Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Cork have produced a lot of good u21's in the recent past and this has not been by accident. He did a great job to be fair to him.

Does he have the ability to take over the senior team one day? Hard to tell.
    A good question to be honest.

He has made mistakes but he has learned all the time.

Cork and rightly so will never go for an outside manager,so within Cork itself he definetly has the most proven record to a degree.Added the fact he has won Castlehaven a County title also.

When Counihan goes,he deserves to be considered.The question i would ask is their anyone else in Cork County that has done anything close to be considered a better candiate.

I dont think their is .On that basis he would deserve hes shot at title so to speak.Who ever gets the role should get only a two year term and then judged at the end of it.

On the Hurling front,Brian Murphy has been given the captains armband instead of Pa Cronin..That is a certain sign he wont start.

As i said last week,Im glad hes not starting if he was that sick. .Of course he is a huge loss but after pneoumina he would be mad to risk hes health.As important a game as it is,make no mistake about it,but nothing can be worth more than the price of ones health.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

In the paper today they are saying that pa might come off the bench at some stage,I was amazed to hear that he would be a sub considering how sick he was,fair play to him

mr bungle. wrote: »
    In the paper today they are saying that pa might come off the bench at some stage,I was amazed to hear that he would be a sub considering how sick he was,fair play to him

I knew last week that he would not start once i heard he was in hospital with pneoumina and the fact he was coughing blood up in a game.

The fact there even considering bringing him on,shows how much we depend on him and such is our lack of depth in the panel,made worse by the fact JBM dropped 3 players in crucial positions of the squad last week.It was awful timing when they surely knew he wouldnt be fit.

I think it is madness to have him on the bench.He has been ill for 3 weeks and wont even train til thursday.

He had said today in the paper that the heavy training brought it on.The body then needs a rest.Its not rocket science.

The fact hes immune system is already comprised and under stress,to be rushed back would be sheer madness in my view.

After any serious infection,even when your off the antibotics,there will still be bacteria left in he's system.Even a 20 minute spell of high intense activity is going to stress the body out.The last thing he needs or Cork need is to get a relapse after not fully recovering.

It was said in the paper yesterday that at last weeks press night he looked very weak.

The Guy needs to recover fully.It is likely Cork will loose even with him,so the fact he will be needed in the qualifers even more so,that should be the target for hes come back by management.

It is a risk not worth taking.Its not the case where he can just take a Lemsip,eat a few oranges,take a berocca and suddenly be full of beans come Sunday.

They say time is a great healer.None more so than when you are recovering from illness and in Cronins case he should be given more time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would much prefer for him to stay on the bench for the entire game. He shouldn't be called upon at all. That said, we are down to the bare bones, so he will probably get 20 odd mins.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I would much prefer for him to stay on the bench for the entire game. He shouldn't be called upon at all. That said, we are down to the bare bones, so he will probably get 20 odd mins.
    Id agree but the management did not help by dropping mannix,or both
    O Brien and Michael Walsh who can play wing back or midfield.
    Colm spillane injury is a huge blow too in terms of cover.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

All we need now is a few first half injuries and I'll have to tog out myself!

Saw this article in the paper-a great piece on Juliet Murphy.

Ladies game better thanks to Juliet Murphy

IN today’s celebrity-driven world, accolades and garlands are passed out far too easily, and any promising youngster showing any bit of talent is anointed as a star in the making before they’ve had a chance to achieve anything. But, despite everything, no substitutes have ever been found for effort and determination, with skill and hard work always winning out over talent alone. If any proof of that were required, just look at Juliet Murphy. The Donoughmore player announced her retirement last Friday, and it’s no exaggeration to say that the sport of ladies football will be poorer without her; at the same time, it is in a healthier position than it was when she started, and some of that increase in profile ismust be down to her.

Seven All-Ireland titles, six league medals, nineeight Munster wins, five All-Stars — the stats alone bear out what a colossus she has been, influencing a team sport in as much as one player can, but the drive and single-mindedness show that if you believe in yourself then anything is possible. Just in case there were doubts that her story is that of someone who was good at football and got lucky, her success in road bowling and basketball also show that a constant desire for improvement will win out. Having been told by a coach of an underage Irish basketball team that she had been lucky to make the cut, instead of wilting she used it as a motivation. “I remember thinking,” she said in an interview with Kieran Shannon two years ago, “‘You didn’t deserve this, you really need to work harder to justify this’. After that I just lived in the hall, doing all those lay ups and shots around the key. “I’ve always felt I’ve needed to try harder than anyone else to get anywhere, that I needed to do more than anyone else. I don’t think I ever felt I was good enough, so if you never feel you’re good enough you’re always going to try and be good enough.” The great players always come good on the biggest occasions, and Juliet always did that, but her greatness lay in consistently coming good, and never looking for universal adulation for doing so. One game stands out in my memory.

In 2011, Cork were seeking to regain the All-Ireland title that they had lost the previous year when Tyrone suckered them, but they looked to be in trouble against Dublin in a quarter-final in Birr. With 16 minutes left, Cork trailed by 3-10 to 2-7, and it was a massive ask for them to get anything from the game. It would have been easy to accept their fate, that five All-Irelands in-a-row was a great achievement but their era was over. Not a bit of it.

Cork came at Dublin in waves, Murphy’s surging running the standout memory, and her fifth point of the match capped the comeback, Cork having scored seven unanswered points to win by the minimum margin. Another All-Ireland followed as Monaghan were beaten in the final, and then last year Kerry were put to the sword, Murphy signing off on a winning note in a red jersey, the embodiment of the possibilities one can achieve by making what coach Éamonn Ryan calls “winning choices” rather than “sacrifices”.

Mary O’Connor, another ladies football great, said once that she used to get on the pitch 20 minutes before training to get a few shots in to find that Murphy had been there for the guts of an hour. She used to go on five-mile runs on top of all of the ‘normal’ training before she realised it was probably counter-productive.

She chose success and nothing was allowed to get in the way. It is a pity that she never got to play in Páirc Uí Chaoimh since lining out there in a Sciath na Scol game, but again it speaks volumes that something out of her control would be the biggest regret, as anything in her power she achieved. And, perhaps most importantly, she achieved it in the right manner. Yellow and red cards were non-existent, quite an achievement considering she played in the bearpit that was midfield. Cork will miss her, but like the sport itself, they will survive thanks largely to her. There are younger players on the team for whom she was a hero when they were growing up and they will carry on her good work. She leaves owing nobody, having done it all, proof that nice guys, or girls, can indeed finish first.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Id agree but the management did not help by dropping mannix,or both
    O Brien and Michael Walsh who can play wing back or midfield.
    Colm spillane injury is a huge blow too in terms of cover.

He out too? Ffs... Disastrous run of injuries!

Still though, if we: 1) Get our puck out strategy right and; 2) Stop Tony Kelly... I reckon we could very well do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Blue Magic wrote: »

Still though, if we: 1) Get our puck out strategy right and; 2) Stop Tony Kelly... I reckon we could very well do it!

So what do ye reckon in terms of a starting line up and the first few subs?

So what do ye reckon in terms of a starting line up and the first few subs?
    Its hard to tell what he will do to be honest.He started 6 debutants in 1999 so I would not be suprised if Harnedy starts.That is a move I would like to see.
    Its a big ask but is much better than other options .

The team he might go with,just a guess,Nash,Shane O Neill,Murphy,sullivan,a half back line of Mcdonnell,Joyce and Egan.

Midfield would be Kearney and Kenny.

Lehane,Cian Mac,Harnedy.
    O farrell ,Cussen and Horgan.

He could with Naughton midfield.
    Rob O Shea might come in to the fray.

Id say JBM will fancy Cork in a shootout going toe to toe with Clare.I cant see Cork out scoring them in such a game.

The subs bench will have Hartnett,Possibly Rob O shea,Moylan Michael O Sullivan,Killan Murphy ,and Eoin Keane and Jamie Coughlan and Patrick O Mahony.
    Thats just my guess.I could well be wrong.It certainly wouldnt be my team in some aeras bar Harnedy starting.

The bookies only have it as 1 point game.Clare have moved slightly as favourties from last week.There now 8/11.

I am searching hard for reasons to see why they feel it be that close.

They were saying in the paper Joyce wont be CB.That JBM doesnt fancy him there.Madness if true.The guy will be the future CB and needs games.
    Murphy at CB is not commanding enough and not good under the high ball.

Joyce has all the strengths to be a top CB.If kelly roams thats where is the Cork Half Forwards need to drop deep and pick Kelly up.Do not allow Joyce be marking two or three players running at him creating overlaps.

That is why as Limerick proved you need guys that can run and work hard all day in the half forward line.There is no point in having hurlers who wont show any desire to work hard.

I would have Murphy at Full back only for the fact he is our best option and there is no better with all the injuries.
    But i have said that at full back has hes flaws too.
    He doesnt win every ball in the air either.But with Killan Murphy and Sullivan as corner backs they will need to cover any breaking ball.

I would have O Neill,Joyce and Egan at half back.Midfield would be Kearney and Mcdonnell.

I would be brave and have Lehane,Michael Sullivan and Harnedy in the half forward line.
    Sullivan wont score much and can miss really bad scores,but he has a savage engine,will run all day long and will do a lot of unseen work.
    He marked Noel Mcgrath in 2011 and he did not score but he limited Mcgraths inflence at centre back he had to be moved to midfield.

Sullivan is very mobile and he will drag Bulger out from the Centre.
    He could also pick Kelly up when he drops deep.He is not bad under the high ball either.

When Cork upset the Odds in 99 against Clare JBM was brave and left guys like Alan Browne and Kieran Morrison on the bench,guys who had often flattered to decieve but would make a good impact as subs.

I hope lightening strikes twice.Go with youth,we have no other option.Dont go with guys that have failed us so many times in the past.

When Cork beat Clare in 99 Fergal Mcormack was the key.He limited Seanie Mcmahon influence on the game.Fergal was moving from left to right,he never became static.You could only truly see how much work he done by actually being in Thurles.The camera's done him a grave injustice.

He chased one dead end ball that was heading over the sideline before half time.No body went with him as they knew he was not a real scoring threat.What he done though was win a ball he had no right to win and delivered the ball in to the full forward line that Deano scored from.That was enough.More of the same Sunday please and we have a fighting chance.

Sullivan should have been used in the league.JBM definetly is the main man as surely Kieran kingston would be pushing O Sullivan.

Harnedy can be hit and miss but he had a superb season with UCC in the colledges,and was on fire in the club championship last week.He always shows a good work rate.

He works hard,is raw but a way better attuide than Naughton or Cussen.
    Harnedy played well for the intermediate team against tipp last year.He destroyed Kevin O Gorman who was the same O gorman that destroyed Cussen in the Munster Club Final.I rest my case.

A full forward line of Moylan,O Farell and very hesitantly I would have Horgan.
    But this guy should really be on the last saloon in fairness.

Coughlan and Cian Mac would be used as subs.Clare traditonally start slow.So by going with youth and guys that will work hard we could stay with them for the first half.

Then I would bring Cian Mac in.A guy that failed to be consisent and isnt mobile enough to last a full game on a hot day in thurles but as a sub could make an impact like last year against tipp.

I wouldnt even have Cussen or Naughton anywhere near the panel to be honest.

The team i picked has it risks but at least you have guys that will work hard and at least their something new that clare have not expierenced before.Clare know only too well what Naghton and Cussen can and more importantly can not do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

I would have thought:

Nash
    O'Neill, Murphy, O'Sullivan
    Kenny/McDonnell, Joyce, Egan
    Kearney, Naughton/Kenny/Coughlan
    Lehane, Cian Mac, Coughlan/Naughton/Harnedy
    Moylan, O'Farrell, Horgan

Personally, I'd have Kenny wing back and not midfield. Don't think he has the legs or speed for midfield anymore tbh... If they do go with him, McDonnell would be the best available to play at 5 instead.

Probably will be Naughton (or possibly Coughlan) to partner Kearney midfield. Would have a very athletic midfield in that pair but hard to know really what they'll go with.

5 of the 6 forwards for me pick themselves (on what's available). Cian Mac is the best we have at 11 with Cronin and Paudie Sull out. Jamie Coughlan would get my vote to complete that line with Lehane. Lack of an aerial threat there though but we can't go with Cussen - would be a shambolic call!

Moylan, O'Farrell and Horgan are a potentially lethal full forward line with the right ball played into them!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

On the Hurling front,Brian Murphy has been given the captains armband instead of Pa Cronin..That is a certain sign he wont start.

As i said last week,Im glad hes not starting if he was that sick. .Of course he is a huge loss but after pneoumina he would be mad to risk hes health.As important a game as it is,make no mistake about it,but nothing can be worth more than the price of ones health.[/QUOTE]When did the Cork hurling captain start wearing a captain's armband. I thought that only happens in soccer. Surely Cork are not going to be the first county to use a captain's armband for their teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

That is why as Limerick proved you need guys that can run and work hard all day in the half forward line.There is no point in having hurlers who wont show any desire to work hard.

He works hard,is raw but a way better attuide than Naughton or Cussen.
    Harnedy played well for the intermediate team against tipp last year.He destroyed Kevin O Gorman who was the same O gorman that destroyed Cussen in the Munster Club Final.I rest my case.

Limerick may have won but I dont think it had much to do with teh starting half forward line, each was comprehensively beaten by their opposite number, Tipps half back lines problem was they were hitting it off the preverbial brick wall with our disfunctioning forward unit.

Haven't seen much of Harnedy but I can tell you destroying Kevin O'Gorman does not exactly make him unique, O'Gorman is a very very poor FB and many Tipp followers can't understand how he has represented Tipp at Minor, U-21 and Intermediate - Thurles have been beaten three teams in this years Tipp championship and the opposition full forward has been MOTM in two of those games.

Is David Drake on the panel these times, was very impressed with him as a minor and he scored a few nice points against us in the U21 aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Puck outs will be crucial. In the relegation final, when Cronin eventually tired, Cork had no plan B with puck out after puck out being mopped up by the Care half back line helped by Galvin dropping deep.

I'm expecting Nash to have greater variety next Sunday, a good few short-medium range deliveries from Nash. If Cork can create one on ones and get the ball away before Clare swarm, it should mean quicker and better ball into the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Is David Drake on the panel these times, was very impressed with him as a minor and he scored a few nice points against us in the U21 aswell.

He is in the states for the summer afaik

Limerick may have won but I dont think it had much to do with teh starting half forward line, each was comprehensively beaten by their opposite number, Tipps half back lines problem was they were hitting it off the preverbial brick wall with our disfunctioning forward unit.

Haven't seen much of Harnedy but I can tell you destroying Kevin O'Gorman does not exactly make him unique, O'Gorman is a very very poor FB and many Tipp followers can't understand how he has represented Tipp at Minor, U-21 and Intermediate - Thurles have been beaten three teams in this years Tipp championship and the opposition full forward has been MOTM in two of those games.

I totally agree regarding O Gorman.That is my point though.Harnedy at least was better than him,yet O Gorman had Cussen in hes pocket all day long.

Is Harnedy the answer??? We dont know yet but he worth the risk more so than cussen.Harnedy would be our only other aerial threat bar Cian Mac.
    Cian Mac isnt mobile enough to work like a trojian in the half forward line for a full game of hurling.If we got a half out of him we would be doing well.

Indie. wrote: »
    He is in the states for the summer afaik
    Regarding Drake he is a fine hurler but very much along the lines of Kearney,Lehane etc.Very talented but a bit light and wont exactly win hes own ball either.

He was good for the U21s against Limerick in 2011 and then last year against Tipp in the first half,but has a tendency to go missing in physical tight games.

He is an excellent side line ball taker,saw him do it for CIT and the Cork Intermediates.The best I have seen since Cathal Casey in he's day.

He would be worth a place on the panel at least but you would coudnt really start him in the middle with Kearney.He is too much a hurler,not a grafter.
    Same in the forwards Cork have too many hurlers.We dont have the right balance.We need a Timmy Mac,Niall Mac or Mccormack type player.

I would have thought:

Nash
    O'Neill, Murphy, O'Sullivan
    Kenny/McDonnell, Joyce, Egan
    Kearney, Naughton/Kenny/Coughlan
    Lehane, Cian Mac, Coughlan/Naughton/Harnedy
    Moylan, O'Farrell, Horgan

Personally, I'd have Kenny wing back and not midfield. Don't think he has the legs or speed for midfield anymore tbh... If they do go with him, McDonnell would be the best available to play at 5 instead.

Probably will be Naughton (or possibly Coughlan) to partner Kearney midfield. Would have a very athletic midfield in that pair but hard to know really what they'll go with.

5 of the 6 forwards for me pick themselves (on what's available). Cian Mac is the best we have at 11 with Cronin and Paudie Sull out. Jamie Coughlan would get my vote to complete that line with Lehane. Lack of an aerial threat there though but we can't go with Cussen - would be a shambolic call!

Moylan, O'Farrell and Horgan are a potentially lethal full forward line with the right ball played into them!

it is hard to know what he will go with.Kenny as proved last year is not a wing back.Even in hes younger days he was moved out there as he could not win the high ball.

I agree he does not have the legs any more.
    Id say he will start though.

Naughton and Kearney at midfield looks super on paper.But then Naughton as we know wont get stuck in.

I said it back in January he is exactly like Seamus Callinan of Tipp.Callilan proved he's worth against Limerick.
    Fine in a loose open game but when the crunch comes he lacks that bit of steel.How many times are we waiting for him to deliver.

He will have a great game for Newtown or Cork in a league game bar anyone than KK,looks unreal.That is he's comfort zone though.Put him in to a tough physical contest and he does not want to know.

The team is being announced tonight.It will tell us a lot about Sunday.
    Unless and I Doubt it,JBM picks a dummy team.

Im delighted that Liam O Neill is bringing in sanctions to managers that do it.Counihan will have to cop on,Im sure the County board wont want to pay any fines,all money needed for the Pairc project.

Im delighted that Liam O Neill is bringing in sanctions to managers that do it.Counihan will have to cop on,Im sure the County board wont want to pay any fines,all money needed for the Pairc project.

O'Neill has stated that when it comes up dfor discussion he will be pushing for personal sanctions against the manager and not fines for already broke county boards, have to say I agree with him, a couple of matches in the stand might give a few of them the time they obviously need to finalise their starting fifteens.

• Advertisement

O'Neill has stated that when it comes up dfor discussion he will be pushing for personal sanctions against the manager and not fines for already broke county boards, have to say I agree with him, a couple of matches in the stand might give a few of them the time they obviously need to finalise their starting fifteens.

Counties like Cork should be fined.As much the Cork county board like to play the poor mouth they are one of the healthiest countys financially around at the moment.Im nt sure time in the stands alone would stop CC.

Counties like Cork should be fined.As much the Cork county board like to play the poor mouth they are one of the healthiest countys financially around at the moment.Im nt sure time in the stands alone would stop CC.

But you can't have one rule for some and different for others, it has to be a catch all punishment.

Anyway that will all be dealt with, as you say its just good to see that they do intend on taking action.

Regarding tickets for Sunday,
    does anyone know if the uncovered stand is unreserved seating, i.e first come first served.

I think it was that way for the Tipp V Limerick game.
    Be no harm to know in advance

Hidalgo wrote: »
    does anyone know if the uncovered stand is unreserved seating, i.e first come first served.

Don't know about this week but can confirm it was indeed that way for the Tipp V Limerick game.

This is going to be difficult to police, fair enough if a manger makes a raft of changes like Liam Dunne did for the drawn Wexford V Dublin game.
    But what happens if a manger only make one or 2 changes?
    All he has to do then is claim that he named a player who was carrying a knock, said player failed a late fitness test therefore the manager was forced into a change.

I hope O Neill isn't planning on the naming of teams being his legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

I hope O Neill isn't planning on the naming of teams being his legacy

Wouldn't be much of a legacy if that was the case.

Personally don't find it to be much of a big deal. Although I know it irks some lads!

Indie. wrote: »
    Wouldn't be much of a legacy if that was the case.

Personally don't find it to be much of a big deal. Although I know it irks some lads!

Agreed, its a nuisance not much more, the GAA has far bigger problems that need solving in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4 1stDateNerves

Hi Hidalgo...Uncovered stand tickets are €25 and it is unreserved seating so you can sit where you want...I'm going for this option myself, would normally go to the terrace (only €15) for the banter but only one terrace open on Sunday AFAIK (same as Tipp v Limerick) so might be a bit crowded...

Hi Hidalgo...Uncovered stand tickets are €25 and it is unreserved seating so you can sit where you want...I'm going for this option myself, would normally go to the terrace (only €15) for the banter but only one terrace open on Sunday AFAIK (same as Tipp v Limerick) so might be a bit crowded...

Cheers, I was hoping it would be the same as the Tipp V Limerick game.
    Super view from the uncovered stand in fairness and it shouldn't rain so a far better option than the Mackey.

• Advertisement

Cheers, I was hoping it would be the same as the Tipp V Limerick game.
    Super view from the uncovered stand in fairness and it shouldn't rain so a far better option than the Mackey.

tbf sitting on a row of hot buring coals with a poker up your ho*e would be a better option than the Mackey ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement