Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pokemon General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

Think my sapphire is on its last legs, the battery in that is f*cked so i can't grow berries anymore but i can still save

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Think my sapphire is on its last legs, the battery in that is f*cked so i can't grow berries anymore but i can still save

Yeah actually the battery in my sapphire is completely gone...it's weird that my gen 1 games from the mid - late 90's are still grand whereas I got sapphire in '03 and it was gone after a few years

Yeah actually the battery in my sapphire is completely gone...it's weird that my gen 1 games from the mid - late 90's are still grand whereas I got sapphire in '03 and it was gone after a few years

i'm hoping for a ruby and sapphire remake on the 3ds in the future

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

What I've found is the batteries in R/B/Y are still holding up but the majority of G/S/C carts the battery is dead. The batteries are easily replaced though and super easy to do. I did it on a spare gold cart I have.

Thankfully the GBA games don't use batteries for saves, only for clock use so it doesn't really matter if those batteries die.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Angron wrote: »
    I know! I still have my Game Boy Colour and copies of Blue and Gold.

Pfft.

I have my GBC, GBA, two GBSP, two link cables, RBY, GSC and RS! :p

Only thing missing is the original GB which I misplaced many years ago. Never got Emerald as I didnt really like Ruby and Sapphire.

Crystal is still good but I think the rest are dead battery wise. Red was 151 too :(

• Advertisement

What I've found is the batteries in R/B/Y are still holding up but the majority of G/S/C carts the battery is dead. The batteries are easily replaced though and super easy to do. I did it on a spare gold cart I have.

Thankfully the GBA games don't use batteries for saves, only for clock use so it doesn't really matter if those batteries die.

Changing the battery erases the save though doesn't it? On my yellow I have all 151 caught and about 15 non rare candied lvl 100s so I'd prefer not to erase that save!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It will if you have a save on it, yeah. You could trade over any pokemon you want to keep to another cart, change the battery and trade them back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Watching the first movie now :D

Watching the first movie now :D

There is a prequel that you should have watched first. Explains how Mewtwo came to be which I dont remember being explained in the movie. In the Anime he just appeared from nowhere to destroy poor Gary.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    There is a prequel that you should have watched first. Explains how Mewtwo came to be which I dont remember being explained in the movie. In the Anime he just appeared from nowhere to destroy poor Gary.

...should have watched? What do you take me for? :pac: The only film I've seen more than this one is Jurassic Park.

• Advertisement

...should have watched? What do you take me for? :pac: The only film I've seen more than this one is Jurassic Park.

The prequel? It's about 15 minutes.

Yeah, I'm saying I've seen Mewtwo's origins.

has anyone seen the Pokemon Origins series ? its about 4 episodes long and it follows the journey of Red from the originals games

Aye, Origins is good, it's just a shame it's so short.

yeah i prefered it a lot more then the ash ketchum anime, even the voices of the pokemon were a lot better, animals growls are a lot better then the pokemon just saying their name

What is people's history when it comes to the Pokémon games?

For me, a friend got Blue when it came out. I played it for a few minutes and loved it. Next day I (well my mother) went out and got Red, since he had Blue. Played it for about 30 minutes and thought it was the stupidest game ever and wished I had gotten Blue instead. I couldn't figure out how to get out of the fcuking house :pac: was wondering why Blue got all the grass and water and Pokémon while Red was stuck in a house :o

Once I figured that toughie out, I loved it. Would then go on to get Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby and Sapphire before stopping. All except Blue were pretty much on release. I didn't like Ruby and Sapphire so skipped Emerald. Got Pearl about six months after it was released and it sucked me back in. Then got Platinum on release. Didn't bother with Black or White as I had played a ROM and didn't like it. Skipped Black 2 and White 2 aswell before deciding to take the chance again with X and once again loving it. Got Black 2 at the start of the year but didn't think much of it. About halfway through I got an online guide to find the quickest way to finish so I could get all the legendaries for X. Based on history I may not like Gen VII much.

What is people's history when it comes to the Pokémon games?

For me, a friend got Blue when it came out. I played it for a few minutes and loved it. Next day I (well my mother) went out and got Red, since he had Blue. Played it for about 30 minutes and thought it was the stupidest game ever and wished I had gotten Blue instead. I couldn't figure out how to get out of the fcuking house :pac: was wondering why Blue got all the grass and water and Pokémon while Red was stuck in a house :o

Once I figured that toughie out, I loved it. Would then go on to get Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby and Sapphire before stopping. All except Blue were pretty much on release. I didn't like Ruby and Sapphire so skipped Emerald. Got Pearl about six months after it was released and it sucked me back in. Then got Platinum on release. Didn't bother with Black or White as I had played a ROM and didn't like it. Skipped Black 2 and White 2 aswell before deciding to take the chance again with X and once again loving it. Got Black 2 at the start of the year but didn't think much of it. About halfway through I got an online guide to find the quickest way to finish so I could get all the legendaries for X. Based on history I may not like Gen VII much.
    Started with Red and a GBC that I got for my communion, then I got Gold when it came out. I kinda faded away for a while cause nobody I knew really played any more, but then I picked up a copy of Ruby and a GBA SP when I saw them going cheap-ish somewhere, and then got Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen. When Diamond and Pearl came out I picked up a DS Lite and Diamond, a few months later Pearl, and then Platinum when it came out. When the Gen 2 remakes came out I picked up HeartGold, while one of my friends got SoulSilver. Picked up White on release, Black about a month after, White 2 on release and Black 2 another month or two after that. I then got Y on release and I'll likely get X before the third version comes (or the sequel if they go the B/W route).

Also have a bunch of the side games like the Mystery Dungeon series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

My then-Girlfriend was looking for Blue for her little brother (back in 98? 99? back when it was just released and like gold-dust) for christmas so I had a crack at it on an emulator to see what all the fuss was about. I was too old for it then, I'm too old for it now, but how and ever I recognised that underneath the cute exterior beat the heart of the purest stat-grind RPG I'd ever seen, so when Colosseum came out for N64 I picked it and Blue up (it came with a GB converter jobby for playing Blue at 3 or 4 times normal speed on the telly). Didn't pick up a handheld Nintendo until the DS, but went back to Emerald and Fire Red, leaf green, then Gen 4 - by christ, the GTS and WiFi trading made a difference! - and once I was up to speed I've been picking them up on release day since Platinum. Even went so far as to get a japanese version of Black to get a head start.

Still haven't battled against another player. I think I missed the point of this game series :)

For me it was blue that got me started. My mam brought me back a GBC from holidays one year shortly after they were released. My cousin had red and everyone in school was mad into pokemon so I got blue and loved it. Got yellow then and put countless hours into it. I then lost interest in the series and missed out on G/S/C at the time. My best friend at the time had gold though and I'd play a bit on his copy but never got my own. A few years went by and the same friend picked up ruby on release. I decided to get back into the series and got sapphire. After that I was hooked again. I'd go over to his house all the time and we'd battle, trade and try figure out everything to the game. Eventually though I grew apart from that friend and my interest in pokemon faded again. I was then in England one year and got myself a fat DS and a copy of Pearl. Absolutely loved pearl and played it to death and my love for the series was rekindled and grew from there! Eventually picked up a copy of gold and played through what I'd missed. Since then I've been getting the games on release and importing the Japanese copies.

I was in primary school when pokemania was in full swing so I'd been mad into the series from the start but my first introduction to the games was when I was 5, my older cousin had been working clearing out foreclosed homes and he found a yellow cartridge that had been left and gave it to me. I had no gbc but my best friend around the corner did so we'd kind of share the game. Soon after I got blue and he got red so we could battle etc. I got gold version when it came out and really liked it. Got sapphire at release too and though I liked it, it didn't hold the same magic for me as the others had as I had stopped watching the series at that stage so the new Pokémon didn't really mean much to me - this trend continued as I didn't even buy pearl but borrowed it off a friend after it'd come out...can't even remember if I completed it or not!

Haven't played any of the games past gen4; though I still continue to play yellow, blue and crystal regularly. Although I'm sure the new games are excellent in their own right, they hold no level of nostalgia for me and I dislike the new evolutions they keep adding on to the original Pokemon so I find I just can't play them!

Poor excuse I know but the original games are very connected to my early childhood so I'm kind of stuck in a time warp in that regard!

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried speed running?

I tried it on Ruby and was going well until I hit the Pokemon league and found out that Groudon is useless. Going to try again but on Sapphire so I can have Kyogre. The record looks to be 1:54 so I wasnt even close to that. If Groudon was half way useful I'd have done it in 6 something which I'd consider a success for my first attempt.

The record skips a load of Pokemon centers and makes good use of the X Attack etc. I did neither and struggled big time with May before Mauville due to being under leveled. I also got lost looking for Steven because I didnt have Flash :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Has anyone tried speed running?

I tried it on Ruby and was going well until I hit the Pokemon league and found out that Groudon is useless. Going to try again but on Sapphire so I can have Kyogre. The record looks to be 1:54 so I wasnt even close to that. If Groudon was half way useful I'd have done it in 6 something which I'd consider a success for my first attempt.

The record skips a load of Pokemon centers and makes good use of the X Attack etc. I did neither and struggled big time with May before Mauville due to being under leveled. I also got lost looking for Steven because I didnt have Flash :pac:

I've done it on a Japanese Green, I think, but that doesn't really count, does it? The game's so glitch-addled it's almost poor-form not to abuse it.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I've done it on a Japanese Green, I think, but that doesn't really count, does it? The game's so glitch-addled it's almost poor-form not to abuse it.

Records say they have to be done on the English version so I guess not. What time did you get? Some people do them in only a few minutes with certain glitches. Without glitches the record is about 90 minutes.

I tried again on Sapphire and again May destroyed me. The WR time for the start of May is ~33 minutes. I was on 41 so wasnt far off at all. Didnt beat her until 1:05 so thats my big roadblock right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Records say they have to be done on the English version so I guess not. What time did you get? Some people do them in only a few minutes with certain glitches. Without glitches the record is about 90 minutes.

I tried again on Sapphire and again May destroyed me. The WR time for the start of May is ~33 minutes. I was on 41 so wasnt far off at all. Didnt beat her until 1:05 so thats my big roadblock right now.

Mine wouldn't have been anything noteworthy, given unfamiliarity with its glitches, but folk have finished within 30 minutes or less by taking advantage of the warp-tile glitch; though, again, it wouldn't count considering they're getting to the HoF with no 'Mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Milk Drink or Synthesis- Which would be the better choice?

Whoops, I'd been looking at the wrong gen. Synthesis will heal you 2/3rds of your max health in sun, 1/2 if there's no weather, and 1/4 in other weather. So it seems synthesis is the better option, unless you come up against rain, sand, or hail.

Milk drink does have more PP in its favour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Whoops, I'd been looking at the wrong gen. Synthesis will heal you 2/3rds of your max health in sun, 1/2 if there's no weather, and 1/4 in other weather. So it seems synthesis is the better option, unless you come up against rain, sand, or hail.

Milk drink does have more PP in its favour though.

Yeah, I was thinking Milk Drink packed 10PP alright, where the synth had five. I reckon I might stick with Synthesis.

Well you can get the PP of Synthesis up to 8 using PP up or PP max.

My first (finished) speed run:

rPW5RJs.jpg

Delighted with that. Nowhere close to the WR but it's my first attempt. WR attempts require you to know every single thing you're going to do well in advance.

May before Mauville took me close half an hour due to grinding, Norman beat me four times, I fought a load of extra trainers and didnt use my Masterball on Kyogre so all that added to my time.

If I could beat May first time without grinding, I think I can get it down to about three hours easy enough. The entire Pokemon league was destroyed in about 20 minutes by Kyogre, one Max Elixer and a handful of Full Restores.

• Advertisement

Advertisement