Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭naughto

and vice versa, all Cork supporters would love to get Mayo in the draw tonight.
    if ye play like ye did today up untill the 50-60minute against us then we will gladly take ye

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Syferus wrote: »
    He did the right thing, even if the proto body block was a borderline penalty decision. It was an easy goal for London otherwise, you're remembering the chance all wrong.

It wasn't that incident, your not remembering the incident at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fingers crossed for a decent draw.

mayo vrs donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Bring em on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Tyrone on our side of the draw as well. We got the toughest draw possible for us I think.

Tough draw

Tyrone on our side of the draw as well. We got the toughest draw possible for us I think.

better that we are playing them now and not the final

mayo vrs dub allireland final

Kerry v Cavan
    Dublin v Cork
    Tyrone v Monaghan
    Mayo v Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

This is going to be a huge step up from London!

Don't know what to make of it, suppose if we are to go anywhere in this championship we'll have to meet them at some stage...might as well be now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Nowhere to hide now people!

Remember Mayo's record against reigning AI Champions in the modern era??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Nowhere to hide now people!

Remember Mayo's record against reigning AI Champions in the modern era??

I think the fact that Mayo were underdogs in them games played a huge factor. They played some of the best football I've seen against the reigning champions (Cork 2011 being my favourite).

But this time they aren't underdogs. Most people are already tipping them to beat Donegal. The favourites tag (albeit slight favourites) might not be in their favour this time.

At this early stage I can see them putting in a good fight and things have changed since the AI Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

And another example of the same thing from Galway this time. All other Connacht teams now out but not without making an impression on the championship.

Mayo would take a Cork team playing like that easily, but if Cork decide to get interested they are capable of so much more. For that reason they'd still be a very difficult proposition if we got them in the quarters. Galway on the other hand would have been easy pickings again if they'd sneaked through and we drew them. Unfortunately not to be.

Galway beating Armagh was a very good result for them, going on what they had produced so far in this year's championship. They should have seen it out today though.

Mayo V Donegal is one to look forward to.

I think the fact that Mayo were underdogs in them games played a huge factor. They played some of the best football I've seen against the reigning champions (Cork 2011 being my favourite).

But this time they aren't underdogs. Most people are already tipping them to beat Donegal. The favourites tag (albeit slight favourites) might not be in their favour this time.

At this early stage I can see them putting in a good fight and things have changed since the AI Final.

Not sure if they'll be favourites to any great degree,certainly not against the reigning all Ireland champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

seligehgit wrote: »
    Not sure if they'll be favourites to any great degree,certainly not against the reigning all Ireland champions.

I'd agree with that.

Donegal and McGuinness have built up an aura about them and even though they lost last weekend it's still there.

Jimmy's winning matches and all that craic.

Mayo on the other hand have a reputation, rightly or wrongly, of being chokers and an easy touch.

You see it every year, even this year before the Galway game, people are quick to right off Mayo no-matter how good of a team they are.
    I suppose they won't shake that off until they win the big one!

Donegal will be slight favorites and that will suit Mayo.
    That's the only positive from the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fleck

Mayo 4/6 Donegal 6/4, they're clearer favoutites with paddypower that i make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

fleck wrote: »
    Mayo 4/6 Donegal 6/4, they're clearer favoutites with paddypower that i make them.
    Mental odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Mayo favourites in this is accurate. Why downplay the chances?

Mayo hunger counts for a lot. Revenge for last time out and Donegal also have injuries and playing 3 games in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

• Registered Users Posts: 15,137 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Delighted with the draw.

Donegal are certainly there for the taking, no better time to meet then

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No harm that, tough draw, it will be a test. No point in getting an easy game and waltz into a semi.

• Advertisement

GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-Finals
    Saturday, August 3
    Monaghan v Tyrone, Croke Park, 5pm
    Dublin v Cork, Croke Park, 7pm
    Sunday, August 4
    Kerry v Cavan, Croke Park, 2pm
    Mayo v Donegal, Croke Park, 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I'm pleased with the draw:
    - Playing 3 matches in 3 successive weekends will certainly tire Donegal
    - Donegals bench is weak
    - McHugh out and Lacey not 100% means Donegals play coming out from their own 1/3 of pitch hampered
    I think looking at both teams over the last 12 months it is the Mayo squad that has moved on the most.
    - FB line - addition of Cunniffe is a great option as man marker on McFadden/Murphy
    - Midfield - Two O'Shea brothers is much improved on a much less fit AOS + Barry Moran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

yop wrote: »
    No harm that, tough draw, it will be a test. No point in getting an easy game and waltz into a semi.

I suppose the problem is unfortunately ye didn't get much of a test in Connacht whereas Donegal are battle hardened. Cavan would have been ideal for ye I think, tough competitive game but one ye could expect to come through.

Donegal have been in tough games but against what I wouldn't think are contenders.
    - Beat Tyrone (Tyrone are spluttering through championship have fell over the line against Roscommon/Meath)
    - Came up against possible contender Monaghan and were beaten convincingly
    - Laois today sent a 17 year old out to deal with the likes of the McGee brothers. Laois had it down to 2 pts near the end and are firmly a total non-contender.
    Two key players for Mayo. Robbie Hennelly and Alan Freeman. If they both can perform to a decent level I think Mayo should have enough.
    Last year there was no target man whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Meanwhile I see that the 'neutral' venue for the Mayo minor game against Westmeath is Tullamore. Fecks sake, do the people who organize these games not have access to maps? Why not have it in Longford?

AngeGal wrote: »
    I suppose the problem is unfortunately ye didn't get much of a test in Connacht whereas Donegal are battle hardened. Cavan would have been ideal for ye I think, tough competitive game but one ye could expect to come through.

Battle hardened against who? A Tyrone team who Roscommon should have beaten, which we did well, or a Down team who again left it behind them, but for wayward shooting, hitting the post twice and a lack of ability to score from play would have beaten Donegal?
    Down then went out meekly to Derry.

Connacht has been poor for the last 2 or 3 years, it didn't harm us in before this.

Be a competitive game, Donegal are bound to get themselves up for it, us been favorites I dont like.
    If our lads aren't up for this then they may as well not be there.

Meanwhile I see that the 'neutral' venue for the Mayo minor game against Westmeath is Tullamore. Fecks sake, do the people who organize these games not have access to maps? Why not have it in Longford?
    Effectively a home venue for Westmeath. Longford would have been the simplest and fairest.

Battle hardened against who? A Tyrone team who Roscommon should have beaten, which we did well, or a Down team who again left it behind them, but for wayward shooting, hitting the post twice and a lack of ability to score from play would have beaten Donegal?

Connacht has been poor for the last 2 or 3 years, it didn't harm us in before this.

Be a competitive game, Donegal are bound to get themselves up for it, us been favorites I dont like.
    McGloghlin/AOS/Keegan/Vaughan/Boyle/Higgins. Those six usually are the platform from which we launch attacks. All six this year are pretty consistent and are usually our top performers with Freeman chipping in as well.

Donegal have been in tough games but against what I wouldn't think are contenders.
    - Beat Tyrone (Tyrone are spluttering through championship have fell over the line against Roscommon/Meath)
    - Came up against possible contender Monaghan and were beaten convincingly
    - Laois today sent a 17 year old out to deal with the likes of the McGee brothers. Laois had it down to 2 pts near the end and are firmly a total non-contender.
    Two key players for Mayo. Robbie Hennelly and Alan Freeman. If they both can perform to a decent level I think Mayo should have enough.
    Last year there was no target man whatsoever.

i would be a lot happier if clarke was in goal for us,when they start lobing in high balls in to our square i hope he is able to deal with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I'm saying that they have had four competitive games (including against two teams who are also in the last eight) whereas ye have had none. Just felt Cavan would have been ideal prep for an almost certain semi final.

I want ye to win and if ye do win think ye'll be very hard to stop but if I was a Mayo person I wouldn't be thrilled about the draw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement