Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I presume you did a full wipe and such before installing CM9? Delvik and cache wipe and fix permissions too?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Zagato wrote: »
    Thanks, don't see the smartassV2 option for governor?

Not actually using Siyah, just using the CM9 kernel

See below for a screenshot forecasting about 37 hours. This is normal usage for me during the week, actively using it a bit in the evening and before work but otherwise it's just sitting there syncing and on 3G and wifi all day and night. I am using Resurrection Remix ICS and Siyah kernel configured with smartassv2 and sio.

http://s1048.photobucket.com/albums/s361/cmctwit/?action=view&current=Screenshot_2012-07-04-18-24-18.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Cossax wrote: »
    I presume you did a full wipe and such before installing CM9? Delvik and cache wipe and fix permissions too?

I was just updating CM9, I do this every 2nd day or so and does not require a full wipe.

Wiped Dalvik, but I don't have a cache partition no need to wipe (I'm pretty sure that that refers to EXT4 partitions that you may have created)

Anyways, I'm going to have to flash something via Heimdall. I have a rubbish internet connection at home, but did manage to download a version of Resurrection that is Odin flashable before I left college, so I reckon I'll have a go at that.

Oh well, Heimdall doesn't seem to like that file type.

Downloading the latest vodafone firmware at the moment (moment is probably a bad choice of words) for the next hour might be more accurate :(

Should be able to flash that ok, will swap in a rooted kernel, and should be good to go.

If only I could leave well enough alone :rolleyes: ;)

Heimdall didn't want to recognise phone (did I need driver from kies?)

Borrowed a mates PC and used Odin this morning, so much easier.

All sorted now, just wish I had a more recent backup :o

• Advertisement

Zagato wrote: »
    Heimdall didn't want to recognise phone (did I need driver from kies?)

Borrowed a mates PC and used Odin this morning, so much easier.

All sorted now, just wish I had a more recent backup :o

Has anyone tried limiting the background processes in the developer settings?

After the full wipe, stripped apps down to minimum, no real difference in battery. Then got rid of Facebook, and suddenly Android OS down from 50% to 21%; over 5 hrs since unplugged and 87% now

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

well i briked my phone yesterday just updating the Resurrection Remix from 2.5.2 to 2.5.3. the updater was telling me for days about the update. so i was trying to download the file as usual and use Rom manager to install it as usual. its was failing to download for days until yesterday when i seemed to manage to get it. so, i click update and wasnt looking at my phone for a few minutes, the screen was black, no reboot screen, literally dead. so...i took ou the battery...waited, turned it back on and nothing... dead as a doornail. then, the screen of death. bsod.jpg

so, not to panik, i put in it download mode, which worked as i put in the usb cable, bingbong, computer detected device anyway, tried odin, one rom failed, and then it wouldnt connect to it at all. death. no connection, phone fukt. usb jig anyone? had seen about these being used to reset the counter and wondered if it wud help me? usbjig.jpg

a bit of soldering and hey presto, popped this in to it, didnt do what i thought it would but when i connected it via usb to my lappy, and clicked odin it worked. so i downloaded the stock rom and flashed that. nervous time, it took ages but eventually rebooted!!! WIN!!!! :D phone back working. then rooted it and flashed my original version RR2.5.2. what a day!!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Thanks for the write up, hope I never need it :-)

yeah, i would nt want to got hrough it all again, took well over 6 hours to sort id reckon! but, I do now realise that these phones are pretty much unbreakable! apart from general setup of the homescreen and personalised settings, its the same as it was before the crash! think ill do a full backup now just for future sake! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I have a purchased USB jig and its saved me once or twice now so it's already covered the cheap price it cost. I think your mistake there is using ROM Manager. I've read so many threads where it has caused a phone to go tits up. Stick with the built in updater in the ROM itself or else use CWM.

for sure, i will not be using it anymore. maybe it choose rom manager as default or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Did a no-wipe to CheckRom from stock this morning. Not noticed many huge differences other than the notification menu brightness slider from the latest Samsung firmware. I also installed the camera mod.

Is there a kernel worth flashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Did a no-wipe to CheckRom from stock this morning. Not noticed many huge differences other than the notification menu brightness slider from the latest Samsung firmware. I also installed the camera mod.

Is there a kernel worth flashing?

Give Siyah a go, it allows you to dual-boot 2 different ICS roms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sorry, posted in the wrong thread, thought this was the SGS3 thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi lads,

Heading on holiday on Wednesday so updated to Resurrection Remix 2.6 (with Siyah Kernel v3.3.3c) but have a few questions I hope my fellow S2 Modders here can help me with:-

1. Battery - It's been unplugged from a full charge for exactly an hour during which time I used it for 35 minutes (screen on either surfing news sites or tweaking menu setups) and it's already dropped to 90%. I know I need to give it a day or two to 'settle' in but a 10% drop so quickly is a bit of a concern given I'll be travelling a lot over the next two weeks. I'd really appreciate any good battery management tips to maximise the time I get out of it.

2. Black Gmail - Gmail is now displaying with white type on a black background - horrible. Any suggestions on how I can get the generic black type on a white background back?

3. Google Maps - I previously had an option in "Labs" to insert a navigation button to the left of an address label i.e. once the address was displayed on the map there was a little navigation button attached to the left side of the label which when pressed started car navigation to the address. That option is no longer in Labs. Is it possible RR comes bundled with an old version of Google Maps? It's V6.9.0 (#6090014). At the moment when an address lable is displayed on Google Maps there is a "Directions" label to the left which when pressed brings you to the directions page where there is a "Navigation" option. It's just much slicker to have a direct navigation button.

4. Swype - RR installed V3.26.92D.39062.t0.11011.AllRegion but the voice input option (Dragon speech to text) doesn't work. when pressed it pops up the microphone icon all right but with an "An Error Occurred" message. I tried to download the latest Swype Beta but it fails to download because there is a full version of Swype installed. Should I just uninstall Swype and install the Beta??

5. GSM/3G signal - When I was on RR 2.5.3 with the Fluxi kernel I had strong signal but now I'm only getting one bar in a location I'd normally have 3 or 4. RR 2.6 installed baseband/modem XXLPS. Should I change the kernel back to Fluxi and/or flash a new modem? If so what's the best way to do that in RR?

Lot's to ponder I know but what else is there to do with this poxy weather :rolleyes:

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Probably a ridiculous question but can anyone recommend an ICS ROM that is essentially AOSP/AOKP which specifically has a 'Widget Picker' like interface for widget selection. This was built into CM7 and was excellent - to be honest the pages & pages of widget sizes is really starting to get on my nerves.

Any suggestions?
    squire

squire23 wrote: »
    Probably a ridiculous question but can anyone recommend an ICS ROM that is essentially AOSP/AOKP which specifically has a 'Widget Picker' like interface for widget selection. This was built into CM7 and was excellent - to be honest the pages & pages of widget sizes is really starting to get on my nerves.

Any suggestions?
    squire

Afraid it's unlikely you'll find one, it's one of the main UI changes in ICS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Any of you guys currently recommend any ICS ROM's?

I'm on Litening Rom at the min..... Feel like a change, there are a few glitches with it here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Not gonna wait for a stable JellyBean ROM? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

BopNiblets wrote: »

That sounds even better.

Anyone any news on one coming out anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Ghandee wrote: »
    BopNiblets wrote: »

That sounds even better.

Anyone any news on one coming out anytime soon?
    Only an early alpha port available on xda (not much working) and CM10 is being developed too.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1739763

https://plus.google.com/106978520009932034644/posts/Rd6oZjU7sRV

I'm gonna wait for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I'm running resurection remix 2.6. They've called it "jellybean edition" but it's still ICS. What JellyBean elements have they ported into it, does anyone know?

Also, Chrome, browser and stumbleupon apps (basically web browsing) causes the phone to get really hot and sucks life out of the battery. Surely they're not processor heavy apps? Any ideas...change modem maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Currently running CheckROM V4 (with DarkKnight 2.5), but thinking it's time to move to an ICS rom. I take it resurection remix seems to be the best? Looking for stability more than anything really.

And is it as straightforward as downloading the ROM, wiping the phone and flashing it from recovery? Can't remember what I did for CheckROM, though I know I didn't wipe first (it was described as a no-wipe ROM). Out of practice since I moved on from the Hero...

CM9 RC2 came out yesterday and if the nightlies are anything to go by, it should be very stable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

Just rooted and flashed cm9 there and liking the look so far, anyone any app recommendations?

ICS Mixer theme is good

You might also like to get the free version of the lite fm radio app SpiritFM

There's an alpha version of XBMC if you're interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

Had xbmc before I installed cm9, didn't try it out fully though, possible to install the icefilms and navix plugins for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

You can install evrything for it...

Im no longer modding mine. Adter too many stability issues, ive gone back to stock and rooted. Seems to do everything i need at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

What would ye recommend as the most stable everything works ROM?

Advertisement