Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Delighted with the draw. If we are the serious contenders that I believe we are then we have to put it all on the table. I believe that when both managers saw that draw JMcG was the one who thought "bollocks!".
    James Horan won't need any sports psychology to lift his team for this game, just play the first 10 minutes of last years AI on a loop in the dressing room and the lads will be foaming at the mouth.
    We are at the peak of a development cycle and while fitness and age wise they have another year left, if we are beaten then the psychological damage that previous teams picked up will start to set in. This really is a vital year for Mayo football. I firmly believe that this is the year for us to win it and it's better that we find out our true potential this Sunday rather than in September. Feel free to come back here next Sunday and tear this to shreds but I think we'll win by 4/5 points.
    (If we are beaten then I believe we should scrap football and start a 15 year hurling development plan)

One last thing, did anyone else feel that given whats on the line that a public draw should have been done? Surely a televised draw would have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I'm pleased with the draw:
    - Playing 3 matches in 3 successive weekends will certainly tire Donegal
    - Donegals bench is weak
    - McHugh out and Lacey not 100% means Donegals play coming out from their own 1/3 of pitch hampered
    I think looking at both teams over the last 12 months it is the Mayo squad that has moved on the most.
    - FB line - addition of Cunniffe is a great option as man marker on McFadden/Murphy
    - Midfield - Two O'Shea brothers is much improved on a much less fit AOS + Barry Moran.

Spot on Dave,Tom Cunniffe has been a great addition this year,he's got serious pace and very good positional sense.He could do a very fine man marking job if required.
    Our backs are the main launch pad for the attacks.The O Shea have been immense this year,Aidan is far fitter this year and Seamus has proven a few critics wrong including myself,he brings much needed mobility that Aidan and Barry Moran lack.Nice to have such a fine footballer as Barry as back up.
    Suppose as I harp on every year it will come down to the forwards.Not sure I'd start Dillon,seriously lacking in form/injured.I do hope they start Freeman,could be a match winner as a target man.Loads of competiition for spots with Conroy,Varley,Doherty all fighting for starting spots too.
    Muigheo Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

While I agree Seamus O'Shea has improved I think it's madness to suggest him and his brother this year are a better pairing than Barry Moran-AOS last year.

Last season both Moran and AOS were deserving of All-Stars, Seamus O'Shea has a lot still to prove if he is to be that good on the big stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I did not say that they were a better partnership,I simply said that Seamus has improved quite considerably and could hardly be dropped on performance.Barry Moran is still recovering from a long term injury and would not be match fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Syferus wrote: »
    While I agree Seamus O'Shea has improved I think it's madness to suggest him and his brother this year are a better pairing than Barry Moran-AOS last year.

Last season both Moran and AOS were deserving of All-Stars, Seamus O'Shea has a lot still to prove if he is to be that good on the big stage.
    I just think the brothers are linking up in general play and covering ground much better than AOS + Barry Moran last year. SOS has that little bit more pace than Barry Moran which is understandable as Moran is 6' 5", not a speedster and not expected to be.
    Thought Lacy skipped around Moran maybe just a little bit easily to send in the long ball for Murphys goal. He'd have skipped around our current midfielders as well but I think they'd maybe in such situations get a little bit closer to bring more pressure.
    But the main thing from watching them is they're support play for each other in attack and defence. When I first seen SOS I thought he was too far off the pace of inter county, back when he had his early season at centre forward. But the conditioning work has given him a new lease of life.
    AOS is alot smarter now. He'll give the simple handpass rather than try to bulldoze his way through wearing himself out.On kickouts he simply never seems to fumble it if it's in anyways reasonably catchable. Teams will seek to avoid him from here on in. Maybe we can use that somehow if we know teams are going to avoid OShea at all costs. i.e. they are going short or mid range to the wings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

I think Mayo will make a final. The hunger is there. They're the last team yet to win it of the big guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

This game gives the lads a great chance. Hunger will count for a lot here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I think we'll be able to take Donegal this time. Mayo have upped their game from last year while Donegal have regressed. I've never seen a Mayo team with more hunger and drive than the current one. It's do or die for Mayo this year!

Donegal had a tough route to the final last year beating Kerry and Cork and it didn't do them any harm. Mayo are a top team now and won't fear anyone. Bring on the Tyrones, Corks, Dublins, whoever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I'm pleased with the draw:
    - Playing 3 matches in 3 successive weekends will certainly tire Donegal
    - Donegals bench is weak
    - McHugh out and Lacey not 100% means Donegals play coming out from their own 1/3 of pitch hampered
    I think looking at both teams over the last 12 months it is the Mayo squad that has moved on the most.
    - FB line - addition of Cunniffe is a great option as man marker on McFadden/Murphy
    - Midfield - Two O'Shea brothers is much improved on a much less fit AOS + Barry Moran.

If they are the reasons you are pleased with the draw, you are pleased with it for all the wrong reasons.

Why would anybody want to play a team not at 100%? Where is the success in beating a team that is weakened in some way? Surely, you would like to meet a fully strength Donegal team and beat that team.
    I believe that when both managers saw that draw JMcG was the one who thought "bollocks!".

Not really sure thats the case, Would have he preferred Dublin or Kerry over Mayo? Thats debatable..... there is very little between them. At this stage of the championship, there are very few easy draws.

Is it a tough draw for Mayo? Yes, it is but most draws at this time of year are going to be tough and if you are going to win an All-Ireland, you are going to have to win tough matched.

Can Mayo beat Donegal? Yes, I can think they can but I also think it will be close.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Syferus wrote: »

Got to agree, Sheamy is a massive work horse, but Moran is more of a threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

If they are the reasons you are pleased with the draw, you are pleased with it for all the wrong reasons.

Why would anybody want to play a team not at 100%? Where is the success in beating a team that is weakened in some way? Surely, you would like to meet a fully strength Donegal team and beat that team.

Not really sure thats the case, Would have he preferred Dublin or Kerry over Mayo? Thats debatable..... there is very little between them. At this stage of the championship, there are very few easy draws.

Is it a tough draw for Mayo? Yes, it is but most draws at this time of year are going to be tough and if you are going to win an All-Ireland, you are going to have to win tough matched.

Can Mayo beat Donegal? Yes, I can think they can but I also think it will be close.
    Yes you have a point about preferring to beat a full strength Donegal Even if McHugh Lacey fit n they had an extra week I think we could have enough It was a post just looking at current state both teams Donegal will try n use power n size of McFadden Murphy n the improved Mcbrearty to score heavy Thats the game decider for me Those three still worry me McGlynn is good cover for Lacey McHugh a loss but it aint a Murphy Mcfadden or even a Mcgee type loss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭naughto

was there club games this weekend??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Yes you have a point about preferring to beat a full strength Donegal Even if McHugh Lacey fit n they had an extra week I think we could have enough It was a post just looking at current state both teams Donegal will try n use power n size of McFadden Murphy n the improved Mcbrearty to score heavy Thats the game decider for me Those three still worry me McGlynn is good cover for Lacey McHugh a loss but it aint a Murphy Mcfadden or even a Mcgee type loss

McHugh is as big a loss as either of the big two in Donegal's system, if not more so. Certainly more essential than either McGee too. The entire game runs through him and Donegal have looked lost in attack without him the last two days.

The idea that Donegal can put someone else in McHugh's role and get a similar result was put to bed via Ryan Bradley's array of passes to Laois last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah McHugh is Donegal's MVP by a distance for me as well.

What did people make of Jimmys rant? I didn't see it myself but reaction on FB seems to be that he was OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,137 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oh for F**k sake

Why would people not be pleased that they are facing a less than 100% Donegal.
    No doubt if Mayo win on Sunday we will have more here spouting that it means nothing because it was not a 'test'.

If Mayo won an All Ireland beating teams for here on in that were not 100% I'd care less because you can only play and beat what is put in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Booked my ferry back for it...£10 day return from Holyhead!
    Thank you Stena Line!

...cheaper than travelling from Mayo itself :pac:

Oh for F**k sake

Why would people not be pleased that they are facing a less than 100% Donegal.
    No doubt if Mayo win on Sunday we will have more here spouting that it means nothing because it was not a 'test'.

If Mayo won an All Ireland beating teams for here on in that were not 100% I'd care less because you can only play and beat what is put in front of you.

Yes, you can only beat what is front of you.

But why would anybody want to wish to play a team cos that team has injuries? For example, Would you prefer to see Mayo play a Dublin team without a fully fit and in form Bernard Brogan? I wouldnt. Just like I wouldnt like to see Dublin play a Mayo team without a fully fit Keith Higgins. They are just two simple examples.

I was responding to a post from somebody else who stated Donegal was a good draw because they currently have injuries. If you are going to the Mayo game on Sunday, why would you want to see a Donegal team anything less than a team at 100%? Because it ensures a Mayo victory? I would like to see two teams at 100% and see the best team win (which very well could be Mayo). Dont see why any football fan should have a problem with that. :confused:

But why would anybody want to wish to play a team cos that team has injuries? For example, Would you prefer to see Mayo play a Dublin team without a fully fit and in form Bernard Brogan? I wouldnt. Just like I wouldnt like to see Dublin play a Mayo team without a fully fit Keith Higgins. They are just two simple examples.

I was responding to a post from somebody else who stated Donegal was a good draw because they currently have injuries. If you are going to the Mayo game on Sunday, why would you want to see a Donegal team anything less than a team at 100%? Because it ensures a Mayo victory? I would like to see two teams at 100% and see the best team win (which very well could be Mayo). Dont see why any football fan should have a problem with that. :confused:

personally I am delighted that Donegal are not 100% cos it makes Mayo's chances of winning even better, and I am happy that they got a less than 100% Donegal in the draw.

And if Mayo meet a Dublin minus Bernard Brogan I would be fine with that too, you can talk all the altruistic BS all you like but at the end of the day if my team are in a better position because another team have injuries then I am happy.

You really do have a problem with Mayo, don't you ?

A few months back you were complaining about us having 'confidence', and now that Mayo got a bruised and battered Donegal in the QFs you get on some high horse about not wishing to meet other teams that are not 100%.

• Advertisement

personally I am delighted that Donegal are not 100% cos it makes Mayo's chances of winning even better, and I am happy that they got a less than 100% Donegal in the draw.

And if Mayo meet a Dublin minus Bernard Brogan I would be fine with that too, you can talk all the altruistic BS all you like but at the end of the day if my team are in a better position because another team have injuries then I am happy.

You really do have a problem with Mayo, don't you ?

A few months back you were complaining about us having 'confidence', and now that Mayo got a bruised and battered Donegal in the QFs you get on some high horse about not wishing to meet other teams that are not 100%.

Well I guess we just have different viewpoints. Perhaps I am a football fan number 1 and a Galway fan number 2. Perhaps you are a Mayo fan number 1 and a football fan number 2.

I remember seeing MF Russell & Seamus Moynihan in full flight for Kerry against Galway in All-Ireland finals in 2000. They destroyed Galway. Sure, I was disappointed to see Galway lose. But I am ABSOLUTELY glad I got to witness two great great footballers at the top of their game playing against my county. The same can be said many times when I have seen Henry Shefflin play for Kilkenny is the the last 15 years. The same can be said about Andy Moran for Mayo too. I prefer to see both teams in a match being full strength.

By the way, I never complained about Mayo fans being confident. I said some of ye were being over confident talking about All-Ireland finals in June. The time to talk about All-Ireland finals is the day you win an All-Ireland semi-final.

I dont have a problem with Mayo. I applied the exact same logic to every other county. Even when Galway are playing Kilkenny in the hurling the last few years, I always wanted to see the best Kilkenny team. I never wanted to meet a Kilkenny - Shefflin. Just like I never wanted to meet a Mayo - Moran. Just like I never wanted to meet a Kerry - Moynihan. I have made the same point on here in the past too. I remember making it for the Offaly - Waterford game where somebody was saying "Poor Offaly, they got a bad draw again" where they stated it would be better that they got somebody like Wexford. I made the point then asking why would you prefer to play Wexford when Waterford have better hurlers? So while you may disagree with me, at least I am consistent on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Astala

Would you like us to try to delay the match for a few months so Donegal can have a fully fit team, and we can have a match that you would prefer?

Stop talking crap. We were missing Andy Moran for the final last year and we accepted it. It comes with playing sport.

Astala wrote: »
    Would you like us to try to delay the match for a few months so Donegal can have a fully fit team, and we can have a match that you would prefer?

Stop talking crap. We were missing Andy Moran for the final last year and we accepted it. It comes with playing sport.

For feck sake, I wasn't saying that at all. And you know I wasnt.

I am just saying that its not the right attitude to be happy with a draw because another team has injuries to certain players. I would apply the very same logic to Donegal last year. If I was a Donegal fan, I would prefer to be playing a Mayo with Moran than a Mayo without Moran in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Well I guess we just have different viewpoints. Perhaps I am a football fan number 1 and a Galway fan number 2. Perhaps you are a Mayo fan number 1 and a football fan number 2.

Being a Galway fan is very different from being a Mayo fan.

The majority of Mayo fans would just want to see them win at this stage. Just win. If a weaker Donegal makes for better chances of winning then all the better.

We've come up against enough of the best teams/players over the years and it'd be great if there was an All-Ireland to show for it. But there isn't. So at this stage, any win will do.

For feck sake, I wasn't saying that at all. And you know I wasnt.

I am just saying that its not the right attitude to be happy with a draw because another team has injuries to certain players.

No problems, but you're coming across as if you're saying that injuries in another team will warrant a win for the other team as being less impressive.

We have loads of injuries to our team; we had them against Galway, Roscommon, slightly better for the Connacht final, and we still are without a number of our players.

Astala wrote: »
    No problems, but you're coming across as if you're saying that injuries in another team will warrant a win for the other team as being less impressive.

We have loads of injuries to our team; we had them against Galway, Roscommon, slightly better for the Connacht final, and we still are without a number of our players.

Ok well I didnt mean to come across that way.

I think fans should want to see their team play against the best opponents.

If Mayo win on Sunday, will it diminish their win? No, it will not.

I remember seeing MF Russell & Seamus Moynihan in full flight for Kerry against Galway in All-Ireland finals in 2000. They destroyed Galway. Sure, I was disappointed to see Galway lose. But I am ABSOLUTELY glad I got to witness two great great footballers at the top of their game playing against my county. The same can be said many times when I have seen Henry Shefflin play for Kilkenny is the the last 15 years. The same can be said about Andy Moran for Mayo too. I prefer to see both teams in a match being full strength.

By the way, I never complained about Mayo fans being confident. I said some of ye were being over confident talking about All-Ireland finals in June. The time to talk about All-Ireland finals is the day you win an All-Ireland semi-final.

I dont have a problem with Mayo. I applied the exact same logic to every other county. Even when Galway are playing Kilkenny in the hurling the last few years, I always wanted to see the best Kilkenny team. I never wanted to meet a Kilkenny - Shefflin. Just like I never wanted to meet a Mayo - Moran. Just like I never wanted to meet a Kerry - Moynihan. I have made the same point on here in the past too. I remember making it for the Offaly - Waterford game where somebody was saying "Poor Offaly, they got a bad draw again" where they stated it would be better that they got somebody like Wexford. I made the point then asking why would you prefer to play Wexford when Waterford have better hurlers? So while you may disagree with me, at least I am consistent on this one!

I am a football fan, I go to/watch more games not involving Mayo than games involving them
    But I would love more than anything else in football to see Mayo win and All Ireland, and I don't really care how they do it.

As of the 'over confidence' thing, it's now almost August, and nothing has changed since June, Mayo are still involved, they are still due to meet Donegal and I am as confident as I was in June that they will get to the final
    Is that Ok with you now that it's almost August or do I have to wait ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I tend to agree with Inchicore too in that Id prefer Mayo to face a full strength Donegal (but still have no problems if they're missing couple big players!) as I know this Mayo team is capable either way of beating this Donegal side. Plus the fact at this stage of the competition, the best players for each county need to play

Ok well I didnt mean to come across that way.

I think fans should want to see their team play against the best opponents.

If Mayo win on Sunday, will it diminish their win? No, it will not.

I agree with you. It doesn't come across well on the internt that someone is glad that there are injuries to the team they're playing against. Although it is only natural for a supporter to want to have a better chance of seeing their team win, being happy that there is a lad injured is not being a good supporter.

Yeah, I agree with ya. At the same time, I do think that most supporters would want to maximise the chances of their team winning, so they don't want to have a full-strength team to play against, particularly with the fact that we have injuries, too.

• Advertisement

Fowler87 wrote: »
    I tend to agree with Inchicore too in that Id prefer Mayo to face a full strength Donegal (but still have no problems if they're missing couple big players!) as I know this Mayo team is capable either way of beating this Donegal side. Plus the fact at this stage of the competition, the best players for each county need to play

What is that supposed to mean ?
    What if they are incapable of playing as is the case with a few Donegal and Mayo players ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement