Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Meehan ,I agree is dangerous.

I can not see how Walsh is more of a forward than a midfielder.
    He can not score regulary and does not have the accuracy or vision to either deliver a kick pass or see one that is on.

He runs through space,he can not create it.
    As seen by hes awful miss 30 yards out in killarney.

He got a good goal against Kildare,last year but missed two others,and is far two erratic in he's shooting and too inconsistent to be a CF.

When you have the likes of Kelly,Sheehan,Kerrigan even DOC,as options,Aidan Walsh should be no where near a Centre Forward or forward.

I do not doubt,Walsh will get on the world of ball.It is what and how he use's the possesion is the problem.

Walsh is overrated midfielder have lost count the amount times Cork have been beaten with Walsh in midfield even in 2010 when Cork won the All Ireland they needed Nicholas Murphys influence in midfield to win games.

Walsh is still young was part of the 2011 U-21 team and in time he will improve his shooting and passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Walsh is overrated midfielder have lost count the amount times Cork have been beaten with Walsh in midfield even in 2010 when Cork won the All Ireland they needed Nicholas Murphys influence in midfield to win games.

Walsh is still young was part of the 2011 U-21 team and in time he will improve his shooting and passing.

He was raw iagree.But he destroyed Down in the 2010 final.You need to look at that match again,in fairness,you are way off the mark.

Walsh talents were never as a forward.

U honesty think he is better than Kelly,Collins,O Rourke ,or Sheehan who i believe should be at half forward.

See the way Kilkenny played the role against Meath,and Cooper likewise against Cork.

Walsh is no where near that level as a CF.He won't do against blanket defences.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Walsh should not be played at CF, plain and simple. We have far better options there and he would be better suited to being the athletic style midfielder that we need.
    Exactly,why have Walsh at CF when we have better options.
    Why choose silver,when you can have Gold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

One thing about Walsh - he needs 3 or 4 kicks at goal to score - he must have a crooked leg! He needs to be at midfield. I wondered if he would be played at full forward at some stage of his career, think he would be far better suited there if he is not to be at midfield. Donaghy doesn't score much there but he creates an outlet with his layoffs.

One thing about Walsh - he needs 3 or 4 kicks at goal to score - he must have a crooked leg! He needs to be at midfield. I wondered if he would be played at full forward at some stage of his career, think he would be far better suited there if he is not to be at midfield. Donaghy doesn't score much there but he creates an outlet with his layoffs.

I agree.Im haunted by the miss ten yards out in front of goal in killarney a few years ago,it was easier score.

Hes conversion rate has not improved the last 3 years,their is no reason to believe it will further improve in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Always_Running

He was raw iagree.But he destroyed Down in the 2010 final.You need to look at that match again,in fairness,you are way off the mark.

Walsh talents were never as a forward.

U honesty think he is better than Kelly,Collins,O Rourke ,or Sheehan who i believe should be at half forward.

See the way Kilkenny played the role against Meath,and Cooper likewise against Cork.

Walsh is no where near that level as a CF.He won't do against blanket defences.

CF involves many roles and whos to say Walsh will end up at 11?
    afterall you can't go by the numbers nowadays.

Don't need to look at that final again i remember it well, thats where he got his high rating from but i also remember him subbed off in other games when he struggled in midfield. He was well beaten against Gallagher,Kavanagh last summer and for example likewise would happen if came up against the O'Sheas this summer.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Just saw the team selection on the website. Slightly frustrated with that team selection, Paddy Kelly is one of the most underrated footballers in the county, if he is fit, which I've heard that he is, he should be starting at centre forward. Play Walsh wing forward or midfield but not CF. Sheehan to cf and Walsh to FF could be a swap on the day,

One of the biggest things a few years ago wheb Cork won the AI, was the fact that Counihan could change the midfield around the 50 min mark, putting essentially three recognised midfielders on from the start and no cover on the bench is poor. I'd like to see Walsh to midfield, Kelly cf and O Neill losing out.

Glad to see Goulding, Sheehan and Hurley as a full forward line, once quality ball goes in. That is the key, if the ball doesn't go in, there is no point in having them in there. Fast low ball in and I've no doubt those three will do serious damage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Glad to see Goulding, Sheehan and Hurley as a full forward line, once quality ball goes in. That is the key, if the ball doesn't go in, there is no point in having them in there. Fast low ball in and I've no doubt those three will do serious damage

This Cork team are capable of having at least one, two or even 3 more All Irelands IF this were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

If Walsh was at midfield ,and kelly or collins at Cf,then we could get away with Canty at CB.

As either one could play a sweeper role ahead of him,and can counter attack with pace,play a quater back type role.
    Walsh has the pace to stop Flynn running through from midfield.

You would have then one of Kelly,or Collins at Cf with O Rourke who could move the ball fast in the half forward line.

Cahalane onces,he's confidence is okay after the last day,and is left at half back should be fine.

Canty is a much better fit than,say Kissane or O Leary,and onces he is protected offers leadership and defensive organistion,allowing Loughrey to bomb forward.

The problem is the way the team is picked,he could be exposed and isolated.
    I hope you are right about AOC ,but i have not seen him play a good game since 2011,and even them Aidan o Shea destroyed him at Croke park.

Conroy and Flynn are very mobile players.

I agree that Mayo match in 2011 was a shambles and Cork were poor and lethargic all over the pitch. AOC had a great second half against Kerry this year? His confidence will have taken a major boost from that performance.

Its just impossible to know what team will start and wouldn't be one bit surprised if either one or both of collins and cahalane didn't start. a least it keeps the opposition guessing as well i suppose.

CF involves many roles and whos to say Walsh will end up at 11?
    afterall you can't go by the numbers nowadays.

Don't need to look at that final again i remember it well, thats where he got his high rating from but i also remember him subbed off in other games when he struggled in midfield. He was well beaten against Gallagher,Kavanagh last summer and for example likewise would happen if came up against the O'Sheas this summer.

Youre wrong .

In 2010,Walsh stared and lasted against Kerry,in kerry,Wexford and Dublin and Down.

He went off after 20 minutes,against Kerry in the replay,due to a hamstring.

The only two games he was subbed in ,Limerick in the qualifer,and Roscommon.

He was actually very good against Limerick,but so was Derek Kavanagh.
    As Rebel Girl,said and correctly,so Cork had the tendency to bring on fresh legs,and righty so ,and would bring on Murphy,when it hit the 50 minute mark.

The only game ,he played bad was against Roscomoon,when Mannion had the better of him.

Walsh was in hes first year with Cork and learning.He had a blinder against ,Dublin in the Semifinal,such that AOC was taken off,when Murphy was introduced.

Walsh started and lasted all games in 2011 bar the Down game.

He started in the defeat to mayo and performed as well as he could,considering AOC was well beaten.
    2012 he was not subbed,and against Donegal,he was the better option ,than AOC,who was taken off.

In relation to Donegal,he done okay,certainly no worse than O Connor.

He gave away possesion cheaply at times,by kicking woefully,but still won it.

This game,showed that he is certainly has not the foot passing skills for a CF.

You say he may not end up at 11.I certainly hope so.That is my point,he is not a Centre Forward.

The centre forward role now, requires creativity.To win an all ireland ,you need some one that has that in that role.

Cooper,Kilkenny are the heart beat of Kerry and Dublin's attack,but no way will Walsh do the same for cork.

Walsh was tried at full forward before,and while he can do a spefic job their,Cork with Goulding,O Connor,and Hurley,kerrigan and O Neill next year have better scoring forwards.

Cork are lacking depth at midfield now,but Walsh is our best midfielder,ahead of AOC and O Neill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

As a Dublin fan i'm fearful of the day Cork get a competent management team. The depth of talent and the sheer size and power throughout the side is astonishing. It's quite incredible they've only the 1 All-Ireland to show for it all imo.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    As a Dublin fan i'm fearful of the day Cork get a competent management team. The depth of talent and the sheer size and power throughout the side is astonishing. It's quite incredible they've only the 1 All-Ireland to show for it all imo.

I think you are bang on the money,

I agree that Mayo match in 2011 was a shambles and Cork were poor and lethargic all over the pitch. AOC had a great second half against Kerry this year? His confidence will have taken a major boost from that performance.

Its just impossible to know what team will start and wouldn't be one bit surprised if either one or both of collins and cahalane didn't start. a least it keeps the opposition guessing as well i suppose.
    i agree,he was good against Kerry,but a better judge will be in Croke park, rather than a 20 minute cameo against a tired Maher.

He was poor even last year against Donegal,where Croke Park exposes,he's mobility.

I think that team will start.If kissane replaces Cahalane,after naming Cahalane to start,and the treatment the last day,then Counihan is a disgrace.

Just saw the team selection on the website. Slightly frustrated with that team selection, Paddy Kelly is one of the most underrated footballers in the county, if he is fit, which I've heard that he is, he should be starting at centre forward. Play Walsh wing forward or midfield but not CF. Sheehan to cf and Walsh to FF could be a swap on the day,

One of the biggest things a few years ago wheb Cork won the AI, was the fact that Counihan could change the midfield around the 50 min mark, putting essentially three recognised midfielders on from the start and no cover on the bench is poor. I'd like to see Walsh to midfield, Kelly cf and O Neill losing out.

I agree ,your spot on.
    Whats the point in having Sheehan at Full forward and get no ball.

That has been Corks problem for years.

Kelly ,you are right is fit to play, just like Sheehan was fit against Kerry.all he needs is games.Cork best performance was against Tyrone in 09 and Kelly was the chief conductor.

Id prefer Sheehan at half forward,he caused Donegal all sort of problems last year,with he's scoring and thirty and forty yard passes.

He guaranteed to get on the ball their,something he is not likely to get at full forward under Counihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

i agree,he was good against Kerry,but a better judge will be in Croke park, rather than a 20 minute cameo against a tired Maher.

He was poor even last year against Donegal,where Croke Park exposes,he's mobility.

I think that team will start.If kissane replaces Cahalane,after naming Cahalane to start,and the treatment the last day,then Counihan is a disgrace.

I agree against Donegal and Gallagher, AOC struggled but was injured and shouldn't have been playing. His workrate is superb,turnovers and tackling are also crucial in the modern game. he lacks certain skills but seems to have improved his kicking game. I disagree that he is not mobile and is by all accounts the fittest player cork have when fit. however in terms of raw speed he can be left behind. anyway i wouldn't be worried about him against galway but other areas that you have outlined.

I think Collins is more likely not to start and he'd hardly do that to Cahalane. hopefully sheehan can stay fit - he and hurley could be a great combination inside.

I agree against Donegal and Gallagher, AOC struggled but was injured and shouldn't have been playing. His workrate is superb,turnovers and tackling are also crucial in the modern game. he lacks certain skills but seems to have improved his kicking game. I disagree that he is not mobile and is by all accounts the fittest player cork have when fit. however in terms of raw speed he can be left behind. anyway i wouldn't be worried about him against galway but other areas that you have outlined.

I think Collins is more likely not to start and he'd hardly do that to Cahalane. hopefully sheehan can stay fit - he and hurley could be a great combination inside.

Fair enough,he was injured.He has been great Cork ,i just worry about him on Flynn.
    O neill as a partner wont't help him.

Hopefully CC wont do it to Cahalane,but you just never know with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

What do ye Cork lads think of the team Counihan has named for Saturday? I expect Cork to win this one but being honest that team sheet doesn't exactly fill me with fear as a Galway supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

aidan24326 wrote: »
    What do ye Cork lads think of the team Counihan has named for Saturday? I expect Cork to win this one but being honest that team sheet doesn't exactly fill me with fear as a Galway supporter.

post the team

post the team
    The Cork Senior Football team to play Galway in Croke Park at 5pm on Saturday has been named as follows:

1. Alan Quirke
    Valley Rovers

2. Eoin Cadogan 3. Michael Shields 4. Thomas Clancy
    Douglas St. Finbarr's Clonakilty
    5. Damien Cahalane 6. Graham Canty 7. James Loughrey
    Castlehaven Bantry Blues Mallow

8. Alan O'Connor 9. Pearse O'Neill
    St. Colum's Aghada
    10. Mark Collins 11. Aidan Walsh 12. John O'Rourke
    Castlehaven Kanturk Carbery Rangers

13. Daniel Goulding 14. Ciaran Sheehan 15. Brian Hurley
    Eire Óg Eire Óg Castlehaven

Subs
    16 Ken O'Halloran Bishopstown
    17 John Mc Loughlin Kanturk
    18 Tomás Clancy Fermoy
    19 Noel O'Leary Cill na Martra
    20 Jamie O'Sullivan Bishopstown
    21 Paudie Kissane Clyda Rovers
    22 Andrew O'Sullivan Castletownbere
    23. Fintan Goold Macroom
    24. Patrick Kelly Ballincollig
    25. Paul Kerrigan Nemo Rangers
    26. Donncha O'Connor Ballydesmond

Posted earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

post the team

Read the thread before shooting from the hip I'd say
    aidan24326 wrote: »

I think it's a better team overall than the one they fielded against Kerry.

Strong full forward line although I always saw Sheehan as a half forward so strange to see him in the full, although no doubt he'll cause trouble as evidenced by his introduction against Kerry

Midfield is interesting, I assume Walsh will be there for long direct kicks through the middle with O'Neill and AOC pulling either side of the pitch - giving loads of space for runs off Walsh from the wing forwards and backs, if Galway fill that space then Cork can work it towards the two lads on the wing. That's my guess anyway

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Read the thread before shooting from the hip I'd say

I think it's a better team overall than the one they fielded against Kerry.

Strong full forward line although I always saw Sheehan as a half forward so strange to see him in the full, although no doubt he'll cause trouble as evidenced by his introduction against Kerry

Midfield is interesting, I assume Walsh will be there for long direct kicks through the middle with O'Neill and AOC pulling either side of the pitch - giving loads of space for runs off Walsh from the wing forwards and backs, if Galway fill that space then Cork can work it towards the two lads on the wing. That's my guess anyway
    It is better than Killarney,but that would not be hard.I do not think this team would beat Dublin or Mayo though.

I agree with most of that,espiceally sheehan.He is our best half forward.

I hope walsh is a third midfielder,and not an orthodox CF.

You play Club football in Cork,what do make of Barry O Driscoll?Do you think he deserves a panel place?

The Cork team to play Kilkenny in the All-Ireland SHC Quarter-Final on Sunday at 2pm in Thurles will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash
    Kanturk

2. Shane O'Neill 3. Stephen McDonnell 4. Conor O'Sullivan
    Bishopstown Glen Rovers Sarsfields

5. Tom Kenny 6. Christopher Joyce 7. William Egan
    Grenagh Na Piarsaigh Kilbrin

8. Lorcan Mc Loughlin 9. Daniel Kearney
    Kanturk Sarsfields

10. Conor Lehane 11. Seamus Harnedy 12. Pa Cronin
    Midleton St. Ita's Bishopstown

13. Luke O'Farrell 14. Patrick Horgan 15. Jamie Coughlan
    Midleton Glen Rovers Newtownshandrum

16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
    17. Kilian Murphy Erin's Own
    18. Mark Ellis Millstreet
    19. Stephen White Ballygarvan
    20. Rob O'Shea Carrigaline
    21. Cian Mc Carthy Sarsfields
    22. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
    23. Stephen Moylan Douglas
    24. Michael Cussen Sarsfields
    25. Michael O Sullivan Tracton
    26. Eoin Keane St. Finbarr's

There is one change to the team that lost out to Limerick in the Munster Final, with Jamie Coughlan starting and Cian McCarthy making way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The Cork team to play Kilkenny in the All-Ireland SHC Quarter-Final on Sunday at 2pm in Thurles will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash
    Kanturk

2. Shane O'Neill 3. Stephen McDonnell 4. Conor O'Sullivan
    Bishopstown Glen Rovers Sarsfields

5. Tom Kenny 6. Christopher Joyce 7. William Egan
    Grenagh Na Piarsaigh Kilbrin

8. Lorcan Mc Loughlin 9. Daniel Kearney
    Kanturk Sarsfields

10. Conor Lehane 11. Seamus Harnedy 12. Pa Cronin
    Midleton St. Ita's Bishopstown

13. Luke O'Farrell 14. Patrick Horgan 15. Jamie Coughlan
    Midleton Glen Rovers Newtownshandrum

16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
    17. Kilian Murphy Erin's Own
    18. Mark Ellis Millstreet
    19. Stephen White Ballygarvan
    20. Rob O'Shea Carrigaline
    21. Cian Mc Carthy Sarsfields
    22. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
    23. Stephen Moylan Douglas
    24. Michael Cussen Sarsfields
    25. Michael O Sullivan Tracton
    26. Eoin Keane St. Finbarr's

There is one change to the team that lost out to Limerick in the Munster Final, with Jamie Coughlan starting and Cian McCarthy making way.

Thats the best we can produce for KK. We hope for the best.

I think that team will give a good account of themselves.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Thats the best we can produce for KK. We hope for the best.

Yeah it is,starting wise,glad to see their not doing a Denis Walsh in it,and trying to go toe to toe with KK physically like in 2010.Coughlan deserves to start.
    Lets pray for the sun now.

Christ ,we are weak on the bench defensively.

Eoin keane ahead of Colm spillane and Patrick o mahony,poor call.

Both players have Ger fitz to thank,for being played out of position and made look bad.

Cussen and Naughten FFS.

Peter O brien was outstanding last friday night.

God help us,if O neill doesnt last a full game.It means Killan Murphy comes on.

Hes grand,but what if Mcdonnell is in trouble.Eoin Keane is worth a look at next year,but for sunday a huge mistake.

I think that team will give a good account of themselves.
    I was coming around to that idea,but that bench is weak.
    Good to see Michael O Sullivan on it.A bit of cut.

Ill travel sunday,as i never forgive myself for not being their if we do a miracle.

But as soon as I see Cussen and Naughton coming on,i know the game is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

A bit harsh on Naughton in my opinion.

A bit harsh on Naughton in my opinion.[/quote
    ]
    Fair enough you do not agree,but Naughton has done nothing to suggest otherwise.
    He wont be on the panel next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

A bit harsh on Naughton in my opinion.

Naughton is pacey and hard to follow for defenders but is headless at times and too often hits terrible wides when Cork need a much needed score. He might be needed next day out though for his pace. If one thing we might have an advantage over KK is our pace. We will test them there but our physcality is where we will lack big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Going back to the football.

I reckon the named team is close to what will start. Its going to be a 3 man midfield surely, I could see Alan O Connor being the defensive hard working of the three with O'Neill and Walsh more offensive.

That gives us more space to run at Galway, could see Sheehan coming out to Half Forward on Goulding's side with Collins moving to Centre Forward, he may even drop back as a kind of 4th Midfielder, where he plays for the Haven.

If there are changes, I reckon it will be most likely Collins and/or O Rourke, Donnacha, Kelly or Kerrigan to come in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement