Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Lovely commute from the city centre back home this afternoon. Right through the worst of the rain storm. The surprising thing was that the rain wasn't cold, it felt like it was actually a bit warm. It had been a while since the last time I got caught out in such rain. If not for the bike and helmet one could have thought that I had gone for a swim somewhere.
    Well, at least the clothes didn't get all sweaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Lovely commute from the city centre back home this afternoon. Right through the worst of the rain storm. The surprising thing was that the rain wasn't cold, it felt like it was actually a bit warm. It had been a while since the last time I got caught out in such rain. If not for the bike and helmet one could have thought that I had gone for a swim somewhere.
    Well, at least the clothes didn't get all sweaty.
    My morning ride was like that :D. Heavy rain and windy, but warm. Mates at work believe it must be some hardship. Let them stay that way, no point in arguing :).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Hmmzis wrote: »
    The surprising thing was that the rain wasn't cold, it felt like it was actually a bit warm.
    Yeah we had some great rain yesterday, real warm and pleasant. In particular, going thru deep puddles in sandals was much better than with shoes + socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

buffalo wrote: »
    Stop outside the Bike Hub, or whatever that shop is called, and realise there's a big ruin of a church right over it that I've never noticed!

Get a 'hi boardsie!' on my way home. :)

The folks in Bikehub had to move out after the last heavy rain which disturbed the graveyard in the church above ; apparantly you could see inside the coffins!:eek:

That was me who said hello (assuming you were the one in full old boards kit about 1900ish opposite St.Annes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Well my aim when I got the bike was to go up the R132 out to Lusk and visit the Bro and see if he would offer me a cup of tea. Plenty of cyclists along the way and the wind was with me(no I did not have any beans). It took just over an hour(with bag on back) to get there about 10.1 miles and I was happy with that as not cycling to long. Visited the bro and got that cup of tea.

Then headed to Donabate from Lusk and stopped at the waterside hotel for some food and took a pic which you can see at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056227577&page=80

Then the dreaded cycle back with the wind against me but not that strong and I did a first yes fly into mouth but hit my lips but I was spitting for ages(not a nice thing to do but I had reason)

Got home and happy enough with my times on Strava. I just use this app to measure my miles and not for competition as only enjoying the bike at the moment and getting use to it now the backside is almost hardened;)

Have more time off before I head back into the rat race so Mother Nature if you are a member of this forum can you:

A Make that big red thing in the sky shine down more often
    B If you are talking to Anemoi the God of wind can you tell him to not make it so strong

Onwards and upwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hands up who took advantage of that gorgeous sun to head for a spin?

With the season officially done, I decided to go for a nice leisurely spin. Marked a couple of climbs I wanted to do on the stem, and headed out. Up Cruagh, ugh. Up Kippure, jaysus. Chatted to another rider on the way to Sallygap, then turned off to head out up Luggala - not so bad from this side. Down over Old Long Hill, where I apparently set a PB on the descent despite slowing up for two hay-bale carrying tractors. Up lovers' leap, bleargh. Through Devil's Elbow, slight mechanical. Up Stepaside Lane, bloody hell.

92km with 2km of climbing (allegedly). Good spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Got a close shave from a Sky van as I was leaving Oldtown heading for Naul. I heard them coming at speed, but didn't think they'd pass so close. Too fast for me to get the reg unfortunately. It made me think, I should practice remember reg numbers of cars that pass, just in case.

I was looking for a particular climb - missed the right turn, and therefore the short sharp shock, but there will be other sunny days (I hope!) to try it properly. I thought "that road looks flat, maybe it's the next right", the next right never came.

Continued on to Balbriggan (what a terrible road), and still felt like climbing, so up to Ardgillan and then left. The road I wanted was closed, so I took a road I've not cycled before. Met Beasty along the way, ending up on the road to Rush.

A little bit of a climb, this time with the 33A on my back (waited patiently for me to get over the hill before he overtook - fair play). Enjoying the descent, until I get roared at by a passing car. They mistook me for some female genitalia. Memorised the registration this time, 04-D, black Ford Fiesta, L-plate. I'll call Trafficwatch, see if they're interested, I thought to myself. But wait! That 33A that passed me earlier is holding up traffic stopped at a stop... I could catch up. Ahh, it moved off, oh well.

A little while passes, I stop at the lights in Rush, then continue on, pass Tesco -- wait a minute! Who's that who just crossed my path coming from Chapel Green? Traffic is banked up because of the diversions on, so I'm able to pull in, wait for the traffic coming from behind me to clear, turn around and catch up for a little chat 100m down the road.

Me: "Hi lads!" *waves*
    Driver: *rolls down window*
    Me: "It's not very nice to call people names."
    Driver: "It was him!" *points to passenger in front passenger seat, hiding behind his phone, looking out his window*
    Me: "Oh, he's on the phone, is he? Well, as the driver, you're the one responsible for what your passengers do..."
    Driver: "It was him!"
    Me: "You're still responsible for what goes on in your car."
    Driver: *mumble mumble*

I turned and headed back towards Lusk. There was a Garda car in the traffic too, about 10-15 cars behind him. I wish I'd stopped for a chat (I doubt any of the three in the 04-D / L-plate car had a full licence...), but the way the traffic was moving, it might have caused problems.

The rhythm of cycling made the number plate go round and round in my head all the way home. Unfortunately, once I stopped, it left my head before I could do any reporting. So the cowering teens got away with acting the maggot. I hope the driver gave his friend a bollocking, but I doubt it. Maybe he'll think twice the next time his buddy calls shotgun.

At least it was only abuse thrown, better than a bottle or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

great day for it @buffalo, and it must have been a day for them today @robertfoster. Had a great cycle today along the coast from swords-malahide and onto fairview via the coastal route. The malahide road home was a disaster nearly got swiped 3 times the closest shave coming from the 42 bus..... i thought of all people bus drivers would always be on the look out for cyclists. All i got was "jaysus sorry bud i didnt even see you" funny looking back on it now but wouldnt have been great getting pealed off the side of the 42 :) great day all in all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

About 1km from home on a ride today I saw a guy on foot ahead stagger out onto the road. He's drunk, I thought. Then he impressively bent over backwards, righted himself, staggered forwards, bent completely over forwards. It was shaping up like a scene from a horror film, as something like a werewolf's body bursts from the form of a human. I watched in sick fascination, vaguely pondering the fact that the innocent spectators in horror films usually decide to flee a scary spectacle only after it's far too late and end up as werewolf lunch as a result.

He righted himself again, staggered forward back onto the footpath, rested his hands on the saddle of a bicycle resting against the wall (a cycling werewolf, that's a novel twist for the genre, I thought), and dropped his head between his forearms. This particular position looked uncomfortably familiar, and the sight of another guy on a bicycle nearby with a gleeful face on him seemed to confirm it - yer man wasn't transforming into a monster, he'd simply taken a solid blow to the plums. I tried my best to feel sympathy, but I couldn't hold back a bit of a smile. I'm a bad person.

Later in the ride I ate the banana I'd brought with me. It had looked okay when I picked it up at home, I couldn't have known that beneath that innocuous looking skin was an over-ripe sack of mushy rank goo. My ride was instantly drained entirely of humour, probably serves me right.

I thought I was tough, doing three climbs of Howth in the one spin. But on my last ascent, I passed a guy on a Dublin Bike. Fair bloody play pal! :cool:

• Advertisement

Set out to recce Turlough Hill, and get in a few good hills along the way. I've never done the full Wall, and every time I do Luggala my Garmin craps out, so I wanted to set a time on it finally. Turns out today would be no different.

Around near Knockree, passed a ploughing competition in full swing.

Coming over Old Long Hill, started passing a bizarre array of cyclists - hybrids, road bikes, aero bars... spotted a girl in hi-vis and a male cyclist standing at the side of road, pulled up to ask what was going on. Turns out the guy had broke his collarbone, I hadn't even realised! He was in grand form, started telling me all about the Wicklow Adventure Race. Hope he's recovering nicely!

Had a grand spin, bonked toward the end, didn't realise how long I'd be out and hadn't enough food. Thankfully it was mostly downhill from there on.

Then on St Patrick's Hill, a taxi driver decided to beep at me while I was heading up the hill and onto Winetavern Street. I was genuinely confused, and turned around in the saddle. He rolled down the window and told me to stay in the cycle lane. While I generally ignore painted pink pavements, I had a look at the junction when I came home... http://goo.gl/maps/t7QFN

I guess he's able to bunny hop the width of a car lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

Had a few great circuits around Lusk-Man O War. Plenty of other cyclists out that way this morning as well. I must have stumbled on a pretty popular route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Had a few great circuits around Lusk-Man O War. Plenty of other cyclists out that way this morning as well. I must have stumbled on a pretty popular route

That's part of my usual stomping ground on the bike. Lots from lusk, rush, skerries and beyond spin out there. There is a great wealth of routes to choose from and it's usually quiet.

