Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem with StreetFighter.ie

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Really like randomselect.ie. Make it happen!

http://randomselect.piiym-net.com/ seems to be inactive and about mugen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Could just call any account associated with it RandomSelectIRL or something.

I also quite like the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seanalot

Randomselect is rubbish. To a casual gammer it means nothing. Round1.ie ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Fighting Games Ireland might not be a catchy name but it hits the nail on the head, the name has an irish theme and the title explains what the site is about, you could also use the abreviation www.fgi.com

The goal should be to support every fighting game, not just the new games, but the old games too.

Content for the site is also very important, updating it everyday with the latest news is key to attracting people to use it, even if you have to nick the news from elsewhere its a good idea just to keep the site active, you often see srk and neoempire sharing the same news updates, daly content is so important and is vital if the site is to be successful.

Player exposure is important too, dispite the level in ireland not being as high as everywhere else, our best players are still the best in ireland, they should be recognised for there achivements. I don`t always agree with players being looked at as celebrities because these days it seems alot of players are famous for doing almost nothing, but having celebrity players that are active in our scene will attract people to use the site a bit more and give the site and the scene more exposure.

For example, stev0 has has just won irelands biggest tournament and is now on his way to EVO, if he ever had a chance of being sponsored now is the time. But nobody knows about him, and the reason nobody knows about him is because the site hasn`t really done its job, its not given stev0 the support he needs to be recognised to get sponsored, the same with cobelcog and simon. Our site has to focus on all aspects of the fighting game scene, not just news and videos and podcasts, but focus on the players too.

The site has to be a place where all fighting game fans in ireland can come and find out about the fighting game scene here and abroad, but also be a place were it can link people together so they can make friends who all share the same interests.

The name isn`t really that important, but what it represents is, as long as you don`t call it streetfighterAEisallweplay.****u.net we shouldn`t have any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Like I've said in the chat room, I don't mind what name is used in the long run and we're all never going to unanimously agree on one. Besides, apart from Shoryuken.com, the other two sites that I know of ( eventhubs and neo empire ) have names that don't immediately suggest fighting games, just putting that out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Lol just do a poll and use whatever gets most votes. Seems like the logical thing to do. Percentages are of more use than 13 pages of opinions :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Id love BeatMeUpScotty.ie

But on a more srsly note

Finalround.ie might work. It's universal doesn't have numbers and is relevant to the genre.

If it's gonna cover multiple games in the genre make it universal to all fighting games. Things like qcf or wakeupsuper may not cross over. I thought FGI too but it doesn't have much pizzaz. Finalround you know what the ****s goin down. It's the final round and it can't be about anything else.

You're welcome.
    The one and only, Zorin.

P.S. I'm ****in deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Ry wrote: »
    Id love BeatMeUpScotty.ie

But on a more srsly note

Finalround.ie might work. It's universal doesn't have numbers and is relevant to the genre.

If it's gonna cover multiple games in the genre make it universal to all fighting games. Things like qcf or wakeupsuper may not cross over. I thought FGI too but it doesn't have much pizzaz. Finalround you know what the ****s goin down. It's the final round and it can't be about anything else.

You're welcome.
    The one and only, Zorin.

P.S. I'm ****in deadly

Except the Atlanta scene already use Final Round - http://finalround.org/

FGI.ie might be the best option, its short and sweet, easy to remember and gets the point across.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I...oh god...

I agree with Chunkis.

I feel dirty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i really dont see the relevance of omitting ideas just because some Brazilian community came up with it first. The whole point of this website is to be a portal and a prime recruiter for IRISH players, while some recognition in the worldwide community might be nice, but thats just a bonus and not our primary aim.

BESIDES with an amazing, top notch design for the new site, we will dominate the domain name predecessors and claim the official throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Placebo wrote: »
    BESIDES with an amazing, top notch design for the new site, we will dominate the domain name predecessors and claim the official throne.

I agree with this. Also if there was a facebook.org and facebook.ie was the facebook we know it'd change nothing. People wouldn't say "aww but there's a facebook.org too that's so disappointing because I only use facebook.ie". It doesn't matter a damn there's a finalround.org. Also if lets say we called it FightMyArse.ie just for examples sake and someone else afterwards created fightmyarse.com or org or net etc would it really matter? Would people be annoyed by their fightmyarse.org page? I highly doubt it. Who cares who has already used it. The point is it's easy to tell others looking for somewhere to congregate and have them remember it.

It doesn't have to be original. Hell we could call it shoryuken.ie but the only reason we wouldn't is because shoryuken.com has such prestige at this stage in the community it would be crossing some kind of "internet honour" line but finalround.org is like ours a local site.

If it's still an issue call it http://www.battered.ie/. It's irish slang which keeps the local vibe about it and it's a single word easy to remember.

Ry

P.S. Your ma loves Zorin cock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

That and shoryuken.ie is taken.

I like battered.ie, not a big fan of finalround.ie but at the end of the day I don't give a toss one way or the other what the site is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The worst thing about shoryuken.ie...
    is the ACTUAL Shoryuken.ie having NOTHING to do with fighting games!

We're not a local site though, are we?

We're a national site, in an international online world.

Neo empire.
    Shadowloo.
    What ever the hell Canada's one is.
    SRK.

That's us. We are the Irish analogue of those sites. We are the scene.

I suggest leaving this discussion going until the end of the month. At that time run a poll with the most popular names and then we'll leave it at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The reason the committee thing was set up was to stop doing stuff by public poll etc., which is a mess - if it's gonna happen it'll be decided among us after reading people's opinions on here I'd imagine.

Ry wrote: »
    FightMyArse.ie

LMAO we have a winner.

Committee should make the decision. If anyone is disappointed with the result, please pick it up with your local Union.

Ar, that's fair enough.

round1.png

excited ? you should be ! cant wait to bust out the site, whatever it gets called.

• Advertisement

Needs more green.

And harps.

Maybe a pint of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Sairus wrote: »
    Needs more green.

And harps.

Maybe a pint of Guinness.

Change the D to a harp and the O to a pint of guinness with some shamrocks on top and bobs your uncle, daigo vs tokido for the grand finals of Inferno 19 :P

times up folks
    the more content that goes up on current sf.ie
    the harder it will make for me to translate, the thumbnails etc for image posts will need to be created again and may not translate well etc etc

so lets do this [it will take some time to create the site too]

As the first person to generate some actual exclusive content in ages I should get to decide :D

after all of sairus's interviews, the cheek.

also since the other night reminded all in attendance... INFERNO.IE

also also, can anyone fix the logo banner thingy in the mean time.

Oh I'm so sorry the player interviews are not up to your supreme standards, Doom. :(

Sairus wrote: »
    Oh I'm so sorry the player interviews are not up to your supreme standards, Doom. :(

Sure they're just words Sairus, they do not stand up to the might of an MP3 file :P

also also, can anyone fix the logo banner thingy in the mean time.

I made a very temporary change to it so at least the logo is visible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

thefightingirish.ie :D

• Advertisement

So, any decision on the name?

Advertisement