Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC on Versus 4 (Marquardt v Story)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

I'd say ESPN are just slow updating the schedule.

Matt Brown vs John Howard is never a main card fight. After Kampmann pulled out it should have gone to prelim. Some very good potential fights on prelim card.

Looking forward to seeing Lentz vs Oliveira.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Ray von wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Lentz vs Oliveira.

You're looking forward to see Lentz? :eek::eek::eek: I'm a little bit worried :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

ScareGilly wrote: »
    You're looking forward to see Lentz? :eek::eek::eek: I'm a little bit worried :confused:

Ha! Those words have probably never been said before but
    I like Oliveira and he could trouble Lentz.

Fight of the night get your money on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Really excited about this card. Cannot wait to see Pat Barry back in the cage. I was listening to an interview with him yesterday and he spent most of his camp with the Marty Morgan up in Brocks camp and not that much time with the Duke. Pat is one nicest blokes in the sport and I'm a huge fan but I've always said he needs to seriously work on his TD defence, the UFC have been kind to match him with strikers. Very happy to see he's taking it seriously and cannot wait to see the improvement. He said in the interview he expects Cheick to try press him up against the fence and beat him up and he's ready to stop him do that. He also said he's not solely relying on his striking to win the fight.

Looking forward to seeing Charles Olivera back in there, I know it gets said about a lot of fighters and particularly in the LW division but I really think he will be champion one day. Also very excited to see Joey Lauzon get back in there. Very, very strong undercard for a fight night.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dean09 wrote: »
    Any body know what the story is with this on ESPN?

On the tv guide on upc it just says "To be confirmed" at the time it should be on.

I know the prelims are on Facebook but is the main event gonna be shown on ESPN or will I have to catch a stream?

Here's the full card:

Main card Preliminary card (Facebook)

Looking forward to the above.

I think Marquart should win, the cut isn't that big for him at all. He's a good price as the underdog.
    Want to see a Meathead KO.
    The John Howard fight couldn't be moved to prelim because he signed up as a main card fight. Contrct in place, he's lose a lot due to sponsors pulling out etc. He should win easy.
    Kongo Barry is v.close for me. But i think kongo takes in on experience. he's a boring fighter though, more cage presing and short holding :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing Joe Daddy at featherweight
    Lauson to win also,
    Manny to beat Tyson, not in a good spot him after losing 3 in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

it has to be said, this is a ridiculously deep card! I would pay to see a Main Card with Tyson v Manny, Lauzon v Warburton and Joe Daddy v Javi Vasquez! Never mind have them on a Prelim Card!

I can't understand how people can be excited to watch the Poor Man's Jon Fitch (Nick Lentz). I like the guy, I have nothing against wrestlers, but I hope Charlie knocks his face off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Interesting card, should be better than their last PPV. Story beat a poor Alves last time and I don't think he will have as easy of a time against Nate, should be good though.

I like Kongo not sure why but I do, I think Barry could chop his legs to bits wouldn't be surprised to see Kongo limb out of the cage with a loss.

Matt Mitt is def improving a lot and wouldn't be surprised to see him win this one, maybe by KO if Skyscrapper can KO him I wouldn't be surprised to see Meathead do the same.

Tyson and Joe Daddy usually bring an exciting fight so will have to catch the prelims, usually you won't see a lot of these on the main card as they will be running ads in america. (I mean repeated in main card if fights finish quick)

Thinking I might watch the facebook fights live and tape the main card so I can fast forward all their ads.

This is shown on one of the free channels here in Oz so I imagine its the same everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Pat Barry wrote:
    “I’m worried about Kongo, period,” he says. “I’m not worried about his length or his strength; I’m just worried about him in general, as a whole. I’m worried about his punches, his wrestling, his muscles, his blackness, his bald head. I’m worried about his song he walks out to. Every bit of Kongo is on my mind at all times. I’m getting prepared for everything,”

Source

:eek:

Very good article as far as the Barry quotes go, that one is a bit dodge though. Can you say things like that these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Yeah I think you're meant to say athletic or explosive rather than black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I think he's African American himself. Different rules seem to apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

I've no real problem with it, others might. He comes across well in the interview, I think what he was getting at his "toughness", would have been a better choice of word also.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Gonna go with wins for

Brown
    Mittrione
    Barry
    Story.

Some good fights in there

I really don't see how Pat's comments can be regarded as racist. Anyone who's familiar with how he talks in interviews will know it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Richy06 wrote: »
    I think he's African American himself. Different rules seem to apply!

This. Pat Barry is African American.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Don't forget this event is a day later, Sunday night/Monday morning rather than the usual Saturday night/Sunday morning.

It's on the ESPN schedule now.

weemcd wrote: »
    I've no real problem with it, others might. He comes across well in the interview, I think what he was getting at his "toughness", would have been a better choice of word also.
    That's not what be was getting at.
    He cleary said he was worried about every bit of Kongo as a whole. All aspects are on his mind, the fact hat he mentioned baldness should of highlighted what he meant.

If it was a white guy was was extremely pale and somebody said "woory about speed, his strength, and how god-damn white he is" nobody would bat an eye.
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Don't forget this event is a day later, Sunday night/Monday morning rather than the usual Saturday night/Sunday morning.

It's on the ESPN schedule now.

Ah, i missed that altogether.
    Normally the cards start at 11am sunday for me, so I didn't read much into "June 26th". But this won't air until 11am monday while i'm at work :mad:

Bloodstain Lane referred to Rick Story as Rick "The Bedtime" Story during the week, thought it was very funny. Apparently Nate is cutting the weight comfortably and the cut is going well. Looking forward to a good fight, could go either way but I reckon Marquart will take it if he can avoid the takedown and being pressed up against the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That Bloodstain Lane is some character. Is he taking the piss or just retarded?

Would love to see Kongo get a win at this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Interested to see how Nate looks at the weigh ins tonight, I always thought of him as a big MW never mind WW.

Nate-Marquardt-Cover.jpg

I wish Paddy Power would let me stick a bet on Kongo kneeing Barry in the nuts at least once lol.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

One-time UFC middleweight title challenger Nate Marquardt will not be making his welterweight debut this weekend.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that Marquardt is a late scratch from Sunday's UFC on Versus 4 event, and opponent Rick Story (13-3 MMA, 6-1 UFC) will now instead meet Charlie Brenneman (12-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) on the evening's main card.

With the late change, a highly-anticipated heavyweight bout between Pat Barry (6-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Cheick Kongo (15-6-2 MMA, 8-4-1 UFC) has now been promoted to main-event status.

The reason for Marquardt's last-minute withdrawal, mere hours before he was scheduled to hit the scales at the event's official weigh-ins, wasn't immediately evident. However, Marquardt's camp did release a statement insisting the setback was temporary and his future still lies at 170 pounds.

"Nate is really disappointed," the statement read. "He really was looking forward to making his welterweight debut, and he plans to be back in there as soon as possible."

UFC on Versus 4 takes place Sunday at CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh

Story is Brenneman's third opponent for UFC on Versus 4. His original opponent, Matt Riddle, withdrew from the card in May, while replacement foe T.J. Grant fell ill earlier this week and was also forced to withdraw from the card.

A Pennsylvania native, Brenneman looks to build on a January decision win over Amilcar Alves. The victory came after a TKO loss to Johny Hendricks at UFC 117 that snapped a six-fight win streak for "The Spaniard."

Story was also a replacement, stepping in on short notice for an injured Anthony Johnson, who was originally scheduled to face Marquardt in the evening's featured bout. Story, who is riding a six-fight octagon winning streak, recently notched the biggest win of his career with a UFC 130 victory over Thiago Alves

For more on UFC on Versus 4, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

LINKY: http://mmajunkie.com/news/24140/marquardt-scratched-from-ufc-on-versus-4-barry-kongo-now-main-story-gets-brenneman.mma

Seems nobody is saying why......at the moment

I'd guess he wasn't cleared due to health issues and the weight cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ah shít. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Announced that he wasn't medically cleared to fight :confused:

Devastator wrote: »
    Announced that he wasn't medically cleared to fight :confused:

Thought as much, must have been a tough cut, he had no fat on him at all at 185 so why he went to 170 fcuk knows

Disappointing but he maintains his future is still at 170,

http://twitpic.com/5gt9oz

Really, really looking forward to this now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Strange card really, I'm more interested in the preliminary card. Versus is going to splatter a million ad breaks all over the main card whereas the prelims will be nice and smooth. The main event is now just bizarre, it was bizarre as a co-main event already because either of them could be cut from the UFC with another loss.

Shame about Marquart though. I was expecting him to do something similar to Brian Stann by moving in down in weight and dominating opponents. It should be interesting now to see why exactly he wasn't allowed to fight.

http://www.tout.com/m/nsphwl

Dana says he'll never fight for the UFC again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Xlami wrote: »
    http://www.tout.com/m/nsphwl

Dana says he'll never fight for the UFC again.

:eek: Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

mod can merge thread, sorry didn't see it was posted in here!

• Advertisement

Wow, wonder what happened, Dana looked really really pissed

Advertisement