Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is health insurance actually necessary in Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Zaph wrote: »
    For me, and many other people, not being forced to wait 18 months for a consultation or treatment far outweighs the cost.
    But going private does not necessarily mean having private health insurance. You can go private and pay for it yourself. PHI is well over €1000 a year at the moment. Saving that >€1000 in an emergency fund may work out far better than paying it to an insurer. Of course, it may not, but it's always a balancing act

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

28064212 wrote: »
    But going private does not necessarily mean having private health insurance. You can go private and pay for it yourself. PHI is well over €1000 a year at the moment. Saving that >€1000 in an emergency fund may work out far better than paying it to an insurer. Of course, it may not, but it's always a balancing act

You can go private but costs can be huge depending on what it is. It is a level of uncertainty. €1000 a year in an emergency fund would not go very far for health care privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We downgraded my policy this year and it saved about €300.
    So far this year I have had a scan which cost €130, been to 2 consultants which altogether was €320 and one of those wants to see me back which is another €80.
    I potentially might have to get some tests done in hospital so thats another consultant visit, maybe 2 if i need to have a follow up and on this policy there is a €250 excess per admission to hospital.
    If that does happen we will be out of pocket by about €4-500 because of downgrading.

Thats why you always hold onto your health insurance

Advertisement