Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

starting glenties harvest fair cycle challenge going up glengesh

i'm in the middle !

Wise choice staying in the saddle there! Combination of drizzle on that newly resurfaced tarmac had my rear wheel spinning like a mad yoke. Very slippy, seen a few caught out and putting the foot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Quick spin around Howth an hour ago. had by far my closest incident ever with a car/van coming down towards Ceanchor Road from the Summit. Idiot tried to cross the junction meters ahead of me as I swerved out into the opposite side of the road to try and avoid him he decides to swerve back aswell. had split second visions of myself in the side of his van or the wall on the corner. Did hit the brakes as I passed and stopped on the corner but the little prick didnt even have the courtesy to roll down his window and apologise. Apart from that, nothing else exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Todays commute had the usual pedestrians.
    You know ... the ones who look before they cross the road and then cross anyway when they see you coming.

Do they just not see you?
    Expect you'll avoid them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mathie wrote: »
    You know ... the ones who look before they cross the road and then cross anyway when they see you coming.

It's simply that their brain is conditioned to react to motorised traffic in the same way that some motorists often pull out in front of cyclists despite appearing to check first.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

Weepsie wrote: »
    The rear will always wear quicker. I was advised to swap front with rear after a while to extend life of both

The other school of thought is that you should you need to replace the rear tyre is that you put the new tyre on the front and the existing front onto the rear. Basically you want the tyre least likely to fail doing the braking and steering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

mathie wrote: »

Biggest grievance when going up the quays in the morning, especially at ha'penny bridge on both sides, although most lights along the quays are problematic. I'd be going at a fair whack in the middle of the lane well away from the path and these people don't give a sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

jon1981 wrote: »
    Biggest grievance when going up the quays in the morning, especially at ha'penny bridge on both sides, although most lights along the quays are problematic. I'd be going at a fair whack in the middle of the lane well away from the path and these people don't give a sh*t.

Why would you be going at a "fair whack" if you know it is a danger point?

I don't get that.

Why would you be going at a "fair whack" if you know it is a danger point?

I don't get that.

I'd be in the middle of the lane very visible , hi viz, lights front and back even in daylight and not hugging the curb. Maybe my fair whack is not a fair whack to others 25-30kph ... Obviously when it's bumper to bumper there's not a hope of me doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

jon1981 wrote: »
    I'd be in the middle of the lane very visible , hi viz, lights front and back even in daylight and not hugging the curb. Maybe my fair whack is not a fair whack to others 25-30kph ... Obviously when it's bumper to bumper there's not a hope of me doing that.

It's 30km/h speed limit along there for a reason, so many things can go wrong for cyclists, not even I would give it 'a fair whack'..

Zyzz wrote: »
    It's 30km/h speed limit along there for a reason, so many things can go wrong for cyclists, not even I would give it 'a fair whack'..

And here's me thinking I was slow enough given how often I'm overtaken along there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Went out for a spin with a mate of mine, took it very handy @27kmph average and just had a nice chat about life, good to do every now and again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Club TT tonight, not a competition but they have decided that we do some warm up team trial, teach us how to do a proper TT
    8 km took me 11.32 @ 41.3kmph average. Was well busted at the end, but enjoyed it. Need to learn to be smoother and stop big bursts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

40 something k last night after heavy gym session Tuesday night. Legs in bits , had a mechanical and mate had a mechanical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Usual 2x20k commootle out to Bray and back last night.

Took the Croix de Fer out curiosity as it will be the winter bike.

Was terminally overdressed on the way out and nearly expired in my gilet and arm warmers.

Got a bunch of PRs, mostly on the return leg.

Also learned that offroad tyres don't feel super reassuring at 50kph.

Headed out this morning at 5:30ish as I couldn't sleep.

Fairplay to anyone doing the Dublin hills etc at that time of the morning.

I went up one dark stretch of Gunny lane and was sure a werewolf was going to get me :(

Twice I went to a certain point on Stocking lane and as I approached the uber dark abyss that lay ahead, I did a U turn.

I don't want to have my head bitten off by a Werewolf.

So I went up and down Stocking Avenue like a loolah till there was a bit of dawn light.

I may try it again tomorrow morning with a proper front light and doused in holy water. Possibly having a few wooden stakes in my Jersey pockets.

27km done with 461m climbing.

Did a lot of OOTS stuff too which seems to be paying off, eventually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

"Unknown wrote:

I may try it again tomorrow morning with a proper front light and doused in holy water. Possibly having a few wooden stakes in my Jersey pockets

You're thinking of vampires, it's silver bullets you need .....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

60 minutes with the cx bike today - 10 minutes cycling, 50 minutes walking home after I f*&ked my derailer in a 'long grass' incident :o[IMG][/img]unnamed.jpg
    free screen capture

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

colm18 wrote: »
    60 minutes with the cx bike today - 10 minutes cycling, 50 minutes walking home after I f*&ked my derailer in a 'long grass' incident :o

GCN have a good clip on turning your bike into a single speed to get you home.

Essentially tie up the rear mech and remove some links from you chain it's a clever idea if you were a long way from anywhere. Although you bugger you'd need a chain break tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-HJIMVIvGc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Headed out this morning at 5:30ish as I couldn't sleep.

Fairplay to anyone doing the Dublin hills etc at that time of the morning.

I went up one dark stretch of Gunny lane and was sure a werewolf was going to get me :(

Twice I went to a certain point on Stocking lane and as I approached the uber dark abyss that lay ahead, I did a U turn.

So I went up and down Stocking Avenue like a loolah till there was a bit of dawn light.

I may try it again tomorrow morning with a proper front light and doused in holy water. Possibly having a few wooden stakes in my Jersey pockets.

27km done with 461m climbing.

Did a lot of OOTS stuff too which seems to be paying off, eventually.

I'd love to see a werewolf, at a safe distance like :D
    Whats oots?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

terrydel wrote: »
    Whats oots?

Oots the mon of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Whats oots?

Out of the semetary? Or out of the saddle :)

roverrules wrote: »

OOTC you mean :p:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I didn't follow any particular route today. I was on the N11 southbound wondering where to head when I decided-it's a beautiful morning, the kids are at school and herself is at work-where am I going in a hurry? Not home that's for sure.

So I just headed up the back roads and turned wherever I fancied. Bottom line is I did 80km and had the N11 to one side and Roundwood/ Laragh to the other. Still managed a latte sitting outside at Mount Usher Gardens. Got home in plenty of time for the Vuelta though :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

OOTC you mean :p:pac:

Nah, Stephen King and Pet Semetary

Nah, Stephen King and Pet Semetary

Its an interesting tale why he went with that spelling. The kids in the book made a sign with 'Pet Semetary' on it, so for the title he went with the same misspelling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

what's now become my usual (twice weekly) pre-work training route over howth head, doing the climb from both sides. works out at a little over 35km with 360m of climbing according to strava, lovely spin on a day like today :)

tried to add a pic for the TOTP but doesn't come up on my work computer :(

7ho

<snip>
    Whats oots?

Correct.

I was in bits after the Tour De Kilkenny, more so than the W200, and after a week or so of thought I put it down to being OOTS a lot. An awful lot.

That TDKK 2015 was no easy spin!

I was more used to doing hills in the saddle, so I decided there was a whole "cycling" muscle group I needed to break in when standing on the pedals.

I've gone from doing about 50-150m OOTS before the back of my thighs were screaming at me, to doing up to 1km. I'd even do a fair bit of OOTS on the flat too now.

As with most things in life... practise helps a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

what's now become my usual (twice weekly) pre-work training route over howth head, doing the climb from both sides. works out at a little over 35km with 360m of climbing according to strava, lovely spin on a day like today :)

tried to add a pic for the TOTP but doesn't come up on my work computer :(

121068_imag2048_460x260.jpg

Here you go. nice pic :)

Managed 52k today, only my 2nd spin since the SKT160, its been a bit of a fallow period since!
    Nothing too strenuous, up Ballinascorney and out onto the N81 and onto the Texaco just past Blessington village. Quick turnaround and home via the Embankment Road and down thru Citywest and out past Corkcaigh park.
    Averaged 26.6kmph which wasn't bad at all considering, tho the wind if anything seemed to be with me both directions on the N81, tho not complaining!
    Just under 2 hours rolling time.
    Using my lidl speedo for only the 2nd time, after my cateye let me down on the SKT, one time too many for me, so its been binned. Lidl yoke t'is grand, not as slick but does what I need, and for €6.99 you cant really go wrong can you!
    Nice to get out, and home before this sodding rain!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Under pressure for time again today so it was a quick 28.5km spin @31.5kmph, changed the pave wheels over to 28mm Maxxis refuse tyres and got a new ultegra rd.

Was happy with average considering the wind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement