Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I think it would be wrong to parachute Sheehan in at this stage - I don't mind him playing at training games but to go into the match day 25 would leave a sour taste I think.

I haven't been at all impressed with Joyce this year at centre back, I'd like to see Kenny back in instead of him.

Read Brennan's piece - you didn't need to be at the game to see Cronin's runs being blocked - I mentioned it previously on here how cute Clare were to work on the Cork puckout, and make those runs. Its inches again, and those little things upset the Cork forwards.

Thinking back, if Cork thought Clare were going to use a sweeper, then why plan to have all the puckouts going long? Short options would be considered - its almost like that because Clare went orthodox, Cork panicked - Nash, as intelligent a fella as he is could see they were getting cleaned out in the aerial battle, JBM should have seen it, but still went long all the time. Even hitting his own 65, and a half back would have been a better option, I think Kenny would have given him that option.

I think Cork have the more room to improve over Clare - do Clare go back to a sweeper and prevent the goals, or stay orthodox. A lot more of the Cork lads played poorly than the Clare lads, but were also made to look poor by great tactics by Clare, like the running across the forwards for the puckouts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I think it would be wrong to parachute Sheehan in at this stage - I don't mind him playing at training games but to go into the match day 25 would leave a sour taste I think.

I haven't been at all impressed with Joyce this year at centre back, I'd like to see Kenny back in instead of him.

Read Brennan's piece - you didn't need to be at the game to see Cronin's runs being blocked - I mentioned it previously on here how cute Clare were to work on the Cork puckout, and make those runs. Its inches again, and those little things upset the Cork forwards.

Thinking back, if Cork thought Clare were going to use a sweeper, then why plan to have all the puckouts going long? Short options would be considered - its almost like that because Clare went orthodox, Cork panicked - Nash, as intelligent a fella as he is could see they were getting cleaned out in the aerial battle, JBM should have seen it, but still went long all the time. Even hitting his own 65, and a half back would have been a better option, I think Kenny would have given him that option.

I think Cork have the more room to improve over Clare - do Clare go back to a sweeper and prevent the goals, or stay orthodox. A lot more of the Cork lads played poorly than the Clare lads, but were also made to look poor by great tactics by Clare, like the running across the forwards for the puckouts

It depends at whos expense though.Cussen or naughton i will gaurantee you wnt be in an asses roar next year this panel.So at their expense is not a real problem.

Jbm dropped cusack.after injury ,coleman gardiner niall mac etc,and he managed to keep the morale together.

I agree with others,but sheehan may nt have a bad effect,and he never said a no before.I wouldnt have a problem if it was replace the right people and sheehan continued next year .

Cork having kenny at cb,would be a dissaster.Against the fastest team in ireland outside ourselves, kenny would be out run.He wasnt good enough as a five under o grady,he has not improved that side of hes game ten years on ,to be a centre back.Conlon would destroy him.

He cant catch a ball in the air,and isnt dominant enough.Joyce done very well all year,considering he alternated between cb and midfield.Also he can catch ball in the air,and physical,kenny aint.

Joyce needs to be commanding i agree,but he needs games their to settle.

If cork want to help him,mcloughin could slot in their,and it would help lorchan too as midfield was so congested he wasnt
    physical enough to compete.

Corks best half back line display all year was in knowlan park with lorchan and joyce side by side.

Kenny as a sub is fine ,but hes greatest asset he lost thats hes pace.What is worse is he slow now also at this pace.

Theres talk cronin at midfield.A dissaster waiting to happen.He would bring physicality,but then clare would outrun him and he aint mobile to track back.

The last thing cork nd is to go overboard in physicality and loose pace and mobilty,and if they go for cronin at mf,with kenny at cb,and cian at 11 that will happen.

Coughlan they say could be dropped,and lehane back to corner forward where he was a dissaster against limerick confined in their .

I would drop mcdonnell,murphy at corner back,then lorchan at five with Joyce and Egan,coughlan with kearney in the middle,harnedy,cronin,lehane ,with horgan,moylan ,and at a stretch luke one last chance.Theres a big goal threat their

Id start coughlan, midfield.He didnt get any supply the last day,but can play midfield,has the pace,touch,and tenacious to do a job.He needs to be more involved,but cf where he plays in sum part games,aint suiting him.

The lad was gutted the last day.Mark my words,if he starts,a huge game in him.A man for the big day.Man of the match i felt a t 19 in a senior county final, and in the munster u21 final against limk,a poor ist half,he was unmarkable in the second.

A super game against waterford as a last min starter in last year q final.

He can score long range points,and is a guy that needs to be marked it will draw clare out.He can ,as has the engine and pace to be like kelly for clare in that role.

Mcdonnell played okay last day,but murphy ,o neill,and sullivan are more solid.

Cian done v good,but i am doubtful can he perform a high tempo game,and is he mobile to play a full seventy.A better sub.

With harnedy and cronin we have enough physicality their.The key is dont bunch,spread out ,as much as they can.

They wnt allow clare bully them either.

Nash had no movement at all to aim for .And also when kearney fumbled a short puckout before h time,gave away a soft score after a perfect pass from nash,he and understanably so lost confidence in peristing with this ,and went for safety.

Nash needs hes team mates to show for and protect possesion much better on sat.

I expect them to do just that.

CIAN WILL START IN ALL-IRELAND FINAL REPLAY
    CIAN WILL START IN ALL-IRELAND FINAL REPLAY

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2013
    CIAN McCARTHY is set to start the All-Ireland final replay to add physicality to the Cork half-forward line.
    McCarthy is likely to be deployed at number 11 in Croke Park at 5pm on Saturday, flanked by Seamus Harnedy and Pa Cronin, as the Rebels look to beef up their attack against a Clare half-back unit that dominated in the draw.
    The Sars attacker was dropped after the Munster final against Limerick, and didn’t feature as a sub in victories over Kilkenny and Dublin. However, he was hugely effective in the air against Clare’s half-backs in the Munster semi-final win, and is now set for a recall.
    This despite the ankle injury which forced him off after just nine minutes of action off the bench in the draw with the Banner at the start of September. He replaced Lorcán McLoughlin, before limping off to make way for Cathal Naughton.
    He’s now set to start ahead of either Jamie Coughlan or Luke O’Farrell, with Coughlan more likely to miss out, having been taken off at half-time for Stephen Moylan the last day.
    McCarthy — whose father Teddy won hurling All-Irelands in 1986 and 1990 and football medals in ’89-’90 — was back training over the past week and a half after recovering from the ankle knock.
    Jimmy Barry-Murphy and his selectors will have pacy, dangerous forward options for the second half against Clare in Moylan, Naughton, Coughlan and O’Farrell.
    It is understood they won’t make any alterations to the rearguard, despite the intense pressure the Cork backs found themselves under in leaking 25 points to Clare. Tom Kenny, dropped for the All-Ireland originally in favour of fit-again Brian Murphy, is in the mix, but he’ll probably have to settle for a berth on the bench again.
    There was speculation last week that Aidan Walsh and Ciarán Sheehan could be added to the squad, having popped up at training.
    The football powerhouses were dual minor and U21s for Cork. However during a press conference last week JBM stated there won’t be any additions to the squad unless barring injuries.

Was down in ul aerna this eveining,and i was lucky enough to be there when the Dean Ryan squad from Ard scoil na rios were training.Niall moran was with them.

First class training for a schools team on a top class ptich,better than sum minor cork teams training.From what i saw,sum of the drills were top class.That was their dean ryan panel,no suprise why they dominated the next level in harty cup,recent years.

Moran looks a top coach in the making for the future.Afterwards the panel were in the Pavillion,having their meal,and then went to a meeting room,for tactics etc.

I was v impressed .Limerick schools are making the effort,and underage is a priority down their.The set up was v organised and the players well looked after.

Cork schools should follow template.I know they have recently launched a new schools programme with rebel og,so hopefully it will sow the seeds.As other counties are putting the work in.

In relation to the harty cup,based on the prepartion i saw tngt,their other team,the harty cup team, will be hard to beat this year.St colmans will do very well to come out of that group with flannans their also and de la salle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

None at all and unlikey now.Its been full focus,and very low key,players kept away from the media as much as possible.

Cork on the other hand,must be relived watching that game, but very hurt and angry with that game.

JBM is a gentleman but a shrewd man at the same time and Cork won't be playing bad hurling in replay guaranteed. Players will step up this time I feel. When Cork are serious they mean business.

Cork left themselves down last day out and I think wounded pride will definitely motivate them to perform better. Davys post match comments the last day should be another motivating factor for Cork and from what I gathered the comments were a poor attempt to cover up Clare's inability to win the match they should have won.

Cork to win by 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Reports suggesting Harnedy won't make Saturday. That's an absolute disaster if that's true.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/cork-tight-lipped-on-injured-harnedys-chances-244085.html

Horse84 wrote: »
    Reports suggesting Harnedy won't make Saturday. That's an absolute disaster if that's true.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/cork-tight-lipped-on-injured-harnedys-chances-244085.html

Id say,its mind games,nothing two serious.Im not that old ,(over 30 slightly)but in al my time,never remember any final that their isnt an injury doubt with a cork player.It would have to be very very bad,to stop a guy like him playing.

The fact he played a full game,musnt be two serious and if cillan o connor played a full game ,for mayo,hadnt played while ,say depending on type injury he be okay.

Jbm could be cupid,in that inadveserly trying to bring the attention to the ref,the punishment he took during the game.

Clare playing the victims is just laughable.Any team under davy isnt going to not let you know they were their.

The belts,dragging,hurley in to the ribs,he got was unreal at times.He knows,the ref dnt protect you,protect yourself.

Id say first five minutes could be interesting.Cork need somenone to make a statement of intent ,let the hunter become the hunted.

Cork need a player like joyce,egan,cronin who are more than capable of,to make one,obivousouly within the letter of the law and not sumthing stupid or unglaringly obivious ,but at the same time ,you got to meet fire with fire.O neill cant as he will be watched.

Clare werent as obivous as shane o neill glaring pull on honan,but they were cute,and no team of angels the way some people think.At lest Brennan called a spade a spade,unlike tony considine who even though i have gd time for ,all he was short was the violin with what he wrote,on the monday after the game.

If it is true ,and harnedy,our all star is out,we wont win without him.He is that much of a presenace,in work rate,grafting,never any fear etc.

The heart of a lion,the strength of an ox,and the superb quality of every day he plays for cork,hes mindful of what and who he represents.He always gives a hundred per cent effort.

CORKWOMAN APPOINTED AS BOSS FOR CAMOGIE ASSOCIATION

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2013

Joan O'Flynn has been appointed as the new Ard Stiúrthóír (Director General) of the Camogie Association.

The Cork native becomes the Association's third full-time Ard Stiúrthóír following Sheila Wallace and Sinéad O'Connor.

O'Flynn takes over from Mary O'Connor who has been acting Ard Stiúrthóír for the past fifteen months and will now resume her role as Director of Camogie Development.

President of the Camogie Association Aileen Lawlor said: "We are delighted to confirm the appointment of Joan O'Flynn as our new Ard Stiúrthóir and I look forward to working with her.

"She has served camogie with distinction over many years and I know she will bring the same passion and energy to her new role. I would also like to thank Mary O'Connor for her great work and commitment for the past year and more."

O'Flynn is a former president of the Camogie Association. She was educated at St Mary's Midleton, UCC and UCD, graduating with a Masters Degree in Equality Studies.

She has previously worked for Combat Poverty and with the Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I was full sure Mary O Connor was going to get it! Pity really, because Mary O Connor has a strong link to the football as well, and could start communication between the two - probably why she didn't get it in the end!

Any news juliet? Hows the injury?theres bn nothing since in the paper friday .

Any news cork team for sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Got tickets from the county board.Two Nallys had looked for two cusack.Still better than nothing ..... if they win :pac:

I'd say they are keeping it quiet - I need to make a phone call home and will find out!

I'd say it will be close enough to the team that started v Kerry, probably know tomorrow or Thursday!

Have no idea what section of the stadium my tickets are in yet - hopefully will be waiting for me in Jurys come Friday night :D

TUESDAYSEPTEMBER 24

O’NEILL’S IDEA TO SECURE DATE FOR LADIES’ FOOTBALL FINALS

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2013

LGFA President Pat Quill has revealed that it was his GAA counterpart Liam O'Neill who suggested setting in stone the date of this year's ladies' football finals in Croke Park.

Last year, Kilkenny and Galway's All-Ireland hurling final draw meant that the ladies' finals were pushed back a week to accommodate a replay, but this year Cork and Clare's second meeting will take place on a Saturday.

Quill, speaking at yesterday's captains' day in Croke Park, was pleased that there was no need to change arrangements this time round.

"Last year, as soon as the hurling final ended in a draw, we knew that we had to move," he said.

"Liam O'Neill contacted us within a fortnight of that game to talk about scheduling and he put it to Central Council, who passed it that a hurling final replay this year would take place on the Saturday.

"That makes a huge difference in terms of planning. We have All-Ireland Sevens as well and last year everything was disrupted, whereas this year we could plan ahead."

With Cork competing in both the hurling replay and the TG4 senior ladies' final on Sunday against Monaghan, there had been suggestions that those games should be played on the same bill. Quill, however, pointed out that that would have been unfair on intermediate finalists Tipperary and Cavan as well as Offaly and Wexford, who meet in the junior decider.

"It's difficult," he said, "because we have three games and we have to think of our junior and intermediate teams as well, playing in Croke Park means an awful lot to them.

"These are areas that can be looked at. There is nothing that can't be overcome in the right way."

With GAA President Liam O'Neill keen to bring ladies' football and camogie under the one umbrella with the GAA, good relations between the bodies is key and Quill is confident that this will continue.

"There is great co-operation between the GAA, ourselves and camogie as it is," he said.

"If we were all starting out today, it would be obvious that we would all be the one association. It's a process that has to be gone through, it's certainly a positive development, but all three associations will have to consult with their members.

"As long as our sport is treated on an equal basis, and developed and supported on an equal basis, I don't see any great problem."

Whats the weather forecast for sat eveining?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Whats the weather forecast for sat eveining?

Rain and drizzle possible but very mild. Should be grand!

Jimmy Barry-Murphy has challenged his players
    CLIONA FOLEY – 24 SEPTEMBER 2013
    CORK boss Jimmy Barry-Murphy has thrown down the gauntlet to his players, saying he will strongly favour training-ground form when he goes to pick the team.
    The Rebels legend has cited the example of Kilkenny's Walter Walsh and the massive impact he made on last year's All-Ireland final replay against Galway.
    He has pointed out to his panellists that a relative unknown player can similarly grasp his opportunity now and make a name for himself in a replayed All-Ireland final.
    "We have emphasised to the players that the sessions (training) are very important and that we are going to pick players who are showing form," Barry-Murphy revealed.
    The Cork manager said he believes this is particularly important at this time of year because of the length of time the finalists have been on the road this season, pointing out that "players' form usually tapers off at this stage".
    "We saw a situation last year where Walter Walsh came into the replay for Kilkenny not having featured at all," he said.
    "I certainly had never seen him play at senior level for them and he had a huge performance, was man of the match for Kilkenny in the replayed final.
    "That's something we've spoken to the players about and we would hope that a lot of players on our panel would respond accordingly."
    Barry-Murphy has admitted that he and the players have been catapulted into "new territory" because of the replay and that they are depending on instinct to gauge their preparations properly.
    "None of us have been here before and I don't know what's right and wrong, you just have to judge it yourself, feel how players are going, how they're looking and responding in training and take it from there," he admitted.
    "The three-week gap is the biggest problem, it's long and especially after we had such a massive build-up (to the drawn game).
    "We had a four-week break after beating Dublin, which was quite long for us.
    "We had one week of club games but it was four weeks in total and now you're facing another three-week break."
    But he said the one good thing about the replay is that it will make the All-Ireland final rematch much more of a game now rather than an occasion.
    "There's a lot of different issues involved in the build-up to a final – getting gear, the razzmatazz of a function after the game and all that kind of stuff, a lot of side issues that have to be dealt with.
    "We were all in the same boat and it certainly does take away a lot of issues that go with being in a final. It starts being a game now and is more relaxed in that way."
    Saturday's final has an unusual 5.0 throw-in and Westmeath's James McGrath has been appointed as the referee.

TG4 Senior All-Ireland final:
    Cork v Monaghan,
    Croke Park, 4pm
    Live on TG4
    VICTORY in Sunday’s All-Ireland final will all boil down to mindset for Bríd Stack; this year more than any other.
    As Cork go in search of their eighth All-Ireland title in nine years, the Liscarroll stalwart believes mentality is far more paramount this time out.
    “It’s going to be the toughest one to be honest, and that’s why it’s about mindset more so than in other years.
    “It might be a cliché but it really is going to be all about who wants it more, and whose hungrier.
    “It’s the first year too I suppose we’ve been the underdogs going into a final. Monaghan have been the better team given their consistency, and there’s no denying that, and I’m sure they’re very well up for it.
    “We played them in the opening game of the League in January and they laid down a marker that day. In the semi-final then, they were able to pull away from a very good Galway side, so we know what we’re up against, so we know it’ll be hard,” said the 27-year-old Carrigaline Secondary School teacher.
    Having lost the Munster title to Kerry as they bid for their 10th title in-a-row, and with a shaky qualifying game against Armagh, the multi All-Star-winning defender believes those games may very well stand to them come 4pm in Croke Park.
    “It’s the first year we’ve taken a different route to the final too. We lost the Munster Championship and had to go through the backdoor against Armagh, and to be fair we didn’t play great.
    “A small bit of doubt began to creep in at that point, but the last two games (against Dublin in the quarter-final and Kerry in the semi-final) have done us wonders — not only for our confidence because that did take a hit, but in terms of bonding too for the team.
    “We proved that we’re still hungry and willing to work hard, and now it’s down to one game and we have to drive on.”
    A training session in Clonakilty yesterday began the final preparations ahead of Saturday’s departure to the capital.
    The nerves haven’t quite settled in yet, with a senior A camogie championship game with Killeagh last week and a Department of Education inspection in the coming days, and things have been fairly hectic.
    There’s not too many rituals to go through however, bar checking her gear-bag a number of times on Friday night.
    Ever since Cork lifted the Brendan Martin Cup for the first time in 2005, Stack has roomed with her fellow defender Angela Walsh; it settles her to know that that’ll be the case again this weekend.
    And, she remembers that first day in Croke Park crystal clear.
    “I remember it like it was yesterday,” she laughs.
    “I remember sitting in the stand beforehand watching a few minutes of the intermediate final, and we were all so nervous — we couldn’t even look at each other!
    “The feeling of running out onto the pitch that day is something I’ll never forget. The crowd that came up from Cork was just incredible, and it would be great if that support was there again on Sunday.”

Best of luck to all ,three cork schools in the Harty cup today,charveille,midelton and bandon who are playing at 1.30 in claughan,chareville and mallow.

I will try and make the ardscoil V bandon game ,and if do will post the score.Bandon will have it all to do,but Michael Cahalane should be worth watching,dual cork minor,a star for the future.Ard scoil,under Moran,will be well prepared.

Only minor this year but played in west cork u21 final sunday got 14 of hes team 18 points.A big,strong lad,plenty of hurling,should have been on the u21 cork panel this year.

He has being player with senior Bandon schools teams since he was 14, only the third player in their history do that.

On a separte note,liam cahill has been appointed tipp minor manager.As i said a few days ago,tipp would appoint a shrewd coach.

They have continuity ,as he was with the u17 team ,and was in the all ireland in mallow a few wks back,that won the plate final,and unlucky nt to be in the final.
    They looked well drilled.Tippereary doing what clare have been doing,bringing continuity from development sides.

Have we learned?the next two wks tell a lot with our minor manager being named.

What is noticeable with the tipp selection,Maher decided not to go for a new term just last wk,yet in a matter of days,have new man in,time for him to view the Harty.

Our Great board had since june,yet with all the time in the world cd still make a complete b ***s of it when in fairness its not rocket science who should get it.

Cant wait,hear cork team tngt,it cant come fast enough.

Good game,hamiltion playing v good but down 3 -7 to 1-7.The last goal a soft goal.

Trevor horgan having a blinder at half back ,cork minor ,and michael cahalane the best forward on show,a great goal just at h time,great overhead strike.david healy having a great game,n the cork fringes.

Ard scoil ,look slicker ,better touch, think they have around six limerick minors with them or close to it.ciaran carey nephew cian lynch look a real talent.Ronan lynch at cb,limerick minor having a great match.

H time.

• Advertisement

Ard scoil 4-20 to hamiltn 3-14.

The intercounty class of their team told in the end,had a few clare minors,ian galvin and sedna morey brother,who will be u21 this year.

He came in to hes own,with cian,and ronan lynch in the second half.

David healy best player for bandon ,certainly didnt take a step back in midfield with the battle morey,and got around four nice points from play.Trevor horgan very good game,but due to ronan lynch and morey getting more ball at cb,and midfield,he was a one man show trying to put out fires every where on the field,while at the same time trying to stop cian lynch,sum talent.

Michael cahalane well marashelld in the second half,three on him for most balls.Missed a penalty.went to full forward bt 5 minutes left then but no got change from barry fitzpatrick at full,meant to be in to the running for clare u21 team next year.

Hamilton can be proud,small fish at this level,but never gave up.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2013

CORK hurlers have a clean bill of health for next Saturday’s All-Ireland SHC final replay and any doubts concerning Seamus Harnedy’s participation were dispelled by selector Kieran Kingston today.
    The St Ita’s clubman Harnedy, one of Cork’s standout players throughout the season, had been suffering from a knock picked up in the drawn match, but he will take his place in the starting 15 on Saturday.
    “Everybody is 100% fit and available for selection. We trained in Páirc Uí Rinn on Monday night and will complete our preparations there tomorrow night,” Kingston told the Evening Echo.
    “We have been using the lights there in anticipation of the Croke Park lights being in use on Saturday and it’s very much a case of counting down now to the final again.’’
    Kingston acknowledged that the management will be seeking improvement in a lot of areas for the sixth meeting between the counties this season and he believes that the team as a whole will have to raise their game quite a bit despite almost snatching victory at the death in the drawn encounter.
    “It goes without saying that we will have to improve because we didn’t achieve the level of performance that we sought three weeks ago.
    “We have worked very hard in training, the players have been excellent in their application and now it’s time for us to select the starting 15
    “I would not be envisaging too much change because we have faith in the players who have got us through all year. “The game is the same as it was before the drawn match, 50-50 and we’d be confident of doing the job this time.
    “I suppose the main things for us this time will not be to concede 25 scores which is quite a lot for an All Ireland final but at the same time our 3-16 would probably have won a lot of finals too.’’
    Cork will again focus on their own game rather than putting too much emphasis on what Clare might and might not do.
    “That has always been the situation for us, focusing on our game and our plans. We have put emphasis on certain things in training and you’d be hoping that we’d not concede as much possession to their half-backs this time.
    “Winning more 50/50 balls too will be vital and getting a better start this time will be important as well even if we were only two points behind at the break the last day.’’

Exactly as i thought yest,nothing wrong with Harnedy,just a bit of mind games.
    Talking to a lad at the harty also,hes flying in training.

Always sum papers run with a injury scare lead up to a final.

On another note,damien cahaleane has to get an operation n both hips and out after county final,six months.He is out most next year league.

What it is with cork footballers and hip,or cartlilage injuryies,or knee injuries..At 21 surley to god must be down to traininig.The cork footballers have more injuries than the irish rubgy team.

WEDNESDAYSEPTEMBER 25

CAHALANE SET FOR HIP OPERATION AFTER COUNTY FINAL

Tweet
    WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2013
    REBEL footballer Damien Cahalane will play his last game of the season in the county football final for Castlehaven against Nemo Rangers.
    The 21-year-old will have an operation to mend hip problems, which have curtailed his training all year, in the weeks after the SFC decider on October 20.
    Cahalane has had a hectic 2013. He established himself as an inter-county footballer, played U21 in both codes for Cork, reached a third consecutive football final with Castlehaven and last Saturday winning an SHC relegation play-off with St Finbarr’s.
    However his season will conclude next month, and even if Castlehaven beat Nemo he won’t feature in the Munster series.
    “The one problem I’ve had all year was not being able to train with any of the teams because of my hip injuries. The game against Nemo is going to be my last of the year, so it’s up to me to be very tuned in for that.”
    Like Pa Kelly, who had a second operation last week on his troublesome hip, he’ll spend the coming months recuperating to be ready for next spring.
    “I’ve a similar injury to Pa, but I’ve to get both hips done. I’ve a fracture in the right one and torn cartilage in both, so I’ve to get the hips pared down.
    It’s four to six months recovery time so I’ll be out for the start of the league next year.”
    Despite the injury woe, Cahalane is currently on a high after helping the Barrs preserve their senior status in a narrow defeat of Ballinhassig.
    “Knowing that we’re going to be playing senior hurling again next year is a huge thing because we’re a very proud club. There’s a good group of young lads there and it was important they had the chance to be able to keep playing senior.”
    Cahalane is in an unusual situation, hurling in Togher where he was raised but playing football for his parent’s club in west Cork.
    “We wouldn’t traditionally have been a Barrs family, but we were always welcomed with open arms and I can’t thank them enough for the chance they gave me to play hurling.”

Team named only one change,cian mac in for jamie.

Id worry bt cian starting,a better sub,but glad thats the team,and kenny didnt start.

The Cork team to play Clare in Saturday's All-Ireland Final Replay at Croke Park will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash
    Kanturk

2. Stephen McDonnell 3. Shane O'Neill 4. Conor O'Sullivan
    Glen Rovers Bishopstown Sarsfields

5. Brian Murphy 6. Christopher Joyce 7. William Egan
    Bride Rovers Na Piarsaigh Kilbrin

8. Lorcan McLoughlin 9. Daniel Kearney
    Kanturk Sarsfields

10. Seamus Harnedy 11. Cian McCarthy 12. Pa Cronin
    St. Ita's Sarsfields Bishopstown

13. Luke O'Farrell 14. Patrick Horgan 15. Conor Lehane
    Midleton Glen Rovers Midleton

16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
    17. Kilian Murphy Erin's Own
    18. Ellis Mark Ellis Millstreet
    19. Tom Kenny Grenagh
    20. Stephen White Ballygarvan
    21. Rob O'Shea Carrigaline
    22. Jamie Coughlan Newtownshandrum
    23. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
    24. Stephen Moylan Douglas
    25. Michael O'Sullivan Tracton
    26. Michael Cussen Sarsfields

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

cian mac in for jamie.

in for lorcan mcloughlin according to rte

The team thinkstoomuch posted was direct off the Cork website - someone got mixed messages!

GAA website has the same one as the Cork GAA website with Cian in for Jamie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The Cork team to play Clare in Saturday's All-Ireland Final Replay at Croke Park will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash
    Kanturk

2. Stephen McDonnell 3. Shane O'Neill 4. Conor O'Sullivan
    Glen Rovers Bishopstown Sarsfields

5. Brian Murphy 6. Christopher Joyce 7. William Egan
    Bride Rovers Na Piarsaigh Kilbrin

8. Lorcan McLoughlin 9. Daniel Kearney
    Kanturk Sarsfields

10. Seamus Harnedy 11. Cian McCarthy 12. Pa Cronin
    St. Ita's Sarsfields Bishopstown

13. Luke O'Farrell 14. Patrick Horgan 15. Conor Lehane
    Midleton Glen Rovers Midleton

16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
    17. Kilian Murphy Erin's Own
    18. Ellis Mark Ellis Millstreet
    19. Tom Kenny Grenagh
    20. Stephen White Ballygarvan
    21. Rob O'Shea Carrigaline
    22. Jamie Coughlan Newtownshandrum
    23. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
    24. Stephen Moylan Douglas
    25. Michael O'Sullivan Tracton
    26. Michael Cussen Sarsfields

Why is Conor Lehane at 15? Will there be a switch there when game starts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement