Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Revolution

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Wow, that could be REALLY interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

About this project

Wrestling fans are bored.

The same tired production. The same tired storylines. The same tired characters.

As someone once said, "Enough is enough and it's time for a change."

This, our Wrestling Revolution, is that change. The first ever 100% crowd-sourced wrestling promotion created by the fans for the fans. By combining classic wrestling storytelling with the shortened television series structure innovated by networks like HBO, FX, BBC and AMC, our Wrestling Revolution product will be both familiar and entirely new.

Each 12 episode season will tell a complete set of stories, introducing characters that will evolve and grow with each passing season. Take the season long build of shows like THE WIRE or DEXTER and apply it to the basic wrestling model and you have an idea of where we're going.

Every character has a mission, a journey and a reason for stepping into the ring. Some will rise, some will fall -- and you will be there to see it all. With the benefit of a defined start and finish the viewer is guaranteed a complete wrestling storytelling experience.

Each season will culminate in our season finale or supershow, where storylines conclude and start anew, new legends will be forged and lasting memories will be made. Fresh new characters, meaningful themes and wrestling-driven storylines with a beginning, middle and end. What a novel concept!

Produced by Jeff Katz, the Wrestling Revolution will be based in Los Angeles, California and streamed in high quality worldwide via our featured distribution deal with Justin.TV.

To be honest .... I'm not liking the idea. It might be tipping a bit too much into the entertainment side of sports entertainment ....

Honestly it sounds like TNA could learn a thing or two from this.. Particularly the "Fresh new characters, meaningful themes and wrestling-driven storylines with a beginning, middle and end" Line :pac: Although it being distributed on Justin.tv could either make or break the concept

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Oh great, a crowdsourced version of FAME for wrestling. Sounds like complete and utter sh1te to me.

Now if he'd come on and said "Hi, i'm Jeff Katz . . . I've a roster of unknown talent who rock, I'm gonna start a fed with 3 months between PPVs ... I'm gonna give each storyline however much time it needs..." then i could imagine it being interesting but not this crap that sounds like someone got high watching tv and thought 'wouldn't it be great if wrestling was confined to a 12 ep storyline arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Didn't this already fall apart?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'll need more than buzzwords and name-dropping Dexter before giving him my money. Wouldn't my support be better placed in Ring of Honor (where basically every plus he mentioned can be ascribed? storylines leading to a supershow etc) or CHIKARA?

Yes, i'm super cynical. As Fry from Futurama says, "sweet sweet words that turn into bitter orange wax in my ears" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I like the concept, i would not have had i heard it before the recent series of TE, i know that was a reality show, but maybe this could fill that hole that was left when that ended.
    Granted, it will probably fall flat on its face as TE had austin!

Everything kinda sounds good and nice, but as Jay said, it all seems to be buzzwords being dropped. Stating that wrestling fans are bored is correct i suppose, but whats not to say this "revolution" will bore us to death also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I have a feeling this could end up as another Wrestling Society X

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

To be honest .... I'm not liking the idea. It might be tipping a bit too much into the entertainment side of sports entertainment ....

Not enough motorsports? ;)

Could be interesting but it doesn't seem like it'll catch on. Sounds like a cross between South Park's approach to wrestling and Suicide's story mode in the Impact! game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

I have a feeling this could end up as another Wrestling Society X

THIS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Prince Devitt has been added to the roster as of today :D

The current roster is now:

Devitt
    Colt Cabana
    Shawn Daivari
    Luke Gallows
    Emil Sitoci
    Sami Callihan
    MVP
    Kenny Omega
    Alex Reynolds
    Ken Doane (aka KENNY!)
    Dr. Luther

Though it should be noted that it's being said they'll be playing new characters within the show itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

That's some strong roster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Hope it's a success!

I liked the sound of this originally... Now i fu*king LOVE the sound of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

So Colt Cabana isn't going to WWE then?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Pentecost wrote: »

I don't see why not, this I would imagine could be tapped more like a standard TV series and less like traditional live wrestling, so maybe the shooting could be just a couple of weeks for the 1st series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Pentecost wrote: »

Less so WRP and moreso Colt joining NOAH & touring Japan.

Day 12 and its announced the newest roster member is...

Ben Muth

A former starting left tackle for Stanford - where he majored in political science - Ben Muth brings a host of unique talents to the WRP table. Appearing in 26 games for the Cardinal, including two seasons under current San Francisco 49'ers head coach Jim Harbaugh, Muth would ultimately earn first team All Pac-10 honors in 2008. He would go on to sign with the NFL's San Diego Chargers as an undrafted rookie before an injury ended his nascent professional football career. Seeking a change of scenery and a new start, Muth traveled to Calgary, Alberta, Canada where he began his professional wrestling training under the expert tutelage of the highly respected Lance Storm. Now setting out to begin his wrestling journey in full, Ben Muth has arrived - a man of both brawn and brains - in WRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Are they only wrestling for this company then? Like is Devitt moving to America to do solely this and is finished in Japan?

Interesting concept anyway, especially good if we get to see more of Devitt on main stream TV.

Its only 13 episodes long so I'd imagine they'll film that in a week. Can't see it stopping any other commitments.

Day 13:
    Amazing Red
    Born in Puerto Rico and currently living in Brooklyn, New York, Jonathan Figueroa has garnered widespread acclaim over the past decade as the high-flying "Amazing Red." After starting his career on his home island, Figueroa soon became a sensation on the American indpendent scene. He was quickly signed to the initial TNA roster in 2002 where he would go on to become a three time X Division Champion. He would also go on to compete for promotions including ROH and All Japan Pro Wrestling. Following a three year retirement from the ring - where he would begin training a new generation of performers at the House of Glory school - Figueroa has re-emerged better than ever before. Now writing a new chapter in his own wrestling story, Jonathan Figueroa stands ready to make his voice heard loud and clear in WRP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jimmy jailbreak

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'll need more than buzzwords and name-dropping Dexter before giving him my money. Wouldn't my support be better placed in Ring of Honor (where basically every plus he mentioned can be ascribed? storylines leading to a supershow etc) or CHIKARA?

Yes, i'm super cynical. As Fry from Futurama says, "sweet sweet words that turn into bitter orange wax in my ears" :pac:

Wow you're right. I guess they better abandon the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Ordered. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I'm really excited about this. At first I didn't even give it a second thought, but look at that roster! I'd honestly place that at being equal to ROHs current roster.

If they pull off the concept then this could be the start of something very special. Plus Omega vs Devitt on American soil would cause alot of jaws to drop.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

No need for the sarcasm JJ - I'm actually asking those perfectly reasonable questions, which nobody seems to be able to answer. :o (I did write to Katz but it wasn't addressed.) After being burnt twice in a year with WrestleZone and "Big Europe Wrestling" and another upstart promotion (Florida-based, last year) that fell through ; i'm quite skeptical of new wrestling organisations coming down. I can't help but think whoever's donated has just píssed their money away. I am interested, as i am with anything new coming down the pike. I just don't have high hopes. I wish Jeff Katz the best of luck and i hope it's amazing!

Do they have a TV deal or is it just online streaming?

Last I read, the show was to be distributed on Justin.tv

I agree about not getting expectations up. Westling fans have been burnt too much in recent times and WWE has a habit of being anti-climatic. But...dammit, I'm excited for this. The roster looks brilliant and the idea of a show with a story arc that's thought out and planned ahead of time, and which isn't made up on the fly, sounds great. I know it could backfire on me as a fan because I don't have a clue what quality of work the writers will deliver, but it is just such a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sliotor

I watched MVP’s session 7 the other night and he was talking about this, it won’t be on any network tv just streaming. He also said he is not going to be mvp on this and it will give him a chance to play another character, I would imagine it will be the same for the other wrestlers which may be interesting enough, he also said this is aimed at the intelligent fan. Seeing devitt play a heel or a crazy character after been a baby face could be good enough. I say this is worth giving this a chance, since it is streaming do you have to subscribe to a website or something to watch it does anyone know.

Bizarre levels of negativity here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

rovert wrote: »
    Bizarre levels of negativity here.

I guess people are a bit cynical because because new promotions are always built up like they are going to be awesome and change the wrestling world and then in the end often dont even happen.

This atleast looks like it will happen and I must say the roster announced has me very interested. I'm not entirely sure about the Justin.tv thing but if it can be anything like im imagining from what ive read then im all for it.

One big positive with regards this idea imo is that unlike how WWE often does things it will not be booked on the fly and each angle/rivalry will be planned out months in advance or atleast should be.

I guess people are a bit cynical because because new promotions are always built up like they are going to be awesome and change the wrestling world and then in the end often dont even happen.

It is a film project not a full or even part time promotion. I dont get the preemptive outrage.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    It is a film project not a full or even part time promotion. I dont get the preemptive outrage.

Because as wrestling fans, we've been excited before and let down more often than not. How many times have we gotten excited about angles or stories, like Punk this summer, Nexus the year before, only to be terribly let down with substandard booking and execution.

Call it what you will, it's still a wrestling show, and as I said, I'm excited. But it's with trepidation. It's still going to focus on storylines which culmunate in a wrestling ring, and there's no point having blind faith in something we've not got that much info on.

Advertisement