Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

The catatalytic converter was giving a rattle so I drilled 2 holes tapped them and put in 6mm bolts did the job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Loom cleaned thoroughly and fitted to the new engine, which needed a damned good clean!

The Alfa has moved again... 1 Metre foreward :pac:

Looking to get a t-belt kit for my BMW. I don't think it needs special tools... :confused: Never done it before, needs doing, have the car nearly 6 years... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

dgt wrote: »
    Looking to get a t-belt kit for my BMW. I don't think it needs special tools... :confused: Never done it before, needs doing, have the car nearly 6 years... :eek:

What BMW have you got? Not many of them have a timing belt bar some 4 cylinder engines in the mid-90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Mal, that's a great job on the car. Blue graphite is the best colour for any VW.

Also, top gears on. There's going to be a new ST and XFR crashed. I'm going to be upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

The ST crash isn't too bad from the pictures I saw a while back. Bit of front/side panel damage, nothing major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

dar83 wrote: »
    The ST crash isn't too bad from the pictures I saw a while back. Bit of front/side panel damage, nothing major.

Worst episode of TG I ever saw.

I've not watched it yet, busy watching football. :)

But you've made me think twice about watching it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

you can say anything, ill still watch it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What BMW have you got? Not many of them have a timing belt bar some 4 cylinder engines in the mid-90s.

Sure mine isn't even from the 90s. 6 cyl too :pac:
    Image1490.jpg
    Image0816.jpg

The belt kit is approx £50, water pump about £30. Looking foreward to having that right! After that: the sump gasket :mad:
    EPM wrote: »
    Mal, that's a great job on the car. Blue graphite is the best colour for any VW.

You had me confused there for a minute....! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Wasnt even a real ST, pffffffffft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Thankfully given what Hammond the tool did to it with the launcher :rolleyes:

Did they actually say in the program it wasn't real? There was a debate about it when the filming was being done and the pictures of the crash/damage came out, because the number plate on it was for a Black 1.6, which seemed to have been kitted out to look like the new ST should...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Top Dog wrote: »
    Thankfully given what Hammond the tool did to it with the launcher :rolleyes:

Very Hollywood, the fun is gone out of that program now
    dar83 wrote: »
    Did they actually say in the program it wasn't real? There was a debate about it when the filming was being done and the pictures of the crash/damage came out, because the number plate on it was for a Black 1.6, which seemed to have been kitted out to look like the new ST should...

Yeah, they said it was ricky lake, even showed the fake dials on the dash for the boost gauge etc.

He then said it was a 1.6 EcoBoost.

the kit was probably made out of fibreglass to add to the impact.....smash!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'm still at a loss to explain why/how someone could sign off on those 2 muppets getting their hands on 5 Ford Focii & 3 high power Jags and allow them to smack them about the place for a few mins entertainment. Boggles the mind really!

I'll still watch it - but with each episode it seems to become more and more like an 8 year old's wet dream (before they discover girls ;):D )

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Ok got a load of stuff done again today! A much deserved wash, ran a cable from the CD changer in the boot to the front of the car so I now have aux in without spending €250 on a Dice MediaBridge, I had to take out the back seats to do it so they got a leather treatment while they were out. And finally got a few pics of the car

suds!

47895.jpg

Rear seats removed

12a69.jpg

Leather cleaned

37119.jpg

The boot stripped

6c4cc.jpg

After stripping the boot I realised I could splice into the cables under the rear seats instead so the cable was soldered in there instead

4931c.jpg

Me tucking the cable under the trim

31a70.jpg

91b87.jpg

b7994.jpg

Looking mean :p

918b1.jpg

New CF centre caps on MV2s

53609.jpg

Sorry for the photo bomb! Hoping to wrap the wood trim during the week and maybe do the clutch delay valve. But after that im going to leave it alone for a few weeks!

**Edit heres a sound clip of the exhaust when the car is started from cold

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

She's looking excellent conzy, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

vectra wrote: »
    You most likely have the power wires mixed up

Possibly one yellow and one red.
    One goes to permanent power for the memory ( holding stations and settings )
    the other goes to ignitiion so as when the key is turned off the headunit goes off as well.

i just pluged it into the slots :L now u say that the radio does not start or stop with the key u have to touch the button to start it with the car on and once the car is turned of you have to stop it manuly or pull out the key :/ and if the car is of with the radio of it just won't go on till the ignition is turned on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Gave mine a wash earlier too, and damn did it need it.

Only had enough time for a two bucket wash and a quick try of megs claybar on the bonnet, threw some SRP on the boot/bonnet/roof, and tried out some RainX on the side mirrors.

Looking much better and actually seems like there's still a small bit of wax left under what was caked in muck.

(not the best iphone pics ever, you get the idea!)

photo5_3.jpg

photo4_1.jpg

photo3_2.jpg

Again, very impressed with the work conzy. I love my astra but jesus , and im trying not to sound like a norry here, that sound is daycent! Im buying that car :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭vectra

fanadman1 wrote: »
    i just pluged it into the slots :L now u say that the radio does not start or stop with the key u have to touch the button to start it with the car on and once the car is turned of you have to stop it manuly or pull out the key :/ and if the car is of with the radio of it just won't go on till the ignition is turned on

OK,
    This is how it should be,

Key on = radio on ( provided the radio is on via its own power button)

Key off = Radio goes off

Next time when you enter car it should go. Key on and radio comes on with it and also have stations saved.

You definately have one wire wrong.
    I feel you have both power wires going to ignition which turns off everything.
    Look at the instructions that came with it
    It should say something like this ( not sure of colors so check yourself)

+12 = RED
    Switched 12v = Yellow
    Or the other way round

What headunit and car is it?

Ive the same problem with the gfs ibiza. I put in the hu, (never had a problem before) and it has the exact same symptoms as fmans. I knew the live and continuous were messes up somewhere but its just a plug and play with an iso to sony adaptor.

Ive the same problem with the gfs ibiza. I put in the hu, (never had a problem before) and it has the exact same symptoms as fmans. I knew the live and continuous were messes up somewhere but its just a plug and play with an iso to sony adaptor.

Swap over the red and yellow for a quick fix. ( assuming they are the power colors )

OK,
    This is how it should be,

Key on = radio on ( provided the radio is on via its own power button)

Key off = Radio goes off

Next time when you enter car it should go. Key on and radio comes on with it and also have stations saved.

You definately have one wire wrong.
    I feel you have both power wires going to ignition which turns off everything.
    Look at the instructions that came with it
    It should say something like this ( not sure of colors so check yourself)

+12 = RED
    Switched 12v = Yellow
    Or the other way round

What headunit and car is it?

tbh i never evan looked at the name of the head unit
    i went for one within my price bracket with a usb slot all i know is that it is alba the car is a 02 seat leon its just a plug though so how are the lives mixed up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

i went for one within my price bracket with a usb slot all i know is that it is alba the car is a 02 seat leon its just a plug though so how are the lives mixed up ?
    they are different on different cars. on the leon you need to swap over the yellow and red wires coming from the back of the headunit to the iso blocks

Swap over the red and yellow for a quick fix. ( assuming they are the power colors )

I have looked at the wiring instructions and they are the colours. Looks difficult to change the wires on the adaptor though! Not to mention it took an hour to get the shaggin radio to fit in the first place.....thats probably whats putting me off most :)

This one?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5006425/Trail/searchtext%3ECAR+STEREO.htm

Pull out the stereo again.
    Check wire colors at the rear. I am alomst certain the power ones are a red and a yellow.

Pull the plug out again and get a circuit tester ( if you dont have one a 12v bulb in a holder with 2 wires sticking out would do ) Turn off/take out the key,
    earth one of the bulb wires, take the plug at the car side ( not the stereo) and touch the other wire from your bulb to the red one and see if the bulb lights up, If so this is your constant 12v supply.Then check the yellow one, That should be dead, now turn on the key and check the yellow one again, It should be live. Check the corresponding wires on the stereo connector and see if red goes to red and yellow goes to yellow.
    It is here the problem should lie.
    If they match or not they need to be swapped over, Sometimes it is possible to get the connectors out of those blocks with the aid of a small pin or something but I rarely succeeded in doing this. What I do is snip the red and snip the yellow and swap them over. Tape them up good and secure. Plug back in and your problem should be solved.

Any more Q's just ask ;)

I have looked at the wiring instructions and they are the colours. Looks difficult to change the wires on the adaptor though!.........

.... snips and pvc tape :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Scotch clips are handy for splicing if you've no solder.

• Advertisement

This one?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5006425/Trail/searchtext%3ECAR+STEREO.htm

Pull out the stereo again.
    Check wire colors at the rear. I am alomst certain the power ones are a red and a yellow.

Pull the plug out again and get a circuit tester ( if you dont have one a 12v bulb in a holder with 2 wires sticking out would do ) Turn off/take out the key,
    earth one of the bulb wires, take the plug at the car side ( not the stereo) and touch the other wire from your bulb to the red one and see if the bulb lights up, If so this is your constant 12v supply.Then check the yellow one, That should be dead, now turn on the key and check the yellow one again, It should be live. Check the corresponding wires on the stereo connector and see if red goes to red and yellow goes to yellow.
    It is here the problem should lie.
    If they match or not they need to be swapped over, Sometimes it is possible to get the connectors out of those blocks with the aid of a small pin or something but I rarely succeeded in doing this. What I do is snip the red and snip the yellow and swap them over. Tape them up good and secure. Plug back in and your problem should be solved.

Any more Q's just ask ;)

exactly that one :L
    i'll get someone else to do the wireing if that is the case :P i m not a confindent man with that type of thing id nearly set her on fire :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement