Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do executions occur in pubs?

Options
2

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia


    If i was going to kill someone in a manner that would send a message i'd probably do it in a pub for a couple of reasons.

    1) Access to the pub - obviously it would have decent routes to and from, probably multiple options for where i would need to go after wards.

    2) You can very easily have an involved party in the pub having a few beers and waiting for them to show up. The person can watch and let you know the person is there, has just gone for a piss and ordered a pint and is unlikely to have moved during the time it takes me to get from my vehicle to the pub.

    3) They are in a pub, so they are feeling relaxed. Let them get a few drinks in so they are feeling even more relaxed. Add in that alcohol is a vasodilator and any non instantly fatal wounds will probably lead to them bleeding out a bit quicker.

    4) Any possible witnesses are drinking, so they can be shredded by my defense in court should I end up getting charged with it.

    5) Also on the defense front - it's far easier to explain why you were near a busy pub than near someone's gaff should you be seen and recognised.

    6) From a certain point of view, killing people in such a public manner would enforce a certain element of "**** you"idness to other criminals, the law and society at large. It basically states that you do what you like, when you like...because you can. If i was a murderous criminal i could see the appeal in this.

    It's only possible because of the the lack of guns in society and unarmed police force. I doubt it is a popular method in the US for example, easy to get trapped or erupt in a full on gunfight.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr


    I'd imagine if you read through garda witness statements it's because the patrons of an irish pub will always be in the jacks or looking at the telly for the duration of a gangland hit

    "Was he shot? jaysus I did'nt notice a thing guard"


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee


    The victim is less likely to be moving in a pub, giving the assailants an easy target and plenty of time to take aim. :cool:

    I disagree with the use of the word "executions" in the OP. As much as one might disagree with capital punishment, executions are at least legally sanctioned killings in some jurisdictions.:)

    There is only one correct term for this kind of killing in Ireland: murder - and that's what we should call it.:rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug


    grenache wrote: »
    My question is, when is Dublin going to rightfully earn the title of "Gun City"? It took two knife murders in a month for Limerick to earn the moniker of Stab City, yet there's an execution in Dublin every bloody week. God forbid the national media might actually pick on our capital city.


    First heard Limerick called Stab City in 1982, and the Limerick Lady what told me, said it was called that when she was a child in the sixties.


    So not a media conspiracy just what the natives call it .


  • Posts: 23,339 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    If i was going to kill someone in a manner that would send a message i'd probably do it in a pub for a couple of reasons............................. If i was a murderous criminal i could see the appeal in this.

    If you were a murderous criminal you'd just hire a hitman or have one of your staff do it ;)


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie


    I would imagine its something as easily explained as the following:

    Hitman hirer
    'I want Wacker wacked'

    Hitman
    'No worries, where and when?'

    Hitman hirer
    'him and his cronies go to X pub every night'

    Hitman
    'Sorted'


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly


    grenache wrote: »
    My question is, when is Dublin going to rightfully earn the title of "Gun City"? It took two knife murders in a month for Limerick to earn the moniker of Stab City, yet there's an execution in Dublin every bloody week. God forbid the national media might actually pick on our capital city.

    Eh Paul Williams et al are shytin on about the gangland murders in Dublin at every opportunity! The General wasn't actually a General, they are just names to whack on the front of the newspapers. Journalists these days must not have thought of a cool name for Dublin like "Gun City". Maybe you should send it to the Sunday Wertild, they might use it.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich


    People have habbits that are often repeated without actually thinking of doing them. Tend to leave for work around the same time, get home around the same time, take the same route in and out. Go out to the same pubs / shops around the same times. How they walk, sit at tables.

    It's simply a matter of determining when is their most vulnerable timeframe. A Pub just seems to be a common place that's vulnerable for these.

    Drav's top tip:
    I've yer a scummer and heavily involved in criminal activity, do yerself a favor and don't go to the pub.


  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko


    Most people would think the killings are gang related but it's just one ex-alcoholic hitman roaming the country aimlessly killing strangers in pubs.

    It could happen to anyone, anywhere...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland


    One of the main reasons why that sort of people murder people in pubs is the fact that people are coming and going all night,also the unfortunate person will be seated & slightly relaxed,hence when or if you go into a kinda rough pub everyone looks at you & seeing what your at. Also as a lot of pubs are on main thoroughfares which can make good escape routes.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik


    A lot of people get their shots in a pub.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland


    biko wrote: »
    Most people would think the killings are gang related but it's just one ex-alcoholic hitman roaming the country aimlessly killing strangers in pubs.

    It could happen to anyone, anywhere...



    :p Another reason to stop drinking, the dreaded AA hitman :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus


    maninasia wrote: »
    It's only possible because of the the lack of guns in society and unarmed police force. I doubt it is a popular method in the US for example, easy to get trapped or erupt in a full on gunfight.
    I actually don't think it's anything to do with that. I think it's because there's less of a bar culture in the US. If movies like Goodfellas and Friday have taught us anything, it's that gang members spend the bulk of their time drinking on the side of the street and/or driving around in their cars. Hence why they all get shot coming out of a building to their car, or while stopped at lights.

    A bar in the US would likely be considered very exposed. But here, the scumbag is usually surrounded by criminal associates and so probably feels somewhat protected.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3


    Do people in the bars cheer during the shootings?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom


    Zero chance of the guards being in the pub.

    Certainly the pubs that are usually the sites of these shootings.

    Is the Faussaugh House in Cabra the most hit?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland


    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Do people in the bars cheer during the shootings?



    :confused: I wouldn't be thinking so, It would not be a good idea to be bringing attention to yourself when there is a person near you with a gun and what would anyone be cheering about, In most cases a human being has just been killed, not a pretty sight.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82


    Regarding the shooting at the weekend. Didn't the hitman actually come into the bar an hour earlier brandishing a shotgun and a 9mm.

    I drove by the pub about 30 minutes after the shooting and there was a huge crowd outside (patrons from the pub).

    So this begs the question, why in your right mind would you continue to drink on in a pub where some nut has just made a Rambo style appearance?

    Whether I was the target or not.....I would've been leggin it!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland


    I presume most people did not think the gunmen would come back.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom


    Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Regarding the shooting at the weekend. Didn't the hitman actually come into the bar an hour earlier brandishing a shotgun and a 9mm.

    I drove by the pub about 30 minutes after the shooting and there was a huge crowd outside (patrons from the pub).

    So this begs the question, why in your right mind would you continue to drink on in a pub where some nut has just made a Rambo style appearance?

    Whether I was the target or not.....I would've been leggin it!

    They know who's getting hit. These internecine turf wars are open secrets in the areas they occur. There's no cloak and dagger stuff about it. The lads went in looking for yer man, he wasn't there, they left patrons just carried on. I'd say the craic was good when the victim eventually turned up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82


    realies wrote: »
    I presume most people did not think the gunmen would come back.

    :confused: I don't care if he's not coming back. A guy just produced a gun in a pub. Why would you stay?!? The drink??......Sadly, that's probably the reason most people did stay.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland


    They know who's getting hit. These internecine turf wars are open secrets in the areas they occur. There's no cloak and dagger stuff about it. The lads went in looking for yer man, he wasn't there, they left patrons just carried on. I'd say the craic was good when the victim eventually turned up.


    Your coming across here as if its a game of football, people are getting murdered in public bars,its no joke.:mad:
    The unfortunate victim was not seen the first time the gunman came in and i can guarantee you there was no craic when it happened.:(


  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface


    Gangland hits occur in pubs because it's both predictable (i.e. the target will be there for some time) and yet uncontrollable by the target (he can't know everybody there so he doesn't know who's watching him or bearing down on him). As another poster said, the alternative would be the target's own home where they might have weapons, escape routes, lockable doors etc. So a pub they frequent regularly seems a logical choice.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland


    :confused: I don't care if he's not coming back. A guy just produced a gun in a pub. Why would you stay?!? The drink??......Sadly, that's probably the reason most people did stay.


    You answered your own question .


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom


    realies wrote: »
    Your coming across here as if its a game of football, people are getting murdered in public bars,its no joke.:mad:
    The unfortunate victim was not seen the first time the gunman came in and i can guarantee you there was no craic when it happened.:(

    Life is cheap in Dublin. I didn't make it that way. Why have a go at me? Yer man is yet another dead scrote who made all the wrong choices in life. How bad do you want me to feel for him?

    Come back to me when some poor unfortunate bystander gets it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland


    Life is cheap in Dublin. I didn't make it that way. Why have a go at me? Yer man is yet another dead scrote who made all the wrong choices in life. How bad do you want me to feel for him?

    Come back to me when some poor unfortunate bystander gets it.



    Some unfortunate bystanders have already gotten it, How do you know who the victim is ? do you think its alright for 22 year olds to be shot dead in pubs for any reason and that its a bit of craic.

    Ps life is cheap anywhere in this country not just Dublin.


  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01


    Because they are like vampires and only come out at night...


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom


    realies wrote: »
    Some unfortunate bystanders have already gotten it, How do you know who the victim is ? do you think its alright for 22 year olds to be shot dead in pubs for any reason and that its a bit of craic.

    Age is irrelevant if you're a drug dealing scumbag. That young fella was up to his neck in a drug feud.


    Also try not misquoting me or taking my posts out of context just so you can build up your store of righteous indignation.

    Where did I say that the murder was a bit of craic? Please repost it here, verbatim.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom


    realies wrote: »
    Some unfortunate bystanders have already gotten it, How do you know who the victim is ? do you think its alright for 22 year olds to be shot dead in pubs for any reason and that its a bit of craic.

    Ps life is cheap anywhere in this country not just Dublin.


    That is bull****. Utter bull****. Just walk around this city and see the human flotsam and jetsam being left to die on the streets. Just look at the murders and assaults over nothing in Dublin. Life is cheap as chips here.

    Disprove this post, please.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill


    Best place to have a pint after a hit is the pub!

    2 in 1!


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse


    Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I disagree with the use of the word "executions" in the OP. As much as one might disagree with capital punishment, executions are at least legally sanctioned killings in some jurisdictions.:)

    capital punishment is state sanctioned execution and wasnt mentioned in the OP.There's plenty of other type's of executions,like a gangland execution which i presume is what the OP is refering to.

    not too sure why you used the rolly eyes of scorn though.

    dont think it matters much to where they do the hit.Think it's more to do with opportunity more than anything else


Advertisement