Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pokemon General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Feck, I wonder will it actually get that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That's just a bootleg pokemon green or a ROM hack. Gameboy colour wasn't around at the time of pokemon greens release even though it says it on the label. The word Nintendo isn't printed on the PCB as it would even with a prototype game. Gameboy prototype games are generally in grey cartridges and will usually just have a black and white sticker on the front to say what the game is and what build/version it is.

Edit: here's a genuine prototype gameboy cart. http://bit.ly/OWZD7U

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

That's just a bootleg pokemon green or a ROM hack. Gameboy colour wasn't around at the time of pokemon greens release even though it says it on the label. The word Nintendo isn't printed on the PCB as it would even with a prototype game. Gameboy prototype games are generally in grey cartridges and will usually just have a black and white sticker on the front to say what the game is and what build/version it is.

Edit: here's a genuine prototype gameboy cart. http://bit.ly/OWZD7U

That is exactly what I was thinking. Was wondering if I had missed something since I didnt think anyone would chance their arm for that amount. Apparently people are dumber than I gave credit for. Hope nobody buys it. Surely if you're spending that much you'd do a whole tonne of research first which should show it is 99.9% not what it claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

But it's the spooky prototype cart that kills kids in Japan! It must be worth the money <flings credit cards, tesco receipts and BBs Muffins loyalty stamps at screen>

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if pokémon downloaded from pokécheck can be used in the random-matchup battles on the battle spot? I just got my dream-team but I don't want to use it online if it could ban me from events :)

• Advertisement

Paso Fino wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if pokémon downloaded from pokécheck can be used in the random-matchup battles on the battle spot? I just got my dream-team but I don't want to use it online if it could ban me from events :)

You wouldn't be banned. Worst case is your Pokémon would be rejected and it would ask you to pick someone else in their place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

English trailer for the next movie.

So Charizard and Greninja are now playable characters in Smash Bros. Personally I'd have preferred a Chesnaught to water ninja :P Heard that Lucario can mega in it, and someone else said Charizard can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I had a battle in Pokemon X but it timed out and to my surprise I was awarded the win. Can anyone tell me how is it determined who wins when time is up?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Perhaps it's whoever has knocked out more pokémon, or done the most damage. Honestly though, I'm not certain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah I'm nearly sure it's whoever's dealt the most damage wins.

Only just found out about Natural Objects, starting to harvest items from it now :P

Angron wrote: »
    Only just found out about Natural Objects, starting to harvest items from it now :P

That's really cool! Didn't know about that either.

Found out about it more or less by accident. Was levelling up a Venusaur, it learned Petal Blizzard, decided to look it up and Bulbapedia mentioned it cut grass patches in battles. I'd noticed the trees and stuff before, but I just thought they were a cosmetic thing.

I noticed it by accident before. Was grinding in Victory Road with Surf and noticed the background getting destroyed. Thought it was pretty cool but never put it together that that was how you found the items. I always assumed they were random.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

10177951_508766282562153_5217151465146779069_n.jpg

10257687_728740677165767_6657161079673639265_n.jpg

so-you-thought-3ydqcn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Someone wonder traded me a pokemon holding a master ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

anyone annoyed that the new legends havent been released yet a new game is out in 4 months?

anyone annoyed that the new legends havent been released yet a new game is out in 4 months?

Kinda, like Diancie was announced, yet I don't think it's had an actual release yet.

New game already?

• Advertisement

ruby and saphire remakes

ruby and saphire remakes

That's not a new game in my mind. I thought it was a follow up to X and Y that I had missed :pac:

Not sure why they are going back to the worst games they ever made instead of following up the best games they made in a long time. Still a lot they could do with Kalos.

The Gen 1 and 2 remakes were needed in order to have (almost) all the Pokémon available in some form. A Gen 3 remake does nothing. An actual new game would have been far better news in my mind.

Well just cause some people didn't like them, doesn't mean they should skip them. A lot of people enjoyed them (myself included), and there's a lot of folks that have never played them either. Skipping them to please some would be silly.

watching the gf try to catch zapados for an hour whie it was fleeing, no luck getting it to settle on the island, i take over, 2 encounters later it's on the island, her not impressed at all.

So she finally catches it and what does she say "now you can sit and rot in my box"

cue her looking up and hushing me. So c-u-n-t the zapados is now banished to pc hell for life

Well just cause some people didn't like them, doesn't mean they should skip them. A lot of people enjoyed them (myself included), and there's a lot of folks that have never played them either. Skipping them to please some would be silly.

They aren't needed at all. What will they achieve that another game in Kalos won't?

The only reason I can come up with is to make Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza easier to obtain. If that's the problem, include them in the next Kalos game like Mewtwo and the bird trio in X and Y.

Considering how few new Pokémon were added in X and Y, it is incredibly disappointing to see them go backwards.

Fair enough if that's what you think, but I disagree that it's backwards. By that token, FR/LG and HG/SS were backwards, which I also don't think would be true.

Fair enough if that's what you think, but I disagree that it's backwards. By that token, FR/LG and HG/SS were backwards, which I also don't think would be true.

FRLGHGSS were needed because it was otherwise impossible to get a decent chunk of the Pokémon. You couldn't trade from RBYGSC forward. Right now, we can trade from RSE all the way to X and Y. It takes a while, but it is completely doable. That wasn't the case when they changed from GBC to GBA. They pretty much had to do them to keep up the idea of catching them all.

It's backwards because it won't introduce any new Pokémon and will only make trading the main Gen 3 legendaries easier. That's literally the only positive that seems to exist. Everything else is wasted time and resources that should be used on moving forward, not backwards. We going to get DPPlt remakes next?

Really it just seems you don't want the games because you didn't like the originals. Heck, I remember seeing on Facebook someone scrabbling for reasons not to have Ruby and Sapphire remakes, including an implausible skipping of it to go straight to a remake of DPP (I think they may have also brought up the idea of a re-remake of Red and Blue, but I'm not sure of that). Considering that they came out when Pokémon was at a low ebb, a lot of people have never played the games. You can't pick them up in most shops bar retro game places or whatever you'd call them, and if you don't want to buy online then this is your chance to play through Hoenn.

It's probable we'll be getting a remake of DPP down the line, but that's likely not until the next gen. Just because they are doing the remakes now though, doesn't necessarily mean they won't do an X/Y sequel after it. (Maybe they won't, I don't know) I know I'd like a sequel of some sorts to X/Y owing to how sparse the post-game of the two was.

Really it just seems you don't want the games because you didn't like the originals. Heck, I remember seeing on Facebook someone scrabbling for reasons not to have Ruby and Sapphire remakes, including an implausible skipping of it to go straight to a remake of DPP. Considering that they came out when Pokémon was at a low ebb, a lot of people have never played the games. You can't pick them up in most shops bar retro game places or whatever you'd call them, and if you don't want to buy online then this is your chance to play through Hoenn.

It's probable we'll be getting a remake of DPP down the line, but that's likely not until the next gen. Just because they are doing the remakes now though, doesn't necessarily mean they won't do an X/Y sequel after it. (Maybe they won't, I don't know) I know I'd like a sequel of some sorts to X/Y owing to how sparse the post-game of the two was.

Ruby and Sapphire were the reason for the low ebb. They started it. The games were incredibly unpopular and were a disaster compared to the previous games. Yellow alone has sold almost as many as Ruby and Sapphire combined. By the time X and Y are a year old, they will probably have out sold it too. They were not popular games at the time and drove a lot of people away. A lot of people that they never got back. The only people who seem to like them, are those who started with them and didn't know any better.

I don't get why they are wasting time on something that almost killed the name when they could be putting that time and effort into the games that have brought them back to the top. I'm still yet to hear an actual reason why these games are better than a follow up for X and Y.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Ruby and Sapphire were the reason for the low ebb. They started it. The games were incredibly unpopular and were a disaster compared to the previous games. Yellow alone has sold almost as many as Ruby and Sapphire combined. By the time X and Y are a year old, they will probably have out sold it too. They were not popular games at the time and drove a lot of people away. A lot of people that they never got back. The only people who seem to like them, are those who started with them and didn't know any better.

I don't get why they are wasting time on something that almost killed the name when they could be putting that time and effort into the games that have brought them back to the top. I'm still yet to hear an actual reason why these games are better than a follow up for X and Y.

Nope, I started on Red, and I enjoyed the games. And I wouldn't blame Ruby and Sapphire solely for the low ebb, I know in my school people stopped after Gold and Silver not because of the next game, but in the time in between. The fad just sort of died. I'm not saying RSE didn't lose them some fans, but I really did enjoy them so I don't get why others didn't. It's hard to be objective in either case :pac:

Advertisement