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    That's part of my usual stomping ground on the bike. Lots from lusk, rush, skerries and beyond spin out there. There is a great wealth of routes to choose from and it's usually quiet.

Yeah, I loved there today. Think it'll become part of my regular routine now! Going to see what sort of routes and variations I can put to it.

Yeah, I loved there today. Think it'll become part of my regular routine now! Going to see what sort of routes and variations I can put to it.

Are you on strava?

Forgot to bring any water today, argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Did the 40k charity cycle for suicide awareness yesterday started from the Grasshopper in Clonee and did a 30k cycle today from my house in Clonee to the Phoinex park and back. Took a spin to the farmleigh market whilst in the park and picked up some nice fudge!

Didn't like the look of the black clouds, so I wore my Aldi rain jacket today. Per usual, I sweated buckets and it didn't rain. You're all welcome. Next time anyone needs a dry day, let me know and I'll wear it again.

Didn't like the look of the black clouds, so I wore my Aldi rain jacket today. Per usual, I sweated buckets and it didn't rain. You're all welcome. Next time anyone needs a dry day, let me know and I'll wear it again.

Roll it up and stick it in your pocket?

Wore mine today as well but maybe because I only did 30k or maybe I wasn't goin fast enough! But I found it was perfect tbh not too hot or cold. That said it was at like 9am. Had light gloves on too... Then shorts! Lol.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Roll it up and stick it in your pocket?
    I made the rookie error of buying one that couldn't be rolled up :(
    Wore mine today as well but maybe because I only did 30k or maybe I wasn't goin fast enough! But I found it was perfect tbh not too hot or cold. That said it was at like 9am. Had light gloves on too... Then shorts! Lol.
    I did 60km and I had to stop to cool down at one stage. The sun had the cheek to come out and everything.

l.[/QUOTE]
    I did 60km and I had to stop to cool down at one stage. The sun had the cheek to come out and everything.[/Quote]

Damn pesky sun.

I made the rookie error of buying one that couldn't be rolled up :(

Ah. You could try something like rolling the torso of it around the sleeves, and then tying it around your waist. Not an ideal solution, but might be better than boiling! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

had my longest ever cycle yesterday and feeling pretty good today to be honest. Did a charity cycle from Dublin to Sligo, apporox 235km. Average pace worked out at about 28kmph and overall time on the bikes was about 8 hours. Was unbelieveable the difference cycling in a proper group situation as compared to on my own. We were lucky enough to be joined by Mark Rohan on the last 100KM into strandhill. Thoroughly nice bloke. Those medals are feckin heavy!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did my first 100km today. Averaged about 22km. Very happy with that given that 2 months ago I didnt have a bike!

Only problem is I seem to get loads of punctures. Got another one today. Thats 4 since I got the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

godtabh wrote: »
    Did my first 100km today. Averaged about 22km. Very happy with that given that 2 months ago I didnt have a bike!

Only problem is I seem to get loads of punctures. Got another one today. Thats 4 since I got the bike!

What pressure do you have in your tyres?

whilst in the park and picked up some nice fudge!

Must resist!!!

Are you on strava?

I sure am - for all the good it did me today. Paused it when I stopped to check why my front chainring wasn't shifting and forgot to restart it...

Regardless, today worked out as my longest cycle to date. Managed about 56km. At this rate I'm adding about 8-10km to my spins every week. Pretty happy with that progress but today's one was pretty tough going. The nasty headwind on the Lusk-Skerries road didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭biffontour

godtabh wrote: »

That did happen me a few times but got decent tyres and seems to of sorted the problem, I got Bontrager Racelite tyres.

• Advertisement

Are you on strava?

I sure am - for all the good it did me today. Paused it when I stopped to check why my front chainring wasn't shifting and forgot to restart it...

Regardless, today worked out as my longest cycle to date. Managed about 56km. At this rate I'm adding about 8-10km to my spins every week. Pretty happy with that progress but today's one was pretty tough going. The nasty headwind on the Lusk-Skerries road didn't help.

Pm sent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement