Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No NGB in Tralee Town yet?!

Options
  • 20-06-2011 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi,
    I got my phone line connected on friday and ordered a broadband today..I was going to go for NGB up to 24mb broadband as my line can take 17mb BUT i was told today by customer sales agent there's no NGB in Tralee yet..A bit weird as technician who called in on friday said there is NGB in Tralee..a bit confused now..
    However i was advised to order 7mb unlimited broadband so i did.

Please help with info about NGB in Tralee

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

BaguMka wrote: »
    Hi,
    I got my phone line connected on friday and ordered a broadband today..I was going to go for NGB up to 24mb broadband as my line can take 17mb BUT i was told today by customer sales agent there's no NGB in Tralee yet..A bit weird as technician who called in on friday said there is NGB in Tralee..a bit confused now..
    However i was advised to order 7mb unlimited broadband so i did.

Please help with info about NGB in Tralee

Thanks

Thanks BaguMka,

I've been advised that the upgrade on the exchange in Tralee should be completed towards the end of this year, although it may be even sooner. This is dependent on eircom engineering works going ahead as planned.

I would imagine the NGB upgrade would be rolled out in the last quarter, between September and December. Broadband Sales will defintively decide if your phoneline meets the criteria or prequalifies for up to *24Mb.

Broadband Sales - 1800503303 (freefone)

As soon as NGB becomes available on the exchange, then your broadband will be automatically upgraded. There is no need for you to change any of your settings on your modem.

If you wish to be notified when your broadband is due to be upgraded to NGB, then please log on to www.ngb.ie and leave your email contact address. You will then be automatically advised when NGB is pending on your broadband phoneline.

If you need any technical assistance with your broadband connection, please call :

Broadband Support - 1890 260260 (lowcall) (Opening hours : 08:00 - 22:00) - Mon - Sun.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭BaguMka

Thanks BaguMka,

I've been advised that the upgrade on the exchange in Tralee should be completed towards the end of this year, although it may be even sooner. This is dependent on eircom engineering works going ahead as planned.

I would imagine the NGB upgrade would be rolled out in the last quarter, between September and December. Broadband Sales will defintively decide if your phoneline meets the criteria or prequalifies for up to *24Mb.

As soon as NGB becomes available on the exchange, then your broadband will be automatically upgraded. There is no need for you to change any of your settings on your modem.

If you wish to be notified when your broadband is due to be upgraded to NGB, then please log on to www.ngb.ie and leave your email contact address. You will then be automatically advised when NGB is pending on your broadband phoneline.

If you need any technical assistance with your broadband connection, please call :

Broadband Support - 1890 260260 (lowcall) (Opening hours : 08:00 - 22:00) - Mon - Sun.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Thanks for replay,

However i've ordered 7mb broadband + off peak talktime chatter bundle which is 56.93e for the first 6 months and i've been advised by the customer agent it's unlimited download usage package. I rang up once again to confirm this as on eircom web site says about 30gigs per month only..They confirmed i would get unlimited usage broadband.. Will you confirm that?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks for replay,

However i've ordered 7mb broadband + off peak talktime chatter bundle which is 56.93e for the first 6 months and i've been advised by the customer agent it's unlimited download usage package. I rang up once again to confirm this as on eircom web site says about 30gigs per month only..They confirmed i would get unlimited usage broadband.. Will you confirm that?

Thanks

Hi BaguMka

The standard 7MB Broadband Advanved package is clasified as "unlimited" however there is a (Fair usage policy of 250GB per month)

At the moment eircom do not charge any excess download charges on the standard broadband packages. Although eircom do reserve the right to charge as per the broadband terms and conditions - "to charge for exceeding the download allowance on a customers package". Effectively what that means is that a customer is free to exceed the download allowance without penalty.

However be aware that a very small percentage of customers who are on the standard broadband package who have continually have extremely excessive usage will be sent out warning letters warning that the usage is to high and may be charged excess usage if the usage pattern continues.

Thanks,

Ant

Hi BaguMka

The standard 7MB Broadband Advanved package is clasified as "unlimited" however there is a (Fair usage policy of 250GB per month)

At the moment eircom do not charge any excess download charges on the standard broadband packages. Although eircom do reserve the right to charge as per the broadband terms and conditions - "to charge for exceeding the download allowance on a customers package". Effectively what that means is that a customer is free to exceed the download allowance without penalty.

However be aware that a very small percentage of customers who are on the standard broadband package who have continually have extremely excessive usage will be sent out warning letters warning that the usage is to high and may be charged excess usage if the usage pattern continues.

Thanks,

Ant

Ant,

Thank you very much for clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Thanks BaguMka,

Kind regards,
    Ant

According the the ngb.ie website, Tralee should be upgraded by now (NGB Apr - June schedule) Is this not the case as you say end of this year? Dealing with Eircom is a disaster as each person you contact will give you a different answer! Cowboys!

• Advertisement

daelight wrote: »
    According the the ngb.ie website, Tralee should be upgraded by now (NGB Apr - June schedule) Is this not the case as you say end of this year? Dealing with Eircom is a disaster as each person you contact will give you a different answer! Cowboys!

Agree with you as i connected to eircom according their NGB coverage map..I really wanted to get up to 24mb NGB but only after get connected been advised that there is no NGB yet in Tralee..That's fraud :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Agree with you as i connected to eircom according their NGB coverage map..I really wanted to get up to 24mb NGB but only after get connected been advised that there is no NGB yet in Tralee..That's fraud :(
    Hi BaguMka
    Tralee is due to be enabled for NGB shortly. As part of a national roll-out a delay in one exchange can affect roll-out date of an other but we will have this enabled as soon as we can.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Vodafone Customer Here!
    Been notified on 22/07/11 that their Enhanced Broadband sevice is on the way, similar to NGB I guess. When I asked, I was informed their service usually becomes active about one month after their notifications are distributed. Last week in August then?????

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Hi Machinehead,
    I presume you are based in Tralee.
    I have been following eircom's NGB ?progress towards here with a mixture of disbelief and amusement for some time.
    As I presume Vodafone's "Enhancement" - the spin doctors must be busy - will be on the back of whatever fiddling eircom does with the switches at the exchange, I would be obliged if you keep this thread up to speed with your doings.

ainiseoir wrote: »
    Hi Machinehead,
    I have been following eircom's NGB ?progress towards here with a mixture of disbelief and amusement for some time.
    As I presume Vodafone's "Enhancement" - the spin doctors must be busy - will be on the back of whatever fiddling eircom does with the switches at the exchange, I would be obliged if you keep this thread up to speed with your doings.

No prob. I'm 4.5km from Tralee on the Blennerville side on what's known as 1mb "Non Standard Delivery" line. Whatever Vodafone promise will depend on what Eircom can deliver. I don't think they will ever be able to deliver anything near the 8, 5 or 3mb as promised. But if I can get a stable line with as close to 1mb contention free, I would be quite pleased.

1437208666.png:(

• Advertisement

No connection problem since start using wireless. Speed is quite good up to 7Mb/s as promised..

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1437514257.png

Waiting for NGB !!! :)

Hi Machinehead,

@ainiseoir.
    I've since had conflicting responses from VF. Here on boards.ie I've been told:
    "Keep an eye on this link (http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/enhanced/can/) in the next few days - the folks who look after landline products are pretty keen on this kind of feedback, so they're putting together an extra section for scheduled exchanges".
    Also on boards:
    "Tralee is on schedule for the final quarter of this year, so you should be up and running in time for the winter".
    Also on the VF website support forums:
    "This means your exchange will be updated soon. Once it's updated it will take about a month to move all users in the area over to the enhanced service. We wouldn't have a specific date on completion but it would be within the coming weeks".
    Make out of all that what you wish, still waiting:confused:

1448390670.png

(After messing around with my router using a little piece of software called DMT, this allowed me to lower my SNRM ratio from 6 down to 3.8db, line is stable and holding:).

Vodafone Customer Here!
    Been notified on 22/07/11 that their Enhanced Broadband sevice is on the way, similar to NGB I guess. When I asked, I was informed their service usually becomes active about one month after their notifications are distributed. Last week in August then?????

Hi guys
    NGN broadband upgrade for Tralee is set for Oct / Dec, so we are definitely, looking at end of year.
    Tony

Hi guys
    NGN broadband upgrade for Tralee is set for Oct / Dec, so we are definitely, looking at end of year.
    Tony

Would someone tell the artist in charge of the coverage map?

:D Good point. Yes there are issues with the NGB map and NGB product dept are going through the map to make corrections.
    Tony

Got this from VF today:
    "Yes, your line as been upgraded to enhanced broadband. This will make the broadband operate at a consistent speed. Unfortunately this will not increase the speed due to your distance away from the exchange"

Got this from VF today:
    "Yes, your line as been upgraded to enhanced broadband. This will make the broadband operate at a consistent speed. Unfortunately this will not increase the speed due to your distance away from the exchange"

How about that?
    Eircom has been pouring cold water on their NGB "rollout" in the Tralee area.
    Maybe it pays them to look after other telcos first.
    I would be interested to see what effect if any this has on your internet experience.
    it certainly wouldn't want to impair it! as what seems to have happened some people on getting NGB.
    I understand that we are on the hind tit of whatever makes it down from Limerick, and that the "non-congestion" is at the expense of other aspects of the service. Smoke and mirrors - the Irish way!
    Nice to look at the coverage map and see the enabled and migrated area around the Pale for all those people who have gone cable anyway.

Got this from VF today:

Hi Machinehead
    yes that is possible. An upgrade to NGB cannot increase the available bandwith delivered by lines and any line more than 2Km away from exchange is likely to experience some drops in speed. As the letter states, you should notice an uncongested speed, so the top speed your line can deliver should be your constant speed even at peak times.
    Hope this at least explains the situation.
    Tony

Your line can take 17Mb!!
    Are you living in the exchange in Tralee or raising expectations with a typo?
    I'm beginning to think that this ngb rollout for the peripheries has been quietly shelved.

I've been away so checked the NGB map for news and found that Tralee had lost it's color coding totally..
    Listowel and Killarney remain light blue.
    Is something brewing or are we all out of colours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Just checked there the map seems to have lost its colour alright!
    Not sure if that's a good thing or not??
    When my area was done there last weekend the map just went straight from dark blue (sep-nov) to the yellow Enabled colour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Any update coming on this? We changed over to NGB two odd weeks ago having been told that we'd not get the full 25mb but that we would get 17mb on our line (Oakpark area of Tralee) and that it would take just 72hrs for the change over to happen.

Weeks later still getting the exact same 3mb service as before just at a higher price - needless to say we would want to see 17mb popping up on the broadband speed test soon or there's going to be a serious charge of mis-selling of services lodged.

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Any update coming on this? We changed over to NGB two odd weeks ago having been told that we'd not get the full 25mb but that we would get 17mb on our line (Oakpark area of Tralee) and that it would take just 72hrs for the change over to happen.

Weeks later still getting the exact same 3mb service as before just at a higher price - needless to say we would want to see 17mb popping up on the broadband speed test soon or there's going to be a serious charge of mis-selling of services lodged.
    Hi Che,
    It would seem that you have been sold a pup by an enthusiastic sales(wo)man. The curse of the "Up to!!"
    1. NGB not available in Tralee yet. There was talk of "at the end of the year".
    2.That 3 Mb seems a bit slow for Oakpark, you're not that far from the exchange. You might run your bits and pieces past the moderator with a Private Mail. They are pretty good at chasing up things like that.
    3.I'm up near McElligott's and I get 6+ for an "up to 7Mb" sub.
    4. I don't think you can expect any improvement on speed with NGB, only hopefully no spinning wheel with streaming video. I think that the upstream may improve up to 512, but with our speeds, who would want to be at that?
    I have a feeling that there may be someone twiddling with the knobs at the exchange at the minute, well not on Sunday, but keep us posted.

Cheers for that ainiseoir - was aware of the 'up to' clause that service providers are fond of trotting out but the line was 'checked' by the sales person and was told that while 25mb wasn't going to happen that 17mb was deliverable.

Now that's a lot faster than the 3mb that was coming into the house (not far from McElligotts either) and is strangely enough still only coming into the house.

The package was sold on the improved speed not on the premise of less congestion etc so I'm going to have to guess that the NGB package either actually hasn't been switched over, isn't in Tralee, or is being mis-sold to people as offering improved speed when it cannot.

Anyone from Eircom here want to touch base with this thread and shed some light on the NGB in Tralee question? Tony? Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi All,

The Tralee (Limerick) exchange is on the NGB roll-out list for the first quater of 2012 (Jan - March). I appreciate there have been prevous guidelines & indications which have passed.

As such there is no absolute guarantee of a definitive date but I have been assured we are hopeful the NGB migration will happen within that period.

Thanks, Mark

Hi All,

The Tralee (Limerick) exchange is on the NGB roll-out list for the first quater of 2012 (Jan - March). I appreciate there have been prevous guidelines & indications which have passed.

As such there is no absolute guarantee of a definitive date but I have been assured we are hopeful the NGB migration will happen within that period.

Thanks, Mark

Thank you.
    Any thoughts on the color-code disappearing for Tralee?
    I had hoped it had some significance.
    It certainly makes the map for the southwest look a bit forlorn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi ainiseoir,

We have advised the online content team of the issue and I will let you know when there is any update.

Thanks, Mark

Hi All,

Thanks, Mark

Cheers Mark, good to have an update.

Is it fair to assume that those in Tralee that have 'switched' to NGB won't be billed for the service until it's actually up and running? i.e. they'll continue to pay for their pre-NGB service until it's available and the actual change of service occurs?

I think you should revisit your salesperson with a few "WTF"s in your questionnaire.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If it arrives in Q1 2012 it is not dreadfully behind schedule. Some of the 2007 list of DSL exchanges are incomplete nearly 5 years later and the poor feckers are still on Dialup. :(

Advertisement