Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

James Loughrey is meant to be a likely starter Sat night.It will be interesting to see the make up of the half back line.
    Cadogan is out.
    This game is not on being shown on tv.
    I presume it is because it clashes with the Champions League Final.
    Still it is a joke considering the games have always been close between Cork and Limerick,that its not on tv.

The Cork Junior Football team to play Limerick Junior Footballers on Saturday is:

1. Seán Mellett Carrigaline
    2. A.J O'Connor Kiskeam
    3.Eoin O'Mahony Macroom
    4.Kevin Harrington Bantry
    5.Richard O' Sullivan Kinsale
    6. Rory O'Sullivan Arigeen Rangers
    7.Sean Kiely Macroom 
    8. Ruairi Deane Bantry Blues
    9. Michael O' Laoire Naomh Abán
    10. Cathal Vaughan Uibh Laoire
    11. Andrew O' Brien Kildorrey
    12.Colm O' Driscoll Tadhg MacCarthaigh
     13.Eoghan Buckley St Michaels
     14. Fiachra Lynch Valley Rovers
    15. David Harrington  Adrigole
     Subs
    16. David Hanrahan Douglas
    17. Peter Daly St. Mary's
    18. John Cronin Lisgoold
    19. Kevin Barrett Kilmurry
    20. Niall McCarthy Kinsale
    21. Kevin O'Driscoll Tadgh MacCarthaigh
    22. Seamus Hickey Rockchapel
    23. Mark Sugrue Bandon
    24. Michael Vaughan Millstreet 

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

What team do you expect to see/would like to see for Saturday night?

Who will ye be missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Kissane and cahalane corner backs

Fireball07 wrote: »
    What team do you expect to see/would like to see for Saturday night?

Who will ye be missing?
    The team will be named tommorrow eveing.Bar Cadogan, it look's like a full panel to pick from,bar Colm O Neill who is a long term absentee.Paddy Kelly will probably get a bit of game time,he is not at full fitness yet.
    Ciaran Sheehan and Daniel Goulding have both been back with the clubs.
    The big problem Cork have is a lack of cover at corner back.Id say Cahalane will start,and with Jamie Sullivan and Shields ,all three will interchange depending on the flow of the game.
    I would prefer to see Shields on Ger Collins.He really is the main danger man.Mark him and I cant see Limerick getting goals,which they will need if their going to win.
    Limerick have struggled in Div 4 to get goals,bar two games,against a strong Cork Full back line,that is now strengthened by Cork playing a sweeper in defense,with Canty covering deep from midfield,Limerick will struggle to get goals.
    If ye get one goal ye will have done very well.
    Cork with the new system their playing,wont score much either.This will be low scoring ,and a dour physical battle,id expect.Cork are a crazy price in the bookies at 1/8.They were 1/12.
    Limerick love the underdog role,and wont fear Cork at all,and never been demolished by Cork.
    It will be close as Limerick will rise for this game,and Cork as only Cork do,can not handle being hot favourites.
    Cork will make it diffcult for themselves but have too much forward power and a stronger bench to scrape through.
    Both defences will have about 12 men behind the ball,add in the fact Cork are still at a crossroads,the players have it inbred in to them to go lateral across the field,with slow predictable handpasses,but now their trying to defend in numbers so they can create turnovers and then get fast quick ball to feed the full forward line.
    Out with the old and in with the new is what their trying to do,but the system really only came in to play against tyrone and Donegal in the league but then due to injuries and players unavailble,Cork have lost momentum and it will take a few more games to fine tune it.
    Also with Cuthbert and Ronan Mccarthy as two new selectors,I feel they are still trying to find the best players suited to the new style,particulary at half back.
    The half back line is competive,but i wouldnt be fooled in to thinking that we have real strength in depth there now.In time we may well have.
    Kissane will probably start,a favourite under Counhian.A good,honest athletic player,and he's commitment cannot be faulted but very limited inmy own opinion.
    He does not have the kick passing skills or the speed of thought or the ability to see a pass to suit the blanket system where you need to move the ball fast from half back.He typifes the old system of lateral play across the field.A bit like a game of Sevens Rubgy.
    Keep passing til space opens up.
    But that wont happen against massed defences of 12 men,where teams will slow up play as much as possible.
    He is not the only one to be fair,Canty has the same tendency but Canty is a better defender,and will be playing a different role this year.
    Kissane,is weak in defence against fast skilful forwards.Clare exposed him last year,I felt in the Munster final.
    The two Clancys are options but Tom Clancy from the U21 team missed out on most of the league due to the U21s run to the final.
    Noel O leary is tough and abrasive and a good defender but him and kissane in the same line wont do.
    If CC is to choose between the two id say he will go with Kissane.
    James Loughrey,ex Antrim.player is meant to be a good bet to start Saturday.
    I only saw him in one game for Cork against Mayo,but he is highly rated in Antrim and made the Ulster team which is some achievment considering the strength up their at half back.
    He is meant to very fast,attack minded,can score points and goals and a good kick passer.
    Cahalane probably would have been in line to start at half back bar Cadogan getting injured.
    It is likely he will be needed in the full back line.It is very hard to predict what half back line will start.
    Even when the team is announced tommorrow we still wont know.
    The Junior team has Sean Kiely starting.
    A really good footballer that never got a decent run of games under CC.
    It will be interesting to watch the form of Rory O Sullivan at centre back.A highly rated U21 player last year,but a cruciate injury ended the season for him.
    CC has this really frustrating habit of picking dummy teams.It really pisses me off,after spending good money on a programme to find that the team he picked doesn't start.
    It will be 7 O clock before we know on Saturday who actually starts.
    Midfield will be Canty and Walsh.
    Canty to hold the line,while Walsh to drive through and either create or take a score.
    The forwards is impossible to pick with Donnacha O Connor,Sheehan,Collins,Goulding,Gould,Andrew O Sullivan,Sheehan,Barry O Driscoll,Brian Hurley,Paul Kerrigan and Mark Collins all in contention.
    John O Rourke was in their plans but again due to involvement with the U21 team has lost ground.
    The only certain starters would be Sheehan,Goulding,Donnach O Connor(but where??at 11 or 14???) and possibly Collins.If Collins does not start Kelly will.
    They will be listed as a forward but really as a centre back.A first reciever,start the attack from inside their own half.
    Both are excellent footballers,and both can kick quailty ball.
    Who will make up the other two positions is hard to call.I have a feeling CC will go for Fintan Gould.
    Like Kissane ,Gould is a CC favourite.
    To me he is or never will be a quailty forward.He takes too long on the ball near goal and lacks self belief and conviction in big games.
    Midfield or Half back even,I would feel he would be better suited.
    Andrew O Sullivan could start,as a forward but again in a defensive role.Like Paul Flynn of Dublin does.
    The problem is O Sullivan is no where near as good enough as Flynn,he is limited,and will be exposed in big games.
    With CC though who knows,he may start.
    Cork are looking for forwards with a good workrate and guys who can defend,a copy of Donegal's system
    Thats all grand to a degree but a forward still has to be able to score.
    Copying Donegal and Dublins system on it's own simply wont work.You got to better it.Thats why guys like O Sullivan and Gould simply wont cut it at the top level.
    Kelly,Collins,O Rourke are all able to perform similar roles but can also score and are more natural footballers than O Sullivan for example.Looking at the Junior team for instance,Fiactra lynch who is back from abroad would be a better option.
    Lynch coudnt cut it before at Intercounty but he is better than O Sullivan.
    My own preference for Saturday would be Collins,DOC,Sheehan,Goulding,Barry O Driscoll,and Brian Hurley.
    Cork will need to have a goal threat to win the all ireland.
    With Goulding,O Driscoll,and Hurley they have.
    That line may and probably will change if O Driscoll doesnt perform.
    He has had a mixed league.But I would give him two more games to prove himself.
    He has massive potential but has not got a decent run of games to settle in compared to other Cork players who can have one poor game after another and still start.For some it is hard to get on the Cork team,but for others it is hard to get of it.
    Brian Hurley has to start.He has been superb in the U21s,for Castlehaven and has the temperament to succeed.
    Practially a passenger in the first half of the U21 final he still kept he's head and was superb in the second half.
    He works extremely hard off the ball and is always back in defence.
    Kerrigan would be better suited as a sub,when Cork have a lead,and Limerick are chasing the game,the open space would suit he's running game.
    It will be interesting to see who starts but Cuthbert is a huge fan of Hurley with he's input in the team it could work in he's favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Kerrigan is an automatic starter, the only fully fit experienced forward we have. The rest have been carrying injuries throughout the league,

Jamie o'sullivan injured i think, so, here goes a guess.

Halloran
    Kissane Shields Cahalane
    O'Leary Canty Loughrea
    O'Connor Walsh
    Kerrigan O'Neill Collins
    Goulding O'Connor Hurley

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Very interesting team, could still see it changing of course, most likely a sort of a change around midfield or the backs. Cahalane or Shields could push out, Canty could be either in Midfield or full-back, Pierce O Neill could easily be in the half-forwards or replaced by someone on the bench.

Looking forward to seeing what Brian Hurley can do in Senior, gutsy call by CC giving him full-forward and leaving someone like Donnacha on the bench. Also like the look of both Sheehan and Goulding on the same side if they are back to full fitness and form.

1. Ken O'Halloran
    Bishopstown
    2. Eoin Cadogan 3. Michael Shields 4. Damien Cahalane
    Douglas St. Finbarr's Castlehaven

5. Paudie Kissane 6. Graham Canty 7. Tomás Clancy
    Clyda Rovers Bantry Blues Fermoy

8. Aidan Walsh 9. Pearse O'Neill
    Kanturk Aghada

10. Ciaran Sheehan 11. Patrick Kelly 12. John O'Rourke
    Eire Og Ballincollig Carbery Rangers

13. Daniel Goulding 14. Brian Hurley 15. Paul Kerrigan
    Eire Og Castlehaven Nemo Rangers

Subs
    16 David Lordan Ballincollig
    17 John McLoughlin Kanturk
    18 Noel O'Leary Cill na Martra
    19 James Loughrey Mallow
    20 Alan O'Connor St. Colum's
    21 Andrew O'Sullivan Castletownbere
    22 James Fitzpatrick Carbery Rangers
    23. Fintan Goold Macroom
    24 Liam Shorten Beal Atha'n Ghaorthaidh
    25 Mark Collins Castlehaven
    26. Donncha O'Connor Ballydesmond

Very interesting team, could still see it changing of course, most likely a sort of a change around midfield or the backs. Cahalane or Shields could push out, Canty could be either in Midfield or full-back, Pierce O Neill could easily be in the half-forwards or replaced by someone on the bench.

Looking forward to seeing what Brian Hurley can do in Senior, gutsy call by CC giving him full-forward and leaving someone like Donnacha on the bench. Also like the look of both Sheehan and Goulding on the same side if they are back to full fitness and form.

1. Ken O'Halloran
    Bishopstown

Kanturk Aghada

Subs
    19 James Loughrey Mallow
    23. Fintan Goold Macroom
    24 Liam Shorten Beal Atha'n Ghaorthaidh
    26. Donncha O'Connor Ballydesmond

corcaigh07 wrote: »

1. Ken O'Halloran
    Bishopstown

Kanturk Aghada

Subs
    19 James Loughrey Mallow
    23. Fintan Goold Macroom
    24 Liam Shorten Beal Atha'n Ghaorthaid
    26. Donncha O'Connor Ballydesmond[/
    I'd say that team won't start,it is another dummy team.A joke to be honest that we still can not name a team and stick with it on a Thursday night.
    I hope that team does not start.Canty and Kissane are the same old half back line,far too slow and ponderous and while both are athletes they are not skilful footballers that can break down a blanket defence.Their first instinct is to hand pass rather than kick.No good at half back.Canty at midfield in a defensive role would be better.
    Pearse at midfield would be a dreadful choice.He likes to run through the centre but so does Walsh,which means you have two runners but they wont compliment each other.
    Pearse can not defend so Canty i presume will be in midfield,as he can hold the aera and I think midfield in that role plays to Cantys strengths rather than at Centre back where he's weakness is exposed.
    Id say Collins will start instead of kelly.
    Either one can do a good job to be honest.
    I would not mind O Rourke getting a chance but I would say Gould will start.
    Unlike Goulding and Sheehan ,who have not been out for as long,Kelly will still be short on match fitness.
    I'd say O Leary will start at corner back with Jamie Sul out.
    Shields and Cahalane I would think will stay put.There is no way he will push shields to CB.
    O'leary played corner back last year against Donegal and done okay.
    He is a better option than Kissane at corner back who would be destroyed by Ger Collins like Danny Hughes roasted him against Down in 2010.
    Id say Loughrey is a definite starter.

What suprises me is Barry O Driscoll has been dropped completely from the panel.
    If he is not injured it is a dreadful call.
    Shorten,O Sullivan,are just average footballers that at best would survive at Junior level.
    Outside of Hurley and Goulding ,Cork do not have another goal threat.O Driscoll is a goal poacher.
    Typical,some Cork forwards and players get game after game yet O Driscoll like Sean Kiely at half back and Eoin Cotter do not get a fair crack and are dropped.
    Hurley deserves the chance,and i do not feel its a brave call.I feel it is rather a logical astute call.
    Bravery is when there is a huge risk involved.With Hurley I feel there is no great risk,he needs expierence and that can only be got by playing.The lads form has been superb.Remember Colm O Neill started in 09 without any League games.Hurley could be a revelation.Whatever happens Saturday he has to start the next game.

Cork won an all ireland with powerful athletic players who were superb at their style of play,but the game has evolved and now you need players that can kick pass fast accurate ball but also have the mind to do this.
    Alan O Connor,Kissane,Pearse O Neill,Canty as a half back have only one style of play and it would be cruel to expect them to play Corks new style when there limitations would expose them.
    To beat the blanket defence the first and crucial step is to pick the correct players in the correct positions ,otherwise the system is beaten before it has even started.
    As impact subs O Connor,and O Neill and Kissane have roles to play,when cork are defending a lead,their ideal to keep ball and strong enough to hold on to it.But not suited to a fast counter attacking game that Cork want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Great to see Paddy Kelly back. Such a brilliant, underrated player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Surprised F.Goold has been dropped. Thought he was Corks best player against Killarney and was impressive for Macroom in championship a few weeks back.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Surprised F.Goold has been dropped. Thought he was Corks best player against Killarney and was impressive for Macroom in championship a few weeks back.

could still squeeze on the team fairly easily

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    could still squeeze on the team fairly easily
    As a forward he has too often flattered to decieve in big games and if Cork had a full pick to choose from their are better forward options.Against Mayo in 2011 he missed at least two good goal chances.He has the talent but lacks the temperament in big close games .
    I would not read too much in to playing well for Macroom.Eoin O Mahony proved that,looks great in that comfort Zone but play for Cork at senior and he was clearly out of he's depth.
    Gould has been around since 2005 and i think it is fair to say he is like Naughton in the hurling,blessed with talent but clearly lacking in temperament.
    I would not suprised to see him start as CC is a fan ,but rumour has it the 6 forwards,O Rourke and Kelly will start.
    Im suprised Kelly is fit enough.
    Loughrey is nailed on to start,and word today is Kissane will indeed start Corner back and O Neill at midfield.
    If thats happens their bad calls.Kissane at Corner back needs to be covered well.
    O Neill at midfield slows down any hope at all of fast ball and will run just in to dead ends.
    The bookies may be right but a 7 point handicap for a Cork win is a bit optimstic going on previous games between the two teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sounds like a dire affair in limerick. Job done by half time, Limerick will be dissapointed in their effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

18 point win for Cork it's not that long ago that Limerick brought Cork to extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

SeaFields wrote: »
    Sounds like a dire affair in limerick. Job done by half time, Limerick will be dissapointed in their effort.

What effort?!

If there was an effort there tonight from them, I certainly couldn't see it. A lack of talent I can forgive, a lack of application I cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭zetecescort

good run out for Cork, and strange to be calling a championship game just a run out. Important for the U21s to get gametime, likewise lads like Pa Kelly and Donnacha coming back from injuries. By 103fm Loughrey could turn out to be a great addition to the squad.

grenache wrote: »
    What effort?!

If there was an effort there tonight from them, I certainly couldn't see it. A lack of talent I can forgive, a lack of application I cannot.

I agree,their was no intensity tonight from limerick,half hearted tackling,unusally they did not play to any system and the 18 point win not only shocked Limerick fans but a lot of Cork fans were suprised by that.
    This would of been a weaker Cork team compared to 2010 with Cadogan,Colm O Neill out and also the fact other players were injured combined with so many debutants and those that did play were just recovering from injuries.
    I did not expect Limerick would beat us but i really thought they would push Cork to the limit.
    Cork could have two goals inside 20 minutes,Limerick never got stuck in.
    The low attendance did not help limerick as the atmosphere was no where as tense or hostile as 2010 and the Limerick players usually feed off that and spark in to life.Having said that ,clearly something was not right with them as their not that bad.
    Always good to win and espiceally in Limerick which is not a happy hunting ground for Cork but I wouldnt take too much from the game in that Limerick allowed us play and it was very easy for Cork.A hard fought win would serve us better in the long run.
    Its unlikely Clare will test us,in Ennis it may be closer than last years Munster Final,but realistically we are heading to Killarney undercooked in a way.
    Hopefully Kerry will be in the same boat after tommorrows game.
    Pearse O Neill took hes goal well but in fairness he just waltzed through open space.I still woudnt think he is an option against tougher teams.
    The half back line while not tested at least at times showed more of a tendency to deliver quicker ball.
    Cahalane was very good as was Loughrey and Clancy.It looks much more energtic than last years one but again it will be tested more defensively later on in the year.
    Cadogan,Jamie Sul when their back Cork should be stronger and it will allow canty at midfield.
    Hurley has the class and well able for this level.
    He will never get 4 or 5 points in every game but the ability to get a goal a game is what Cork need.He is a goal poacher as proved by the goal tonight.
    He always seems to be in the right place at the right time.
    A goal against Clare would be ideal for he's confidence heading to Killarney.
    I remember 3 years ago one of the Limerick subs ,i think it was Joy was barely on the field when he went straight for Canty,and physically let him know he was there.That intensity that was evident in every single limerick player that night was clearly lacking tonight,so it is hard to know how good Cork were or how good we can be based on that game alone.
    Limerick are not that bad and certainly cant get any worse and now that people will right them off and they will be criticised,you would expect a reaction from them.
    A kind draw to get the momentum back, and you woudnt rule out a big perferomance down the line from them.
    For Cork now ,the biggest challenge is to stay injury free and get Cadogan ,Jamie Sul,and Walsh fit for Killarney.
    If Cork are to have any chance those 3 are vital to our cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

I was thinking about going down to the Gaelic Grounds yesterday evening but thankfully an early morning shift at work stopped that luckily! I'm astonished really that we beat Limerick by 18 points. I work in West Limerick and in this football stronghold the vibes were not good from the Limerick support but never did i think they'd be hammered tonight! Listening to the radio it seems Limerick were disjointed and totally out of sorts.

Regardless of how poor Limerick were 3-17 is good scoring from a Cork team minus our main scorer Colm O'Neil yet they still managed to hit 16 wides also! Good to see the young lads getting a run out and by the radio Cahalane and Hurley played well enough. Bigger and sterner tests lie ahead but a good start to the campaign and this big win can only give the whole team a boost and a spurt of confidence.

Donal OG Cusack makes hes Sunday Game debut tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Donal OG Cusack makes hes Sunday Game debut tonight.

I wouldn't think Cusack and Eddie Brennan are the best of pals. :-)

Amprodude wrote: »
    I wouldn't think Cusack and Eddie Brennan are the best of pals. :-)

ha ha yeah a bit like chalk and cheese.
    I did not see Eddie rushing in to lavish praise on him like Sheedy did.
    All in all at the end of the day Im sure theres probably a healthy respect their between the two to be fair,there both retired now so their outlooks have changed since they were playing.
    Speaking of the Sunday game it was an excellent clip from the 1990 Cork ambushing Tipp in the Munster final "Donkies dont win derbys" Game.
    Seeing Mark Foley and Kevin Hennesey use their height is what Cussen should being doing but very unlikely going on past form.

A big weekend for Cork hurling even though none of the Intercounty teams are involved.
    The U21 games between Limerick and Tipp and the senior game between Clare and waterford ,Cork will play the winners of these games.The U21 team would have a home draw if it was Limerick while Cork Im sure would prefer waterford in Thurles than Clare in the Gaelic Grounds in the senior game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Castlehaven beat nemo last night 4:10 to 1:12. Haven played all the second half wirh 14 men. Some massive performances from the younger haven player.

Castlehaven beat nemo last night 4:10 to 1:12. Haven played all the second half wirh 14 men. Some massive performances from the younger haven player.
    What did Hurley get???how did Collins and Cahalane do??where did Cahalane play.
    Barry O Driscoll for Nemo,and good???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

What did Hurley get???how did Collins and Cahalane do??where did Cahalane play.
    Barry O Driscoll for Nemo,and good???

Hurley got 2-5, (1 penalty), as was written in a paper today, "he was unmarkable". Mark collins played midfield and had a great game, especially after his mid field parter was sent off just before half time. Damien Cahalane played center back and controled everything from there. He drove forward, covered back, fielded some great ball, and picked out the forwards with some great long passes.
    The score was slightly flattering to the haven but fully deserved the win.
    Michael Hurley came on with 20 mins left and scored 1-1. All 4 hurley brothers were playing last night

Hurley got 2-5, (1 penalty), as was written in a paper today, "he was unmarkable". Mark collins played midfield and had a great game, especially after his mid field parter was sent off just before half time. Damien Cahalane played center back and controled everything from there. He drove forward, covered back, fielded some great ball, and picked out the forwards with some great long passes.
    The score was slightly flattering to the haven but fully deserved the win.
    Michael Hurley came on with 20 mins left and scored 1-1. All 4 hurley brothers were playing last night
    Thanks for that.Jesus that is sum scoring even in a Club game.To get that against Nemo is top form in fairness.The guy has it all,strength,pace,athletisim but most important of all, an excellent attuide and temperament to go with it.
    He's form all year has been outstanding.I said last week I expected him to do well against Clare ,and another goal would be ideal for the Kerry game.He has never feared Kerry at minor or U21,a bit like Colm O Neill and Goulding,always plays well in those games.
    Good to hear Collins done well.A very talented footballer.
    Cahalane is a man for the big occasion.Great to hear he was at CB and played well.Himself and Loughrey could have a huge bearing on beating Kerry.

Cahalane has a big game Sunday in the Hurling,against the Glen.
    He will surely man mark Horgan.After last years great display on him he has nothing to fear.
    Sundays game should really be a test of Horgans temperament.Will he go missing or will he actually get stuck in.
    A player like him should really be making a mark at club level like Hurley has done.Cahalane may be short on hurling fitness but has a much better attuide than Horgan.It should be interesting.
    If Horgan can't put in consistent displays at Club level ,something he has failed in the past ,he should be not starting for Cork.
    Hopefully he will play well as Cork need him,but only if the attuide is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Any reports from the hurling matches last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Sounded like Erins Own/piarsaigh was a good game according to reports on the radio, Blackrock had a good win against Killeagh, there were some huge scores ut u in some of the intermediate matches.

• Advertisement

Clare it is,as most expected it would be,in the semi final.
    It is going to be a huge ask for Cork to win.The Clare half back line as they have done against us twice,controlled the second half.
    Thats where our problems will start.Our weakest line,no ball winners ,if Cronin is midfield,we will be starved of possession in our full forward line.As lethal as it can be it needs a supply of ball.
    Paudie Sullivan ,a man for the big games is a huge loss.
    Our defence will be under immense pressure,due to Clare launching attack after attack on our defence.
    Clare proved that if youre good enough your age doesnt matter,and youth is the way to go.They never panic,when their behind,and after getting their first win in 5 years,they will get better.The fact they handled the favourites tag will help them for our game.
    For Cork to have any chance,they got to pick players that will cover every blade of thurles,put and take the hits and have a massive workrate.They have the talent in the full forward line,but unless they match Clare with intensity and workrate it means nothing.JBM has to pick the right team and cant afford any passengers.If he doesnt do that,their beaten before they take the field.
    When the team is picked ,we will know if we have any chance.Colm Spillane should start for starters.Clare have so much pace,Kenny or White wont do.
    Unfortunately though ,i feel he will start one of them.He will also probably start Cussen.
    Enough said.Galway are Corks final opponents in a challenge match in around two weeks.They picked a full strength team that drew with Tipp last week in a challenge match.I hope they pick a full strength side for our game and throw the kitchen sink at us.We need a tougher test,than what Limerick and Tipp gave us in the last two challenges matches.
    Particulary the Tipp game,there defence was no where near first choice and made some of our players look better than they are.
    Cork already have problems to solve,but were going in undercooked as well,which is one problem the management cant be faulted for.Luck of the draw.
    We would have rathered a first round match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement