Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

yop wrote: »
    Colm O'Rourke isn't a Mayo man, read his piece in the paper or listen to his interviews. Listen to the sports shows also, Tomás O'Shea isn't a Mayo man, yet listen to what he said about the game.
    Michael Lyster, yes you guessed it, isn't a Mayo man.

Will I go on or do you want to go on embarrassing yourself?

They said the referee was poor. I agree with that. I do however think Kerry were the better team and that the refereeing decisions were poor overall, not just to Mayo. **** happens in games. There were 160 minutes of football for ye to win that tie, and ye couldn't do it.

I know it's tough, I remember when Pat Horgan was sent off in the Munster final against Limerick last year I nearly lost my life. But unfortunately that's sport. Ye still had every chance if good enough.

Ye're a good team and it was a desperately close game, perhaps would have had a better chance of beating Donegal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Fowler87 wrote: »
    I can't disagree although we were directly affected by some blatant handy frees for kerry in et. But on the face of it Mayo getting away with two players hopping the ball consecutively is also bad refereeing. Kevin MCstay couldn't have analysed it much better. Refereeing along with the dated use of umpires is a huge problem in Gaa nowadays.
    I think this is the main thing. In normal time, decisions went against both sides (the non-call for a free on David Moran, that led to Hennelly's last minute kick was baffling for one example).

In ET, the 50/50's went Kerry's way. It wasn't that they weren't fouls, but they were for things that weren't being called all game, and suddenly with the game on the line, he starts calling them. That inconsistency must really frustrate players, and it clearly frustrates fans. Because it happened so late in the game, its the lingering memory of the game. That makes it worse.

Every man gave their all and put 100% in both games, and died on the field for their team. That's why I find it irritating, that instead of praise for the 40+ players that gave their all for their county in an All Ireland Semi-Final, you see hero's (in my eyes) being called scumbags etc. I didn't mean to highjack the thread, I just wanted to give my opinion and congratulate your team and supporters for two and half amazing games of football and give my view on the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

DDC1990 wrote: »
    The regular posters here have been fine, but the ones with 1 or 2 posts in the Mayo forum, and are suddenly coming out of the woodwork are hard to take IMO.

Posters have accused Kerry of everything under the sun: cheating, diving, bribary etc.
    The Referee gave Kerry anything from 2 points to 8 points.
    Mayo would have won "comfortably" if there wasn't a "biased" referee.
    Kerry targetted Mayo stars and took them out of the game.

The Deputy Editor of one of the biggest selling papers in Mayo called the Kerry team Scumbags!

I've seen 3 posters here congratulate Kerry. The rest fully believe that Mayo were the better team and lost out on a final place because Kerry/the Referee cheated them out of it.

That's sad, but I or anyone else am not going to be able to change their opinion.

For the record, If Hennelly's free had gone over, I would have been raging with the Referee. If you look at decisions given on both sides Kerry were as hard done by in normal time as Mayo. The Mayo fans behind me fully agreed. Extra time was different. Kerry started getting frees that they weren't getting earlier. The BJK one was soft, but there was a tug on his jersey. The only one I would 100% say wasn't a free was Crowley, where he charged. Should have been a free out or play on. Enright should have been sent off and that would have changed the game completely, but remember Kerry would have only been 1 (or 2) points down at that stage. The whole game would change, and you cannot guarentee that the game would have followed the same pattern. Mayo fought back last week with a man less, so there is every chance that Kerry could have done the same. In fact looking at the passion and hunger shown in Extra Time especially and in the fight back from 7 down, I'd guarentee that Kerry would have stayed in the game.

I've said it already, I have massive respect for Mayo football. I have gone to a lot of Mayo games, and I think you have a fantastic team. Horan was brilliant, but brought the team as far as ye could go. The next man in will be coming into a top 4 team, with serious passion and hunger. I'd just wish that some of the ridiculous statements from some of the fans would be reeled in a bit.

When Enright body checked O'Shea, O' Connor was just after getting Mayo's second goal. They were 7 points up. Could Kerry come back after having a man sent-off, 7 points down and Mayo getting into their stride? It would have been a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The regular posters here have been fine, but the ones with 1 or 2 posts in the Mayo forum, and are suddenly coming out of the woodwork are hard to take IMO.

Posters have accused Kerry of everything under the sun: cheating, diving, bribary etc.

I suppose that post is aimed at people like me who haven't posted in this forum for a good while.
    Well sorry, but I am not able to post all the time in every single forum I have an interest.
    Perhaps if you, or other non regulars, post in some forum where I am regular poster I will adopt the same sanctimonous attitude towards those posts.

It is funny that is particularly in sporting forums that one finds that attitude.

If you read my posts here in the last day or so you will find an admittal that Horan's failings were there to be seen.
    Whilst Horan had achieved many things with this Mayo team, especially in building huge resilience and drive, his tactical failings and failure to react during a game, were highlighted in the fact he appeared not be able to do anything to countereact Donaghy and to a lesser extent the grip Kerry had in midfield.
    BTW if anything this Mayo team is anything but bottlers.
    Getting beat three times in finals (including 2012 National league as well) and still coming back for more is anything but a bottler in my book.

You will also see where I readily admitted that the same ref was damm poor for Cork in the previous rounds game.
    I even admitted that a Mayo player could have been black carded for trip.
    So I don't have some red and green tinted glasses.

And yes I will readily admit I have made swipes at Kerry's very cynical attitude.

For too long we have had to listen to some, including some promiment ex Kerry players (who normally I have defended to an extent) make remarks about other teams cynical tactics.
    These people would have been part of the group who have to a degree fostered the idea that Kerry is the equivalent of Brazil in the Gaelic football world.
    Kerry football was pure football or some such.
    Well we all know what Brazil resorted to this year and maybe the comparisons are correct afterall.

And before you claim I have some anti Kerry bias, I grew up shouting for them as that is where my father hailed from and where most of my relatives still reside.
    As a kid I couldn't name half a Mayo team, but name every one of the 78-82 Kerry team.
    I even had a Kerry bobble hat to boot.
    The Deputy Editor of one of the biggest selling papers in Mayo called the Kerry team Scumbags!

I've seen 3 posters here congratulate Kerry. The rest fully believe that Mayo were the better team and lost out on a final place because Kerry/the Referee cheated them out of it.

I think without the influence of the ref it could have been another draw or Mayo would have scraped through.
    And no they wouldn't have won by a landslide, especially with what was happening in midfield and the back line.
    What sticks in my craw are the decisions of the ref.

Also I am kinda sad that Kerry have resorted to a brand of cynicism that
    things like the black card were meant to alleviate if not stamp out.

Now if you will excuse me I have to go post in my more regular forums and you know what you can too, without any inferences even if you don't agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Definitely don't think it's just Mayo fans who noticed the bad refereeing. I met Donegal people and Dublin people over the weekend who told me that Mayo were effectively playing both Kerry and the ref and that it wasn't a fair fight.

As for the manager, I think one of the problems with Horan is that he had his favourites. I think Mayo need an outsider who isn't going to stick with those he likes despite the consequences. Horan has instilled a great attitude in the team (although I wonder how that's been shaken now) and did plenty of good with them. They need a real tactician at the helm though. If only Jim McGuinness wasn't tied up right now! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

That's sad, but I or anyone else am not going to be able to change their opinion.

For the record, If Hennelly's free had gone over, I would have been raging with the Referee. If you look at decisions given on both sides Kerry were as hard done by in normal time as Mayo. The Mayo fans behind me fully agreed. Extra time was different. Kerry started getting frees that they weren't getting earlier. The BJK one was soft, but there was a tug on his jersey. The only one I would 100% say wasn't a free was Crowley, where he charged. Should have been a free out or play on. Enright should have been sent off and that would have changed the game completely, but remember Kerry would have only been 1 (or 2) points down at that stage. The whole game would change, and you cannot guarentee that the game would have followed the same pattern. Mayo fought back last week with a man less, so there is every chance that Kerry could have done the same. In fact looking at the passion and hunger shown in Extra Time especially and in the fight back from 7 down, I'd guarentee that Kerry would have stayed in the game.

I was one of those here who congratulated Kerry after the game. For what's it's worth I don't think Mayo were robbed by the ref or were denied a place in the final by some cabal in Croke Park, we lost the game because we got some of the match-ups wrong and didn't address our most glaring problem throughout the year - defence. Horan just wasn't cute enough with his tactics and match-ups, it was obvious Ger Cafferkey (a player who had been out injured three months ago) was going to struggle against Donaghy. He should have had a bigger man on him, If he couldn't sacrifice one of the O'Sheas then it should have been Kevin Keane from the start, not the most mobile of defenders but very strong and someone who eventually got the better of Donaghy when the game was slipping away. For some reason we've been shipping goals all year and it needs to be the first priority of the new management team, if it means sending Lee Keegan and Donie Vaughan up to the forwards and replacing them with players more suited to a defensive game then so be it.

Midfield was the other area where it all badly wrong, have to say I was very impressed with David Moran, for a man of his size he is skilful, you could tell himself and Geaney were very comfortable playing together and their passing and running was superb. I just think for all Mayo's much-vaunted midfield we haven't really settled on a final partnership, it's been chopping and changing all year with Vaughan, AOS, Gibbons, Barry Moran and Tom Parsons all making appearances beside Seamus O'Shea. We need a partnership of equals, I would think a SOS and a Parsons/Gibbons pairing would work best, but it needs to be worked on and stuck with.

Hennelly's kick-outs cost us as well, I believe one of Kerry's penalties was as a result of a kick-out going straight over the line. In this day and age of Cluxton and his game changing kick-outs I couldn't believe how one-dimensional the strategy was, he just seemed to hoof it into mid-field and hope for the best. We didn't adapt our strategy there at all, play the short ball or try and split the half forwards which at this stage in the game is unforgivable.

I think it was totally against the run of play that Mayo were seven points up and it was never going to last. The talent is there in Mayo but we need to manage it better. James Horan has done trojan work and hopefully the current squad will still have the drive and determination they showed over the past three years.

But to get back to your main point about Mayo fans whinging about the ref, I think it's completely understandable, for all of Mayo's faults they weren't far off Kerry and surely you will concede that big decisions can cost teams games. I think the problem most Mayo fans have is not that Kerry were cynical (they certainly were, seen it with my own eyes, I shouldn't need to recount it here as I'm sure you seen it yourself) but the fact that the referee completely lost control of the game from the first few minutes onwards. Kerry knew from early on that the ref was soft and they played it to the limit. No complaining about that, teams will do what they have to win, but the fact that an All-Ireland semi-final was reffed so poorly was an absolute disgrace, the players who sacrifice so much and the supporters deserve better. The fact that referees are amateur is neither here nor there, if paying them resulted in a higher standard then I'd be all for it, the GAA have the money. You didn't see it happen with Joe McQuillan yesterday.

All in all we mightn't have been the better team but I don't think a level playing field is too much to ask for, we've had enough heartbreak down throughout the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

realweirdo wrote: »
    Personally thought Parsons was outstanding when he came on and caught plenty of ball, Seamus O'Shea played ok and like the first day Kerry couldn't lay a hand on him when in full flight, but he needs to know when to release the ball, Aidan O'Shea was outstanding for most of the game.

So not sure what you are talking about to be honest. Moran for Kerry was good, but Maher was annonymous for the most part.

Kerry absolutely dominated our midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think the size of the pitch meant the short kick outs were harder to do tbf to Hennelly

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think the size of the pitch meant the short kick outs were harder to do tbf to Hennelly

It wasn't just Hennelly's fault of course but it was majorly frustrating watching us lose possession time and time again at midfield. Had that been David Clarke in goal I think we would have won a lot more ball from kick-outs. But then it's another aspect to work on for next year as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Kerry absolutely dominated our midfield.

Ah now, don't exagerate. Honestly, there was very little clean ball won around the middle by the midfielders. Most possession there came from breaks and dropped balls and Mayo more than held their own in the department.

As ever, Mayo have really good foundations but just don't have the finesse or killer instinct...which Donegal had and Dublin had when winning the AIs. You just can't keep putting the ball wide time after time for example and expect to win big games. You just can't keep being turned over or running into traffic and being turned over. It's all about economy and efficiency at this stage. Donegal were a case in point yesterday. It looked like they would score a goal or a point from every attack. They were very direct. Mayo were the opposite.

Overall, the dubious decisions certainly played a part in costing us the game. But what played an equal part is our inability to put teams away. The only time I remember us really shutting the door on one of the other AI contenders was against Donegal last year. We certainly have the talent to do it going forward. You give a team like Kerry or Dublin a sniff and they will usually go on and win against Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Kerry won 59% of Mayo's kick outs for the sake of the argument. Won 55% of their own so not a domination but a win alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Not exaggerating at all only saying as I saw it, Moran and Maher were dominant. Parsons did make a difference though. I've no intention of giving my opinion on the ref as I don't wish to earn a site ban!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I was one of those here who congratulated Kerry after the game. For what's it's worth I don't think Mayo were robbed by the ref or were denied a place in the final by some cabal in Croke Park, we lost the game because we got some of the match-ups wrong and didn't address our most glaring problem throughout the year - defence. Horan just wasn't cute enough with his tactics and match-ups, it was obvious Ger Cafferkey (a player who had been out injured three months ago) was going to struggle against Donaghy. He should have had a bigger man on him, If he couldn't sacrifice one of the O'Sheas then it should have been Kevin Keane from the start, not the most mobile of defenders but very strong and someone who eventually got the better of Donaghy when the game was slipping away. For some reason we've been shipping goals all year and it needs to be the first priority of the new management team, if it means sending Lee Keegan and Donie Vaughan up to the forwards and replacing them with players more suited to a defensive game then so be it.

Midfield was the other area where it all badly wrong, have to say I was very impressed with David Moran, for a man of his size he is skilful, you could tell himself and Geaney were very comfortable playing together and their passing and running was superb. I just think for all Mayo's much-vaunted midfield we haven't really settled on a final partnership, it's been chopping and changing all year with Vaughan, AOS, Gibbons, Barry Moran and Tom Parsons all making appearances beside Seamus O'Shea. We need a partnership of equals, I would think a SOS and a Parsons/Gibbons pairing would work best, but it needs to be worked on and stuck with.

Hennelly's kick-outs cost us as well, I believe one of Kerry's penalties was as a result of a kick-out going straight over the line. In this day and age of Cluxton and his game changing kick-outs I couldn't believe how one-dimensional the strategy was, he just seemed to hoof it into mid-field and hope for the best. We didn't adapt our strategy there at all, play the short ball or try and split the half forwards which at this stage in the game is unforgivable.

I think it was totally against the run of play that Mayo were seven points up and it was never going to last. The talent is there in Mayo but we need to manage it better. James Horan has done trojan work and hopefully the current squad will still have the drive and determination they showed over the past three years.

But to get back to your main point about Mayo fans whinging about the ref, I think it's completely understandable, for all of Mayo's faults they weren't far off Kerry and surely you will concede that big decisions can cost teams games. I think the problem most Mayo fans have is not that Kerry were cynical (they certainly were, seen it with my own eyes, I shouldn't need to recount it here as I'm sure you seen it yourself) but the fact that the referee completely lost control of the game from the first few minutes onwards. Kerry knew from early on that the ref was soft and they played it to the limit. No complaining about that, teams will do what they have to win, but the fact that an All-Ireland semi-final was reffed so poorly was an absolute disgrace, the players who sacrifice so much and the supporters deserve better. The fact that referees are amateur is neither here nor there, if paying them resulted in a higher standard then I'd be all for it, the GAA have the money. You didn't see it happen with Joe McQuillan yesterday.

All in all we mightn't have been the better team but I don't think a level playing field is too much to ask for, we've had enough heartbreak down throughout the years.

I agree with every word of that.

Looks like Cillian O'Connor will be the highest scorer of the championship again. Even in the depths of despair it's hard not to feel somewhat optimistic when there's such talent in the squad.

All that being being said his last kick in the championship was the most memorable!

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=223543

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Definitely don't think it's just Mayo fans who noticed the bad refereeing. I met Donegal people and Dublin people over the weekend who told me that Mayo were effectively playing both Kerry and the ref and that it wasn't a fair fight.

As for the manager, I think one of the problems with Horan is that he had his favourites. I think Mayo need an outsider who isn't going to stick with those he likes despite the consequences. Horan has instilled a great attitude in the team (although I wonder how that's been shaken now) and did plenty of good with them. They need a real tactician at the helm though. If only Jim McGuinness wasn't tied up right now! :P

I really got a sense during the match that Fitzmaurice had far more faith in his Kerry subs than Horan had in his Mayo subs. He just seemed that more willing to make changes where they were needed.

The decision to leave Cafferkey on Donaghy was just mind boggling. Posters on these forums had earmarked this as a potential problem for Mayo during the last week. And it seems that Mayo did NOTHING to plan for it - that is far more unforgivable than any poor refereeing performance.

In the first game, David Moran was the outstanding player in the first half. He was quiet in the second half after Mayo replaced Gibbons with Parsons. I mentioned on these threads that I felt that was one of the key changes that turned the game the first day. And I cannot understand how he did not start the replay. I told my Dad that Barry Moran was starting (as I heard it on the radio driving home before the TV coverage started) and he was surprised too but then thought maybe they would throw him back on Donaghy as a ploy to negate the high ball. I wasnt sure about that but god, he came up with more of a plan in 2 seconds than Mayo did in the whole week!

A question as think I may have missed it somewhere - what exactly was up with O'Se? Was he concussed? Could they just not stop the bleeding?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I really got a sense during the match that Fitzmaurice had far more faith in his Kerry subs than Horan had in his Mayo subs. He just seemed that more willing to make changes where they were needed.

The decision to leave Cafferkey on Donaghy was just mind boggling. Posters on these forums had earmarked this as a potential problem for Mayo during the last week. And it seems that Mayo did NOTHING to plan for it - that is far more unforgivable than any poor refereeing performance.

In the first game, David Moran was the outstanding player in the first half. He was quiet in the second half after Mayo replaced Gibbons with Parsons. I mentioned on these threads that I felt that was one of the key changes that turned the game the first day. And I cannot understand how he did not start the replay. I told my Dad that Barry Moran was starting (as I heard it on the radio driving home before the TV coverage started) and he was surprised too but then thought maybe they would throw him back on Donaghy as a ploy to negate the high ball. I wasnt sure about that but god, he came up with more of a plan in 2 seconds than Mayo did in the whole week!

A question as think I may have missed it somewhere - what exactly was up with O'Se? Was he concussed? Could they just not stop the bleeding?

O'Shea was concussed, they didn't want to let him on at all it seems. Himself and COC was split open.

O'Shea was concussed, they didn't want to let him on at all it seems. Himself and COC was split open.

In that case, he should have been left off the pitch. That pitch was not the place for a concussed player. If anything had happened him out there, they were leaving themselves open for all sorts.

On another note, I didnt think it looked good when you had him standing beside Horan on the sideline. Not sure how long he was there as I only watched on TV. But if I was manager, I would see a player hanging alongside me like that as a major distraction.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In that case, he should have been left off the pitch. That pitch was not the place for a concussed player. If anything had happened him out there, they were leaving themselves open for all sorts.

On another note, I didnt think it looked good when you had him standing beside Horan on the sideline. Not sure how long he was there as I only watched on TV. But if I was manager, I would see a player hanging alongside me like that as a major distraction.

Agreed, its an issue the GAA need to address.
    I was watching him as he was down along my eye shot and he was gagging to get on but they had to hold him to give him time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,027 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well that's that then.

Straight after the game I have to say I was not that disappointed, all year I had been under the impression that this team may not have it in them to make another All Ireland final after loosing two in a row, and as it tuned out they did not make the final.

But in the past few days it has began to creep up on me that this may have been a real lost opportunity.
    Just after the final here last year I posted that Mayo needed luck to win and All Ireland, and that luck had to include having a fully fit squad and not meeting a juggernaut in the final.
    As it turned out the squad were all fit this season and the juggernaut crashed on Jones's road on Sunday afternoon.
    Now I'm not going into the analysis of who would win between Mayo and Donegal but because it's Donegal and not Dublin I am looking ion Saturdays loss as a missed opportunity.
    And we had ample opportunities to win both of those games but never took them.

So onwards to to 2015 and a new regime.
    I hope that the following are nowhere near consideration, John Maughan and Tommy Lyons.
    Both would be a major step backward for Mayo football.

I'm a bit more open to the Pat Holmes or Kevin McStay ideas.
    Both have won major national titles as managers. I feel Holmes was just a place holder for the Maughan return in the early '00s, but he still won the League.
    They need a manager who will continue to enhance the good work Horan has done in regards to preparation, strength and conditioning etc that are all important in the modern game.
    I'd be worried also that the county board may take this opportunity to pick a yes man, one is not totally committed to the above in order to save a few bob.

From a player point of view I think there needs to be a total refreshment of the squad.
    I'm not suggesting dropping the guys that have done great service this past four years but we need cover in a lot of places on the field and it's good to have competition for starting places.
    This squad is more or less the same since 2011, it needs new blood.
    Even though the only possible retirement I see is Dillon they still need to get new young guys getting experience in all parts of the field.
    With that in mind would Enda Gilvarry be a a good choice as manager, he has had recent minor success and will be well aware of the guys coming through that can strengthen this team.

The goals for 2015 should be as follows
    League
    Div 1 status while using as many new players as possible. Div1 status may be though this year with Donegal and Monaghan replacing Kildare and Westmeath, plus Mayo have only 3 home games, but they still have to get those young guys out into the thick of it.
    A SF spot would of course be a bonus.

Championship
    Barring a complete purge of what is there at the moment I can see them in with a great shout in Connaught again.
    Roscommon may be improving but they will have to come to Castlebar in 2015
    Galway have improved and will play Mayo in Galway if they meet, but Mulholland's stepping down I fell has knocked them back a bit, it's hard to know.

If you win Connaught then you are in good shape going into the QF. If the GAA stick with the A\B for another year then Connaught champs will play Leinster loser or qualifier in the QF, not a huge task.
    But if they go back to the open draw then anything is possible.
    A SF would likely involve Dublin, who will be no doubt still smarting from the embarrassment of yesterday and would image be very strong.
    If Mayo were to lose to Dublin in a SF in a new managers first year, with changes in the team then it would not be a bad start at all.

On Horan I think he did a great job. I was delighted when he was given the job because Mayo needed new young impetus at the time and he was the perfect fit. And that's why going to Maughan or Lyons now would be such a bad move.
    He brought us from the depths to despair in Longford to two finals, 4 SFs and 4 Connaughts, on the way we beat most of the big teams, Cork x2, Dublin, Donegal, Tyrone, Down. The only pity is that we never won the big thing and never beat Kerry.

By the way Chorah Elser or whatever her name is is a tool, as is the lard ass who went on the field, and the people in Supermanc's afterwards lauding him as some sort of hero.
    Tools the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wouldn't like to be the guy laying down the law to AOS on this.:P I know Sean Moffatt slightly and he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to be overruling players in these scenarios but I guess that means he and other medics need clear authorisation from GAA authorities to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Well that's that then.

Straight after the game I have to say I was not that disappointed, all year I had been under the impression that this team may not have it in them to make another All Ireland final after loosing two in a row, and as it tuned out they did not make the final.

But in the past few days it has began to creep up on me that this may have been a real lost opportunity.
    Just after the final here last year I posted that Mayo needed luck to win and All Ireland, and that luck had to include having a fully fit squad and not meeting a juggernaut in the final.
    As it turned out the squad were all fit this season and the juggernaut crashed on Jones's road on Sunday afternoon.
    Now I'm not going into the analysis of who would win between Mayo and Donegal but because it's Donegal and not Dublin I am looking ion Saturdays loss as a missed opportunity.
    And we had ample opportunities to win both of those games but never took them.

So onwards to to 2015 and a new regime.
    I hope that the following are nowhere near consideration, John Maughan and Tommy Lyons.
    Both would be a major step backward for Mayo football.

I'm a bit more open to the Pat Holmes or Kevin McStay ideas.
    Both have won major national titles as managers. I feel Holmes was just a place holder for the Maughan return in the early '00s, but he still won the League.
    They need a manager who will continue to enhance the good work Horan has done in regards to preparation, strength and conditioning etc that are all important in the modern game.
    I'd be worried also that the county board may take this opportunity to pick a yes man, one is not totally committed to the above in order to save a few bob.

From a player point of view I think there needs to be a total refreshment of the squad.
    I'm not suggesting dropping the guys that have done great service this past four years but we need cover in a lot of places on the field and it's good to have competition for starting places.
    This squad is more or less the same since 2011, it needs new blood.
    Even though the only possible retirement I see is Dillon they still need to get new young guys getting experience in all parts of the field.
    With that in mind would Enda Gilvarry be a a good choice as manager, he has had recent minor success and will be well aware of the guys coming through that can strengthen this team.

The goals for 2015 should be as follows
    League
    Div 1 status while using as many new players as possible. Div1 status may be though this year with Donegal and Monaghan replacing Kildare and Westmeath, plus Mayo have only 3 home games, but they still have to get those young guys out into the thick of it.
    A SF spot would of course be a bonus.

Championship
    Barring a complete purge of what is there at the moment I can see them in with a great shout in Connaught again.
    Galway have improved and will play Mayo in Galway if they meet, but Mulholland's stepping down I fell has knocked them back a bit, it's hard to know.

If you win Connaught then you are in good shape going into the QF. If the GAA stick with the A\B for another year then Connaught champs will play Leinster loser or qualifier in the QF, not a huge task.
    But if they go back to the open draw then anything is possible.
    A SF would likely involve Dublin, who will be no doubt still smarting from the embarrassment of yesterday and would image be very strong.
    If Mayo were to lose to Dublin in a SF in a new managers first year, with changes in the team then it would not be a bad start at all.

On Horan I think he did a great job. I was delighted when he was given the job because Mayo needed new young impetus at the time and he was the perfect fit. And that's why going to Maughan or Lyons now would be such a bad move.
    He brought us from the depths to despair in Longford to two finals, 4 SFs and 4 Connaughts, on the way we beat most of the big teams, Cork x2, Dublin, Donegal, Tyrone, Down. The only pity is that we never won the big thing and never beat Kerry.

By the way Chorah Elser or whatever he name is is a tool, as is the lard ass who went on the field, and the people in Supermanc's afterwards lauding him as some sort of hero.
    Tools the lot of them.

One name I have not seen mentioned who I really feel would be the best man for the job is Rory Gallagher..He's currently managing Kilcar in Donegal and had them in unbelievable shape with super tactics when they won the Comortas Peile na Gaeltachta in June on TG4..He was McGuinness's right hand man for the all ireland and had massive respect from the players..I feel he is the type of manager who would really endere himself with the Mayo players as a young energetic ambitous person..Crucially I feel he would have no preconceptions of some of the Mayo team something which I feel both McStay and McHale have of some current Mayo players..I really believe he would place us in the best position to win Sam over the next few years

I wouldn't like to be the guy laying down the law to AOS on this.:P I know Sean Moffatt slightly and he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to be overruling players in these scenarios but I guess that means he and other medics need clear authorisation from GAA authorities to do this.

Me either! Must read up more on if there are guidelines surrounding concussion in GAA actually. Regardless of the concussion, I didnt think it helped Mayo's cause that he on and off etc. It just seemed so indecisive. And like I said, it just seemed Horan did not have enough faith in his bench. Although, I know it A. O'Se and he is a special player.

Championship

Mayo should have it harder in Connacht next year. In the sense that they have been so far ahead for so long, that I can see other teams smelling their blood next year. It could be hard for these guys to be motivated for a Connacht title as well. I saw it a few years back with Galway, a lot of the players had a few Connacht medals and after a few years, they become meaningless. Mayo are somewhat in that position now. Then you look at Galway where I think only Finian Hanley holds a Connacht medal. Mulholland stepping down is not a step back for Galway. If he had wanted to stay, he was far from guaranteed to get another year. There are many within Galway football that are glad he did not seek another year. The hope for Mayo is that there are just so far ahead, that 1 year will not be enough for Galway or Roscommon to catch them. And if they can add some new freshness to the team next year, who knows where we will be the year after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

The time our winning run in Connaught ends is going to hurt me badly.. just been going into every season thinking "win Connaught and then see what happens".

4 Connaught titles in a row. Im confident to say I may never see a Mayo team do it again.

Thanks lads. Thanks James Horan.

Never ever going to forget this Mayo team. They are strangely even more heroic because of the fact they didnt win Sam, but kept fcuking coming back and fighting and doing us proud again and again.

Never been prouder of a Mayo team than I was after the 2 games versus Kerry.

Maigh Eo Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Personally thought Parsons was outstanding when he came on and caught plenty of ball, Seamus O'Shea played ok and like the first day Kerry couldn't lay a hand on him when in full flight, but he needs to know when to release the ball, Aidan O'Shea was outstanding for most of the game.

So not sure what you are talking about to be honest. Moran for Kerry was good, but Maher was annonymous for the most part.

I must have been watching a different game to you.!!
    Aidan O'Shea was extremely poor. His first touch of the game was on 17 MINUTES, imagine that.!! your supposedly key player doesn't touch the ball for 17 minutes. And that touch was a hopeless ballooned effort that everyone assumed was going wide but collected brilliantly by C.O.C that led to the penalty.
    His second touch was a fine catch of a high ball that was actually intended for the Mayo full forward line, but he turned, carried well and again set up C.O.C. for a goal, taken out by Enright in the process.
    2 touches were his total contribution in 35 mins.
    In the second half he fared hardly any better, even driven back by a shoulder from one of Kerry's smallest players, and virtually anonymous in ET. Contrast this to David Moran who had 43 possessions during the game.!!
    Would'nt agree either re Parsons, should have done more considering his size and strength at midfield.
    Seamus O'Shea did well, but should have been switched to mark Donaghy when it was obvious to everyone bar Horan that size/strength was needed at 3.

washman3 wrote: »
    I must have been watching a different game to you.!!
    Aidan O'Shea was extremely poor. His first touch of the game was on 17 MINUTES, imagine that.!! your supposedly key player doesn't touch the ball for 17 minutes. And that touch was a hopeless ballooned effort that everyone assumed was going wide but collected brilliantly by C.O.C that led to the penalty.
    His second touch was a fine catch of a high ball that was actually intended for the Mayo full forward line, but he turned, carried well and again set up C.O.C. for a goal, taken out by Enright in the process.
    2 touches were his total contribution in 35 mins.
    In the second half he fared hardly any better, even driven back by a shoulder from one of Kerry's smallest players, and virtually anonymous in ET. Contrast this to David Moran who had 43 possessions during the game.!!
    Would'nt agree either re Parsons, should have done more considering his size and strength at midfield.
    Seamus O'Shea did well, but should have been switched to mark Donaghy when it was obvious to everyone bar Horan that size/strength was needed at 3.

Are you sure about the 2 touches in the first half for AOS? I will have to watch the game on RTE player again as I thought he had more. In fact didn't he run into COC at one stage while in possession. So that would be another touch. Are you talking out your ar*e by any chance? Parsons made a big difference the first game and did well the second game so again you have it wrong. And believe me I am far from Parsons biggest fan. Barry Moran might have more height to deal with Donaghy. But I agree about the obvious. It was screaming "put a big man on him".

keane2097 wrote: »

This myth of the pitch size needs to be dispelled.!
    One would think the game was played on a soccer pitch.
    Gaelic Grounds is 137x82 metres
    Croke Park is 144x86 metres
    Killarney is 144x82 metres
    Castlebar is 137x82 metres, exactly the same dimensions as G/Grounds and where Mayo do all their training and play their home games.
    So who should the G/Ground suit better.?? in theory anyway.

Are you sure about the 2 touches in the first half for AOS? I will have to watch the game on RTE player again as I thought he had more. In fact didn't he run into COC at one stage while in possession. So that would be another touch. Are you talking out your ar*e by any chance? Parsons made a big difference the first game and did well the second game so again you have it wrong. And believe me I am far from Parsons biggest fan. Barry Moran might have more height to deal with Donaghy. But I agree about the obvious. It was screaming "put a big man on him".

C.O.C. had the ball and was expecting AOS to cut inside but he came outside and C.O.C stepped outside at the same time. AOS went down like he was shot but C.O.C. retrieved the ball brilliantly and passed for a point.
    Attended the game and watched it twice since, so 'not talking through my arse'
    If you do the same you will also change your mind re Parsons. He did make 2 fine catches but overall was roasted by Moran, Maher was actually better than him, that says it all.
    Think its time Mayo people took AOS off the pedestal that they've placed him on since he was a minor. The RTE panel seem to be infatuated with him too.

C.O.C. had the ball and was expecting AOS to cut inside but he came outside and C.O.C stepped outside at the same time. AOS went down like he was shot but C.O.C. retrieved the ball brilliantly and passed for a point.
    Attended the game and watched it twice since, so 'not talking through my arse'
    If you do the same you will also change your mind re Parsons. He did make 2 fine catches but overall was roasted by Moran, Maher was actually better than him, that says it all.
    Think its time Mayo people took AOS off the pedestal that they've placed him on since he was a minor. The RTE panel seem to be infatuated with him too.

Ah look. AOS is an outstanding player.

And in all fairness he was concussed for most of the game and was also off as a blood sub for something like 10 minutes.

One average game due mainly to what I just said and suddenly he should be "taken off a pedestal". Get real. For setting up the goal alone he was worth his place on the team.

Any team in the country would be glad to have him, Kerry included.

AOS was not concussed, this has been confirmed.
    He simply did not recover from the first game, which doesn't say much for Mayo's S and C regime. Boyle was in the same boat.

The sooner Connacht gets competitive again the better.
    People on here celebrating 3/4 consecutive titles. As it stands now a Connacht medal holds the same value as a McGrath Cup medal would for Kerry/Cork.

• Advertisement

AOS was not concussed, this has been confirmed.
    He simply did not recover from the first game, which doesn't say much for Mayo's S and C regime. Boyle was in the same boat.

The sooner Connacht gets competitive again the better.
    People on here celebrating 3/4 consecutive titles. As it stands now a Connacht medal holds the same value as a McGrath Cup medal would for Kerry/Cork.

I for one wasn't celebrating 4 consecutive titles in Connacht. However, we aren't talking about 1 Connacht title, we are talking about a four in a row of provincial titles which even Kerry haven't managed in a while so get off your high horse. I know Connacht doesn't mean much but it does mean something. Did Kerry celebrate winning Munster this year? G'wan yee did, didn't yee.

And as for celebrating, you'd swear Kerry won the AI the way they celebrated Saturday. Pitch invasions and everything. My understanding was AOS was concussed. Your posts are a bit laughable to be honest. Kerry have won nothing yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement