Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

bmstuff wrote: »
    It is not too bright right? Does not look like it from your pictures anyway, just whiter/brighter light.

I have been in a few bimmers where those bulbs were so bright it was blinding me when opening the door...chinese stuff :cool:

Did you see that one too? I have seen it for real in a Audi it was quiet nice...

I think they're just right Mick, certainly no brighter than stock.
    Hi Paddy,

Two questions:

1. Can you provide a link to the guy you bought the bulbs off?

2. Where did you buy the replacement gearstick. Mine is scratched from a previous owner.

1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321036054787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2. From the main dealer, it's the Performance shifter and gaiter.
    +1 for a link :D

I presume they're all the same for the E92?

I think there's two extra bulbs for the E92 in the rear footwells :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Conchurl wrote: »
    i paid 130 for them. i wont be putting them on for a bit as i have other 406 alloys on the car and want to use all the thread off them i . what did you pay for yours?

5 wheels for £60 inc tyres, caps and bolts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

dgt wrote: »
    5 wheels for £60 inc tyres, caps and bolts ;)

do you anywhere online i can get longer bolts for the alloy as the ones i have on now are from when it had steel wheels on and are a bit short peugeot wanted €5 a bolt last time i checked. how did you get them for so cheap?

do you anywhere online i can get longer bolts for the alloy as the ones i have on now are from when it had steel wheels on and are a bit short peugeot wanted €5 a bolt last time i checked. how did you get them for so cheap?

Afraid not, I'd try ebay first if looking new. Those wheels take a flat face bolt, the tapered steel ones won't work. You are looking for M12 x 1.25 bolts with a flat face. Alternatively, have a hunt round a scrapyard for similar bolts; the corail requires a slightly longer bolt than standard. I must see if I can get pics up...

I deal a lot with that particular yard hence they look after us quite well with parts :)

Afraid not, I'd try ebay first if looking new. Those wheels take a flat face bolt, the tapered steel ones won't work. You are looking for M12 x 1.25 bolts with a flat face. Alternatively, have a hunt round a scrapyard for similar bolts; the corail requires a slightly longer bolt than standard. I must see if I can get pics up...

I deal a lot with that particular yard hence they look after us quite well with parts :)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/OE-WHEELS-PEUGEOT-CITROEN-EXTENDED-WHEEL-BOLTS-FLAT-SEAT-SET-16-50MM-/300624905504?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item45fea40520#ht_2217wt_1186

something like this? what length would i need to get?

or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16x-Peugeot-406-407-605-607-Partner-Silver-Alloy-Wheel-Bolts-17mm-Flat-Seat-/160935609592

or this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/16-x-GENUINE-FLAT-SEATED-PEUGEOT-CITROEN-ALLOY-WHEEL-BOLTS-12X1-25-/140892175869?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item20cdd3fdfd#ht_3077wt_1186

• Advertisement

Here are the bolts you need beside the standard bolts
    Image522.jpg

Alloy bolts at top, standard at bottom. While the standard bolts appear to fit quite well
    Image523.jpg

You can see why the flat face is needed for extra length
    Image524.jpg

Short bolts will put more pressure on a smaller area of threads and eventually strip them. Not nice!

Tip: to take off the centre cap use a 10mm allen key ;)

Edit: either of the last 2 links in your post are the bolts you need as I have both sets myself :pac:

Here are the bolts you need beside the standard bolts
    Image522.jpg

Alloy bolts at top, standard at bottom. While the standard bolts appear to fit quite well
    Image523.jpg

You can see why the flat face is needed for extra length
    Image524.jpg

Short bolts will put more pressure on a smaller area of threads and eventually strip them. Not nice!

Tip: to take off the centre cap use a 10mm allen key ;)

Edit: either of the last 2 links in your post are the bolts you need as I have both sets myself :pac:

if you get a chance over the next few days would measure them just so i know im buying the right one

if you get a chance over the next few days would measure them just so i know im buying the right one

Why wait? ;)

Overall length
    Image530.jpg

Length of taper
    Image528.jpg

Breadth of washer
    Image529.jpg

Length of thread including space
    Image526.jpg

Length of useable thread
    Image527.jpg

Hope that was useful!

Sound for that dgt there was no need to go and do it straight away. I'm of to search eBay to see if I can get them for a fair price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Hitched it up to the caravan to take it for its spring wash :o (yes, I plan on annoying you all this summer :p:pac: )

camping.jpg

Can't say I was too impressed with being charged €30 to wash it, and she wanted to charge me €40! :eek: Same place only charged me €15 this time last year :mad:

Finally got to see if moving the towball inward would be ok and all seems fine thankfully. :D

hitch1.jpg

Ran the break-away cable over the top of the hitch though as when hanging below it was barely 2" off the ground and only asking to catch on something - I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with this? :confused:

hitch2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Sound for that dgt there was no need to go and do it straight away. I'm of to search eBay to see if I can get them for a fair price

You got PM ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Replace the dash vent that lifted in the GP last night - two of the right side clips broke on their own over time (common fault) but fook me it took two of us to get the thing actually out and a new one back in again! Here's how it looked prior to lifting (not my pictures). No more rattle for another 7 years ;) Next - wheel arch liners.

attachment.php?attachmentid=67275&d=1250529118

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

There's something bittersweet about diagnosing car problems :(

There's play in the tie rods.... In fairness, the only part I hadn't changed in the front suspension (bar arb bushes)

Also managed to wash the car, first time in forever I've had a chance to.... Last few sunny days haven't helped the dust situation either...

wtnf0e1.jpg

jEUIDTC.jpg

JyyIBRU.jpg

jJYgROL.jpg

hGJn5Tg.jpg

Tr1BRN8.jpg

As you can see in the 2nd last picture, I've acquired the iPhone 17 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Jebus, that was even dirtyier than mine :eek:

Damnit now I'm in the mood for washing cars.... :p

So lets see how far I got washing cars....

Hahahahahaha yeah right :pac::pac::pac:

To the XUD on a pallet! Pair of I should say :p

First: pump put back on
    Image531.jpg

I managed to root out a gates belt. Tensioner and roller I can't be arsed changing yet but in due time I will
    Image532.jpg

Such a simple effort to tension, loosen 2 x 13mm nuts and the spring will tension the belt. Tighten and off you go :D

For future timing belt changes, copper grease the crank pulley
    Image533.jpg

I couldn't find a suitable blanking plug so I had no choice but to re install the manifold plus turbo. Bums :(
    Image534.jpg

Then I wired it up :)
    Image536.jpg

Did it work?

Damn straight it did :D

On another note, the planned cooler is a bit too wide....
    Image535.jpg

Meh, I'll find some way around that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

I shoulda stayed around for that! Ah well, fantastic work as always dgt. :)

Damnit now I'm in the mood for washing cars.... :p

Oh dear. What have you all done to me.... :eek:

So I cleaned the car :) Then decided to polish the windows :)
    Image537.jpg

That's not glass polish if I may add...
    Image538.jpg

Then the rest of the car
    Image541.jpg

Could it be?
    Image539.jpg

That shine!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    Image540.jpg

Those pictures do not show how shiny the car is. Just wow :cool:

And fixed a blown foglight
    Image542.jpg

Yeah... The unknown side of dgt....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Got my Koni sport rear shocks today and fitted them. There a popular upgrade from stock on FD2's and the difference is night and day

2629yj4.jpg

The car is an ex honda demo and mileage is quite low but recommended brake fluid change is at 5 years so said I'd do it while I had the wheels off, the front brembos have the bleed on the outside of the caliper so makes it even handier

2gwiclz.jpg

And also gave the pollen filter a change while I was at it

2v86bnl.jpg

Need to get 4 wheel alignment done next, then oil and coolant change and that'll do me for a month or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Got my car back from mechanic.

Engine+gearbox replaced. Entire exhaust replaced (all parts from donor I bought before).

400 EUR for labour and I'm bankrupt now. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

joujoujou wrote: »
    Got my car back from mechanic.

Engine+gearbox replaced. Entire exhaust replaced (all parts from donor I bought before).

400 EUR for labour and I'm bankrupt now. :eek:

at the end, wouldnt be cheaper just buy running car ??? If you sell/scrap your old car, and buy a car. , instead of buy parts , then pay mechanic, and other bits ??
    I thought you goin fit all parts yourself :rolleyes:

i am planing remove engine head on my Avensis , send out for reconditioning, remove oil sump, probably goin replace piston rings, a bit oil burns ... according emission test... could be stem seals, could be oil rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Mar4ix wrote: »
    at the end, wouldnt be cheaper just buy running car ??? [...]

Yes, it would, especially the one I bought was in running condition (more-less), although filthy (not well looked after).

But it's not a matter of price, as...

:D

Daylight :)

Image543.jpg

I didn't do the back bumper on account of the crap caked into it
    Image544.jpg

Still though :cool:
    Image545.jpg

DOE time ... and she failed :(

she_failed.jpg

Was expecting it to be worst though if I'm honest - passenger side track rod end and 1 of the rear numberplate lights (which was actually working).

So for those in the know, would I be fine just replacing the passenger side or should I really be doing both sides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Top Dog wrote: »

What way does the retest work is the few less or is it a full 87.16 euro again? At least it didn't fail on much I'm sure it will fly the retest.

Bpmull wrote: »
    What way does the retest work is the few less or is it a full 87.16 euro again? At least it didn't fail on much I'm sure it will fly the retest.
    He told me it'd be free within 20 days for what I failed on anyway. Dunno if it qualifies as just a visual and thats the reason. Not gonna complain though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

He told me it'd be free within 20 days for what I failed on anyway. Dunno if it qualifies as just a visual and thats the reason. Not gonna complain though ;)

Ah that's fair enough then tbh. I wouldn't fancy forking out another 87 odd euro. My van isn't due till October but it will probably need a small bit of work before the test but hopefully nothing too serious.

Meh 106 needed a battery.... So I shoehorned in a lorrey battery :cool:

Image546.jpg

The damned thing not only weighs as much as the engine, it's also as big and probably more powerful :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

new alloys - 18 rs4s on Bridgestones

audia3t.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Was expecting it to be worst though if I'm honest - passenger side track rod end and 1 of the rear numberplate lights (which was actually working).

So for those in the know, would I be fine just replacing the passenger side or should I really be doing both sides?

Number one rule for suspension and brakes:
    Always replace in pairs. Track rod ends aren't expensive and if one is gone, chances are the other one won't be far behind.
    At least according to the tall guy Ed.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement