Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Top class eringobragh!
    Seeing the results anyone can get with a machine polisher and a wheel refurb, I can see how you can genuinely add value to a car. Imagine showing up to a car sale with what looks like a genuinely new car, despite its age. You'd jump on it, even if it was €1000 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Collected this today.
    DSC_0208.JPG

Comparison to the old pair that I was taking out. Old ones were racelands.
    DSC_0201.JPG

Installing the front drivers side coilover.
    DSC_0204.JPG

View of the bottom of the mount.
    DSC_0205.JPG

View of the top which is camber castor adjustable.
    DSC_0207.JPG

View of the rear shock and spring.
    DSC_0203.JPG

Front left finished. I had to cable tie the wires to the drop link connection. My drop links are onto the wishbone. Anyone know what happens in NCT? I failed the last one because the brake line wasn't secure. These don't have anywhere to secure it to?
    DSC_0199.JPG

Here is the x-brace that I installed as well today.
    DSC_0202.JPG

I am really happy with both as it really made the car a lot more responsive when turning. I need to get it tracked now because the back of car feels off now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The HSD coilovers are excellent. I had DW's HSD made control system coilovers on my old car and loved them.

The HSD coilovers are excellent. I had DW's HSD made control system coilovers on my old car and loved them.

Yeah I am pleased so far with them. I'm thinking about removing the helper spring altogether from them since they are compressed fully anyway and I would be able to adjust the damping easier at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Yeah I am pleased so far with them. I'm thinking about removing the helper spring altogether from them since they are compressed fully anyway and I would be able to adjust the damping easier at the bottom.

You adjust the bound/rebound from the coil seat. The dampening is done by an adjuster screw at the very top of the unit and the ride height by the shock base.

These together with the full DW adjustable arm kits allow fantastic suspension control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Those HSDs are a very good unit, couple of the ITCC drivers are running them the last couple of years. Very versatile, whats the car?

You adjust the bound/rebound from the coil seat. The dampening is done by an adjuster screw at the very top of the unit and the ride height by the shock base.

These together with the full DW adjustable arm kits allow fantastic suspension control.

For some reason on the E36 the dampening is done with an allen key under the shock. The way I have it set now it's very hard to reach up to it.

DSC_0210.JPG

It's at the top in the rear shocks though. They also don't offer the adjustable arm kits for E36. Well I can't find it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

pretty fancy looking coilovers! jer thats gonna be some well kitted out and expensive e36 when youre done!

pretty fancy looking coilovers! jer thats gonna be some well kitted out and expensive e36 when youre done!

It's already expensive. Maybe I am just going overboard for a road car :D Oh well, I enjoy working on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

s'all that matters meinen freund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I am convinced the previous owner washed this car with rocks :P ...I'm not trying to achieve 100% correction but if I get it to 90% I will be happy.
    Can't wait to get the blacklight on her :)

Today I did the top half of the passenger door, time cosuming stuff, but have to say the DA is the best thing I've gotten for the car when you see the
    change in paint it makes the effort seem worthwhile.

Car was clayed and polished with Menzerna Medium cut polish and pad.

General condition of the paint:

img0362large.jpg

img0364large.jpg

img0366large.jpg

img0367large.jpg

SIDE BY SIDE after Polishing:

img0376large.jpg

BEFORE AND AFTERS:

Before:

img0371large.jpg

After:

img0372large.jpg

Before:

img0377large.jpg

After:

img0380large.jpg

Before:

img0384large.jpg

After:

img0391large.jpg

Before:

img0385large.jpg

After:

img0394large.jpg

CONTD:

Before:

img0386large.jpg

After:

img0389large.jpg

Before:

img0388large.jpg

After:

img0395large.jpg

FINISHED PRODUCT:

img0403large.jpg

img0399large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

That looks incredible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

eringobragh that is great work. When can I drop my car over to you?!

BDJW wrote: »
    eringobragh that is great work. When can I drop my car over to you?!

Cheers man :P The rate things are going it could be another few weeks before I'm finished and will be glad at that!

It's definately a worthwhile investment the DA if you are doing this type of work I would still can myself a novice at this stage. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Today I said goodbye to my car.

The avensis that is. It was a trusty steed for 2 years, it's gone to a new home now. Best of luck to the new owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I am convinced the previous owner washed this car with rocks :P ...I'm not trying to achieve 100% correction but if I get it to 90% I will be happy.
    Can't wait to get the blacklight on her :)

Today I did the top half of the passenger door, time cosuming stuff, but have to say the DA is the best thing I've gotten for the car when you see the
    change in paint it makes the effort seem worthwhile.

Car was clayed and polished with Menzerna Medium cut polish and pad.

Looks great! How did you hide the deep scratches? Do you just fill in the scratch with touch up paint and polish over it?

DrMorphine wrote: »
    Looks great! How did you hide the deep scratches? Do you just fill in the scratch with touch up paint and polish over it?

Ran the polisher with the medium cut pad and polisher and they disappeared 90% you have to look closely now to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What's the idea of taping a section off when you're doing paint correction?

MCMLXXV wrote: »

To stop foreign bits getting on the pad and scratching the paint work

I also stick a strip to devide the panel when I'm doind it in sections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cheers man :P The rate things are going it could be another few weeks before I'm finished and will be glad at that!

It's definately a worthwhile investment the DA if you are doing this type of work I would still can myself a novice at this stage. :pac:

I spent approx 50 hours doing the Toledo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Its also to protect the plastic mouldings from being damaged if you go over them with a pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Fiited a pair of Bilstein B4 to the front of the e36, new foam dampers too. Also swapped out the expansion tank & did a coolant flush & renew.

b15dcd1f.jpg

Invested in a set of Spring Compressors.

a38d0f29.jpg

Was a bit disappointed with little flashes of surface rust on the anti-roll bar & inner wing. Jobs for the future...

94c63a4f.jpg

It drives much better now, one of the shocks that came out was really weak. Don't know how it passed NCT last year in that condition.
    Anyway, another job done, coolant change tomorrow, onwards & upwards!

Still love my e36 cabriolet!

40a3d135.jpg

Almost ready for the summer!

Stuff

Think I seen you near Bishopstown in cork yesterday. Lovely looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Car looks stunning, have you been at it with a D/A polisiher too? :p

Think I seen you near Bishopstown in cork yesterday. Lovely looking car.

That wasn't me, it was probably AKUMA over on BMW-Driver.net. This one is currently off the road (taxing it tomorrow). Driving the 6 Series petty much full time, so unless you spotted me in that?
    Hal1 wrote: »
    Car looks stunning, have you been at it with a D/A polisiher too? :p

Yep, had the Kestal DA polisher at this two weeks ago, still not happy with it so another go is required!

That wasn't me, it was probably AKUMA over on BMW-Driver.net. This one is currently off the road (taxing it tomorrow). Driving the 6 Series petty much full time, so unless you spotted me in that?

Yep, had the Kestal DA polisher at this two weeks ago, still not happy with it so another go is required!

Nah it was a 96 hellrot E36. Probably AKUMA so.

Nah it was a 96 hellrot E36. Probably AKUMA so.

Mine is a Hellrot e36 1996! So is AKUMA's except he has Contours on his, I think he is running with his hardtop still. Are you going to head to the BMW-Driver.net meeting on 15th April in Youghal?

Mine is a Hellrot e36 1996! So is AKUMA's except he has Contours on his, I think he is running with his hardtop still. Are you going to head to the BMW-Driver.net meeting on 15th April in Youghal?

Whoever I seen had the hardtop anyway. Yeah I was planning to go everything permitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Hellrot

Rots like a b@stard yeah? :pac:

I know it's German for bright red

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement