Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Down Oklahoma way, the Republican-dominated house introduced a bill which supports the aims of a group called "Personhood USA" which is pushing for fertilized eggs to be granted the same rights as fully-grown humans.

So a democratic lawmaker trolls by adding an amendment which outlaws masturbation, unless the man manages to deliver his little fellas into a woman's naughty bits.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/02/08/thou-shalt-not-spill-thy-seed-anti-masturbation-amendment-added-to-anti-abortion-bill/

But the weird thing is that (former, current?) Tea Party darling, Christine O'Donnell actually has campaigned in the past against masturbation:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/09/christine-odonnells-1996-anti-masturbation-campaign-on-mtvs-sex-in-the-90s.php

Odd for a bunch of w*nkers to try to outlaw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gonna be a lot of big blue balls in the United states...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Santorum says Obama has put America on the path of executing religious people by decapitation.
    SANTORUM: They are taking faith and crushing it. Why? Why? When you marginalize faith in America, when you remove the pillar of God-given rights, then what’s left is the French Revolution. What’s left is the government that gives you right, what’s left are no unalienable rights, what’s left is a government that will tell you who you are, what you’ll do and when you’ll do it. What’s left in France became the guillotine. Ladies and gentlemen, we’re a long way from that, but if we do and follow the path of President Obama and his overt hostility to faith in America, then we are headed down that road.
    http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/02/09/421882/santorum-obama-has-put-america-on-the-path-of-executing-religious-people-by-decapitation/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Where do you even start with tackling the amount of stupid in that statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Sarky wrote: »
    Where do you even start with tackling the amount of stupid in that statement?

Primary school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Didn't Rick just win 3 primaries in a row?
    Brings to mind the old saying, "It's not enough if I get all the smart people to vote for me... I need a majority!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Primary school.

Evolution and creationism are just two theories. Like man made global warming. For which there is no scientific consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Memnoch wrote: »
    Evolution and creationism are just two theories. Like man made global warming. For which there is no scientific consensus.

No matter how much I refresh the page, the smilies don't appear, is there something wrong with my internet?

There's plenty of scientific consensus on both issues, above 99% for professional biologists concerning evolution and above 95% for professional climatologists concerning global warming.

There is, of course, an opposing consensus amongst the powerful, rich backers of organizations which benefit financially or politically from deceitfully claiming that there is no scientific consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Not_Sure_if_Serious_meme.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Sure we should just teach alchemy and chemistry along side each other

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Or gravity and Intelligent falling in physics.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭eire4

How about the idiot below who thought an Onion News article was real and posted it on his facebook account. I mean this is beyond stupid.

diggredditstumble

We can't make this stuff up.
    John Fleming, a GOP congressman from Louisiana, fell for a months-old joke on Monday when he cited an article from The Onion as a real news source.
    Fleming shared a link on Facebook to an article from the satirical newspaper headlined "Planned Parenthood Opens $8 Billion Abortionplex."
    "More on Planned Parenthood, abortion by the wholesale," he wrote.
    The GOP congressman isn't the first to fall victim to an Onion joke. When the abortion piece was first published last year, hordes of angry Facebook users took the article at face value. In 2002, a Chinese newspaper infamously republished an Onion story about Congress demanding a new Capitol building with a retractable dome.
    Fleming has since removed the post from his Facebook page, but the Daily What posted a screenshot, courtesy of Literally Unbelievable.
    The Louisiana Republican is a vocal opponent of abortion and Planned Parenthood. As the Hill points out, Fleming voted to prohibit federal funding of Planned Parenthood and has called legal abortion "a perversion of law."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I fcuking love The Onion. They have a TV programme as well.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Generally, the US population is quite ignorant. They've essentially been brainwashed. So, what might seem ludicrous to us is reasonable to them.

It's like trying to use a logical argument with a theist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Liamario wrote: »
    Somewhat harsh. Most "theists" use logic in the same way as non-believers except when it comes to one particular question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Dades wrote: »
    Somewhat harsh. Most "theists" use logic in the same way as non-believers except when it comes to one particular question.

Just to clarify. It's like trying to win a religious argument with a theist using logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Liamario wrote: »
    Generally, the US population is quite ignorant. They've essentially been brainwashed. So, what might seem ludicrous to us is reasonable to them.

If you're using the quality of the people running for office as the evidence for that statement, then really, no one Irish is in a position to throw stones.

Santorum says that Obama is leading christians to the guillotine:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/02/09/santorum-obama-leading-christians-to-the-guillotine/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Santorum is a nutjob and it freaks me out at the thought of that guy getting anywhere near the White House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

How can Obama not win this? Seriously, I know there are a hell of a lot of crazy religious folks who will agree with people like Romney and Santorum, but surely not over half the voting population. Surely America hasn't gotten that bad yet? And if it has, I think Iran should be allowed to have nuclear weapons. We may need them to defend us against America

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Santorum is a nutjob [...]
    Just have a giggle every time you hear a news outlet talks about a "Santorum surge".

As of a few minutes ago, google returns 62,000,000 hits for the phrase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

robindch wrote: »
    Just have a giggle every time you hear a news outlet talks about a "Santorum surge".

As of a few minutes ago, google returns 62,000,000 hits for the phrase :)

I'm glad that someone noticed this too.
    Are they doing it on purpose I wonder?

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbfluphFMxA&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

No matter how much I refresh the page, the smilies don't appear, is there something wrong with my internet?

I would have thought that considering what I was saying, the sarcasm would have been obvious. I guess deadpan just doesn't work as well online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Speaking from an atheist point of view, a libertarian president would frighten me much more than any moderate Christian one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Speaking from an atheist point of view, a libertarian president would frighten me much more than any moderate Christian one.

How so?

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Liekwise. Bad and all as it's likely to be, at least one can predict fairly accurately what a christian might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I disagree. It's not like the President has complete control over everything, or would change everything to suit their own beliefs. Obama is a Christian, yet he's doing things which would be considered to be fairly non-Christian. A libertarian who became President wouldn't suddenly change everything because Congress, the Senate and the whole population could turn against him.

Whether they're Christian/Libertarian or whatever, they should be judged on their own merits and not by their religion.

It's just coincidence that all the Republican Christian Presidential nominees in this instance are whackjobs

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Whether they're Christian/Libertarian or whatever, they should be judged on their own merits and not by their religion.
    The issue for me is that libertarians, like christians and other ideaologues, tend to assert policies which are non-negotiable and politics is nothing, if not the art of wide-scale negotiation.

Advertisement