Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Killinator

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Those stripes! :eek::eek::eek:

They're the Gulf colours, I had them done when I went to Le Mans last year.....and I like them!

Just finished a nice road wine trip of around 1400kms over the last week. Dublin - Rosslare - Cherbourg - Loire Valley, some driving around vineyards, a lot of wine drinking/buying and then home.

I had the car NCT'd early in case it'd show anything out of the ordinary ahead of the trip. Didn't have a problem at all, even with all the wine we brought back. Note how far down the suspension is in the second picture!

8hHMqm.jpg

8p575A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

The effort that manufacturers put into getting the flow characteristics in the air intakes optimum just can't be improved or even matched by some hack I'm afraid.

Probably they made an improvement in the '70s or 80's when standard intakes and filters were crap and still probably had no effect on "performance" cars.

I wouldn't be taking MCM's above video as gospel, contradictory if anything as there were slight power increases (5bhp) but the guys just chose to discount it because it weren't much, there's also the fact that every car and engine is different and will take to certain mod's differently.

I had one of the k&n typhoons linked above on my CL7R, dyno'd stock before fitting in westward it made 218, after fitting it made 229. My result wasn't unique either, the k&n typhoon on a Euro R seems to achieve good results all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Got a small delivery from eBay this morning. Something I've been meaning to do with a while, but just haven't had the enthusiasm to get around to.

PMcGE90LED-1_zpse2b560b9.jpg

I wanted to swap out all the stock interior halogen bulbs for LED items.

PMcGE90LED-2_zps9316e537.jpg

The prices for this vary by quite some amount, but eventually I found a seller which offered every bulb for £25 plus postage so thought it was worth a punt.

PMcGE90LED-3_zpsb3f83885.jpg

Much to my surprise, it wasn't all that much effort to get at most of the bulbs, although one or two were a bit stubborn.

PMcGE90LED-4_zpsf2786495.jpg

Halogen map light on left, LED on right.

PMcGE90LED-5_zps953646f8.jpg

Driver's vanity light, which I realised that the switch for turning it on when the mirror cover is slid across is a touch flakey. Will see to that shortly.

PMcGE90LED-6_zps86599953.jpg

It's hard to capture the exact brightness of them, but they're pretty much on par with the standard lights just much whiter.

PMcGE90LED-7_zps5aff0785.jpg

This is a pretty decent representation, without the street lighting throwing the white balance off.

PMcGE90LED-8_zps6a864263.jpg

The kit really does come with EVERY bulb needed : boot, rear dome & map lights, front dome & map lights, puddle lights, footwell lights and even one for the glovebox.

PMcGE90LED-9_zpsdc7001c7.jpg

For the sake of half an hour and the bones of €30, it really does freshen up the interior completely.

PMcGE90LED-10_zps581e844c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hi Paddy,

Two questions:

1. Can you provide a link to the guy you bought the bulbs off?

2. Where did you buy the replacement gearstick. Mine is scratched from a previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

bmstuff wrote: »
    It is not too bright right? Does not look like it from your pictures anyway, just whiter/brighter light.

I have been in a few bimmers where those bulbs were so bright it was blinding me when opening the door...chinese stuff :cool:

Did you see that one too? I have seen it for real in a Audi it was quiet nice...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/LED-SMD-Einstiegsbeleuchtung-BMW-M3-E30-E34-E36-E39-E46-E38-E60-E87-E90-X3-X5-Z3-/350758160919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item51aad0ca17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Can you provide a link to the guy you bought the bulbs off?

+1 for a link :D

I presume they're all the same for the E92?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

5500 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be taking MCM's above video as gospel, contradictory if anything as there were slight power increases (5bhp) but the guys just chose to discount it because it weren't much, there's also the fact that every car and engine is different and will take to certain mod's differently.

I had one of the k&n typhoons linked above on my CL7R, dyno'd stock before fitting in westward it made 218, after fitting it made 229. My result wasn't unique either, the k&n typhoon on a Euro R seems to achieve good results all around.

Ok fair enough I can only talk about what I know and on Levins people who care about performance go mad looking to change their cars back to the standard air boxes etc. I'm very surprised that Honda didn't make a better stock system but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I know it'd probably do absolutely nothing to my car but I'd like an intake and decat on it, just for the noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

CianRyan wrote: »
    I know it'd probably do absolutely nothing to my car but I'd like an intake and decat on it, just for the noise.

Well, to give you an idea....

Power and slight increase in economy. Win win :D

Yet another pump update! I really did stay out till a few mins ago :)

Pic heavy, 2 separate posts bla bla bla...

I had a brain wave
    Image492.jpg

A much better idea :)
    Image493.jpg

What its all about :) 11mm plunger on the left, 9mm on the right
    Image494.jpg

And distributor heads, same as above
    Image495.jpg

There's a big difference between them...

Decided to fit the plunger, collar and distributor springs first whilst attaching the throttle to the collar
    Image496.jpg

Time to break out the seal kit!
    Image497.jpg

Clean up each face well. Stick the return springs in a dab of grease to get them to stay in the head then offer the whole lot to the pump
    Image498.jpg

Once all bolted, swap the delivery valves. Be careful, there are pistons and springs in these... Use new coppers supplied
    Image499.jpg
    Image500.jpg

Halfway there!
    Image501.jpg

To the next post...

To the top half!

Replace as many of the seals as you can; they go hard and lose shape with age (haw haw haw :p)
    Image502.jpg

New rubber rings on the gov shaft/throttle spindle
    Image503.jpg

Once ready, fill the pump with diesel and put the top on. This was a right arse to put back on...
    Image504.jpg

Setting the throttle to max throttle
    Image505.jpg

Throttle spring adjustment and throttle cable adapter
    Image506.jpg

Clean up as much aspossible. Done! :D
    Image507.jpg
    Image508.jpg

That wasn't too difficult eh :)

• Advertisement

The Bravo sounds ****ing deadly!! :D
    There's nothing I love more than a good high pitched rasp, never been mad for BAAAAAAW BAAAAAAW type exhausts. :p

Right, have to start thinking about the cheapest way of doing that.

The Bravo sounds ****ing deadly!! :D
    There's nothing I love more than a good high pitched rasp, never been mad for BAAAAAAW BAAAAAAW type exhausts. :p

Right, have to start thinking about the cheapest way of doing that.

And I gave up that experience for a dayyysel.... Heavy times :(

Not all is lost: my aim is to have the car sounding like this

:cool:

Not bad for a diesel. Haha
    I'll be looking forward to the twinspark in the van though, I'd say that'll be something else when it's done. :cool:

Not bad for a diesel. Haha
    I'll be looking forward to the twinspark in the van though, I'd say that'll be something else when it's done. :cool:

There's quite a rasp from it as is in the 156 :eek::cool:

Which reminds me: said engine in the car still. Note the all important cable going to the tb :P
    Image475.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

where do you get the energy dgt? :pac:

I'll be honest with you, I'm not very sure where anything is in there. :p
    I'm used to staring at this.

14lof15.jpg

Note my stick. :pac:

where do you get the energy dgt? :pac:

Tesco I thinks :P

And Cian, clean that engine asap!!!!

Everytime I think about doing it I worry about getting my electrics wet... Then I just leave it. :o

The filth of it. :p
    344ebzl.jpg

Ideally I should take off the rocker cover and give it a lick of silver along with a good wash.

It's the one part of the car I try to keep spotless....

A useful vid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

dgt wrote: »
    And Cian, clean that engine asap!!!!

Yes Cian,
    Just whip it out and wash it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Ok fair enough I can only talk about what I know and on Levins people who care about performance go mad looking to change their cars back to the standard air boxes etc. I'm very surprised that Honda didn't make a better stock system but there you go.

Completely depends on the car and engine. Also big difference between NA and Turbo/SC cars as well. To blanket statement that CAIS are completely useless is as wrong as saying all CAIS will improve performance.

Also most of the Jap NA stuff doesn't react too favourably to them, but that's the nature of those engines.

More DA work today. REdone half the bootlid and used the britemax black max polish and vantage wax vectra gave me yesterday,

526832_557176910979673_854906996_n.jpg

549158_557176957646335_1603229079_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

More DA work today. REdone half the bootlid and used the britemax black max polish and vantage wax vectra gave me yesterday,

It's hard work isn't it!

I've been at it again the last two days in the sunshine on my own. Done the driver side and bonnet so far with the heavy orange pad & the strongest menzerna polish. Arms/back killing me after it :o

I'm seeing much better results now than I did previously with the lighter pads and I'm going much slower too.

It is alright. The paint on the beemer is so bad I've had to order the most coarse menzerna and wolfs polish on the market afaik :D

It's very rewarding though and with some music it's enjoyable enough on a day like today :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got the car back from paint, looks unreal. Will most likely get shots tomorrow. But I'm very impressed.

Go for a spin now before the sun disappears. :D

Just another day up here....

Cleaning the XUD. It needs it
    Image509.jpg

Removing the pulley
    Image510.jpg

Much better (yes I know it's still dirty but it's not black)
    Image511.jpg

Cleaner engine! Here you can see the screwdriver for locking the flywheel
    Image512.jpg

Moving onto the van. Attempting to start it meant I had to make the wires seem a bit hot..... ;)
    Image513.jpg

And a big hat's off to barura for showing me an ingenious way to feed power to the pump!

However.... Failed! Back to the drawing board...

To a pair of 156's

First one: stripping
    Image514.jpg

Easy to remove
    Image515.jpg

To another 156... This was irritating me!
    Image516.jpg

Conveniently I have several mirrors to choose from! Why does this one have these bolts though...
    Image517.jpg

Seems the trim was off before...
    Image518.jpg

Yaaay!
    Image519.jpg

Decided to keep the clocks that came with the car. But I'm using the black carbon effect trim
    Image520.jpg

The somewhat finished article!
    Image521.jpg

More to do, after I finish this excellent coffee cake :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

today i bought a new set of alloys for my car, http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/alloyswheels/4805511
    changed the both dim bulbs in my aunt mazda 3, dipped it for oil :mad: no oil in it so off i go put 2 litres in her car and it is about 85% full on dip stick
    check my cousins mazda 6 for oil same thing no oil on dip stick so i put the other 2 litres into that and it is only 1/3 full on dip stick.
    my aunt has the mazda 3 from new from in 2008 got it serviced for the first time about 6 months ago 120000kms on it now
    i also started my friends boxy starlet and took it for a drive around the yard i do this every week or 2 as emigrated 6 months ago

Conchurl wrote: »
    today i bought a new set of alloys for my car, http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/alloyswheels/4805511
    changed the both dim bulbs in my aunt mazda 3, dipped it for oil :mad: no oil in it so off i go put 2 litres in her car and it is about 85% full on dip stick
    check my cousins mazda 6 for oil same thing no oil on dip stick so i put the other 2 litres into that and it is only 1/3 full on dip stick.
    my aunt has the mazda 3 from new from in 2008 got it serviced for the first time about 6 months ago 120000kms on it now
    i also started my friends boxy starlet and took it for a drive around the yard i do this every week or 2 as emigrated 6 months ago

Corails! :D I have them too :) Did you pay full whack for them? Funny that mine also came with winters when I bought them... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

dgt wrote: »
    Corails! :D I have them too :) Did you pay full whack for them? Funny that mine also came with winters when I bought them... :confused:

i paid 130 for them. i wont be putting them on for a bit as i have other 406 alloys on the car and want to use all the thread off them i . what did you pay for yours?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement