Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

climbed up rugged lane this morning, eff all in comparison to most posters here but still average 11kmph up it so Im happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

Bloggsie wrote: »
    climbed up rugged lane this morning, eff all in comparison to most posters here but still average 11kmph up it so Im happy with that.

rugged lane Lucan?
    how do you find Sommerton in comparison?, i usually go down rugged and up Sommerton

devonp wrote: »
    rugged lane Lucan?
    how do you find Sommerton in comparison?, i usually go down rugged and up Sommerton
    hi devonp.
    I havent tried Somerton as a result of that wee four legged hoor I mentioned in my previous post, I have stared using Rugged Lane as the original amended route along by Westmanstown/Luttrelstown/Castleknock Country Club the road suface is in an appalling state (Rugged Lane isnt much better)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

Just got back from Donegal today - Together with the missus, we did the M2M challenge on our own with me carrying both our bags on a rack loaned by a boardsie (thanks Alek!) We did the M2M challenge over 5 days;

Day 1 - 118km/1,299m
    Day 2 - 145km/1,090m
    Day 3 - 137km/675m
    Day 4 - 121km/999m
    Day 5 - 136km/1,114m

Each day we did a video diary for the benefit of a facebook group we're both members of; The Fellowship of Deaf Road Cyclists.

On Day 5 with Malin Head draped in glorious sunshine with views to boot, my girlfriend was under the impression that we were simply making a final video diary... Little did she know, I had quite the surprise in store for her - The video is in sign language but it's captioned for our hearing relatives & friends- Cheesy I know! Ha!

For both of us, it was our first cycling holiday and we couldn't have asked for better weather throughout the 5 days. It was quite memorable and will be a story to tell our children in 20 odd years!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Congrats man. :)

• Advertisement

Just got back from Donegal today - Together with the missus, we did the M2M challenge on our own with me carrying both our bags on a rack loaned by a boardsie (thanks Alek!) We did the M2M challenge over 5 days;

Day 1 - 118km/1,299m
    Day 2 - 145km/1,090m
    Day 3 - 137km/675m
    Day 4 - 121km/999m
    Day 5 - 136km/1,114m

Each day we did a video diary for the benefit of a facebook group we're both members of; The Fellowship of Deaf Road Cyclists.

On Day 5 with Malin Head draped in glorious sunshine with views to boot, my girlfriend was under the impression that we were simply making a final video diary... Little did she know, I had quite the surprise in store for her - The video is in sign language but it's captioned for our hearing relatives & friends- Cheesy I know! Ha!

For both of us, it was our first cycling holiday and we couldn't have asked for better weather throughout the 5 days. It was quite memorable and will be a story to tell our children in 20 odd years!
    Brilliant, what a unique way to do it!

Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I've not had a lot of free time the last month or so but had an hour last night to jump on the bike. Usually if I only have an hour I'll just do a loop around viewpoint but the thoughts of the same old route again wasn't filling me with joy so as I hit the road I turned instead towards Bohernabreena, I've gone up this way to the featherbeds before via Cunard but this time I stayed straight past the right turn towards the reservoir so I'd come out on the featherbeds a bit sooner.

Having come down this way once or twice I knew it'd be nice up there but I wasn't ready for just how beautiful a view you get when going up. On the left you have forest at the back of Hell Fire Club and on the right you have views of Seahan, Seefingan, Kippure and the cliffs at Lough Bray, with the course of the Dodder tracking down to the reservoir. Roads are smooth and there's little traffic. Really a joy to ride on and great change from the usual route up to the featherbeds.

I'd recommend everyone to try it the next time they are heading to the featherbeds instead of the usual Cruagh/Stocking Lane route.

I also had reindexed my gears last weekend after they'd been getting progressively worse on the last few rides to the point I'd lost half of them on my last spin. I'd forgotten what a pleasure properly indexed gears are, it's the little things in life!

This is the route up I took

https://www.strava.com/segments/bohernabreena-rd-to-stocking-lane-661071

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Day 1 - 118km/1,299m
    Day 2 - 145km/1,090m
    Day 3 - 137km/675m
    Day 4 - 121km/999m
    Day 5 - 136km/1,114m

Awesome, congrats mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Ryder wrote: »
    Friday after work......70 km manor Kilbride, Sally gap, military road, Glencullen and home. Annoying spin...kept raining and then sunshine so spent half my time putting on and off my rain jacket.

Highlight of the spin was getting stung on the lip. Cycling along and got hit by a large insect in the mouth. Lip like a balloon now 2 days later.

Jaysus the same happened me two days in the past 10 days same area..Lip twice and back of head....
    Bee careful out there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

119k for me today, I was hitting the 80k mark ascending Howth from Sutton and needed my coffee and scone so I resorted to a spin up the hill rather than any effort. Didn't last long as a chap in Orica gear went past me just a couple of k faster than I was going. The second half of the ascent was paced (darn you and thank you for the push).

• Advertisement

not wanting to sound like an ol fart but, what is up with some people, going up the quays & on to parkgate st the amount of spanners that will hammer past when the traffic lights go green like they are going up the champs eseylle(sorry cant spell it) on the final day of the tour only to get passed again 30-40 yards up the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Paris - Brest - Paris 1230km 88 1/2 hours. I did it! It's not on strava yet but it will be when I get better internet access. I started on Sunday at 18:15 and finished today at 10:45. 10870m climbing. I'm still feeling pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭G1032

Paris - Brest - Paris 1230km 88 1/2 hours. I did it! It's not on strava yet but it will be when I get better internet access. I started on Sunday at 18:15 and finished today at 10:45. 10870m climbing. I'm still feeling pretty good.

Well done. Congratulations to you and all the other boardsie finishers. A magnificent achievement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Serious achievement, be very proud indeed! I was following it on the PBP and Audax Ireland websites and was delighted to see yourself and _cdaly over the line. Again, major congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Crocked wrote: »

I found that by accident a while back. Lovely spin. Some evil sections too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Incredible stuff, congratulations.
    It's about 1/3 the distance ad 1/2 the elevation gain of the TdF :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Happened yesterday actually.

Heading for Cruagh Woods on a cyclocross bike, I've stopped at Rathfarnham CX grounds to give that little barstard hill a go once or twice more.

At the top I saw a well tanned gentleman with a dog and a can of Bud in his hand, sitting on the grass and definitely enjoying the evening.

"No way you're gonna make it up there!" I've heard while preparing to tackle the hill.

"Yes I will!" I said, gaining speed. But the dog, one of the small, nice but curious ones, started running towards me and I lost the momentum.

"I told ya!"

I turned around and tried once more. Managed to get up there with some effort and the gentlemen approached me.

"Holy shoite, well done, I told myself I'm gonna give you this two euros if you make it!"

He handed me a coin. Startled I took it, but then decided to give it back.

"Sorry mate, I cycle for glory not money"

"No, you keep it! I'd be offended..."

"Ok, if I manage once more you will have your two euros back." I said and went down the hill, then up, stopping by him.

"You keep this money or I go mad and have my dog kill you!"

Facing the consequences I tucked the coin the the back pocket, shook the gentlemans hand and headed for the hills like a pro I just became.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Pro-stitute

This was low mate.

(your place or mine this time?)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Trying to decide on a route to go on now.

Does anyone know if Bohernabreena Road is still closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

coach22 wrote: »
    Trying to decide on a route to go on now.

Does anyone know if Bohernabreena Road is still closed?

Was open on Wednesday evening, think they were marking the roads as there was a crew just finishing up with a truck, road was open to traffic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Alek wrote: »
    This was low mate.

(your place or mine this time?)

Inflation has priced me out of the market there can't afford that €2 lifestyle!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

One of the lads had a drone at last nights league race - thought I would share the video here as it looks well imo

https://www.facebook.com/mick.ruane.3/videos/884272781665185/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

<<Ugh, read post wrong. So mine made no sense.>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Happened yesterday actually.

I've stopped at Rathfarnham CX grounds to give that little barstard hill a go once or twice more.

Is that the course of the recent race or somewhere else? Cheers.

Is that the course of the recent race

Yes, but you can barely see the tracks at this stage. Grass grows amazingly fast! :)

Yes, but you can barely see the tracks at this stage. Grass grows amazingly fast! :)

Yes, I drove by yesterday, you can just about make out the track with the different colours of the grass. I am just on the search for suitable CX places at the moment and thought there was somewhere else near Cruagh. Cheers.

Phoenix Park for the win! You can find any CX terrain there. Well, not much sand, but Sandymound should get you sorted with this one :D

Bushy park in the morning is nice as well, just be careful with speed in the woods. Many walkers behind corners. Oh, and you are officially not permitted to cycle there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Yes, I drove by yesterday, you can just about make out the track with the different colours of the grass. I am just on the search for suitable CX places at the moment and thought there was somewhere else near Cruagh. Cheers.

AFAIK, if you go up Cruagh lane into Massey's wood which I'd say would be some fun on a CX bike. You can also cross over the far side of Massey's at Stocking lane and take the Coilte tracks up to the Hell Fire club. I take the youngest walking up there quite a bit and see people on bikes regularly.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    AFAIK, if you go up Cruagh lane into Massey's wood which I'd say would be some fun on a CX bike. You can also cross over the far side of Massey's at Stocking lane and take the Coilte tracks up to the Hell Fire club. I take the youngest walking up there quite a bit and see people on bikes regularly.

Cheers, taking delivery of a new CX bike in the next week or two so hoping to get better at falling off! The Phoenix Park sounds like a great start, plenty of space to muck up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement