Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taker's Opponent For WM28

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm sick of Michaels and HHH "hogging" the undertaker; both have faced him twice at mania each. Give someone else the rub.

See this is the problem where world titles don't matter, nobody cares. Even this year, it was "What was Rock gonna do" rather than who the WWE title will end up with. Now WWE are too terrified to put in a lesser guy with Taker, who could really use the spotlight in lieu of the big star. Maybe we'll just have to wait until after 20-0 for people like Barrett, Punk, Sheamus, Miz etc to get their badge of honour, jobbing to Taker at Mania.

None of them except Punk is on the level to face Taker at Mania, and tbh no-one on the WWE roster currently bar Orton and Cena is really a legitimate treat to end the streak

• Registered Users Posts: 85,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I dont think Barrett could carry Taker in a match he can barely carry himself imo but maybe by next year's Mania he will have improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Barrett carrying Taker? Since when does Taker need carrying? He is not Kane, or the Big Show.

Besides, what business would the likes of Barrett have with going in with Taker? It would have been relevant had it happened this past mania, seeing as the Nexus help bury Taker alive (a storyline completely forgotten about), but then Nexus was disbanded.

If it is to be someone like Barrett, the push needs to start now if we want any believability.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

None of them except Punk is on the level to face Taker at Mania, and tbh no-one on the WWE roster currently bar Orton and Cena is really a legitimate treat to end the streak

Exactly! They could use the push being in the spotlight. These guys are the future of WWE, right? So they need the rub? See being a legit threat to end the streak - this is the problem because it's generally WM's only draw (bar last year's Rock appearance). The titles mean nothing so all of WrestleMania's eggs lay in Taker's basket. He can only have these streak-ending matches because WWE have nothing else legitimately to offer.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I dont think Barrett could carry Taker in a match he can barely carry himself imo but maybe by next year's Mania he will have improved.

Well booked match + Taker will be calling it = Great match. Plus who has Barrett been working with over the last year!!

gimmick wrote: »
    Barrett carrying Taker? Since when does Taker need carrying? He is not Kane, or the Big Show.

Besides, what business would the likes of Barrett have with going in with Taker? It would have been relevant had it happened this past mania, seeing as the Nexus help bury Taker alive (a storyline completely forgotten about), but then Nexus was disbanded.

If it is to be someone like Barrett, the push needs to start now if we want any believability.

With Taker's physical state I think he would need someone to carry him

• Advertisement

His physical state is okay for a match or two a year. As Jay said, if Taker could call it and Barrett was awake, there would be no problems. Taker can still carry anyone regardless of his physcial limitations.

Exactly! They could use the push being in the spotlight. These guys are the future of WWE, right? So they need the rub? See being a legit threat to end the streak - this is the problem because it's generally WM's only draw (bar last year's Rock appearance). The titles mean nothing so all of WrestleMania's eggs lay in Taker's basket. He can only have these streak-ending matches because WWE have nothing else legitimately to offer.

At the end of the day WWE is about making money, and unfortunantely Undertaker vs Barrett/Sheamus/Miz/Morrison/Kofi/Ziggler/Zeke/Sin Cara/Whomever unfortuantely wont draw because they arent yet anywhere near being on Takers level, perhaps by Wrestlemania 30 they will be..

But for now WWE have to concentrate on making money on realistic oppponents whom could possibly get fans to part with there hard earned cash by believeing the opponent could end the streak.. So thats Cena/Orton/HHH/Michaels(retired or not)/Big Show/Kane/Punk/Mysterio etc etc.. Its unfortunate that the young guys wont get the rub, but they will when they eventually earn it..

Would Orton be worth another bash? He had a great match with him a few years ago...now he is older and better, maybe he thinks he can better Taker now and revive the Legend Killer gimmick for the run in to Mania?

Of course he would ahve to turn heel again, but he is a far better heel than he will ever be a face.

Would Orton be worth another bash? He had a great match with him a few years ago...now he is older and better, maybe he thinks he can better Taker now and revive the Legend Killer gimmick for the run in to Mania?

Of course he would ahve to turn heel again, but he is a far better heel than he will ever be a face.

Bigtime +1

Great fued with a lovely blow off with the HIAC match.. I think Orton/Taker would definitely be even better, this time round with Orton as the heel he was last year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Orton going heel would suit his persona, but it would create the need to build a new top face on Smackdown (or Raw should Cena go heel). That would be a major headache for the WWE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

I think he could pull of a match like Del Rio/Big Show from Capitol Punishment (and I wanted that with Corre vs Taker at WM27) but the emphasis is probably going to be on not only who can stop the streak but who can prevent Taker getting to 20 aswell. I agree that, at least right now, Barrett isn't on the level needed to convince people Taker can and will lose.

Really should have been Cena in my view. Getting the STF on Taker in the middle of the ring for several minutes after pulling him back from the ropes would scare people.

I think he'd be better going in as an HBK tweener/face. Leave it up to the crowd to choose what they want when he flips onto the mat for the RKO.

Barrett is not in any way good enough IMO. He's an upper mid carder (if that) for life. Nothing wrong with that as it is important to the show, but he is never going to equal HBK, Edge, HHH or even Batista (yeah I said it :pac:).

He has main event mic skills, FCW in-ring skills. He should be not even mentioned in this thread.

Shame Edge is retired he would be another top choice

+ 1 on Orton getting another shot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Bring Foley back in and have Undertaker Vs Mankind at WM28, that could be a massive draw and could be a decent feud going by their history.

And of course the main event of the Raw before Mania would be Rock & Sock Vs Undertaker and John Cena - that's ratings.

Charisteas wrote: »
    Bring Foley back in and have Undertaker Vs Mankind at WM28, that could be a massive draw and could be a decent feud going by their history.

And of course the main event of the Raw before Mania would be Rock & Sock Vs Undertaker and John Cena - that's ratings.

I mentioned this idea on the Foley thread, except I had Cactus Jack instead. Foley could say that Mankind was not able to get the job done...but he knows somebody who can!

Disagree with Foley. He is miles and years part it. Not to mention even in his prime he barely drew a penny. For him to be Takers last opponent would look like a silly tribute match. I really could not see anyone caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Disagree with Foley. He is miles and years part it. Not to mention even in his prime he barely drew a penny. For him to be Takers last opponent would look like a silly tribute match. I really could not see anyone caring.

I don't think pitching Undertaker and Foley together would be the right move but to say he didn't draw a penny is grossly unfair.

For example his match with Triple H from Royal Rumble 2000 outdrew all others of the noughties. There are many other examples too.

It's just an idea. I think it's better than destroying 2 years of booking by having Orton turn heel. But Foley would be way down the list of options IMO, but I'd still like to see one more Foley/Taker match.

The never drew line is really, really unfair on Foley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I wouldn't object to it being Foley, it would make sense. It doesn't matter about him drawing [power, the draw now is the streak and Taker's aura aroiund Wrestlemania, the opponent has become secondary to that these days. Taker/Foley was a massive feud in terms of Taker's career - it was the first time he moved beyond the invincible gimmck he had played before that. The hardcore based math they could have would work around bothe men's limitations too. Hell, you old have Foley fall off the HIAC again, his arse is so big these days he wouldn't even be hurt.

Sting would be great as well, but seems destined never to happen. There was talk of Lesnar as well last year which would again would be fantastic and would draw massive numbers given what he drew in MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

There is literally no way anyone could even think that Foley would have a slight chance at winning tbh, the attraction would simply be to see what methods Taker could dream up to destroy Foley.

Wheras against Lesnar, wow he could beat Taker! Or even Sting. That would be the draw for me. If I want to see Taker destroy Foley I can watch HIAC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Smoshi

I know its a long shot but wat about Goldberg? I think he presents a credible threat

It doesn't matter that Foley is years past it. Whoever Takers WM28 opponent is going to be, the match is going to be a spot-fest anyway so it's not like he has to be brimming with athletic prowess. Foley could easily pull off a 15-20 minute match with Taker, as he did against Ric Flair on Impact recently in a 15 minute blood-bath last man standing match.

Not sure whether or not Foley ever drew a penny in his prime, but he seemed to become a bigger star after he retired and released his hugely successful books, so I think if he wrestled a Mania match then people certainly would be interested.

It's just an idea. I think it's better than destroying 2 years of booking by having Orton turn heel. But Foley would be way down the list of options IMO, but I'd still like to see one more Foley/Taker match.

The never drew line is really, really unfair on Foley.

Not sure he would be as way down on the list as people think. He's a free agent and still a big name in the business. Whereas as elsewhere other names are being branded about; Cena is already booked, Austin has said he doesn't want to wrestle again, Sting is with TNA and passed up on the opportunity last year, Lesnar is with UFC and seriously injured anyway, Batista is doing MMA, Michaels is retired, and Punk looking like he is taking some time off.

HHH and Orton are the two favourites, but not many names would be ahead of viable option Foley - a free agent, popular with fans, and a legend.

Charisteas wrote: »
    HHH and Orton are the two favourites, but not many names would be ahead of viable option Foley - a free agent, popular with fans, and a legend.

When I said down the list, I mean he'd be about my realistic 3rd choice for it. Punk, HHH and Orton are the other realistic choices IMO. Lesnar would be cool, but not very realistic.

On the whole credible threat issue - is anyone actually a credible threat? The streak will never be broken? What we should be looking at is match quality and how much it will get the opponent over despite losing.

So in that regard, we should forget HHH, Lesnar, Foley, Goldberg etc and look at young up and coming main eventers.

For example, if Ziggler/Swagger was made to look good by taker in an epic Mania match, then his future looks all the brighter.

As I said earluier though in reference to Barrett, whoever it is has to start a push now. Not directly with Taker obviously, but a main player push so when Taker does make his return, this guy can step up immediately and not look out of his depth.

There should be a rumble match also for the right to face Taker at WM and "try to end" the streak :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Maybe we'll just have to wait until after 20-0 for people like Barrett, Punk, Sheamus, Miz etc to get their badge of honour, jobbing to Taker at Mania.

They should have those guys fight it out to see who gets the chance.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    There is literally no way anyone could even think that Foley would have a slight chance at winning tbh, the attraction would simply be to see what methods Taker could dream up to destroy Foley.

Wheras against Lesnar, wow he could beat Taker! Or even Sting. That would be the draw for me. If I want to see Taker destroy Foley I can watch HIAC.

If Foley was signed today and spent several months getting in good condition, he could have 2-3 matches before Mania getting across how serious he is about the match.

Say he arrived before the Rumble and gave a promo saying how much he wants to be the man to end the Undertaker. He can give the full backstory to their feud and say that Mankind could not get the job done...but Cactus Jack can. He can then start his series of matches proving that he is the man to take on the Undertaker.

If necessary, let Triple H and Foley have a match at Elimination Chamber with Foley winning (since The Game is a company man these days). Think of the promo Foley could have with HBK in the build-up to Mania, bringing in their classic match and the HBK/Taker history.

I don't think anybody could believe that Lesnar or Sting would win since they are there for a short payday. Foley would suffer from the same issues, but a great build-up and a well planned out match could produce similar OMG-moments to Triple H tombstoning the Undertaker.

Of course, they would have the issue of they could live up to their earlier matches in a PG-environment without blood and chairshots. But it could be done.

That being said, I'd prefer Punk. Although a Mania with Punk-Austin and Cactus Jack-Undertaker would be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

There should be a rumble match also for the right to face Taker at WM and "try to end" the streak :p

Could be nice if the Rumble winner traded their title shot for the chance to prevent 20 - 0.

• Advertisement

Ridley wrote: »
    Could be nice if the Rumble winner traded their title shot for the chance to prevent 20 - 0.

That way they might avoid being in the opening match of the night :pac:

Advertisement