Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artic Winter ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Would be great if it came true, my highlights of last winter was the snow thead on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Too soooooooooooooooooooooon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Would be great if it came true, my highlights of last winter was the snow thead on here!

I remember sitting at the window at 3am one Saturday night with 2 pages open on my browser.. The radar and the snow thread. I could 'see' the excitement building in a line of people posting on the thread towards my house and then the snow started to fall and stayed falling for hours. Nerdy but one of those nice few hours to remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

****Makes a note to start a Heatwave in Summer 2012 thread in December.:pac::pac:

Trotter wrote: »
    I remember sitting at the window at 3am one Saturday night with 2 pages open on my browser.. The radar and the snow thread. I could 'see' the excitement building in a line of people posting on the thread towards my house and then the snow started to fall and stayed falling for hours. Nerdy but one of those nice few hours to remember!

And listening to Dublin Air Traffic Control dragging their surface friction tester thingy up and down the runway lol! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    ****Makes a note to start a Heatwave in Summer 2012 thread in December.:pac::pac:

Maq and LL. sorry LOL :);):p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

groan..........:rolleyes:
    Not another one, this time it's "Exacta Weather" who'll get it dramatically wrong just like "Positive weather solutions" did last winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

So the dandruff problem to get worse, flaky itchy clouds and people who didn't bother to use Afghan hats...to keep the dandruff off their head and shoulders!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

I'm already dreaming about shoveling snow from my driveway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Mixed feelings about this. I'll be working overseas until December and flying home just on time for Christmas. I don't fancy spending the holidays at an Airport or Travel Tavern!

However, the authorities will definitely be prepared after the last two winters, right? ...Right!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

only 188 days till Christmas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Columbia wrote: »
    However, the authorities will definitely be prepared after the last two winters, right? ...Right!?

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The Quiet sun bandwagon keeps rolling :rolleyes:
    I dont think a solar minimum guarantees a cold winter, During the Maunder minimum: (using CET)
    Jan 1684 -3c : Jan 1686 +6.5c
    And during the Dalton minimum:
    Feb 1779 +7.9c : Jan 1780 -0.9c
    Jan 1795 -3.1c : Jan 1796 +7.3c (mildest jan on record with 1916)
    I think next winter could be as mild as any of those we had to suffer in the 1990s!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Bring it on:pac:!

Got snow tyres.

Slappin them on in october/november

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Going to buy a snow shovel tomorrow morning. Perhaps a snow plough would be more in order. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Quiet sun bandwagon keeps rolling :rolleyes:
    I dont think a solar minimum guarantees a cold winter, During the Maunder minimum: (using CET)
    Jan 1684 -3c : Jan 1686 +6.5c
    And during the Dalton minimum:
    Feb 1779 +7.9c : Jan 1780 -0.9c
    Jan 1795 -3.1c : Jan 1796 +7.3c (mildest jan on record with 1916)
    I think next winter could be as mild as any of those we had to suffer in the 1990s!

The only guarantees are death, taxes and min complaining about snow:D

but what your post shows, is that more of those years during the maunder minimum must have been cold rather than mild, so a solar minimum, while not guaranteeing a cold winter, greatly increases the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

You know why it's so cold in the artic?

because there's no c there

:)

Is it too early to mention the Isle of Man Shadow?!? :D:D:D

Coffe Sputter nose... that was funny :)

Poxy isle of man shadow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

*Bookmarks the above post with the intention to repost it when we are in the middle of an epic winter later this year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

You all must have plenty of money for oil! I spent the bad weeks last winter with windows iced from top to bottom on the inside - I live in dread of another cold spell that bad, spending every spare cent I have on oil.... going to have to hibernate:(

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

fill the tank with oil in october and you might be ok for the 4 months of snow of november december january and february.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Up on Met.ie now!

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=123

ITS GETTING SERIOUS! ha

SO .... how many shall i order??.. ski-doo-summit-hillclimb-snowmobile-2009.jpg
    :pac::D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

I'm Canadian from Ontario living in Ireland for the past 3 years, and each winter has been getting progressively worse.. I hope I can buy a ski doo here and actually get some use out of it!!! If the rivers and lakes freeze you can also build an ice shack, plunk it on the lake and fish and it's your new winter home.. that's if the rivers/lakes freeze that is..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Its never too early to mention the IOM shadow

5285793835_93816400cc.jpg

nor the Anglesey Shadow

5281025826_145826ac48.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

oh ye are such a tease talking about snow in June.. That reminds me though, been meaning to look into extra insulation for the attic before the "epic" snow of this winter.... gets out plans for ramp.... gathers hammer and nails.... cause I'm gonna need it.. nearly froze me tail off last winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Up on Met.ie now!

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=123

ITS GETTING SERIOUS! ha

SO .... how many shall i order??.. ski-doo-summit-hillclimb-snowmobile-2009.jpg
    :pac::D:pac:

Really good little article from Met E.

Advertisement