Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

massy086 wrote: »
    Anyone ever wipe there imei while flashing a Rom im getting baseband unknown and no imei

Did you have an efs backup. They store those details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

massy086 wrote: »
    Anyone ever wipe there imei while flashing a Rom im getting baseband unknown and no imei

Did you have an efs backup. They store those details.
    Nah dont think there is a efs back up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Are you sure I have a few one set I made myself and some kernels made automatically. I think it was siyah kernel that makes an automatic backup and maybe others as well. So if you flashed a siyah kernel maybe you have one. And I'm not 100% sure but I think some ROM's do as well when you flash them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Well, I managed to get my phone stuck in a boot loop editing the /system/build.prop file (to remove the camera shutter sound)

Ye be warned! :(

I'm going to try and pull the file through QuickADB and edit the file, then push it back to the phone and try to reboot.
    Does anyone have a USB cable in the Celbridge area I can borrow, I left mine in work! :p
    (Half-joking, I'm off tomorrow for a wedding but I may have to trudge in anyway to rescue my phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Well, I managed to get my phone stuck in a boot loop editing the /system/build.prop file (to remove the camera shutter sound)
    Managed this about a week ago as well. Wasn't doing anything quite as adventurous as you though. Flashed stock Samsung ROM after CM9 was giving terrible battery life. Managed to get it into recovery mode, did a factory reset and all was good again. Unfortunately Samsung ROM's are awful. Like just not good. Changed the launcher and all and it just wasn't nice. Back on CM9 again though and the battery life is grand. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i hate navigating xda, its just so slow.
    could someone recommend a rom for me?
    i havent changed anything in a long time so im not even sure what to download or if there any funny steps

currently on checkrom v4
    siyah 2.6.35.14 (it appears)
    baseband XXXKI4

i would like to change to an ICS rom with mostly just google features and no touchwiz and minimal system apps
    as many features as possible working (ie camera, button lights, vibration, fm, - all seem broken in lots of roms)
    BLN support
    supports call recording
    supports quicksettings on the status / notification bar
    support for themes
    easy upgrade process to next version

so, eternal gratitude for someone who can help me find this. regualr gratitude for anyone who can help me understand the latest developments etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

subway wrote: »
    i hate navigating xda, its just so slow.
    could someone recommend a rom for me?
    i havent changed anything in a long time so im not even sure what to download or if there any funny steps

currently on checkrom v4
    siyah 2.6.35.14 (it appears)
    baseband XXXKI4

i would like to change to an ICS rom with mostly just google features and no touchwiz and minimal system apps
    as many features as possible working (ie camera, button lights, vibration, fm, - all seem broken in lots of roms)
    BLN support
    supports call recording
    supports quicksettings on the status / notification bar
    support for themes
    easy upgrade process to next version

so, eternal gratitude for someone who can help me find this. regualr gratitude for anyone who can help me understand the latest developments etc :)

I will suggest d4 from I'm on it now a few weeks seems great and stable for me, what I'd suggest is download xwlp7 mrom samobile , get cf root kernal then download mobile Odin from play store , extract lp7 and flash , then download d4 and flash in cwm that. Should be perfect . Enjoy

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Managed this about a week ago as well. Wasn't doing anything quite as adventurous as you though. Flashed stock Samsung ROM after CM9 was giving terrible battery life. Managed to get it into recovery mode, did a factory reset and all was good again. Unfortunately Samsung ROM's are awful. Like just not good. Changed the launcher and all and it just wasn't nice. Back on CM9 again though and the battery life is grand. :)
    I've since re-flashed Pure ICS 7.3, but I had to buy a microSD card adapter and put the ROM on it, strangely enough my Linux laptop opened the SD card in read only mode (read-only was also why I couldn't ADB push it) but luckily my work Windows laptop let me put the ROM on it, annoying inconvenience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Anyone here had a no baseband, imei and stuck in flight mode problem? I've gone through couple of methods now, none of them are working. I don't know what actually had happened to the phone before it got the efs corrupted? Would an efs from a working phone mend the problem? Or what else would you recommend to fix it up? Thanks!

padyjoe wrote: »
    Anyone here had a no baseband, imei and stuck in flight mode problem? I've gone through couple of methods now, none of them are working. I don't know what actually had happened to the phone before it got the efs corrupted? Would an efs from a working phone mend the problem? Or what else would you recommend to fix it up? Thanks!

Unfortunately if your imei is gone and u have no efs backup your kinda screwed. :/ there specific to each phone so my backups won't work for you , but I do know a user on xda called odia,
    hes helped many people do the impossible , give him a shout hopefully he's feeling nice and will direct you through it .
    Hope this helped .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenagoolie

Anyone getting issues with Wi-Fi looping connections on I9100XWLP7 Samsung ICS (from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1544487)

Sometimes the device connects within 1 or 2 seconds to the Wifi, other times can loop around (connect/fail/retry) for minutes(up to 10).
    Anyone else come across this, didn't see it pre-ICS.

I've turned off the QOS service on the router in case it was causing the problems but still sporadic.

Thanks
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Have you tried an app called GS2 Repair?

Thanks for your inputs lads! Yes I tried GSII repair, tried another methods, edited nv_data.bin. Nothing! One last question: do I have to reset the download counter before it's sent to Samsung? Where could I get an usb jig quickly? Cheers!

Thanks for your inputs lads! Yes I tried GSII repair, tried another methods, edited nv_data.bin. Nothing! One last question: do I have to reset the download counter before it's sent to Samsung? Where could I get an usb jig quickly? Cheers!

It would be best if u did, there's an app on the playstore called triangle away, that will reset the counter u can get it on xda for free , it only works on ics roms I think

Flashed Meteor ICS, Triangle Away, counter is zero now. All I have to do now is unroot it, delete the things which not suppose to be there, flash stock kernel with and send her back for repair. Must be a damaged circuit board. Thank you to all! Happy now, but feel sorry that wasn't able to fix it for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I upgraded from Resurrection Remix v1.4 to v1.8.1 today and all appears hunky dory with the exception of Gmail which is now white text on a black background :eek:

I really can't stand it so tried but failed to change it back to black text on a white background. Any suggestions?

Could it be a theme of some sort? Where do I find the theme settings? Themes aren't my thing!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Hey folks, I just got a Galaxy S2 (on gingerbread) and I'm trying to flash it, i'm on a mac though and dont have access to a pc and heimdall wouldnt detect my phone so i've been trying to follow bits from multiple walkthroughs!

so i've got root access as far as i can tell (have the superuser app and I can give apps root permissions) and I installed ROM Manager. Through RM I flashed Clockwork Mod Recovery but when I go to do a backup or boot into recovery i get Android System Recovery (3e) with a failed installation with the the error:

E:failed to seek in /cache/update.zip (Invalid argument)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

My only options are to reboot, apply update from SD and either wipe the data or cache partition.

Any ideas what's wrong here?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I have a Galaxy S2 -locked to Emobile but running on Meteor. I am on the 30day data for 9.99. Not using it much but was surprised to see 700mb used in 12days.
    I had the data on all the time so I presume the operator instlled apps (bloatware) are taking down data. There is stuff like boards.ie, deals.ie. averts.ie daft.ie etc on it. I now turn off packet data unless required but that kind of defeats the purpose of my having a smartphone to receive email automatically, etc.
    I have turned the non wanted apps off but cannot delete them. I searched this thread and it says install an app 'titaniumdata' or something like that but that was related to a flashed or rooted phone.
    Is there a way of doing removing apps without flasing /rooting the phone? Would rooting it remove the operator lock? What are the up/down sides of flashing/rooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I have a Galaxy S2 -locked to Emobile but running on Meteor. I am on the 30day data for 9.99. Not using it much but was surprised to see 700mb used in 12days.
    I had the data on all the time so I presume the operator instlled apps (bloatware) are taking down data. There is stuff like boards.ie, deals.ie. averts.ie daft.ie etc on it. I now turn off packet data unless required but that kind of defeats the purpose of my having a smartphone to receive email automatically, etc.
    I have turned the non wanted apps off but cannot delete them. I searched this thread and it says install an app 'titaniumdata' or something like that but that was related to a flashed or rooted phone.
    Is there a way of doing removing apps without flasing /rooting the phone? Would rooting it remove the operator lock? What are the up/down sides of flashing/rooting

There is no downsides to rooting your phone. Rooting only gives you write access to system apps. Bloatware apps are usually in the system folder of the phone so you can't delete them. It is really easy to root and download an app called root explorer which will allow you to go into your /system/app folder, you mount R/W (press bottom at top right hand corner of app) and just delete the crapware.

Instructions how to root are here

Anyone finding a weird thing with Dolphin browser where it loads a page but it's scrolled down and blank/white until you scroll back up again and the page loads?
    It may not be an ICS issue but I've only noticed it since I put Pure ICS on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Anyone finding a weird thing with Dolphin browser where it loads a page but it's scrolled down and blank/white until you scroll back up again and the page loads?
    It may not be an ICS issue but I've only noticed it since I put Pure ICS on.

Yeah that used to happen to me too, often on boards actually; use Chrome now and find it pretty good. Like the way I can pick up where I left off on my laptop.

I think it may have something to do with clicking links to anchor tags that are further down the page, like if you click on the latest post links on boards... hmm.

Yeah, from touch.boards.ie I just clicked a link to the "What have you watched recently?" thread in Films and it loaded about 3/4 down the page but blank...
    I went back and clicked it again and it brought me to the last post I hadn't read... annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

I upgraded from Resurrection Remix v1.4 to v1.8.1 today and all appears hunky dory with the exception of Gmail which is now white text on a black background :eek:

I really can't stand it so tried but failed to change it back to black text on a white background. Any suggestions?

Could it be a theme of some sort? Where do I find the theme settings? Themes aren't my thing!

Ben

There's a link on the RR thread to Default Theme Apps (download link) that should change everything back to normal - not a fan of the Pitch Black edition myself. It will also allow you to update Google Plus again and Polaris Office is included too.

I'll say I'll be going back to GB again specifically CheckRom. I've convinced now there's no good ICS Rom yet, either they're buggy or battery life sucks. I used to get 30 hrs on CheckRom. I'm down to 19% now after 8 hours with resurrection remix 1.8.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

AntiRip wrote: »
    I'll say I'll be going back to GB again specifically CheckRom. I've convinced now there's no good ICS Rom yet, either they're buggy or battery life sucks. I used to get 30 hrs on CheckRom. I'm down to 19% now after 8 hours with resurrection remix 1.8.1.

I get about 45-50 hours on a full charge on Resurrection Remix 1.8.1 with Siyah 3.2.1, with data, wireless and GPS always turned on, syncing always on in the background with Gmail, FB etc., dunno why you're getting such poor battery life.

Cossax wrote: »
    I get about 45-50 hours on a full charge on Resurrection Remix 1.8.1 with Siyah 3.2.1, with data, wireless and GPS always turned on, syncing always on in the background with Gmail, FB etc., dunno why you're getting such poor battery life.

Jesus I've never gotten that much battery life ever on any rom. I'm back on GB now and don't even know the difference having go launcher on both. Battery widget saying I've have 37 hours left on battery so well see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

yes I agree, CheckRom is still the best for me

don't think I will try any more ICS roms until a few more release revisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Tell you what guys, Omega v5.1 - xxlpq is a great ICS rom. Solid as a rock and i can go from Friday 5pm to Monday morning using the phone often over the weekend before a charge.

Never crashed once and quick as you like....

just a thought

Decided to go with CM9 nightly + siyah + Mixer ISC theme.

- Underclock to 25 MHz + undervolt - estimated standby time up to 100h on original battery.
    - Stable as rock
    - LED notification just works
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78725429&postcount=3770

First time I've been really happy with ICS so far. It's still at 80% since this morning. It's mostly on 25Mhz on standby. Highly recommended, thanks to PrzemoF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Decided to go with CM9 nightly + siyah + Mixer ISC theme.

- Underclock to 25 MHz + undervolt - estimated standby time up to 100h on original battery.
    - Stable as rock
    - LED notification just works
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78725429&postcount=3770

First time I've been really happy with ICS so far. It's still at 80% since this morning. It's mostly on 25Mhz on standby. Highly recommended, thanks to PrzemoF

Thanks for the update. How easy is it to Underclock + Undervolt? Is it just a question of installing an app and changing settings or is it more complicated than that?

Does underclocking and undervolting have any impact on background syncing? I assume when the phone needs to sync or you unlock it the app which keeps it underclocked and undervolted releases the restriction and enables you to operate at clock speed and voltage etc until it goes back to sleep?

Is there any chance (or reports) of damaging the processor or any other part of the phone by employing this setup?

Cheers,

Ben

Advertisement