Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

Mark Vogan Discusses the WHYS behind his winter forecast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MmWo0rxCa5Y#!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Interesting temperature differences (massive ones actually) in Eastern Turkey...probably due to wind effects...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

patneve2 wrote: »
    Interesting temperature differences (massive ones actually) in Eastern Turkey...probably due to wind effects...

It's elevation-related. The minus numbers are at around 1700-1800 metres, the warmer ones are along the Black Sea (Trabzon, Hopa, etc.).

Hover over these stations

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=4&nav=Yes&lat=45N&lon=045E&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2011&mes=12&day=20hora=18&vte=Te

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

476998441.jpg?Expires=1324416941&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=xV~eipcAialriNM~BLl4ardwQkSU2g6kRXl0HcjZGioZGrJEvQYeFwhElUvqIX0Tbzd4aCdfUAC3gC3xaVJwo6TORMpQa5INhcsgXbaMdxG061XbxASnsQr8VtpmszwzLazAEqzNgQ1i~Pkc6alvFP6SCrNBXG0yZqN-pz7a-pk_

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

No need to start losing the faith guys. We're around one month into the snow window (or as some like to call it, winter), 2 months to go at least and IIRC the 2 years before last had no snow at this point but got plenty of snow in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Not exactly a "Bartlett" high (hate that nametag) but a fairly similar set up during the phenomenal wet spell during the 2nd half of Nov 2009:

185906.gif

If anyone had said five- six weeks after that chart was first posted we'd be in a deep freeze, they would likely have been greeted with deep skepticism. so it just goes to show while the current output looks bleak, anything could happen between now and the end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Is mt sticking with a cold snowy jan/feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

This thread + Mild weather =

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

This thread + Mild weather =

+1

Its like Spongebob is standing outside the door of the forum and exclaiming,

"Move along now....nothing to see here...."

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Is mt sticking with a cold snowy jan/feb?

Keeps getting pushed back - expect cold weather to finally arrive in July.

As usual :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72875786

Posted on June 20th:
    I'm not really surprised that this winter is going from bad to worse, I'm convinced that we wont see anything wintry until March at least.

Depressingly good call Elmer :cool:!

(I'm trying to provoke the weather gods by dismissing this "winter"...but they may be on to me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

I dunno now lads but all this warm air advection into Scandinavia and Russia can only mean one thing...a high will build there eventually.
    Probably in less than a month,maybe sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Well well we may have some good news on the 23 rd piers has called a metting to tell us about jan 2012 , will he be telling us what mark vogan has been saying since june a big freeze is on the way , the answer is most likely a big yes , however piers also said it in oct and it did nothappen ,still maybe he will guess correct this time
    Roll on 1947 type winter in jan 2012 - 25 and 8 foot drifts lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Look at the blue colour in SE Europe where it will be colder than normal and then look at the last post in Fantasy Island Winter Charts thread (me)
    I'm still not sure who made that forecast (was it Joe B?) but it looking good whoever it was.

Elmer i see you have same postcode as me d9 are you in beaumont artane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

I'm still not sure who made that forecast (was it Joe B?) but it looking good whoever it was.
    3 weeks ago,the holly round here was full of berries,weighted down with them in fact,a bumper crop.
    It's now all gone.
    Not a berry left.No they haven't been chopped down by humans.

The animals and birds are preparing for something.

Lol yes a mild jan
    Joke nmaybe they are but if so how come the postman weather guy has said a normal winter ahead , he goes by nature so im sure he would have spotted the birds and berrys.

blackius wrote: »
    3 weeks ago,the holly round here was full of berries,weighted down with them in fact,a bumper crop.
    It's now all gone.

Or it might just be that they see all the berries and naturally think hey this is great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

What do the birds know? they don't even have computers or mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I dunno now lads but all this warm air advection into Scandinavia and Russia can only mean one thing...a high will build there eventually.
    Probably in less than a month,maybe sooner.
    It's now all gone.

A change of tune BB. Didn't think you were one for the nature signs.

Look at the blue colour in SE Europe where it will be colder than normal and then look at the last post in Fantasy Island Winter Charts thread (me)

The forecast was made by accuweather, but not Joe Bastardi, he left that organisation some time ago. By the way even if the stratosphere stays cold, i don't see how you can say you're convinced we won't see anything wintry till March, yes, it maybe more likely we won't, but i recall even in predominantly mild winters we had decent topplers in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Does anyone else think the latter stages of recent ECM runs look rather odd:confused:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Does anyone else think the latter stages of recent ECM runs look rather odd:confused:

is it this chart you mean?
    Recm1682.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Mark Vogan is going against everyone else and is going for snowfall from Christmas Eve and onwards in the North of the UK.

This guy Vogan is another annoying Madden to me. He waffles on and on but says nothing except repeating how "he's been saying this all week, folks", etc. His arguments don't hold water. He said we'd see a pattern change to cold starting some time from last weekend but it's gone the complete opposite way and he won't admit it. The reason he's giving for snow on Saturday is pathetic too, as warm air is actually moving in from the west, not back from the east! Only the highest parts of Scotland will see snow then. He just wants to make the same sort of claims as Madden et al.

Plus, I don't think you'll find Galway in the "far south" of Ireland, with Cork, but we can forgive him this I suppose!

It seems anyone at all can post any old crap on Youtube and they become a guru overnight. :rolleyes:

Mark Vogan is going against everyone else and is going for snowfall from Christmas Eve and onwards in the North of the UK.

It seems he is the type of person that can't admit when they're wrong. Either that or he just wants notoriety. I suspect that's definitely what Madden is up to with his forecasts.

It seems he is the type of person that can't admit when they're wrong. Either that or he just wants notoriety. I suspect that's definitely what Madden is up to with his forecasts.

SNAP!

• Advertisement

It's now all gone.

I noticed that too.

Last year there was also a good crop of holly berries but they survived right through the freezing December (and the following months) into Spring.

I doubt the birds are predicting anything - maybe the berries are easier to eat when the aren't frozen!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement