Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unions call to not pay mortgages

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Now i know its easy to type all that & that it has a lot of risk also attached to it but it is undeniable, the writing is clearly on the wall regarding the cohesion of the EU, italy is now shaking as we all knew it would, next will be belgium, then potentially france, the game is up & we are in extra time only now.
    andrew wrote: »
    Firstly, to say that it has 'a lot' of risk attached implies that there's a chance of a good outcome resulting from this, which isn't the case. Secondly, the game isn't 'up' and Belgium and France are fine.

France, as we all really knew, is now not fine, the Lisbon treaty is exposed as all lies with 'corporate tax harmonisation' & Talk on the radio etc about the 'core group of euro federalists' that are in brussels that was denied back when the referendum was being spun.

Lie after lie after lie exposed & yet people will still swallow what they are being fed & act like a blinkered horse!!!!!

It is admirable in the sense that all captains should go down on the bridge of their ship & people are valiantly throwing out the buckets of water from the hull, i wonder will the leadership across the EU be the ones that will drown when this ship finally goes under?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

France, as we all really knew, is now not fine

It seems not everyone agrees with you

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0818/breaking14.html

Standard & Poor's head of France said today that the agency was confident of maintaining France's AAA credit rating unchanged with a stable outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AnneBQ

Why does the suggestion of a debth write down for ordinary citizens raise such ire, the majority of borrowers in NAMA have had their debth written down, some quite considerably. The section of society who borrowed for hyper inflated homes, and I draw a distinction between those who speculated in property and those who simply wanted a home and were desperate to get onto the property ladder, are relatively small. You can argue that they were foolish but lets not forget that there were plenty of cheer leaders for the property boom. Well done to the smart few who saw the writing on the wall...

As a tax payer, who's taxes have already contiributed to bank bail outs etc., I don't have a problem with my taxes helping out my fellow citizens.
    The rich have always looked after their own interests, while the ordinary man/woman seem to be so easily pitted against one other, maybe if we stood together rather than having a go we might actually change something...

p.s. I don't have a big mortgage and I'm not in negative equity in case you think this is only about me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

AnneBQ wrote: »
    Why does the suggestion of a debth write down for ordinary citizens raise such ire, the majority of borrowers in NAMA have had their debth written down, some quite considerably. The section of society who borrowed for hyper inflated homes, and I draw a distinction between those who speculated in property and those who simply wanted a home and were desperate to get onto the property ladder, are relatively small. You can argue that they were foolish but lets not forget that there were plenty of cheer leaders for the property boom. Well done to the smart few who saw the writing on the wall...

As a tax payer, who's taxes have already contiributed to bank bail outs etc., I don't have a problem with my taxes helping out my fellow citizens.
    The rich have always looked after their own interests, while the ordinary man/woman seem to be so easily pitted against one other, maybe if we stood together rather than having a go we might actually change something...

p.s. I don't have a big mortgage and I'm not in negative equity in case you think this is only about me!

From my perspective (and I do not have a mortgage, however my sister bought at peak prices and is in serious negative equity) I did not support bailing out the banks. It happened, but I did not support it. As for debt writedown, I do not think its equitable or fair to use tax payers money so that someone can hold onto their property. I could see some sort of debt writedown, but only in the context of a debt for equity swap. For those in serious debt problem where a writedown wouldn't help, it would be nice and 21st century for the Irish government to adopt sensible bankruptcy laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

France, as we all really knew, is now not fine, the Lisbon treaty is exposed as all lies with 'corporate tax harmonisation' & Talk on the radio etc about the 'core group of euro federalists' that are in brussels that was denied back when the referendum was being spun.

Lie after lie after lie exposed & yet people will still swallow what they are being fed & act like a blinkered horse!!!!!

This stuff is funny, the Lisbon treaty is a very detailed legal document. So either things are in it or not in it, it's a simple concept. The French might like to harmonise corporation tax but there's nothing in the Lisbon treaty that allows that, the only people that can change our corp tax rate is us. Nor do the French have the support from other EU nations to even push for it. End of story. Can't say I've missed your anti-EU rants since the run up to the Lisbon treaty vote.

• Advertisement

meglome wrote: »
    This stuff is funny, the Lisbon treaty is a very detailed legal document. So either things are in it or not in it, it's a simple concept. The French might like to harmonise corporation tax but there's nothing in the Lisbon treaty that allows that, the only people that can change our corp tax rate is us. Nor do the French have the support from other EU nations to even push for it. End of story. Can't say I've missed your anti-EU rants since the run up to the Lisbon treaty vote.

Ahh we cross swords again my good man meglome, its been a while, i have missed you despite your rejection of me,

Regarding the Lisbon treaty, i was more drawing your attention to the waffle that was awash around our country from our political leaders aplenty, YES to recovery, YES to jobs, blah blah blah........

You have to admit that we (our indiginous politicians) are inching closer & closer to an endorsment of,

1. 'harmonistaion' of corpo tax.
    2. Full intergration of the EU at a political level.

Both of which they were flatly telling us we would not, my point being, we were lied to again & again by all of the political leaders & somehow people still beleive the next bunch of fairy stories they spew out.

If it were in a business capacity & you discovered that you were lied to on a huge level, no way would you,

A. Beleive a single word out of them again.
    B. Ever put your trust in them again.

Why do people continously beleive & put their trust in proven liars again & again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

Ahh we cross swords again my good man meglome, its been a while, i have missed you despite your rejection of me,

Regarding the Lisbon treaty, i was more drawing your attention to the waffle that was awash around our country from our political leaders aplenty, YES to recovery, YES to jobs, blah blah blah........

You have to admit that we (our indiginous politicians) are inching closer & closer to an endorsment of,

Both of which they were flatly telling us we would not, my point being, we were lied to again & again by all of the political leaders & somehow people still beleive the next bunch of fairy stories they spew out.

If it were in a business capacity & you discovered that you were lied to on a huge level, no way would you,

Why do people continously beleive & put their trust in proven liars again & again.

Mise

Has it occurred to you that people may not have 'believed' any of the 'lies'

and
    voted for Lisbon? For instance they might have read the Treaty. After

all they were all adults!

Our own actions created the situation we're in so the Lisbon debate is irrelevant.

No I don't have to admit as I don't think they are inching closer. Sure Irish politicians know how to give a good sound-bite so that it keeps the French and German politicians happy. The French and German politicians need to look strong for their own voters which I have no issue with. Won't change the fact they don't have a means to change the corp tax rate or the support to get the means.

I hate to point this out but one of the main goals of the EU is closer political union. It's written down in the treaties, so it's not what you'd call a secret. Of course that can only happen here if the Irish people vote for it. So if it happens we'll have wanted it and if it doesn't we won't have wanted it... democracy an' all that. Though Sarkosy used the words 'Economic president' in his speech recently and didn't say anything about political integration. That was the usual suspects like the Daily Mail spouting their usual anti-EU nonsense.

Again I wasn't lied to so I'm not seeing the issue. I read most of the condensed Lisbon treaty and I got what I expected to get from it. Of course I was hoping our own government would fix the mess they created over the previous ten years. But no, they actually made it worse. It's very simple for me here... our mess and the Lisbon treaty have no connection to one another. I wasn't even lied to by FF as I was expecting their policies to go horribly wrong at some point once the property bubble inevitably burst.

On the actual OP I'm disgusted with the unions for calling for people not to pay mortgages. To me they were one of the groups with a hand in creating the mess. Though might be better to help people pay their mortgages than have them default and the state having to pay for the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What the hell has the Lisbon Treaty got to do with this thread?

nesf wrote: »

Didn't you know that the Lisbon Treaty caused a portal to open into hell which in turn caused every bad thing that happened here since that time. I think that's the way I heard it.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »

Ah sorry for pulling it off topic, i had a right old ding dong with Meglome on the run up to Lisbon two & havnt had the pleasure of his company since, main reason was contrary to all the pro lisbonites at the time we havnt recovered or had any nnew jobs provided.

*End of discussion about lisbon*

Advertisement