Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Two hail showers and one rain! Weather was completely against me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ahh, I was trying the time the gaps between the showers here :D. So I got the hoover out and started on the inside. Then the fukin neighbour takes out his washer, so I'll hopefully find a dry spot in the morning to get it done.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Got the Octavia NCT'd, flew through. And I found a fiver in the car park. :D

I'll have to wash her after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Against my better judgement, I washed it
    Image418_zpsba4b7377.jpg

2 tone in a few days methinks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

Finally got around to fitting 2 new HID'S to the dipped beam on my Octavia. Didn't actually realise how much they have faded over the years. What a difference they make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

For those without projector lights. I got these w5w led bulbs for my sidelights. They look good and fill in the gaps were it was dimmer before. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200904084473
    It uses newly invented Ultra Power LED. Compared with filament bulbs, it has no heat output and extremely low power consumption.
    It works at 12V.
    Compared with traditional LED bulbs, it has a 180degree of intense illumination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

5500 wrote: »
    Changed all cabin bulbs to LED's, and fitted red courtesy footwell LED kit

2whqgw0.jpg

jscdih.jpg

Is that the official Honda footwell LED kit?
    And what LED's are you using for the cabin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

BDJW wrote: »
    Is that the official Honda footwell LED kit?
    And what LED's are you using for the cabin?

The footwell is 15 SMD LED strips, the OEM Honda kit is 1 LED and about €100 v €5 for the pair if strips below,

2yv6k9e.jpg

The dome and map lights are 31mm LED's, €2 off ebay

r1lq1f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Was bored tonight so I decide to go out and fiddle with the outside temperature sensor. It is constantly reading over 25 degree c. So I wasn't sure where it was exactly. I removed the plastic cover over the radiator and there it was behind the metal strut on front of the radiator. I fiddled with it disconnected it. Going by online forms it is in quite a bad place as it gets no wind I moved it on top of the strut just behind the top grill beside the badge as it gets plenty of air flow there. Still reading 27 degree c :mad: so at least I know now the sensor is fcuked. Ill have to get a new one in the next few weeks. Still no harm to know where it is when fitting the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Heat the sensor up keeping it in your hands for a long while and look if reading will change.

What car?

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »
    Heat the sensor up keeping it in your hands for a long while and look if reading will change.

What car?

Ford focus 2007. If it is currently reading 27 degree c would the temperature of your hands cause it to rise anymore. But any advice id appreciate I know nothing about them. The connection plug is fine it's not corroded at all. It's just a small black piece of plastic with a metal probe at one end and wire at other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Picked up some coolant from BMW, also ordered wiring connectors for the seats (at last)

New thermostat going in monday :D

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did a big job on the car yesterday. Mainly concentrating on the wheels.

Before:
    DSC_0003.jpg
    Pretty grimmy looking inside:
    DSC_0011.jpg
    Washed them down with a rag in some soapy water, which got rid of alot of the dirt and grease.
    DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg
    Sprayed on Iron-X to the alloy:
    DSC_0018.jpg
    Some tar still remained, so I detarred using tardis tar removed (amazing stuff):
    DSC_0019.jpg
    Finished product. Unfortunately I couldnt get the adhesive for the balancing weights off.
    DSC_0020.jpg
    Much better. Shined up the tyres with some old turtle wax tire shine I have.
    DSC_0028.jpg

I then washed, dried, detarred, washed, polished and buffed the car.
    Car before:
    DSC_0001.jpg
    Car After:
    DSC_0024.jpg

To do today:
    Wax car
    Clean windows
    Interior - Dash, seats, carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Great results. Love the car too.

Cui bono?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Need to do a proper job on my wheels one of these days...they're in a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Did a big job on the car yesterday. Mainly concentrating on the wheels.

To do today:
    Wax car
    Clean windows
    Interior - Dash, seats, carpets.

Very nice.
    BUT
    I do hope you sealed the wheels with something to protect your good work?

Unregistered Users

Bpmull wrote: »
    [...] If it is currently reading 27 degree c would the temperature of your hands cause it to rise anymore. [...]

If reading says "27 degrees" when real temperature is roughly 5-6 degrees I just wonder what it would show when heated up to 15-20 degrees.

And (if you can) disconnect it for a while and see what display will show - error or still 27.

I cannot find now what values it could give back when measured with a multimeter, but this will more than likely will be easy to find in Haynes manual. You may be able to read it somewhere in the shop (halfords, etc), but in fact the easiest and quickest will be just to replace a sensor. :)

vectra wrote: »

Very nice.
    BUT
    I do hope you sealed the wheels with something to protect your good work?
    Nope. Need to get something to do that. It'll be on my next order from clean car. any recommendations?

If reading says "27 degrees" when real temperature is roughly 5-6 degrees I just wonder what it would show when heated up to 15-20 degrees.

And (if you can) disconnect it for a while and see what display will show - error or still 27.

I cannot find now what values it could give back when measured with a multimeter, but this will more than likely will be easy to find in Haynes manual. You may be able to read it somewhere in the shop (halfords, etc), but in fact the easiest and quickest will be just to replace a sensor. :)

I disconnected it last night and two lines came up on the inside display this should happen. I then reconnected the sensor and read 26 degree c. It reads between 22-33 degree c all the time. I think your right ill just get a new sensor they are about 25 euro plus vat of main dealer but seem to be cheaper online so ill just get a new and that should be the problem sorted. Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nope. Need to get something to do that. It'll be on my next order from clean car. any recommendations?

Chemical Guys Wheel Guard.

For future reference, I find OAC Iron Cleanse a lot better than Car-Pro Iron X as it sticks to the surface rather than running off.

To get rid of the old tape from weights, get a can of Holts Tar remover, let it soak for a few minute (but don't let it dry) and scrape the tape off with a plastic ice scraper.

• Advertisement

For future reference, I find OAC Iron Cleanse a lot better than Car-Pro Iron X as it sticks to the surface rather than running off.

To get rid of the old tape from weights, get a can of Holts Tar remover, let it soak for a few minute (but don't let it dry) and scrape the tape off with a plastic ice scraper.

In a nutshell.

Unregistered Users

Went to town yesterday.

Wanted to make a copy of a car key, but the problem was (IMO) I already had a blank, so the best known locksmith in Sligo (can't say who, but google knows) refused to do so. I'll never go back there.

Back home, took some basic tools:

245345.jpg

- small visegrip,
    - set of needle files,
    - table vice,
    - abrasive pad (to make a key "smoother")

...and the job is done. :D

Before:

245346.jpg

After:

245347.jpg

It works! :cool:

Perfect. Will any tar remover do or is holts the best for the wheel weight adhesive?? I've auto glm tar remover I'd gladly waste on this. I'll have to avoid the current wheel weights though.

Went to town yesterday.

Wanted to make a copy of a car key, but the problem was (IMO) I already had a blank, so the best known locksmith in Sligo (can't say who, but google knows) refused to do so. I'll never go back there.

Back home, took some basic tools:

- small visegrip,
    - set of needle files,
    - table vice,
    - abrasive pad (to make a key "smoother")

...and the job is done. :D

It works! :cool:

Pure class!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Went to town yesterday.

Why not? If you went there and they refused to serve you, it is a fact, it can never in a million years be considered slanderous. If I went to my local shop and they refused to sell me a pint of milk I would consider it well within my rights to proclaim to the world that "Shop X in Town X refused to sell me a pint of milk for no good reason". If they tried to sue me, I'd call their bluff.

Perfect. Will any tar remover do or is holts the best for the wheel weight adhesive?? I've auto glm tar remover I'd gladly waste on this. I'll have to avoid the current wheel weights though.

That should do just fine.

I say Holts because it wont evapourate and it's a gel type spray so it will build up on the tape and break down the adhesive without you having to apply more.

Ordered an aux in cable for my car. It's amazing ford put a space for a connector block at the back of the radio and aux button on the radio but never bothered to fit the lead. Anyway hopefully ill have that by next weekend should be simple enough to fit. I had the radio out today to look and see where the block connector went. It will be great to be able to play music from my iPhone iPod :)

You'll be turning up the volume on your HU ;)

• Advertisement

You'll be turning up the volume on your HU ;)

Why does it play the music very low ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement