Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSVita megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I take it your not factoring in tax?

It's stupid how they don't include tax.

Most of the time Irish shops take the hit for higher vat when prices get announced like this (no rrp anymore, and excluding the €630 for the PS3).

I may get it over there but it depends on the price at the time and the fact i'll have little comeback on it if anything goes wrong.

Also any US games may cause DLC problems with you account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Varik wrote: »
    Also no 32GB for Europe.

Any reason for that? I presume the 32GB will work on an EU Vita, it's just their not going to market them here right?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Any reason for that? I presume the 32GB will work on an EU Vita, it's just their not going to market them here right?

No reason given, they'll work if imported.

Production issues as with many other parts from the bad year that some of these countries have had.

Or perhaps they could not make a good price point for it to sell.

i think i'll import the card anyway, probably not the console or games>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Might as well just buy a 4GB card until SCEE actually get their act together and release the 32GB card in Europe. They're just a total joke at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

I take it your not factoring in tax?
    Yes, I am. I won't have to pay any import duties either since its going by plane not by post.
    I may get it over there but it depends on the price at the time and the fact i'll have little comeback on it if anything goes wrong.

Also any US games may cause DLC problems with you account.

What problem would there be if something goes wrong? The worst thing that could happen is that you would have to return the system to the US to be replaced/repaired instead of Dublin/UK (wherever it is). I think that's the case with warranty anyway if you import. I'd probably get Console Repairs to reapir it anyway if out of warranty because Sony are simply too scabby.

I have no intention in buying DLC for Little Deviants or Uncharted - I'll be broke after all!:p I doubt there will be any DLC for them anyway... (It's only a small amount of games that are DLC region-locked).

Huge savings though, 2 games and memory card for €33!

• Advertisement

DarkDusk wrote: »
    What problem would there be if something goes wrong? The worst thing that could happen is that you would have to return the system to the US to be replaced/repaired instead of Dublin/UK (wherever it is). I think that's the case with warranty anyway if you import. I'd probably get Console Repairs to reapir it anyway if out of warranty because Sony are simply too scabby.
    !

You'll only get a year out of the warranty and then have to probably pay a decent percentage of the consoles price again for repairs after that.

Buy it in Ireland and you have a good chance of getting a replacement from the shop, and that will be longer than a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I think you'd have to be nuts to buy a Vita in EU/UK. When my aunt is going to the US in Spring I'll get the Vita (wifi only), 16GB memory card, Uncharted and Little Deviants all for only €283 (dollars converted). Much more better value than getting the Vita on its own for €250 here! Anyone else going to buy in the US?

Actually, I might go for the 32GB for an extra €30 :D

Some of us don't know anyone in the U.S. and importing would probably cost €50 in customs

ShaneU wrote: »
    Some of us don't know anyone in the U.S. and importing would probably cost €50 in customs

I do.:) There is no importing costs if you transport the good by yourself (or in my case, my Aunt). The same goes for cigs and alcohol when people go to Spain etc. And since all the immigration that happened in the past, people must have some relations out in the US right? (not all people but quite a lot I'd say) You could also get someone to re-package the item so it's like a gift which would avoid customs when posting (although you would have to pay for P+P then).

You'll only get a year out of the warranty and then have to probably pay a decent percentage of the consoles price again for repairs after that.

Buy it in Ireland and you have a good chance of getting a replacement from the shop, and that will be longer than a year.

(Sorry, should have multi-quoted)

I get your point there but since I'm making big savings on the item I'll take the risk on not having it replaced for free. The Vita alone is €190 when converted from dollars. I've also had past problems in relation to Repair and Replacement laws and I might end up in a situation where I have to go to the Small Claims, which I am not going to do. (Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭LauraW7746

I preordered a ps vita console with starter pack uncharted and 4 gig card from renchi in hong kong yesterday, has anyone here ever had a dealings with them? I know people are gonna think I'm mad but I couldn't wait anymore :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I do.:) There is no importing costs if you transport the good by yourself (or in my case, my Aunt). The same goes for cigs and alcohol when people go to Spain etc.

That's not true at all. If customs do examine her baggage, they can decide to put a customs charge on the Vita. It's not likely that they will examine her bag, but there's a chance all the same.

I think you're forgetting to add the tax to the US price too when you're making the conversion.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    That's not true at all. If customs do examine her baggage, they can decide to put a customs charge on the Vita. It's not likely that they will examine her bag, but there's a chance all the same.

I think you're forgetting to add the tax to the US price too when you're making the conversion.

Why wouldn't it be true? If I go on holidays in the US and bring my Camera with me and when I am returning, the customs will not take it off me. As long as its not in the original packaging it will look like I always owned the item. They can't and won't prove otherwise. I said that in my last post anyway.

It depends where you buy it online/offline. Amazon include tax in prices except for some states. Couldn't tell you if Gamestop do (I think they do so I'll prob pick Amazon).

Why wouldn't it be true? If I go on holidays in the US and bring my Camera with me and when I am returning, the customs will not take it off me. As long as its not in the original packaging it will look like I always owned the item. They can't and won't prove otherwise. I said that in my last post anyway.

It depends where you buy it online/offline. Amazon include tax in prices except for some states. Couldn't tell you if Gamestop do (I think they do so I'll prob pick Amazon).

You said it yourself. If it's not in the packaging and it looks like you brought it with you, you'll get away with it, but legally if customs believe you bought the item in the US they can charge you. The way you stated it you implied that you can import whatever you want as long as you're the one carrying it through the airport. That's not true.

You said it yourself. If it's not in the packaging and it looks like you brought it with you, you'll get away with it, but legally if customs believe you bought the item in the US they can charge you. The way you stated it you implied that you can import whatever you want as long as you're the one carrying it through the airport. That's not true.

Sound, sorry for the misunderstanding.;)

Sound, sorry for the misunderstanding.;)

I only know this because my Dad kept saying it when we were bringing a laptop through a few years back! If your aunt makes sure she keeps the vita outside the packaging and all that she'll be grand. If it's still in a sealed box then you could be caught.

I only know this because my Dad kept saying it when we were bringing a laptop through a few years back! If your aunt makes sure she keeps the vita outside the packaging and all that she'll be grand. If it's still in a sealed box then you could be caught.

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated.

So, what games are ye all looking forward to the most? If Uncharted is as good as Uncharted 3 on PS3 it's going to be brilliant I'd say. The interface is great too with all the new controls also. Little Deviants looks really fun too with the minigames to keep you going for hours!:D Oh I can't wait for the Vita.

P.S. I actually mightn't get the Vita in the US after-all. I got €50 worth of Smyths vouchers over the Xmas so I could put them towards it...

Boom

psvita271211.jpg

^^^^^^^

Am I missing something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

So I have loads of PSP games lying around the house, will they be fully playable on the Vita?

Orizio wrote: »
    So I have loads of PSP games lying around the house, will they be fully playable on the Vita?
    There's gonna be something where you can download the psp games you already own for cheaper than buying them full price on the store which is ridiculous if you ask me, they should be free if you own them already.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^

Am I missing something? :confused:

The first of many many updates.
    LauraW7746 wrote: »
    There's gonna be something where you can download the psp games you already own for cheaper than buying them full price on the store which is ridiculous if you ask me, they should be free if you own them already.

They can't prove you own them and games being playable on a newer system is a relatively modern thing. If you got the games when available off PSN in the first place then they can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

...so my PSP games (all in physical form) will not be playable on the Vita?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

They can't prove you own them and games being playable on a newer system is a relatively modern thing.
    The Game Boy Colour is a modern thing? :rolleyes:

Orizio wrote: »
    ...so my PSP games (all in physical form) will not be playable on the Vita?

Nope not at all. As i said Sony are gonna have some sort of passport system. See article below:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-11-sony-unveils-umd-passport-psp-to-vita-charge

ShaneU wrote: »
    The Game Boy Colour is a modern thing? :rolleyes:

You could have mentioned the Atari but i guess you may be very young and 1998 would seem like a millennium ago.

And i mean the assumption that a newer console will be BC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seems the Vita is taking a bit of a beating in Japan.
    It's gone from 320,000 sales in the first week to 72,000 devices in week two, beaten in sales by the 3DS.
    link to article here
    Hopefully it'll fare better in the western territories where the likes of Uncharted are more popular.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Seems the Vita is taking a bit of a beating in Japan.
    It's gone from 320,000 sales in the first week to 72,000 devices in week two, beaten in sales by the 3DS.
    link to article here
    Hopefully it'll fare better in the western territories where the likes of Uncharted are more popular.

Was 320 not in the first 2 days rather than the first week, any numbers on first week sales.

Expected it to be lower but was thinking above 100k, many who wanted it already have it and momentum would not have built up yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have read since that the 320.000 is the figure for the first 2 days.
    Some confusion.
    The 72k is a bit dodgy though.

They seem to be pulling a certain stunt, the same one I got caught with on the PSP where the mem card was separate, if memory serves.
    Except here, it's not only a proprietary mem card, it's a very expensive mem card at that, €20 for the 4gb, €35 for the 8gb and €50 for the 16gb cards.
    And that before you buy any software.

Anyone else think that the device should have come with a built-in flash drive?

Anyone else think that the device should have come with a built-in flash drive?

I think Sony mentioned before that it would be somehow easier to pirate games and hack the device - less security etc. See how the iPhones are so easily hacked...

Like the avvie btw.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=CiDeRmAn;76218775
    Anyone else think that the device should have come with a built-in flash drive?[/QUOTE]
    I think Sony mentioned before that it would be somehow easier to pirate games and hack the device - less security etc. See how the iPhones are so easily hacked...

Like the avvie btw.

Would not say piracy will be effected by internal vs external considering both would have the same level of protection, backup devices would be simple when used with external cards but in either case i don't think that decided it.

While there should have been some for save files at least a small about 100/200mb there is the option for game card saving for some games.
    They seem to be pulling a certain stunt, the same one I got caught with on the PSP where the mem card was separate, if memory serves.
    Except here, it's not only a proprietary mem card, it's a very expensive mem card at that, €20 for the 4gb, €35 for the 8gb and €50 for the 16gb cards.
    And that before you buy any software.

At least psp cards were used on other things and there was some competition on them, these seem like they may be for the vita only.

Will be getting a 32/16 as games are looking to be a good deal cheaper digitally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement