Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem with StreetFighter.ie

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I want to hear what the norn iron types think.

Bout time we had a cross community site eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

sure the site will just make itself, not like it costs hundreds/thousands to make one. TAKE your time. Anyone ask their family members what they think?

You could spend a million quid on if you want, it's still next to pointless in it's current usage.

norn iron/belfast being part of whatever new site we have would be a good thing.

but that would make freestatefighters.ie unusable sadly ;(

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ah now, I don't think it's pointless. Redesign or not, Sairus has made a serious effort to supply the site with content. Still needs an overhaul but the content is there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Placebo wrote: »
    sure the site will just make itself, not like it costs hundreds/thousands to make one. TAKE your time. Anyone ask their family members what they think?
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Ah now, I don't think it's pointless. Redesign or not, Sairus has made a serious effort to supply the site with content. Still needs an overhaul but the content is there now!

Onion has a point, Sairus is doing great stuff for the website.

Farz also has a point, this decision needs to be made and is taking way too long. It's actually going to create more work by making someone need to change all the backlinks and references to "SF.ie" to the new name as more content goes up on the site, and this amount of work only increases as the decision is delayed for longer.

I honestly don't think it matters at this point what the new name is, just that a decision is made.

Alternatively Farz, I spoke to my granny, and she recommends that we hold a meeting, to decide when to have a meeting, in which we discuss the various poll options, for having a poll where people can select from a couple of different surveys, to pick from a list upon which are the names of a bunch of different days of the week where we can potentially meet to discuss a new name for the site.

I think she might be onto something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Alternatively Farz, I spoke to my granny, and she recommends that we hold a meeting, to decide when to have a meeting, in which we discuss the various poll options, for having a poll where people can select from a couple of different surveys, to pick from a list upon which are the names of a bunch of different days of the week where we can potentially meet to discuss a new name for the site.

So basically run it like the goverment.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Placebo wrote: »

My Daughter's really good with photoshop and she came up with...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Can't we designate a time where we all log into the IRC to talk about this? we could create a special one off room for the purpouse as well. That way, we won't get distracted by the normal banter that goes on in the main chat.

To keep it private, only PM people who you want to be in the lobby and then publish a log / general overview of what went down after the fact.

Who should be invitited? Basiclly anyone who has done anything for the scene, be it run a tournement, moderated the fourms or IRC, etc.

Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

What needs to be talked about?? Its all been talked to death at this stage...

I say whatever was the most popular in this thread is the name or the committee pick what they want. simples

And then we let Farz give a tonne of his valuable time on creating a visual experince second to none!!

Can't we designate a time where we all log into the IRC to talk about this?

With all due respect Misty, I think this is the worst possible way to go about getting a decision: i.e. Involving the most amount of people possible who all have equal power (none).

We need to be less of a democracy, and more of a dictatorship on this issue.

Doom should decide on his own, or Azza should decide on his own. Or the two of them could come to a decision between them, involving as many (or few) important people in the scene they feel is necessary to not have a tie-break.

I think the only criteria that was agreed upon is that it shouldn't be so specific to Street Fighter, or any one game.

As long as the new name isn't = Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I dont have much time left to devote to this. I want to base the design ON the logo, so that is the starting and leading point for the design [for me anyway].
    Furthermore only thing that is motivating me to do this is the fact i can have it on my portfolio. As i do not live in Ireland anymore, i do not care as much for the scene, of course it is nice to see how far the community has gotten but thats as far as my attachment goes, nostalgic/emotional.

Plus i dont think the IRC folk give too tosses about the website or design in general. Saps.

When I say pointless, I'm not attacking Sairus' work, what I'm talking about is having 2 bases, and having to point people towards sf.ie from here.

all the talk has been on the name, and little on the function.

Speedhaak's crew have moved wholesale into mordor, with a forum.

As for farz, I actually agree with him basically, my only point above was in regards to the norn iron types; would avoiding a .ie domain be something to keep in mind, or would it matter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Speedhaak's crew have moved wholesale into mordor

But surely one does not simply walk into Mordor. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Right, seeing as everyone can't deicde I guess I will take a leadership role on this one. (Ugh management speak).

I'm going to ask each of the members of the committee what they want, then I am going to go to PPC (who, lest we forget, owns the site and could kick us all off tomorrow if he felt like it and ask nicely if we can change the name).

If you're down with this idea, just thank the post. If you're not, feel free to argue on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

If you're down with this idea, just thank the post.

You big thanks whore ;)

Someone might want to go buy randomselect.ie then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Done.
    Seeing as I have ownership of sf.ie I can request it as a rebranding and there should be less paper work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Twitter feed is now @RandomSelect_IE

If you're following already, no need to do anything. It all stays the same. We also keep our current followers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I hate it.
    I think we should do another vote.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

I don`t like the name, and ill tell you why.

First of all random select has no meaning, i think the name of the site is quite important, it is important to have a website that repersents what we are about, i feel that randomselect doesn`t mean anything, it does not represent our community, it gives no information as to what we are about and is a little confusing to the general public/average gamer.

I feel that if we are to grow our community into something bigger and better we must have a website that not only looks professional, but also has a professional name, a name with meaning, a name that the average gamer on the road will take a look at and straight away associate it with fighting games.

Also when it comes to financial backing it will be a lot harder to gain sponsors if we don`t look professional and have a professional name.

I think the name needs to change to www.fgi.ie - fighting games ireland. Its simple, its clean and straight away you know exactly what the website is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

What does Neo Empire mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

Doubt many average gamers would look at the domain name eventhubs.com and immediately think, fighting games. Before I got more involved in the genre I thought it was somewhere to get info on concerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

If I saw fgi.ie I'd think "Fine Gael Ireland"... may just be me though, I do hear "Fine Gael" even more than I hear "Fighting Games" >_>

Xinkai wrote: »

Pfft, c'mon Xinkai, it's clearly a Matrix trilogy fansite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Xinkai wrote: »

It was originally an online shop selling NeoGeo cartridges - but as it has a lot less to do with fighting games than randomselect.ie, the point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

At the risk of a temp-ban:
    Shut up chunkis, you contributed nothing in the name-change thread.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    At the risk of a temp-ban:
    Shut up chunkis, you contributed nothing in the name-change thread.

I don't really think that's necessary Kiki, Chunkis' heart is in the right place.

Chunkis, ultimately what you're discussing is the least important part of this whole process, a name is basically useless without good content to back it up, and if you read the "Problem with Streetfighter.ie" topic, you'll see this discussed to death. You'll also see me saying a hundred times that the name doesn't matter, all that matters was deciding the name thing and moving on to the actual important matters (content).

I think what we ideally want is for us to appear top of organic google search results for our name, and also when we tell people the name on the street that it's easy to remember, easy to find and not off-putting.

Randomselect is technically a better name than Shoryuken, Eventhubs, Neoempire and Streetfighter.ie; because it ticks all our boxes, is relevant, isn't exclusionary, is easy to remember, and probably most important seems very easy to take the #1 google spot.

If you check out Randomselect (or Random select) on Google, the current top result is a mugen fansite that hasn't been updated since Feb 2010, I am absolutely confident that if Doom, Sairus and Kneecap keep posting content, and we ALL COMMENT AND REPOST IT (caps for emphasis lads, seriousl) we'll be top of the search rankings in very short order.

This is not true of your name, as Konata pointed out is very synonymous with Fine Gael in Ireland, numerous other websites on google, and is an internet acronym for "F*cking Google it!" (lol irony).

So I know saying that in your opinion it's "clean, simple" etc is all well and good, but really these are bollocks fluffy terms that mean nothing.

Randomselect is a very good name for our purposes, fgi.ie is a very bad name.

Thanks for your contribution, but on this matter I'm afraid you're simple wrong.

Posts moved from other thread.

You will note with interest that there is a week between which I announced what I was doing and I announced the new name. No one bothered to comment then, so I quite frankly consider criticism at this point null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

chunkis wrote: »
    I don`t like the name, and ill tell you why.

I believe this conversation has already taken place and the decision was made.

I wasn't gone on the name at the beginning but it has grown on me.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement