Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Revolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

This sounds quite exciting so hopefully it'll all work out. I also remember reading a few months ago about Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins getting involved in a new promotion. Does it have anything to do with this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Because as wrestling fans, we've been excited before and let down more often than not. How many times have we gotten excited about angles or stories, like Punk this summer, Nexus the year before, only to be terribly let down with substandard booking and execution.

Call it what you will, it's still a wrestling show, and as I said, I'm excited. But it's with trepidation. It's still going to focus on storylines which culmunate in a wrestling ring, and there's no point having blind faith in something we've not got that much info on.

I am not saying to have blind faith just dont be all ARRGGGGHHH THIS BETTER NOT WASTE MY TIME. :mad:

Again it is an Arthouse Wrestling "promotion" with someone with a real film background, who HAS actual money and who is a long time Wrestling Observer reader.

Not some dude with a cheap website and a facebook operating out of his Ma's bedroom.
    This sounds quite exciting so hopefully it'll all work out. I also remember reading a few months ago about Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins getting involved in a new promotion. Does it have anything to do with this?

RESISTANCE_Pro, it is a common or garden indy with a bigger budget.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

rovert wrote: »
    I am not saying to have blind faith just dont be all ARRGGGGHHH THIS BETTER NOT WASTE MY TIME. :mad:

Again it is an Arthouse Wrestling "promotion" with someone with a real film background, who HAS actual money and who is a long time Wrestling Observer reader.

Not some dude with a cheap website and a facebook operating out of his Ma's bedroom.

**** me, is that something we can put on CVs nowadays? :P

And I agree it's nice to see someone with real dramatic writing value behind it, but that still doesn't make it a lock it's going to be good. I mean, his credits on IMDB is...

How To, Batman! (TV series) (consulting producer)

Shoot 'Em Up (associate producer)

Normal Adolescent Behavior (executive producer)

Snakes on a Plane (associate producer)

Thats it. 4 producer roles. He's got a few documentry credits as well but they look low budget things. He's taking on a bigger project now, and it's nott hat he has a tonne of experience. Nothing to promise success or great writing from the show. Again, I am excited and I hope it does well, but I can understand people waiting to see how it is before getting overly positive.

It is a credential that most successful promoters have.
    And I agree it's nice to see someone with real dramatic writing value behind it, but that still doesn't make it a lock it's going to be good. I mean, his credits on IMDB is...

Thats it. 4 producer roles. He's got a few documentry credits as well but they look low budget things. He's taking on a bigger project now, and it's nott hat he has a tonne of experience. Nothing to promise success or great writing from the show. Again, I am excited and I hope it does well, but I can understand people waiting to see how it is before getting overly positive.

Clearly his experience is below the high art that is Pro Wrestling.

Id rather people would take a wait and see approach rather than **** on it with little info.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Clearly his experience is below the high art that is Pro Wrestling.

Id rather people would take a wait and see approach rather than **** on it with little info.

tbh Rovert I think thats exactly what they are doing. not going mad about how awesome it could be cos they dot want to be dissapointed but because maybe they are skeptical it sounds like they are negative about this while instead they are more taking the wait and see approach you talk of imo.

Atleast thats what im doing although I am far more positive about it given the more recent news released and I do like the concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Is there a start date yet?

CMpunked wrote: »

No.

It needs to be filmed, edited, film scored and stuff.

film scored and stuff.

They should get michael giacchino!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Not some dude operating out of his Ma's bedroom.

If it's good enough for Paul Heyman............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Rovert are you giving out about people being negative? :D Ahh remember the old days when you all you did was give out about everything.... Good times.

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »

Yeah, the first tapings are October 11,12,13 in Hollywood. 15 Bucks a ticket, not bad.

http://www.stubmatic.com/TheWRProject

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Rovert are you giving out about people being negative? :D Ahh remember the old days when you all you did was give out about everything.... Good times.

I gave out about everything? Ok. Odd retelling of history that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Reganio 2 wrote: »

hey man i know thats an attempt at humour but can we try and avoid anything that brings into question other peoples posting style especially things that are a few years old and may take a thread off topic if the poster doesent just brush it aside.

anywhoo... This really could be awesome if it fulfills its potential. Yeah decent ticket prices too it seems so hopefully they will have good crowds. Any word if the roster is complete or should we expect more names?

Charisteas wrote: »
    Yeah, the first tapings are October 11,12,13 in Hollywood. 15 Bucks a ticket, not bad.

http://www.stubmatic.com/TheWRProject

Dammit. Not going to be in hollywood that day, drats. :P
    anywhoo... This really could be awesome if it fulfills its potential. Yeah decent ticket prices too it seems so hopefully they will have good crowds. Any word if the roster is complete or should we expect more names?

15 sounds perfect if they are going to have character arcs and proper stories.

And I'm sure many an unsuccessful promoters have read it as well, as have many, many fans. Just cause you follow backstage news and stuff like that doesn't mean you're qualified to run a wrestling show. I mean, I love wrestling and I follow as many different newsletters and magazines as possible. Doesn't mean it would count for much if I ever started up a promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

hey man i know thats an attempt at humour but can we try and avoid anything that brings into question other peoples posting style especially things that are a few years old and may take a thread off topic if the poster doesent just brush it aside.

It wasn't an attempt.. It was very funny :(

Anyway I am hoping this works out, the fact Devitt is in on it seems good, he dosn't seem like the type of bloke to just throw his name on anything.

And I'm sure many an unsuccessful promoters have read it as well, as have many, many fans. Just cause you follow backstage news and stuff like that doesn't mean you're qualified to run a wrestling show. I mean, I love wrestling and I follow as many different newsletters and magazines as possible. Doesn't mean it would count for much if I ever started up a promotion.

It would teach the fundamental lessons of how to run a promotion relatively successfully and not make the really dumb mistakes.

I dont want to bash but for example I think DCW would have been more coherently booked if the owners spent a meaningful amount of time reading the Observer or Torch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jimmy jailbreak

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. He worked in the New Line offices as one of it's executive producers. That is a notoriously difficult job. An executive producer handles all buisness aspects of the production. He chooses what projects go into production, he assess their profitability and brings them to the studio bosses to be greenlit. If a project doesn't look marketable enough it's his job to make it so. Working that job is essentially like walking a tight rope, he constantly has to produce profitable films. If he has a string of movies that preform poorly he's f**ked! That kind of work coupled with his existing experience in professional wrestling makes him a pretty good canditate for a project like this.

Regardless though I fail to see the reason in predicting failure. What's the point?
    "Because lots of other people have promised and failed blah blah blah".
    But he hasn't promised anything. Nor has anyone said this is going to be the next big thing. So can't you wait and see how this sh*t turns out?. This whole point is mute anyway because it's already gone into pre production, it's happening one way or another.

I guess I need to clarify. I don't want it to fail. In fact, I'm excited since I've not got the chance to see guys like Devitt and I like Kenny and Gallows. I want this to succeed and I hope it does. And if the guy has more experience than I've given him credit for, fair enough. I don't buy reading the Observer makes him destined to write a good wrestling show, no more than I think a politician who reads the Art of War is suddenly going to become a master of government. All I'm saying is wrestling fans in general have been led to expect things like this to fall apart or be awful. Again, I don't want it to be, and I'm not saying that it will be. I don't think anyone is. I think most people are reserving judgement on it while noting the problems we as fans have had in the past. I for one am excited based on the roster and the concept but until I see what happens, I'm not going to place blind faith in the product (something a lot of fanboys tend to do when it comes to promotions).

Anyway, day 14...
    Michael Oberegger, best known to wrestling fans as "Psycho" Mike Rollins
    6a0120a721c2d7970b0154353e8808970c-800wi
    Trained by Johnny Devine, 25 year old Michael Oberegger has quickly gained a cult following across the Canadian wrestling scene as the entertaining (and certifiable) "Psycho" Mike Rollins. An eclectic performer, Oberegger has spent the last four years cultivating a truly unique in-ring style featuring a combination of humor and athletic violence. Further seasoned in training under both Scott D'Amore and Harley Race, Oberegger's work has taken him across the border and into camps for American promotions including ROH and DG:USA. Michael Oberegger now stands poised to break out further as the newest member of the WRP cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

OK to begin with someone reading what Dave Meltzer has to say won't make them a good promoter at all. That's like saying everyone who reads Ain't It Cool knows how to make a succesfull cult film. That's one I can't get my head around at all.

Second I haven't seen a single post in this whole topic that went along the lines of AAAAHHH THIS IS GOING TO FAIL BlAH BLAH BLAH. All I can see is people saying "yeah this sounds great, but I have gotten my hopes before and they have been smashed so I won't get too excited yet", and honestly what is wrong with that? If anything the negativity only started when people complained about people behind negative!

For me personally I think this sounds like a great idea with an excellent roster that will finally give me something different to watch. With a roster like that it will be hard for ne not to enjoy it and I hope it all goes ahead.

• Advertisement

OK to begin with someone reading what Dave Meltzer has to say won't make them a good promoter at all. That's like saying everyone who reads Ain't It Cool knows how to make a succesfull cult film. That's one I can't get my head around at all.

Nice strawman you built there.
    Second I haven't seen a single post in this whole topic that went along the lines of AAAAHHH THIS IS GOING TO FAIL BlAH BLAH BLAH. All I can see is people saying "yeah this sounds great, but I have gotten my hopes before and they have been smashed so I won't get too excited yet", and honestly what is wrong with that? If anything the negativity only started when people complained about people behind negative!

Read post #25

Nice strawman you built there.

I'm probably missing something obvious but please explain.

Read post #25

Once again, Jay said he has been let down in the past but hopes he is wrong. Can't blame him for having doubts but he is fair removed from hoping the company fails.

Have you read the Wrestling Observer for any length of time, firstly?

Have you read the Wrestling Observer for any length of time, firstly?
    A few years ago yes but disposable income isn't what it once was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jimmy jailbreak

Second I haven't seen a single post in this whole topic that went along the lines of AAAAHHH THIS IS GOING TO FAIL BlAH BLAH BLAH.

Neither have I. And that wasn't the point I was making anyway. It was people trying to not get our hopes up when Jeff Katz had not got them up in the first place.

A few years ago yes but disposable income isn't what it once was.

Then you should know that the Wrestling Observer isn't just Dave Meltzer's opinionz. It is also extremely well sourced news and information. Along with widely heralded and relatively objective history pieces. If you dont think there isnt anything to be learned from all that then you are crazy.

With that said what is wrong with Dave's opinion? He is extremely smart about the business and has spent days & days on the phone with every major promoter in modern history. Dave often repeats the idioms he gained from people as far back as Paul Boech and Sam Muschnik.

I never said listened to Dave Meltzer will make you automatically a good promoter. Merely that reading the Observer would teach the fundamental lessons of how to run a promotion relatively successfully and not make the really dumb mistakes.

If I applied for a job teaching English and put "reads Stephen King" on my CV, I'd be laughed out of the school and never asked back. Reading it may mean I have a better understanding of the English language but it doesn't mean I'll be able to teach others English. It doesn't mean I could become an author; reading a story doesn't mean I can write my own.

Reading the newsletters makes you a knowledgable wrestling fan and you may even pick up a few relevant tidbits of info. It is not something that should be used to prove someone can and will book a good show. It's not relevant to his abilities in any tangible way.

If I applied for a job teaching English and put "reads Stephen King" on my CV, I'd be laughed out of the school and never asked back. Reading it may mean I have a better understanding of the English language but it doesn't mean I'll be able to teach others English. It doesn't mean I could become an author; reading a story doesn't mean I can write my own.

Reading the newsletters makes you a knowledgable wrestling fan and you may even pick up a few relevant tidbits of info. It is not something that should be used to prove someone can and will book a good show. It's not relevant to his abilities in any tangible way.

Again nice strawman

Did you even read my last post?

Michael Oberegger, best known to wrestling fans as "Psycho" Mike Rollins
    6a0120a721c2d7970b0154353e8808970c-800wi
    Farooq and Bradshaw want their tights back.

k1xhrq.jpg

• Advertisement

Again nice strawman

Did you even read my last post?

Yes. You seem to be implying that because he has read the wrestling observer, that will help him as a booker.

I'm not denying it won't help, but it will only be of minimal importance when running a show like this. There's a list of things a writer needs when setting off on a project like this, and reading a news letter on the subject is so far down the list as to become minimal.

Advertisement