Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nate Marquardt released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Something contagious through blood/fluids? Hepatitis B?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

ESPN:
    “It wasn’t PEDs, and it wasn’t a diuretic, it wasn’t anything illegal,” the source said. “It was a medical issue that the Pennsylvania Athletic Commission didn’t like and that we informed the UFC about as of Monday.”

Before this was announce Dave Meltzer said that Brennanman was told to say at weight earlier this week.

Whatever it is UFC seems to be media managing it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Was that Charlie Brenneman in the red who went into the sauna while Nate was in there. I'm not trying play with hunt and it is obviously very difficult to comment with limited information but that seemed kinda strange for me that he was able to make weight so easily. I know he was supposed to have a fight but it was cancelled at the begining of the week. Also Nate wouldn't be a huge man for his media videos, do you think he knew he would fail the medical and wanted to get his side of the story across?

Greg Sirb, Executive Director of Penn. Athletic Commission;

"Nate failed the medical requirements for the fight and was placed on suspension by the PA commission until he provide a medical report showing that he's satisfied those requirements. He was given every oppurtunity to meet the requirements up until 3pm Saturday. The Athletic commission is not free to disclose what requirements he failed to meet."

Looks like we're going to have to wait for Nate to tell us...

Ariel Helwani;

"The suspension is indefinite. As soon as he can provide what they are looking for, he will not be suspended anymore."

Maybe he refused to supply them with something. Blood or urine sample?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

seadnamac wrote: »
    Ariel Helwani;

"The suspension is indefinite. As soon as he can provide what they are looking for, he will not be suspended anymore."

Maybe he refused to supply them with something. Blood or urine sample?

Could be looking for a sense of humour, if that's the case then Nate is well and truly fcuked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Anyone got a link to Versus to watch the pre-show online? Dana is on it and will hopefully talk a little more about it.

Just got this through on twitter

DrJCBenjamin Dr. Johnny Benjamin
    by mmawarehouse
    UFC Nate Marquardt got suspended. I reviewed the PA medical forms. Most likely cause for the suspension is...Refusal to take drug test!!

Sounds about right, if commission are saying as soon as he can provide what they're looking for he will not be suspended anymore then it points to a refusal for drugs test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Xlami wrote: »
    Also Nate wouldn't be a huge man for his media videos, do you think he knew he would fail the medical and wanted to get his side of the story across?
    Nate has know about the requirements for a while, so he was probably aware that he wasn't going to meet them.
    My guess is that dana was pissed that he knew he wasn't going to make them and didn't tell people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

According to Marquardts twitter he will release the info on Tuesday. Rogan explained that PSAC is among the strictest for giving out information so it would be up to Nate and Nate only if he wants anyone to know what happened.

scooby2791 wrote: »
    According to Marquardts twitter he will release the info on Tuesday. Rogan explained that PSAC is among the strictest for giving out information so it would be up to Nate and Nate only if he wants anyone to know what happened.
    It's a medical issue so it would be illegal for the PSAC to give out any info even if they wanted to.

Pulled this from the middle of a story about Brenneman

Brenneman, a Pennsylvania native who fought at Pittsburgh's CONSOL Energy Center, was yanked from the card earlier this week when opponent T.J. Grant fell ill. But there was a glimmer of hope for the "Spaniard," who desperately wanted to fight close to home.

Although details remain murky, UFC officials clearly knew a scheduled headliner between Story and Nate Marquardt was in jeopardy. Just today, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission's Gregory Sirb confirmed that some undisclosed issue with Marquardt raised concerns a full six weeks ago. And though Marquardt assured both commission and UFC officials the matter would be resolved, it wasn't.
    Instead, just prior to Saturday's weigh-ins, Marquardt was pulled from the card and ultimately released by the UFC. Whatever the offense, it incensed White, who said he was "disgusted" by the way Marquardt – a usually model employee – handled the situation.

Linky : http://mmajunkie.com/news/24169/dana-white-charlie-brennemans-ufc-on-versus-4-win-a-true-rocky-story.mma

That's not just a weight cutting issue, it can't be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Whatever he done it must be pretty serious. Fairly strong words from Dana:
    "I think it's pretty clear to the fans and everyone else that I'm disgusted with Nate Marquardt. He's been cut by the UFC and he won't fight for the UFC again. Bottom line: What Nate Marquardt did is bad enough to be cut by the UFC.... He has no business fighting in the UFC.... This is one of those situations where, because of the laws in Pennsylvania, Nate Marquardt is going to have to man up and tell the world why he didn't pass. And when he does, I think everyone will understand why he was cut from the UFC.... I give a lot of guys chances, and a lot of guys make mistakes. Nate Marquardt is one of those guys. So for me to come out and say that Nate Marquardt isn't going to fight in the UFC anymore, it's got to be pretty serious."

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/6/26/2245527/nate-marquardt-official-statement-released-after-ufc-on-versus-4

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Pretty much the latest on the story.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/06/27/pennsylvania-commission-confirms-marquardt-did-not-fail-drug-tes/

It wasn't the weight cut or a failed drug test. It has to be something more serious.

Either way we'll know tomorrow at some point!

I'm going to say it some sort of STD or some sort of infection.
    Not HIV or Hep B or anything, something that could of been cleared up.
    THe fact that he didn't get it sorted it is pretty disrespectful to Story, and why Dana is "disgusted"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Mellor wrote: »
    THe fact that he didn't get it sorted it is pretty disrespectful to Story, and why Dana is "disgusted"

Id guess is that he didn't get his testosterone levels within the threshold to pass a test.

Mellor wrote: »

This is probably the most likely answer I'd say. And maybe he tried to continue on and fight anyway which would've endangered Story and that's why Dana is so disgusted and won't allow him to fight in the UFC again.
    All speculation of course but it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/06/28/the-mma-hour-with-nate-marquardt-in-studio/

^ this link will have live video feed of Marquardt in the studio today making his statment and hopefully answering questions, 6 pm here on our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

the interview still going, speaking very openly. Id suggest anyone interested in the case to watch, its a very good interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Why doesn't Ariel ask "Isn't low testosterone a side effect from steroid use?" :confused:

Sounds like the same thing that was up with Chael Sonnen.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

evil_seed wrote: »
    Why doesn't Ariel ask "Isn't low testosterone a side effect from steroid use?" :confused:

Sounds like the same thing that was up with Chael Sonnen.

Already did, Nate said it could be from an over the counter supplement he took for a few years until he was caught in '05 by the NSAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

Wish somebody would tell Nate to speak into the mic

My immediate, admittedly not very well informed opinion is that it's the same old sh*t. He got caught and is throwing out the usual excuses. Dana was right to send him packing.

I kinda feel sorry for him. He seems to be genuinely sorry and choked up. It could be an act though I suppose.

My opinion is that IF his story is correct then maybe it was a bit of an over-reaction from Dana White.
    Maybe he should've been given a suspension for a period of time and been told that when he returns he'll be subject to more regular testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dean09 wrote: »
    I kinda feel sorry for him. He seems to be genuinely sorry and choked up. It could be an act though I suppose.

My opinion is that IF his story is correct then maybe it was a bit of an over-reaction from Dana White.
    Maybe he should've been given a suspension for a period of time and been told that when he returns he'll be subject to more regular testing.

I don't think Dana let him go because of the treatments or because his tests we so high. I think Dana let him go because the dude had six weeks to just say "Look, it's best if we leave this fight go and you guys get a replacement to fight Story"....instead of hanging in and hoping for the payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

As much as I love Dana and how the UFC my major flaw is the lack of consistency with positive drug testing. I know it's the State Athletic Commissions that carry out the tests; that's not my point. My point would be that once a fighter fails a drug test he should be banned forever. Otherwise it just leaves the door open for guys like Sonnen to appeal. Dana has said in the past that Chael's livlihood had been taken away for 12 months what more do you want him to do? Tbh that's not good enough in my opinion. Chael sits at No. 2 in many of the respective MMA journalists MW rankings, that is bull****. When is the last time he fought clean? Once a fighter tests positive it completely discredits his previous achievements.

I'm sorry I've used Chael as an example, and I know I may get responses protesting his innocence but I can't believe Dana has fired Marquart for the same reason just because he went about it differently. When Adrian Mutu tested positive for drugs (admittedly they were recreational) Chelsea fired him straight away. If the UFC took a zero tolerance policy I don't think fighters would act like Nate has done and try get away with as much. It just really irritates me and makes the sport look very amatuer. Like look at Thiago Silva, he tried to get away with supplying a fake urine sample. When I hear things like that it immediately destroys all credability a fighter has and it doesn't make me excited to see him fight again even after a twelve month suspension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Xlami wrote: »
    Once a fighter tests positive it completely discredits his previous achievements.

V.harsh especially if a fighter have tested cleanly for his previous fights.

Poor example IMO using Mutu/Chelsea as a comparison considering Mutu was taking cocaine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

i know to some it may be harsh but why aren't all drugs just given a zero tolerance? i know some may make an argument against recreational or non PEDS but don't they still change a persons state of mind? especially say someone about to face say anderson silva & going "oh ****" & then taking something to mellow out? not saying i see this as the way forward but unless there is someway of bring all the state atlethic commisions together in the us to agree on a 'unified rules' for them or perhaps implementing a 30/60 day out base test & then closer to comp date test, i don't see how there is anyway of trying to clean up the sport & in many ways mma is almost becoming a new tour de france farce

Advertisement