Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I was going downhill yesterday from Leopardstown on a fixie bike doing about 45km. Saw the light go red in the distance so decided that I'd slow down by relaxing my legs and letting their weight drag on the pedals.

1/2 a second later and both my feet have been forcibly unclipped by the bike and I'm going downhill still at 40+ kph with my legs sticking out to the sides to avoid getting battered by the pedals.

All was OK as I have front and back brakes - it felt pretty stupid sitting on the saddle with my legs stuck out to the side on a busy road while I gently braked to a halt.

I am a fixie failure! Anyone else have something similar happen to them? Time to turn up the tension on my pedals I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Half day from work for some hill repeats
    Kilmashouge x2
    Tibradden lane x2
    Cruagh road x2
    Stocking lane x2
    Cunard road x1
    Really strong head wind on all the climbs so slow average speed as my descending isn't the best either.
    That Cunard road is bloody hard with a few climbs in your legs already. Other than the wind the weather was great.
    Legs are feeling it now.
    90 km. 2300 meters climbed.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/374110488

Edit: big kudos to the man going up kilmashouge today on a very old steel bike with a bag on the back. I think I'm been fair in saying he was 70 years old at least. Have seen him before I think on the same climb

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Had to go into town today to do some messages, so I figured I may as well head to the Phoenix Park for a couple of laps. 36km means I am now on 2,000km exactly for the year. My target for the year was 3k so I'm more or less on track. Also, I saw some poor ****er arrive to find his bike stolen. I was locking my bike outside The Mercantile, and he was holding a quick release front wheel and a U lock, looking quite forlorn. Lock your bikes properly guys

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

Did the LCC league race on Tuesday, first time in years doing a race,
    bloody great craic,
    35 k at 41 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

My first ever ride on a "proper" bike today! Picked it up from the shop, whacked a water bottle on it, let the saddle down a bit, and hit the road for my first step to losing weight and getting fit. Used Strava app on my phone. Averaged 22kph for a 10km round trip. Delighted with myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

My first ever ride on a "proper" bike today! Picked it up from the shop, whacked a water bottle on it, let the saddle down a bit, and hit the road for my first step to losing weight and getting fit. Used Strava app on my phone. Averaged 22kph for a 10km round trip. Delighted with myself!

and the adventure begins... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Congrats; well wear with the bike and good luck with the weight loss. Cycling helped me a lot in losing weight though it took time and perseverance and careful diet too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was out this doing the usual spin and went through town as the stragglers were coming home. Was looking around and caught the eye of a young one. She knew that I knew it was the walk of shame and the look on her face was priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Just back home from Paris Brest Paris - 88 hrs and 7 mins - a lot of hills and a lot of kms ! It was epic in every way, and a fantastic cycling experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

quozl wrote: »
    I was going downhill yesterday from Leopardstown on a fixie bike doing about 45km. Saw the light go red in the distance so decided that I'd slow down by relaxing my legs and letting their weight drag on the pedals.

1/2 a second later and both my feet have been forcibly unclipped by the bike and I'm going downhill still at 40+ kph with my legs sticking out to the sides to avoid getting battered by the pedals.

All was OK as I have front and back brakes - it felt pretty stupid sitting on the saddle with my legs stuck out to the side on a busy road while I gently braked to a halt.

I am a fixie failure! Anyone else have something similar happen to them? Time to turn up the tension on my pedals I think :)

A good set of clipless pedals - they shouldn't become unclipped unless you do it yourself. It happened to me on MKS Sylvan flat pedals. Bit of a fright !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

65 km with 600m of climbing , got in Christ the King in tipp too. Hadnt been up there in a while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

154 km. Navan Road to Aughrim and back with slight deviation on the route back to take in laragh at around 24 kph avg. Set out with that as a goal, but wasn't sure if I could do it, but the big aul lunch I was brought for probably aided in a big way.

big thanks to the bray wheelers who gave me directions to aughrim.

And if anyone has found a pair of prescription glasses, between enniskerry and roundwood (I took the scenic route) and a planet x arm warmer, they'd be mine!

https://www.strava.com/activities/375015569

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Here's the full ride of Paris - Brest - Paris. All 1230km and 88 and half hours of sweat (no tears). 10,691m of climbing.

The Rás this year was only 1180km and I don't know what the total metres climbed were. I had 90 hours to complete the whole ride, the Rás had eight days. Ok I was travelling at half the speed of the Rás! As usual in Audax rides, we do all the distance of the pros but at half the speed. I'd say I had about 13 hours sleep on the whole thing.

There were people sleeping in ditches, in phone boxes, in people's gardens and under road signs. Sitting, leaning or standing over their bikes. There were beds at the control points bed you had to queue to get one. I rode through the night, in fog, under blazing sunshine. I used four pairs of shorts, three jerseys and hadn't changed in 26hours on the last day. I met some great people and saw some dreadful standards of riding.

There was brilliant support in Brittany, people invited you in to feed you and give you water or coffee. There were three generations of families on the side of the road in the middle of the night and day shouting you on. There were kids in their pyjamas at 4am watching you go past.

It was great, I'd do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

shaka wrote: »
    65 km with 600m of climbing , got in Christ the King in tipp too. Hadnt been up there in a while.

Was up there not so long ago in a car whilst on holiday. Looked like a nice climb and the views of the Galtys were absolutely magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Got out early given the weather forecast. Coming home along the N11 it started to get very dark indeed. Lots of headlights coming towards me in the opposite direction (not a good sign) but no windscreen wipers on (good sign). Once I saw the Sugar Loaf almost obscured by cloud I really put the boot down. Funny how the prospect of getting a carbon bike wet gives one a second wind!!

Ironically, despite that, I had absolutely protection in the event of rain but that was deemed of no importance whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

78kms this morning. Greystones to Enniskerry and on to Stepaside. Over to Tallaght and then headed up Ballinascorney. Took the left hand turn for Castlekelly down to the reservoirs. Then up Cunard to the Featherbeds and down into Glencree. From there home via Enniskerry. Lovely morning for a spin but that climb up to the Featherbeds is a right bollocks! Only started raining about half a kilometre from home so happy days!

https://www.strava.com/activities/374707620

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Not today but yesterday did my longest cycle to date. Nearly 75km (74.8 to be precise). Edging my way closer to the milestone of 100k. The route had a very hilly second half which nearly killed me as you can see by my average. Also visited 3 provinces along the way. Dropped my phone when I stopped and it turned off so annoyingly my ride is in 2! Grrr

https://www.strava.com/activities/374056747

https://www.strava.com/activities/374056956

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

First attempt at Mamore Gap in Inishowen/Donegal today ... sweet mother of God.

Fully deserved reputation, there's a reason it has its own grotto. Not exactly appropriate but as I passed I was muttering swear swords I never knew previously existed in my vocabulary.

So, the way these things usually work is after a bit of time you gradually forgot how tough a climb is and think maybe I should give that another go. I give full permission to anyone who hears those words leave my mouth to shoot me, you may keep the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭moggie123

gambeta_fc wrote:
    Fully deserved reputation, there's a reason it has its own grotto. Not exactly appropriate but as I passed I was muttering swear swords I never knew previously existed in my vocabulary.

gambeta_fc wrote:
    First attempt at Mamore Gap in Inishowen/Donegal today ... sweet mother of God.

Yep couldn't agree more went up it (Twisty side) yesterday . I can honestly say I've never experienced a climb like it. Felt I should have bought a ladder !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

75km from Dundrum out around the Airport, Malahide back along Clontarf cycle path, following the route of the Giro and back to Dundrum.

Had one close call with a Taxi driver, didn't give me an inch to spare as he sped past me while coming to a red light. Caught up with him and said "you came to close to me". His reply "Did I hit you, did I hit you, did I hit you". Told him I was recording him, so he rolled up his window and gave more space as he passed me when the lights changed to green,

24yr7ex.jpg

34j3mrr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

Lunch time ride of 65km today, nursemaiding a grain dryer at the moment so that was all I had time for, first wear for my new Galibier Mistral foul weather jacket that we were discussing on the bargain alerts thread recently, I'm not sure the day was foul enough or the ride long enough to make any definitive decisions about it but first impressions were good, with only a light long sleeved baselayer underneath I was very warm and comfortable all through, some water did get through the seams but not enough to be any real problem.

I never really mind being out in the rain, took the winter bike with full mudguards, had a very enjoyable spin, felt the best I have since I crashed 3 and a bit weeks ago.

https://www.strava.com/activities/375674129

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Paris - Brest - Paris 1230km 88 1/2 hours. I did it! It's not on strava yet but it will be when I get better internet access. I started on Sunday at 18:15 and finished today at 10:45. 10870m climbing. I'm still feeling pretty good.

Incredible stuff, congratulations.
    It's about 1/3 the distance ad 1/2 the elevation gain of the TdF :eek:
    Not only that but they take four weeks to do the Tour de France while we did PBP in <4 days which makes us 2.5 times faster than the pros... :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

South Wexford to Dublin today, 168k at 7hr50 door to door. I thought it was raining until I got to the Sally gap where I had ample time to appreciate the subtle difference between thinking its raining and it really raining properly. All better from the hernia op I reckon, so now its just a matter of trying to find some semblance of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Excellent day on the Sean Kelly 160. Despite horrific forecasts and heavy overnight rain, not a single drop fell in the course of the cycle and the sun even made the odd appearance. Very professional organisation, a great route, stunning scenery and the best of company (especially the lads from the Southside Wheely Wheelers). Very pleased with my climbing for a change and actually felt pretty okay at the finish.
    162k in 6:20' with 2200m of climbing. 25.4kph average.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Set my self a target of 200km for this week. Had to get 40km in today to do the 200. Wet manky evening for a spin up around north dublin. Just got 41km done was glad to get home as i was starting to feel the wet and cold at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Crashed, battered and bruised, bike written off.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Shoite. More details if you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

Zyzz wrote: »
    Crashed, battered and bruised, bike written off.

:o

****e, saw a picture of you on FB at the start in Wexford, heard about a nasty crash near the finish, was hoping nobody I know was involved.

Been there, done that, not a nice place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Tackled the 5 Aquaducts 200. Due to some mix up with dates and the weather, I was the only entry on the day. Suited me grand as I usually end up on my own going at my own pace. The rain eased off the further you got from Dublin. Never rode the canal paths before but was great fun, as long as you have the bike to take the rough terrain. Around Enfield my knee started acting up so with only half the route completed it was foolish to continue, so headed back to Dublin defeated and wet.

https://www.strava.com/activities/375988219 155kms for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ive done my last bit of training for long way round/hard way round in killarney on sat.

is there anyone ells on here doing any of them.

im doing hard way round. Reakon its going to be tough enough , ive enough training done but still???

MOD- i looked for another thread on this but couldnt see one :0)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement