Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

unkel wrote: »
    I won't be offering anywhere near €5500 :p

According to chrono the average price on that reference is 4900 sterling. 6500 is a heavy price. For a adverts deal around 5k would seem on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

According to chrono the average price on that reference is 4900 sterling. 6500 is a heavy price. For a adverts deal around 5k would seem on the money.

Which makes the RRP of €6,250 look attractive. I feel I should go for the newer model that has lume on the 3 / 6 / 9

Wonder what the situation with stock / waiting list is. Sending of some emails to Weir's and Lunn's now...

Which makes the RRP of €6,250 look attractive. I feel I should go for the newer model that has lume on the 3 / 6 / 9

Wonder what the situation with stock / waiting list is. Sending off some emails to Weir's and Lunn's now...

Yeah, I certainly think the RRP is worth is, the explorer is not an appreciating watch but should hold steady enough. Hard to get, Weirs have nothing but maybe their allocation has come in, and explorer is not a "Big ask" so they should be happy to help....you thought about a milgauss, very similar but with more "pzazz" mark my words they are going to go up in value, they are already gone up 5% on average on chrono this year and they seem to fly off adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I asked for an Explorer II in Heathrow just before Christmas - was told to buy something for the wife or mother-in-law and they'd probably have it within a year

Yeah I like the Milgauss, you still have yours? Not as simple and clean as an Explorer, but more funky.

• Advertisement

Yeah I like the Milgauss, you still have yours? Not as simple and clean as an Explorer, but more funky.

Yeah I have mine, stupidly sold it but bough another one, worst seller remorse I ever had. I love it, and the explorer the same (basically the same watch).

When I was looking for a watch under 1000 euro last month, i fell in and then out of love with Christopher Ward selection - don't know why I broke it off-
    but their 50% section, had i not been in the market for something "special" would certainly have attracted me- they had a number of watches on 50% sale a few weeks ago-including special editions- now, only just one- C7 Rapide Quartz- but where would you be @ 247.50 and probably less again if you go onto their UK site and paid STG, for a nice unique little watch...

https://www.christopherward.eu/events/clearance2/half-price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016R90VBK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slickdeals09-20&ascsubtag=752595704c1311eaaf572ecf0bfff0bf0INT&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Promaster Diver Watch with Date, BN0150-28E

Can be got in here for about €100

Bargain alright. Doesn't ship to the UK or Ireland though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭micks_address

Bargain alright. Doesn't ship to the UK or Ireland though...

Addresspal? Only downside is you will definitely be hit for import tax

• Advertisement

Addresspal? Only downside is you will definitely be hit for import tax
    With addresspal do you have to pay additional 'clearance fees' or are they included in the €15.99 cost ?

I know coming through normal An Post they sting you for a €10 clearance fee if any customs are due.

I know coming through normal An Post they sting you for a €10 clearance fee if any customs are due.

It doesn't work like that. You either pay nothing as there is no VAT / import duty due. Or you pay 23% VAT over the value of the watch (+ shipping costs + insurance costs) - there is no import duty on watches - plus a fixed fee. Like the €10 you mention, most other delivery companies charge more these days. The last time I paid €14, I think with UPS.

It doesn't work like that. You either pay nothing as there is no VAT / import duty due. Or you pay 23% VAT over the value of the watch (+ shipping costs + insurance costs) - there is no import duty on watches - plus a fixed fee. Like the €10 you mention, most other delivery companies charge more these days. The last time I paid €14, I think with UPS.
    If you use addresspal an post open the package in the US and calculate import tax based on the invoice..if there isn't one included they email and you have to provide. On 100 euro should be about 20 euro tax Plus their 15.99 fee

If you use addresspal an post open the package in the US and calculate import tax based on the invoice..if there isn't one included they email and you have to provide. On 100 euro should be about 20 euro tax Plus their 15.99 fee

It's not import tax. It's VAT. And it's charged at 23%, so on 100 euro it should be exactly 23 euro plus their fee :)

It's not import tax. It's VAT. And it's charged at 23%, so on 100 euro it should be exactly 23 euro plus their fee :)

Either way I wasn't far off with my 20 euro

My question was whether the clearance fee was gratis when using AnPost AddressPal USA which starts at €15.99 per shipment.

Apparently it's not, so you can tack on an extra tenner on the end. (actually 1% item value with minimum charge €10)

When Amazon,com ship items directly to Ireland via their globalshipping program it works out very nicely because their shipping is reasonable, they sort the VAT etc up front and they don't charge any clearance fee. You see the full cost up front before clicking buy.

Unfortunately it's hit & miss as to which items are included in the program.

Either way I wasn't far off with my 20 euro

Indeed :D

Still a bit of a nasty surprise if you were hoping not to get stung. I bought a hub motor from Hong Kong recently. €77 including shipping. But then I was hit with €18 VAT (23%) and a flat €14 handling fee, upping the landed cost of the motor to €109

Indeed :D

Still a bit of a nasty surprise if you were hoping not to get stung. I bought a hub motor from Hong Kong recently. €77 including shipping. But then I was hit with €18 VAT (23%) and a flat €14 handling fee, upping the landed cost of the motor to €109

With something like addresspal you are goosed but from other sources it's pot luck.. my gshock all metal came from a seller in Australia with the value declared on the outside and it was delivered to my office with no charges..

From private / small business sellers from all over the world you are likely to get a away with it. Far less so with packages from China these days...

From private / small business sellers from all over the world you are likely to get a away with it. Far less so with packages from China these days...

What will Brexit have in store soon? With customs checks on their way in one form or another, will we be adding 23% to those parcels too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Ryath

Not quite as good as bargain as the last one but still a good deal at £170
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WGM2H1N?psc=1

Edit one of the re-sellers has dropped it to £165 shipped by amazon

2642729-61016-seiko-5-sports-srpd71k2-10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not quite sure how much of a bargain this may be?
    But!
    HDUK seem to think it's great value at £209
    Seiko prospex PADI Solar.

https://amjwatches.co.uk/seiko-prospex-padi-solar-sne499p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZAQ5OQ

seems a nice watch for £100

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Can't believe I am suggesting this one but at $90 for a 40mm 1953 sub homage it's quite nice and is getting good reviews on watchuseek. It's an Invicta with a Seiko movement and it's been in the cart for the past week and I just can't pull the trigger.

Invicta 31290

xglDCYa.jpg

1953 Rolex Submariner

z8d4LdC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I'ld buy one but they are not this side of the pond yet. I like the painted rather than applied indices. Its a good looking watch for seiko 5 specs and money.
    I see folks on WUS have flagged that it will take SKX crystals, so the modding to domed sapphire has begun, acrylic is also an option.

njburke wrote: »
    I'ld buy one but they are not this side of the pond yet. I like the painted rather than applied indices. Its a good looking watch for seiko 5 specs and money.
    I see folks on WUS have flagged that it will take SKX crystals, so the modding to domed sapphire has begun, acrylic is also an option.

Yes a lot complaining that it's not available outside the US and no hint of when it will be available. Invicta's website is out of stock, Shophq one of the shopping channels seem to be the only place with any available. I live in North Carolina and with a promo code it's about $98 to my door, seems like a bargain.

Here's the watchuseek link if anyone fancies a read

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/sweet-new-invicta-vintage-diver-just-released-5126779.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

HDMI wrote: »
    Yes a lot complaining that it's not available outside the US and no hint of when it will be available. Invicta's website is out of stock, Shophq one of the shopping channels seem to be the only place with any available. I live in North Carolina and with a promo code it's about $98 to my door, seems like a bargain.

Here's the watchuseek link if anyone fancies a read

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/sweet-new-invicta-vintage-diver-just-released-5126779.html

You going to give it a go?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

You going to give it a go?

If it was 42mm I would already bought it, 40mm might be a little small for me although it does have a larger dial than Seiko uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

HDMI wrote: »
    If it was 42mm I would already bought it, 40mm might be a little small for me although it does have a larger dial than Seiko uses.

I thought you were volunteering to be our group buy address :P

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    I thought you were volunteering to be our group buy address :P

More than happy to be a forwarding service for anyone that would like one sent on. :pac:

If anyone needs anything from over here let me know.

Advertisement