Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC on Versus 4 (Marquardt v Story)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Kongo/Mitrione? :P

Leben like chin there from Kongo.. Awesome!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

btw, this confirms that cain doesnt have a weak chin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

[x] Pat Barry confirmed dead :|

unbelievable fight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Without a doubt one of the craziest knockouts you will ever see, can't wait to watch that again. He's dubbed the french zombie already on twitter, fair play to him. The post-fight with ariel helwani, stephan bonnar, rampage & one other commentator was very entertaining.

Rampage trains with Kongo, he is going to be a very important sparring partner for Rampage, his height, reach etc is close to Jones, identical height and close on the reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Shouldn't this thread say that it contains spoilers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Very tough fight to watch as a fan of Pat. He can't seem to build any momentum at all. However I hope that he maintains all the improvements made during this training camp under Marty Morgan and comes back stronger soon enough. Hopefully he makes the New Orleans card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

btw, this confirms that cain doesnt have a weak chin

Any heavyweight connects properly and anyones in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I nearly woke my housemates lastnight roaring HOLY F**K at the Barry KO. It was unreal. I'm after watching it again and I'm still amazed.

All in all it was a great night of fights from the 1st of the prelims to main event. The only bad fight was Joe Stevensons. I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Kongo was clearly out at one point, he was on his knees and his arms went totally limp, he was leaning into Barry and that was the only thing that stopped him being flat on his face.

Fair play to him for coming back but he was definitely out at that point and most refs would have called it as soon as they saw the limp arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

He got lucky, the Morecraft fight showed that within about 3 seconds Morecraft was back trying to defend himself, Kongo got lucky that his 3 seconds were in the midst of an attempted flailing takedown.

Amazing fight, one of the best cards top to bottom in a long time.

• Advertisement

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

weemcd wrote: »
    Without a doubt one of the craziest knockouts you will ever see, can't wait to watch that again. He's dubbed the french zombie already on twitter, fair play to him. The post-fight with ariel helwani, stephan bonnar, rampage & one other commentator was very entertaining.

Rampage trains with Kongo, he is going to be a very important sparring partner for Rampage, his height, reach etc is close to Jones, identical height and close on the reach.

Link to Helwani's post fight show please? thanks

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Don't go into a thread about an event the day after it's on. Usually people comment on the event as it's happening so going into the thread if you haven't seen it isn't a good idea.

Great show overall from the 1st prelim up to the main event.
    That was insane btw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

Don't go into a thread about an event the day after it's on. Usually people comment on the event as it's happening so going into the thread if you haven't seen it isn't a good idea.

Yup, if you haven't watched the fights but plan to then stay away from the internet, especially MMA forums and event specific threads! What do you think people are going to be talking about in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Awesome main event.

I like Matt Mitrione.

Joe Daddy seems to have completely forgotten how to fight.

Go on Tyson Griffin boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

callaway92 wrote: »
    Link to Helwani's post fight show please? thanks

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/43543842#43543842 < most of the videos are there, the guy is a gent, very quick to reply on twitter. Rampage always ribbing him in interviews too, makes good viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just finished watching it there.......HOLY SHÍT!!!! :eek: That was fukn nuts!
    I have a feelin we'll be seeing replays of that for a long lime time to come!

All in all great card! Big fan of Brenneman now! Brilliant performance from him.

Terrible refs though, who the fúck picked those guys?!!

According to forum rules this thread should have a spoiler warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    According to forum rules this thread should have a spoiler warning.

Yeah technically but a bit of common sense says you don't come into the thread a day after the fight and NOT expect spoilers.
    What did you think people would be talking about in here?
    I didn't stay up for the fight last night so I avoided this forum all day till I got home from work and watched it.
    common sense really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I can't even check facebook before watching the fights for spoilers so I stay away from boards, social sites, news sites, etc until I've watched the card...

Now that I have. WTF Kongo!!! And for anyone that wants a replay, check the vid below (prob won't last long tho)

Gotta love Meathead as well. He should be more enthusiastic about finishing fights tho. When he sarts fighting the big boys, he won't get away with leaving them get back up like that.

Warning! - Super Spoilers in the vid below!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ohhhh!!! the tud from Barry's punch lol:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I dare say that freeview was better than 99% of ufc ppv;s in the last feck knows how long.

Pat Barry was more out than i've seen in a long long time

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I don't think it was any better than the Carwin/Dos Santos card. Also, Yves Edward was in a worse way than Barry here after Stout knocked him out.

Crazy main event though. I thought Kongo had actually been knocked out and that but for Barry being in the way when he fell forward, the fight could've been called.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

<3 Matt Mitrione.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Watched this last night. Wow. Still in shock. Kudos to Dan though for letting the fight go on. You could see that he was so very close to stopping it when Barry connected a few times.

Incredible fight.

Quite liked Brenneman too. Story's a good fighter but I can't help think that he took this fight on too short notice. I know he came off a huge win in beating Alves but I don't think the last minute change helped his game plan in any way.

Ref marred that fight too. They were both fighting for dominant positions, yet they weren't "working hard enough" apparently. :rolleyes:

Rather enjoyable fight card and Matt Mitrione is fast becoming one of my favourite heavyweights. Seems like a top bloke too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I have new found respect for Kongo after that. He is generally a boring fighter to watch, but that shows how tough he is. Walking away after the fight was over, it looked like just another day in the office for him.

Rick Story was on a role before this fight and was touted as another possibility to beat GSP, but if he is going to allow himself to be as easily thrown around by a wrestler like that, he needs to train a bit harder, short notice or not.

Mitrione was as impressive as always. I still don't think he deserves a title shot just yet. However, with the rate he is improving, I would give him another year before he fights a top 3.

Pat Barry is short for a HW. Just for sh1ts and giggles, I would love to see him fight Struve :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

To be fair, Story was training for a guy who's predominantly a striker with a good submission game. He didn't train for a blue chip wrestler (Brenneman is a former Div 1 NCAA standout I believe). I don't think this fight should discredit him at all. Once he had a fire lit under him in the third round he looked to finish. Great win for Brenneman though, no denying that.

Mitrione should be way off a title shot yet. His next round of challenges should be the likes of Roy Nelson, Cheick Kongo, Stefan Struve et al. His striking is quite ropey, especially his defense. But his one punch KO power is undeniably a huge asset. I think he'd be schooled by some of the division's upper echelon on the ground. He's 32 as well, so he hasn't got much time to try and bring his TD defense and sub defense up to speed.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

What the hell was Rogan on about to Mitrione "You ready to face the top 20 in the division?"

Bit condisending, I guess he included Strike Force's roster as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Cheick Kongo vs Shane Carwin please!

Advertisement