mine.

Great day out on the bike.

Also managed to pass the 5,000km mark for the year with little or no commuting.

I'm a happy chappie :)

Tired though!

Off work tomorrow so hope to (weather permitting) bring the new bike out for a spin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very pleasant spin today, with plenty of bumps and lumps. Rathfarnham on to the Grand Canal out to Digby's Bridge, then back on the canal south to Naas, road to Blessington, Valleymount, Wicklow Gap, Laragh, Sallygap and back to Rathfarnham. About 142k all in of mixed on and off road over about 7hr30. Loving the Rose CX bike, though still not convinced about the front disc brake, and seriously need a set of decent gloves for the bumpy stuff. For anyone thinking of doing a canal run, the section from Hazelhatch to Lyons Estate is closed (properly closed!) so be prepared to divert. I also figured out that the Garmin 800 is not that intuitive and will need to RTFM at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

@smack drop that bike to a good bike shop, like epic who know how to bleed brakes.

Chance hydraulic oil leak in transit? Email rose I bet they'd pay if transit caused problem.

New front discs should be throwing you over handlebars not leaving you unimpressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

smacl wrote: »
    Very pleasant spin today, with plenty of bumps and lumps. Rathfarnham on to the Grand Canal out to Digby's Bridge, then back on the canal south to Naas, road to Blessington, Valleymount, Wicklow Gap, Laragh, Sallygap and back to Rathfarnham. About 142k all in of mixed on and off road over about 7hr30. Loving the Rose CX bike, though still not convinced about the front disc brake, and seriously need a set of decent gloves for the bumpy stuff. For anyone thinking of doing a canal run, the section from Hazelhatch to Lyons Estate is closed (properly closed!) so be prepared to divert. I also figured out that the Garmin 800 is not that intuitive and will need to RTFM at some point.

Holding the hoods more loosely might help with the hands part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Short spin today and fancied a nice coffee, stopped into Starbucks with the bike locked about 10 metres from the front door and I sat there staring at it and sweating the whole time. Don't think I'll be stopping for many coffees lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement