Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

threeball wrote: »
    Well yesterday it was the ref that fell way short on good standards and once he let Enright stay on the pitch after the first peno both team knew they could pretty much what they want. Mayo got more physical and Kerry got more cynical. He then keep compounding this error by applying different standards to different areas of the pitch so what was a foul 25yrds from goal wasn't a foul 50yrds from goal. And then he took it a step further and began reffing both teams to different standards to the point where even standing next to Donaghy was interpreted as a foul.
    That was the problem in this game and has been the problem for quite a few years with Gaelic football. The only consistent ref I can remember is Pat McEneaney.

Agree with everything bar last sentence.

As for yesterday well we played a half decent Kerry team with some outstanding players (Moran being the best) and for chunks of the match a guy from Meath.

I think Horan, much like Maughan before, did a great job up to a point, but they both seemed to lack the tactical ability to ultimately land the big prize.
    Horan's biggest achievement I think was instilling a never say die attitude amongst a team that took a lot of body blows.
    Beaten in 2012, beaten in 2013 and still coming back for more.
    Hell last week we lost a player, were 5 points down and still came roaring back.

I think without the influence of the aforementioned Meath man the worst that Mayo should have come out of yesterday with was a draw.

I think most of the incidents the ref got wrong are covered in post above by davegrohl48.
    Suffice it to say most times something was let slide it appeared to hurt Mayo more than Kerry.

The big questions I now have are ...
    can someone explain how Enright managed to stay on the pitch until subbed and how do you now tackle/compete against a big tall full forwards without it being a free in ?

Oh and I know one other poster mentioned it, but I would like to hear Pat Spillane's comments on his county's current team or his comments only applicable to Northern teams.

Being from Mayo you get used to being beaten by better teams on big days.
    Getting royally screwed over (pardon the pun) by an offical so a comparable team wins is the thing that grates for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

padd b1975 wrote: »
    He did, different times and a bit less commitment required back then.

McStay would be my choice too, not many AI winners knocking around the county.

Ah the military traditionally give a bit of leeway where sport is concerned. Back in the day when Romanian rugby was good their team was composed virtually entirely of Securitate men!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any indication that Kevin McStay would be interested in the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

feargale wrote: »
    Ah the military traditionally give a bit of leeway where sport is concerned. Back in the day when Romanian rugby was good their team was composed virtually entirely of Securitate men!

Apparently he's retired from the Army so the star would seem to be aligned for him to take the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rankingelite

Kevin McStay will probably be the bookies favourite, Liam Mchale wouldn't be a bad choice either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Kevin McStay will probably be the bookies favourite, Liam Mchale wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Either would be just more of the same, regardless of their personal qualities. They've grown up with the mindset of losers.

Now that Mayo seem to have perfected their physical and techinical skills, they need a manager that has the mindset of a winner and can instill that in the team.

Mayo need a Kerry manager!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Credit to Kerry for a very determined display.

However, the GAA will have to look at the very serious issue of sub-standard referees. Mayo is a perfect example of the level of commitment and professionalism now employed by players and management not to mention the expense and effort from their supporters.
    Sides like Mayo, Kerry, Dublin and Donegal all deserve top quality officiating and certainly, it's not good enough when their efforts are frustrated by an incompetent official such as Mr. O Reilly. As a Cork Supporter, I was very annoyed at some of his very questionable decisions in our defeat by Mayo but I must admit we were 2nd best on the day - however, yesterday, I'm convinced that Mayo would have won convincingly if Reilly got the big calls correct.

Kerry's 1st penalty was a very poor decision - the forward clearly threw himself to the ground with minimal contact from the defenders. I'm not sure on the rule re sliding or foot tackles but I felt that the 2nd Kerry penalty was harsh too - both players tried to kick the ball and IMO, the Mayo Defender just reacted quicker - It was not a foul IMO.

However, the 2 frees in the first period of ET were outrageous - absolutely no fouls - both playeers challenged for the ball- these were huge calls at a crucial stage. I can recall at least 2 blatant black card offences by Kerry players that were ignored - Donncha Walsh cynically pulled down a Mayo Player and the drag-down for the penalty. Kerry clearly attempted to stop Mayo's running game by fouling the player at the start of the move. Reilly continually failed to stamp this out.

I saw Anthony Nolan give a shocking reffing display in the U21 semi final and now Reilly - that's semis in the 2 top competitions decided by woefully inept refs.

Mayo can't highlight this as it will be seen as whinging and James Horan has other things on his mind today. However, players, management and supporters deserve fair play as a minimum and what we saw from Mr Reilly was nowhere near good enough, IMO.

I know its a bit raw in here and I would agree that the two frees Donaghy got in ET were not frees, the first penalty was debateable and you have to allow that the ref saw it from an angle. the second one was a penalty.
    Refereeing is an issue throughout the GAA, the fella refereeing the hurling final next Sunday should not be let near a juvenile game let alone the showpiece final.
    Reilly IMO had a good game up until ET, everyone tired and it got scrappy.

The real issue with refereeing in this country is McEnananey, he is dictating too much what is going on and he is damaging hurling.
    Reilly is seen as the fittest referee in the game, Coldrick is a better referee in my opinion, McQuillan had a pretty good game today, none of the Cork refs should be let near a football or hurling field and the Westmeath and Dublin lads should not be allowed near a hurling field.

I read a lot of messages of good will to Horan and the Mayo team over the last 24 hours. well deserved too.

Mayo have thrown the kitchen sink at winning an All Ireland over the last few years and have been unlucky not to win it, don't mind the likes of Brolley and the sh1te that comes out of his mouth, unlike in the 90's under Maughan, not only were you fitter, but Horan also changed your game to a nice mix of possession and kicking, the skill level was of the highest order and the dedication and commitment was unreal.
    Yesterday, contrary to what some Kerry people want you to believe, you lost narrowly to a very good Kerry team, who had to bring an unprecedented level of commitment and desire (for a Kerry team) to get past you yesterday.

Lets hope that there is someone around who can carry on the brilliant work that James Horan did with this team and take them to the next level and win an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Anyone able to tell me why Gavin Duffy never got a look in all year?

Mayo were crying out all year for more big physical players and then a gift like Gavin Duffy comes on the scene and wasn't given a minute of championship football or even put as a sub at any stage?

And a diminutive player like Mickey Sweeney gets to tog out?

Makes no sense to me at all.

Was in limerick last night and croker last week, am disgusted this team aren't in another final but Kerry got over the line in ET.
    No score in the final 16 mins saw to that for Mayo.

If Robbie had slotted that last kick in normal time it would have been fantastic but I'm not blaming him as it was a very tough kick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Anyone able to tell me why Gavin Duffy never got a look in all year?

Mayo were crying out all year for more big physical players and then a gift like Gavin Duffy comes on the scene and wasn't given a minute of championship football or even put as a sub at any stage?

And a diminutive player like Mickey Sweeney gets to tog out?

Makes no sense to me at all.

Was in limerick last night and croker last week, am disgusted this team aren't in another final but Kerry got over the line in ET.
    No score in the final 16 mins saw to that for Mayo.

If Robbie had slotted that last kick in normal time it would have been fantastic but I'm not blaming him as it was a very tough kick

He's a rugby player who hasn't played Gaa in 10yrs. Would leinster throw jack mccaffrey on the wing just cos he's fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

He's proven quality at the sport playing midfield for Mayo at minor level (albeit a long time ago)

He played a rugby position (full back) that required very similar skills to Gaelic football and after training as a PRO athlete for the last 12 years I'm
    Sure he could have added an extra bit of physicality that mayo were lacking in some positions at times.

How many times did Donaghy kick the ball yesterday?
    I'd say once, for the goal.
    He basically played like a post position basketball player would play under the net as e was glued to the box (& Cafferkey for that matter)

Anyway, it's just an opinion, word was he was doing well at training in the A vs B games, I just think he should have been given a crack of the whip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rankingelite

Lissavane wrote: »
    Either would be just more of the same, regardless of their personal qualities. They've grown up with the mindset of losers.

Now that Mayo seem to have perfected their physical and techinical skills, they need a manager that has the mindset of a winner and can instill that in the team.

Jack O Connor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Lissavane wrote: »

Like Jack O'Shea?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jack O Connor?

a good shout actually but don't see it happening

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Like Jack O'Shea?

You're right,that went well:rolleyes:

Mind you Jack O Connor is a top top manager. How likely is it that he's interested and willing to take such a long arduous journey to Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Can't see McStay wanting it considering the number hes on with RTE. He'd be mad

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cant say a lot as its still a bit raw, but very proud of our lads. The commitment of the 2 teams over the 2 games was incredible, NOTHING left on the sideline by the players and with todays game we have a game we can all be proud of.
    As above I'm worn out with what the state of reffing in this game was, who knows but my heart is telling me he cost us the game, I haven't seen the game on TV so can't comment besides, except from the various media and texts I got from people who said he robbed us blind.
    With regards the GG, have to say its a fine fine spot for a game, the atmosphere was incredible and the tension (which led me been phyiscally sick at one stage!!! (sad I know)) was nuts.

Wish James the best in everything he does, some things he did or didn't do baffled me, but he was brave enough to take us from an awful low to where we are today.

My heart is broken and spirit in ribbons, but we will be back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

threeball wrote: »
    Can't see McStay wanting it considering the number hes on with RTE. He'd be mad

Agree.

yop wrote: »
    Cant say a lot as its still a bit raw, but very proud of our lads. The commitment of the 2 teams over the 2 games was incredible, NOTHING left on the sideline by the players and with todays game we have a game we can all be proud of.
    As above I'm worn out with what the state of reffing in this game was, who knows but my heart is telling me he cost us the game, I haven't seen the game on TV so can't comment besides, except from the various media and texts I got from people who said he robbed us blind.
    With regards the GG, have to say its a fine fine spot for a game, the atmosphere was incredible and the tension (which led me been phyiscally sick at one stage!!! (sad I know)) was nuts.

Wish James the best in everything he does, some things he did or didn't do baffled me, but he was brave enough to take us from an awful low to where we are today.

My heart is broken and spirit in ribbons, but we will be back

I agree with everything except the GG being a fine spot for a game.
    Provincial games yes AI semi replay not a chance. Mad crush coming in and that was 40 mins before ko.
    one tea shop in main stand
    no backs on seats, looking at backs of peoples heads
    40 minute walk from train station
    open on 3 sides
    no thanks
    look at croker today
    that's where players want to play
    makes me very very angry actually thinking about it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

km79 wrote: »
    I agree with everything except the GG being a fine spot for a game.
    Provincial games yes AI semi replay not a chance. Mad crush coming in and that was 40 mins before ko.
    one tea shop in main stand
    no backs on seats, looking at backs of peoples heads
    40 minute walk from train station
    open on 3 sides
    no thanks
    look at croker today
    that's where players want to play
    makes me very very angry actually thinking about it

I should have qualified it in that the atmosphere was incredible, much much better than Croker for atmosphere in my opinion.
    Home in 2.5 hours as well! :D

I should have qualified it in that the atmosphere was incredible, much much better than Croker for atmosphere in my opinion.
    Home in 2.5 hours as well! :D

good atmosphere in the stand but with it being open on 3 other sides noise was lost outside stand
    atmosphere was better last week I thought.
    it just did not "feel" like an AI semi
    the players deserved better
    another year over
    what now????

• Advertisement

Kevin McStay wants the job I'd say based on those comments on the Sunday Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

If its offered to mc stay he will take it from what he said on the Sunday game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Have waited a long time before posting on this game.

Very proud of the team and all they have given us.

I appreciate this is going to sound bitter but there's absolutely no doubt that the ref handed that game to Kerry. They should have been done to 14 men for the black card offense by enright on O'Connor. After that, several soft frees.
    If anyone needs a blow by blow account, the Irish times have detailed it here.

Anyway - records won't show that as they'll only reflect the score line.

Sad to see Horan go but hopefully we can find a decent replacement for him. I do think Kevin McStay could do a good job there.

Anyway - here's to the players, and we have to consider ourselves lucky as fans to have a bunch as tough as them who keep coming back year after year to give it all they can.

After seeing the highlights there how Reilly is let ref another game after this has to be under serious question. His mistakes were shocking and ultimately cost us the match.

McStay, not sure to be honest, something doesn't sit well with me about him and I dont think he will bring anything more than Horan.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

After seeing the highlights there how Reilly is let ref another game after this has to be under serious question. His mistakes were shocking and ultimately cost us the match.

McStay, not sure to be honest, something doesn't sit well with me about him and I dont think he will bring anything more than Horan.

Very true about Reilly yop, it would be very poor once they analyze his performance if he is let ref another senior game again.

RE: McStay, he seems to have a great read on the game any time you listen to him analyze a game and take it apart for the sunday game. He has success in the all ireland at underage so knows how to get over the line.

Also he was very vocal about the donaghy threat and why caff was elected for the job which Horan did not seem to plan for. I get the feeling McStay would have got the match up with Donaghy right.

KMFCross wrote: »
    Very true about Reilly yop, it would be very poor once they analyze his performance if he is let ref another senior game again.

Disagree with you about McStay, he seems to have a great read on the game any time you listen to him analyze a game and take it apart for the sunday game. He has success in the all ireland at underage so knows how to get over the line.

Also he was very vocal about the donaghy threat and why caff was elected for the job which Horan did not seem to plan for. I get the feeling McStay would have got the match up with Donaghy right.

Ah ya, its just my own opinion, he seems like a lad who is well fit to break down a game, but doing it via video evidence and in the stand compared to the heat of a game, then we will see what he does.

One thing I didn't like was when we played Ros last winter in Cbar he sat behind me with the Ros county board members and jeered our lads who were been hammered out the door, I was shocked when I turned around to find it was him. Just didn't like it. Anyway thats irrelevant to him getting the job.

Who else is there?

I can't see us going outside the county as the funds are probably low.

Holmes, Maughan, McStay. No one else really I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, whoever takes over will have a tough act to follow. Can anyone see Mayo winning 4 Connacht titles in a row over the next 4/5 years.

I'm not too sure about McStay either, but his involvement with St.Brigids lately has'nt been negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Get Tomas O'Se on board as well;)

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Get Tomas O'Se on board as well;)

There was one man I really would have loved to see manage us and that was Paidi O'Shea, he was as cute as fk and hard as nails. An honor to meet the man and read his book.
    If you watched Donegal today, they lumped into Dublin, punched them, kicked them, nailed them at EVERY turn. We need to do this, Caff was much too soft on Star yesterday, Keane roughed him up but of course Mrs Reilly gave him 2 of the softest frees you will ever see.

We need someone who will make the decisions. The more I think of Caff at full-back the more I think he isn't up to it. Against Donegal, Dublin and then 2 games this year he was beat up and over. Phyiscally pushed around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Holmes, Maughan, McStay. No one else really I can think of.

Of those 3 we know McStay has all Ireland glory at club level. The others do not. The other 2 had their chance before now, and with Maughan we just can't keep going back to that well.
    If we need someone to pick up our current players so that we are challenging again next year, I think McStay really is the only one of those 3 that can do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement