Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Not something I done but something I'm getting done

Getting a new windscreen tomorrow :)
    Our lovely high maintained roads destroyed the one in it now, started out as a 5mm crack last monday on the passenger side, now its grown over to my side

I've named him crackers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Not something I done but something I'm getting done

Getting a new windscreen tomorrow :)
    Our lovely high maintained roads destroyed the one in it now, started out as a 5mm crack last monday on the passenger side, now its grown over to my side

I've named him crackers

I only got a new windscreen last week. I was just driving along and checked my mirror and suddenly there was a crack on the passenger side over a foot long :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I have 2 "double tap" stone chips on mine and need to look into repairing them myself when the weather improves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Bpmull wrote: »
    I only got a new windscreen last week. I was just driving along and checked my mirror and suddenly there was a crack on the passenger side over a foot long :eek:

Screw that, all I can say is, thank feck for window cover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Changed the front brake hoses. Couldn't get the track rod ball joint out of the hub with the hammer:(. Need it sorted for the DOE retest on thursday. Might have to invest in a little pullers to pop it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

dgt wrote: »
    A rather annoying clonk developed, gawking underneath revealed the engine movement limiter was flopping about, bolt loosened out! :eek: threadlock didn't do the job there :(

A sign to take the engine out again perhaps??? :pac:

Noticed my balljoint boots are beginning to perish, how??? They're less than 3 months old :mad:

At least the wishbones are sound...

Balljoints perished? That's sh1te roads for ya!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

166man wrote: »

They always ask me in Givran do I need balljoints or fuel filters everytime I call in :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just after realising now that the old rear covers for the reverse lights/rear fog on the bootlid of my motor we from the saloon and not the coupe. Was wondering why the new ones I got were a different design!

There bad enough alright. Helped a mate with his 156 wishbones at the weekend. He travels into galway from the sticks every day. They were fairly bad. One of the wheels had a mind of it's own.

There bad enough alright. Helped a mate with his 156 wishbones at the weekend. He travels into galway from the sticks every day. They were fairly bad. One of the wheels had a mind of it's own.

I wouldn't know anything about wishbone issues...:D

Was it the left one by any chance?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't know anything about wishbone issues...:D

Was it the left one by any chance?

No the right. He done the left one last summer :). Lovely car though. I like the engine in particular. Sounds and feels alot bigger than a 1.6

No the right. He done the left one last summer :). Lovely car though. I like the engine in particular. Sounds and feels alot bigger than a 1.6

Left one on mine was in bits! Must get the bit for the right one at some stage too! Cheers for reminding me!

Engine in mine is the 1.6 and you said it exactly, it's an absolute peach. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Calipers came out well after a lick of paint. :)

20130423_175201_zps428a42da.jpg?t=1366738554

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Nice! Did you use some enamel heat proof paint?

BX 19 wrote: »
    Nice! Did you use some enamel heat proof paint?

Nope,good auld Hammerite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Nope,good auld Hammerite.

I did an embossed rocker cover with a VW logo in Hammerite and the paint flaked with the heat. Or maybe it was because it was the cheap lidl version of hammerite. I'm sure a caliper wont get as hot as a rocker cover though.

Looks good though, might do mine :)

I did an embossed rocker cover with a VW logo in Hammerite and the paint flaked with the heat. Or maybe it was because it was the cheap lidl version of hammerite. I'm sure a caliper wont get as hot as a rocker cover though.

I've the proper VHT wrinkle paint waiting for the rocker cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Probably has something to do with the fact that it was the aldi version :P

I used Hammerite direct to rust paint on my calipers and disc hubs recently. 3 coats of it followed by 3 coats of Halfords petrol resistant lacquer and it's as solid as a rock.

Thanks to 166man, my car not only is spotless, it beads..... :cool: I'll throw up pics when I get home!

I never thought I'd see the day one of my cars would be so clean on the outside :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I have to see this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Today I started "project Tarzan" a bright green 323 1.6
    First job is refurb the alloys, rip out the seat covers and machine wash them.
    Will also need work done on the calipers, possibly a coil pack, thermostat, new front fogs and a small bit of tidying up on the body.

It doesn't make any economical sense to fix it up, but its a good honest car and I have time to spare!

imageuqe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Hello sexy....

935498_10151430119647825_543625398_n.jpg

I love seeing engine build pics :cool:

dgt wrote: »
    I love seeing engine build pics :cool:

I'm not building this one myself, it's gone to an engine builder, need it to be right. Today he had to put the cambelt on, make sure it was all ok then remove it and the cams and switch the VTEC pins to engage VTEC, put it all together and then tell us how far it will be safe to adjust the timing on the pulleys you can see in the pic above when tuning. Then remove them again to return the pins to normal and put it back together again!

Moar pic whoring lol

messaging_attachment.php?aid=82046b3a9baa8e4e17c546573551ab05&mid=mid.1366746399227%3Adf1d08fa937831f414&uid=744852824&accid=744852824&ext=1366752576&hash=AQAFr-YBaBhiqTZ3Kk5PWUJCPRNcOJ9PzTWkAkskBKdSHQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

After a minor setback yesterday evening with shearing one of the slider pins :mad: ...

snap2.jpg

Got the pin drilled out today and replaced, meaning new brakes on the rear :cool:

ds_disc3.jpg

Fair to say that they were overdue replacement (passenger side was grinding away for the last week/900 miles :eek:

ps_disc2.jpg

Drivers side wasn't a whole heap better, but I suppose I should be relatively happy that at least they've both worn evenly compared to each other :o

ds_disc2.jpg

Booked into the garage in the morning for the 2 front trackrods so fingers crossed she'll be grand for the DOE re-test then :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I have to see this!

As requested :)

We start with a relatively dirty car and it gets handwashed + detarred
    Image588.jpg
    Image589.jpg

Then some polish is applied....
    Image590.jpg
    Image591.jpg

Not forgetting the wheels
    Image592.jpg

Then waxed. I never ever thought I'd see the day this happens on a car of mine....! :eek:
    Image595.jpg
    Image596.jpg

Night photos in the middle of Navan, 2nd one didn't come out as good....Still shiny :cool:
    Image598.jpg

Don't start about my tail pipe being on the piss!!!
    Image600.jpg

A big hats off to 166man for devoting his afternoon to turning the 406 into a mirror :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Does this mean no more engine removals now DGT - and instead you'll be getting high on the fumes off expensive car polish? :D

Combine the both... Wax the engine bay when the engines out :pac:

I'm due an engine swap soon, might try that for the laugh! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

The Pug looks fantastic!!!!

Nothing like the farmers car you brought to the last meet :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement