Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

seligehgit wrote: »
    List of Mayo's 2015 National League Fixtures(Provisional)

Early chance to get some small measure of revenge!

What's the source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

km79 wrote: »
    that's 3 long away trips.......where is the Dublin match that its on at 7...../surely not croke park

I think we're at home for that one km79,we've had to travel to Croker the last 2 years you might recall.
    The source is the Mayo GAA Banter Page on Facebook.
    Hopefully we can use the FBD league and National League to experiment with some new players whilst staying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Great, 4 home matches

• Registered Users Posts: 48,146 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think we're at home for that one km79,we've had to travel to Croker the last 2 years you might recall.
    The source is the Mayo GAA Banter Page on Facebook.
    Hopefully we can use the FBD league and National League to experiment with some new players whilst staying up.

I know buts its down as 7pm ?
    under lights at McHale park ? be nice

km79 wrote: »
    I know buts its down as 7pm ?
    under lights at McHale park ? be nice

Presume so,Kildare game was under floodlights on a Saturday night 2 years ago.Makes for a great buzz,especially when the Dubs come to town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,146 ✭✭✭✭km79

Presume so,Kildare game was under floodlights on a Saturday night 2 years ago.Makes for a great buzz,especially when the Dubs come to town.

paddys weekend too . nice !

yop wrote: »
    Think it would be perfect, but cant see it happen.

Very doubtful Connelly would want to be a number 2 to anybody,same would likely apply for McStay.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We had Dublin under lights a few years back didn't we? Postponed due to fog? Love them night game, few hot drinks at the match then a few pints after ;)
    Wont make Cork or Kerry but will head up to Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

List of Mayo's 2015 National League Fixtures(Provisional)

Early chance to get some small measure of revenge!

You better start hoping that Donegal win on Sunday. Coz if they don't, you will have the dubious honour of clapping Kerry onto the pitch in Kilarney, as All Ireland champs. Won't that be fun? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Am I the only one struggling to see the SENIOR managerial credentials of Connelly? Not assistant manager, not co-manager, but the boss, the head honcho.

I see it as an inside job if Connelly gets this one. It looks like the Ballina crowd have few friends on the County Board, especially since they chose not to contribute funds to the county training fund.

James Horan is right, the County Board are a farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oldtree wrote: »
    Great, 4 home matches

If its true then it will be very handy in trying to consolidate Div 1 status whilst blooding new players.

Anything after that is gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Are any other counties league schedules available, even if just in provisional form?

I think the league will be an absolute blood bath in 2015. Seven out of the eight counties will have been in an AI final or semi final in the past couple of years. There will be no easy games at all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You better start hoping that Donegal win on Sunday. Coz if they don't, you will have the dubious honour of clapping Kerry onto the pitch in Kilarney, as All Ireland champs. Won't that be fun? :rolleyes:

Ah it has to be done, when the dust settles the better team beat us and if they are AI champions then we have to do as any team would do to us and clap them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    What's the source for this?

leaguefixtures2015_zpsbad2ece6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Looks set to be Connelly from all the talk... a thought has struck me though... what if Hollymount progress into 2015 in the Intermediate Championship? They are looking favourites to win Mayo so its not a very unlikely scenario considering how well our last 2 Intermediate winners have done.

He'd then be managing Mayo AND Hollymount for a few months?

realweirdo wrote: »
    Am I the only one struggling to see the SENIOR managerial credentials of Connelly? Not assistant manager, not co-manager, but the boss, the head honcho.

I see it as an inside job if Connelly gets this one. It looks like the Ballina crowd have few friends on the County Board, especially since they chose not to contribute funds to the county training fund.

James Horan is right, the County Board are a farce.

Out of curiosity what are these "
    SENIOR managerial credentials " you speak of ?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

McStay or Connelly / Holmes

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=15542

KMFCross wrote: »
    McStay or Connelly / Holmes

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=15542

Voted for McStay!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Is McStay and Connelly as a dream team a non starter ? ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,087 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

blinding wrote: »
    Is McStay and Connelly as a dream team a non starter ? ? ?

Can't see it at this stage. would require agreement of all parties including Holmes...

• Advertisement

Can't see it at this stage. would require agreement of all parties including Holmes...
    Maybe McStay with Connelly and Holmes as selectors and maybe Send Off Liam McHale somewhere to see how he handles it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,087 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

blinding wrote: »
    Maybe McStay with Connelly and Holmes as selectors and maybe Send Off Liam McHale somewhere to see how he handles it :P

Presumably Connelly would prefer the top job to being McStay's deputy, and if bookies/word on the online street are anything to go by, he has at the very least a decent shot at it, so why shouldn't he go for it?

In fairness there are no guarantees when picking a new manager.

Coz if there was ever team would pick the Guaranteed manager.

I hope Mayo get it right by whatever means. I don't even mind if there is luck involved !

Presumably Connelly would prefer the top job to being McStay's deputy, and if bookies/word on the online street are anything to go by, he has at the very least a decent shot at it, so why shouldn't he go for it?

Nothing against Connelly personally, but he's unproven as a manager at senior level which makes it a gamble.

There are lots of managers hanging around Mayo who have got Mayo senior county teams or clubs to AI finals. Its getting them across the line is what is needed, that little bit extra on the mental side as well as the tactical side.

Castlebar for example didn't have it last year in Croke Park. St. Brigids did the year before.

No-one can doubt McStay is proven. Plenty can doubt that Connelly is as a manager of a senior side. It would be a gamble appointing him in my view.

Nothing against Connelly personally, but he's unproven as a manager at senior level which makes it a gamble.

There are lots of managers hanging around Mayo who have got Mayo senior county teams or clubs to AI finals. Its getting them across the line is what is needed, that little bit extra on the mental side as well as the tactical side.

Castlebar for example didn't have it last year in Croke Park. St. Brigids did the year before.

No-one can doubt McStay is proven. Plenty can doubt that Connelly is as a manager of a senior side. It would be a gamble appointing him in my view.

I think it would be unwise to reject a candidate just because they have not wonna senior AI title, which seems to be your basis for rejecting Connelly over McStay.

Who are the managers that won with Cross. and Ballina back in the day ?
    Should they be not be candidates ?

I don't think that the sole selection aim should be getting someone who can get them "across the line" is a wise idea.

They have to have a broader outlook.

Sure this team is close to getting across the line, they are still a top team in the country, but getting someone who will rely on the existing squad and try to get them across the line with minimal changes is dangerous.
    If you fail then you set the process back a good few years, cos some of these guys are getting to the stage where they can't give any more.

What you need is major squad improvement, the addition of youth and depth across the board.
    That then give you a better chance of being at the top for longer and eventually the win will come.

Look at Cork in the 00s, they were around a long time, but they eventually won.

Of the above scenarios, it think McStay gives you the former, but Connelly gives you the latter

I think it would be unwise to reject a candidate just because they have not wonna senior AI title, which seems to be your basis for rejecting Connelly over McStay.

Who are the managers that won with Cross. and Ballina back in the day ?
    Should they be not be candidates ?

I don't think that the sole selection aim should be getting someone who can get them "across the line" is a wise idea.

They have to have a broader outlook.

Sure this team is close to getting across the line, they are still a top team in the country, but getting someone who will rely on the existing squad and try to get them across the line with minimal changes is dangerous.
    If you fail then you set the process back a good few years, cos some of these guys are getting to the stage where they can't give any more.

What you need is major squad improvement, the addition of youth and depth across the board.
    That then give you a better chance of being at the top for longer and eventually the win will come.

Look at Cork in the 00s, they were around a long time, but they eventually won.

Of the above scenarios, it think McStay gives you the former, but Connelly gives you the latter

There is a well known hang-up in mayo football about getting over the winning line, a hoodoo you might say. There have been Mayo teams who have lost finals because they weren't good enough. But there have been Mayo teams who were good enough but for one reason or another didn't win when they should have. McStay has shown he can overcome this hoodoo on the big day in Croke Park. Show me where Connelly has done likewise? Himself and Holmes had their chance last year and Diarmuid Connolly was running the show when it was obvious from early on something needed to be changed and him double marked at least. There was no tactical astuteness from what I could see. Holmes also had his time as Mayo manager and the results were very mixed. No-one takes the League seriously in recent decades. It's a warm up to the Championship, little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Looks set to be Connelly from all the talk... a thought has struck me though... what if Hollymount progress into 2015 in the Intermediate Championship? They are looking favourites to win Mayo so its not a very unlikely scenario considering how well our last 2 Intermediate winners have done.

He'd then be managing Mayo AND Hollymount for a few months?

Cunningham managed Garrycastle to an AI football final replay while starting out as the Galway hurling manager. Hardly unprecedented but it would be added strain on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

There is a well known hang-up in mayo football about getting over the winning line, a hoodoo you might say. There have been Mayo teams who have lost finals because they weren't good enough. But there have been Mayo teams who were good enough but for one reason or another didn't win when they should have. McStay has shown he can overcome this hoodoo on the big day in Croke Park. Show me where Connelly has done likewise? Himself and Holmes had their chance last year and Diarmuid Connolly was running the show when it was obvious from early on something needed to be changed and him double marked at least. There was no tactical astuteness from what I could see. Holmes also had his time as Mayo manager and the results were very mixed. No-one takes the League seriously in recent decades. It's a warm up to the Championship, little more.

I would agree with this. I think McStay is a better option. I am not a fan of Mchale if this is his side kick. However, I would pick McStay over a double act even with Mchale.

I am not gone on Holmes. I don't think he is the sharpest of guys to spot where the problems are steming from. Also I always feel when two guys need to join together to be the main men, this says there is some inadequacy in both. I just prefer one main man.

As far as I have researched Connelly had nothing to do with Castlebar in 2014.

So you are giving McStay all the credit for St. Bridget's success in 2013 and blaming Connelly for something he had nothing to do with in 2014

So you don't have a clue what you are on about.

• Advertisement

I would agree with this. I think McStay is a better option. I am not a fan of Mchale if this is his side kick. However, I would pick McStay over a double act even with Mchale.

I am not gone on Holmes. I don't think he is the sharpest of guys to spot where the problems are steming from. Also I always feel when two guys need to join together to be the main men, this says there is some inadequacy in both. I just prefer one main man.

I'd prefer to see Connelly on his own as manager but if Holmes was a selector or whatever no problem.
    But official joint managers are not ideal as you suggest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement