Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a tough life for a man...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Feeona wrote: »
    As for his professional prospects, he's been asked by principals in other schools to come work for them due to the time and effort he puts into training football teams.
    Thats good to hear! Hopefully its a sign that the runaway paranoia is starting to correct itself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Tbh, If I had a child and I heard even the slightest rumors about a teacher he or she had, I wouldn't be comfortable having that person teach my child.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Personally I don't know how to view myself as a man these days. I've spoken to women on a number of occasions and heard about how they believe most men are sex obsessed/insensitive bastards. Many men seem to live up to this stereotype while many others seem to go out of their way to prove they are not sex crazed perverts, so much so that they would barely even dare approach a woman in a bar.

On the topic though, I used to work for a security company and we were explicitly told during training that if we were ever to come across a lost child we must under no circumstances be alone with them and must get a female member of staff immediately. Is this really the norm now?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I'm a man. How so. I had an alcoholic old school male teacher for Irish.
    You say you find women better teachers, I'm saying that the individuals who thought me were male and better than the women who thought me in the same subjects. Saying that the male teachers were better at teaching those subjects was true in my school, but it wouldn't be a universal fact, the same as not all women teachers are better than male.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

the_syco wrote: »
    You say you find women better teachers, I'm saying that the individuals who thought me were male and better than the women who thought me in the same subjects. Saying that the male teachers were better at teaching those subjects was true in my school, but it wouldn't be a universal fact, the same as not all women teachers are better than male.
    I never said ALL female teachers were better or ALL male teachers were worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

For what it's worth (I have no idea if these were common), in the all boys school I went to, I came across the odd male teacher who could be said to be not very warm to most students; but then occasionally I got frustrated that it seemed a few female teachers would see us all as "animals"/similar and punish us all as one e.g. if they couldn't find out who was responsible for a problem, which was frustrating/seemed unfair. Probably having a mix is good - female teachers were perhaps warmer on average but then if you got a good male teacher, they could be quite/very interested in you and be like a mini-father figure. Haven't thought about it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

iptba wrote: »
    For what it's worth (I have no idea if these were common), in the all boys school I went to, I came across the odd male teacher who could be said to be not very warm to most students; but then occasionally I got frustrated that it seemed a few female teachers would see us all as "animals"/similar and punish us all as one e.g. if they couldn't find out who was responsible for a problem, which was frustrating/seemed unfair. Probably having a mix is good - female teachers were perhaps warmer on average but then if you got a good male teacher, they could be quite/very interested in you and be like a mini-father figure. Haven't thought about it too much.

Can't speak for primary school since I only had a male teacher for 1 year (he was very good, but really I would say I only had 1 somewhat bad teacher)

But in secondary school it was 50-50 and the male teachers were nearly all head and shoulders above most female teachers. It was an all boys school so take from that what you will, could be very different in a mixed/female school.

Male teachers were so much better at communicating especially the difficult material and were far better at controlling an over sized classroom of 30 testosterone fulled eijets. The female teachers had no patience, lost the head and starting screaming/shouting which just made everything ten times worse. There were 1/2 good female teachers but they were bucking the trend.

It's also a bit strange because before secondary school I had been though by females for 7 of the last eight years as well as being home with the mammy most of the time so you would think I would have more trouble with male teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I think that stems from the fact that the male in general was the figure of authority in most homes.I know when I was growing up and acting the maggot the line "wait til your Daddy gets home" was used more than once to get me to have manners.I reckon the balance has shifted somewhat since then though ie 25 odd years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Look whos talking

It is a sad way society has gone when men feel that teaching is a women's job, I agree with the above , the amount of times our teachers were on maternity leave, the school didn't always find the right substitutes!! we need more male teachers, but society needs to change first !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As someone who trained as a teacher last year, I do have to admit that such alligations scared the hell out of me, especially since I was one of only 5 male teachers (compared to 76 female teachers) in an all-girls school of over 1000 pupils :S

We got plenty of talks from lecturers and so forth on never putting yourself into a situation where accusations could be made and also making sure if any were, you got full apologies and your name publically cleared.

But low and behold, one trouble student did actually accuse me of something at one stage; one of these "rebel" kids who kept pushing and pushing teachers, trying to wind them up. One day she didn't do her homework, as per usual, and I gave her punishment work, as was the norm in the class. Out of nowhere, she said if she was forced to do the extra work, she was going to tell the principal I made "advances" on her. Got lucky that she said it in full view of a handful of better students, and I was quick enough that I marched the girl straight to the principal's office and explained what had just happened. But I'll admit it left me shaken for a few days afterwards.

Actually, on a similar note, my father was talking to someone within the school a few months back, after I had left. They told him my biggest fault was the fact most of the girls not only loved me but were in love with me. Dad laughed at first but then was told it's actually a bad thing for a male teacher in an allgirls school since it means they are more likely to make up stories, feel rejected, etc, and can put you and the school into difficult situations :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Possibly think if I do become a teacher I'll set up a cctv on myself in my classroom. Probably only way you could prove nothing happened

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Possibly think if I do become a teacher I'll set up a cctv on myself in my classroom. Probably only way you could prove nothing happened

Yes, because setting up a cctv to record a room full of small kids won't be at all suspicious! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Malari wrote: »
    Yes, because setting up a cctv to record a room full of small kids won't be at all suspicious! :pac:

said on myself for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If not CCTV then a small voice recorder.
    These are very small, about the size of a cigarette lighter and record for over 10 hours.

If you were on your own in a room talking to a student, door open of course, it wouldn't be a bad move to have this recording in your desk or pocket.

Cost around 70 euro, available online or from the likes of Maplins

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

said on myself for a reason

It's ok, I was just being facetious.

My momma's a teacher and I know the ridiculous lengths she has to go to to avoid a parent potentially complaining if she touches a kid. If a 7 year old boy falls in the yard sometimes all that's necessary is a bit of comforting. At the end of the school year, some of the kids want to hug her goodbye for the summer and she has to be careful. A parent once DID complain that their child was assaulted because she held a kid back by the schoolbag when he was shoving another kid in the class.

It's ludicrous and I'm sure it's a lot harder for men to deal with a crying young child in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Best thread I've seen in a while.

This is a really bad situation alright. I am a 24 year old man and I have felt fairly uncomfortable at times doing things like holding my nephews hand when crossing the road etc. The same goes for walking behind a girl on a deserted street. I feel really bad for all the teachers who spend their days walking on eggshells, even worse for GAA and scout leaders who are volunteering their time to help these kids only to have the most serious accusations possible made against them.

To all of you who continue your valuable work despite all this you deserve the utmost credit and respect.

Advertisement