Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I used to joke about the Bray Snow Shield but with what I have learned here it really exists, just not in the Starship Enterprise form I envisaged :D

Barring major Frontal battles like '82 and '87, the long land track and Wicklow and Dublin Mountains that wrap around Bray deal with anything coming from the NW,W,SW & S. Long land track deals with anything from the North. Being right in the middle of the East coast means that the Eastern counties of ulster mean not enough of a sea track and a resultant snow shadow with Bray at the southerly extremity of the shadow for NNE. Again Brays position in the middle of the east coast puts us within the Isle of Man shadow for most North Easterlies or anything close to one. Picture the wind coming from behind the IOM. Visualise the shadow cast up and down the east coast of Ireland as the wind changes direction. Because Bray is in the middle of the East coast were are usually within some part of the shadow no matter what part of the east coast the shadow is on. We might be smack bang in the middle for a pure North Easterly. If Meath/Dublin is in the shadow Bray is within the southern boundaries of it and the rest of Wicklow/Wexford get the snow. If Wicklow/Wexford is in the IOM shadow, Bray is usually within the Northern boundaries of the shadow and Dublin/Meath get the snow. If its a true easterly we are in the Anglesey/Wales shadow.

Basically, if the wind is not coming from the direction of Cumbria/Blackpool where there is enough of a sea track then Bray gets sweet fanny adams!! :D

And even when it is coming from the right direction for us?? We ended up between streamers more often than not. All Brays snow for that whole month last year came from basically 2 or 3 heavy 90 minute showers

With regard to the 2001 event. I think Bray got about an inch out of that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Lived in Bray for years so I know what you mean!

The shield works for rain (and clouds) as well so not all bad :)

(Any weather stations in Bray? - the rainfall there must be the lowest in Ireland and the sunshine the highest)

I remember back in the day before the M11 the traffic from Bray to Dub was atrocious and commuters like me-self did a rat-run through The Scalp, Stepaside and so forth - there might be a bone dry hard frost in Bray and it always seemed to be snowy in Sandyford.

So I moved ;)

(Hint hint)

(I did love Bray though, great place to live and one of the most under-rated spots in the GDA)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Any weather stations in Bray? - the rainfall there must be the lowest in Ireland and the sunshine the highest

Our very own trogdor has a station there. http://www.brayweather.com/

BTW, thanks for posting up all the photos of past snow events! :)

DOCARCH wrote: »

If I'm reading Trog's stats correctly (which I'm probably not) then Bray had about 580 mm in 2011

That is dry - and what I'd have expected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

DOCARCH wrote: »

BTW, thanks for posting up all the photos of past snow events! :)

I wondered who ran BrayWeather! I have been addicted to that site since I moved here, and have been using it recently to "calibrate" my weather station that I got for Crimbo. :D trogdor, I miss your forecasts!

And I agree about the frustrating snow shield!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Jet-Stream-North-of-UK-wp1.jpg

High pressure builds over the weekend and next week as the jet stream shifts north and slows down.

Light rain or drizzle will affect the north and west at times though as fronts zip by toward Scandanavia

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Jet-Stream-North-of-UK-wp1.jpg

High pressure builds over the weekend and next week as the jet stream shifts north and slows down.

Light rain or drizzle will affect the north and west at times though as fronts zip by toward Scandanavia

Hopefully it will be nice and dry for the rest of us !

Sick of looking at rain !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

According to Met Eireann
    Saturday night : Cool and mainly dry early in the night with moderate westerly breezes. Lowest temperatures 3 to 6 C., with a slight frost only in sheltered areas. But cloudy, misty weather will develop later on, with temperatures rising and with some drizzle in places before dawn. Sunday will be a mild, mostly cloudy day. Top temperature will range 9 to 11 C., in a moderate to fresh southwest breeze. Dull and drizzly to start, but drier in many places by afternoon, with a few bright spells developing in central and eastern areas. But drizzle and rain will persist on northern and some western coasts. Mild overnight, with a spell of persistent rain moving across the country, from the west. Monday may well start wet, but the rain should soon clear, so that the day will be mainly dry and bright, with sunny spells developing. Top temperatures 8 to 10 C., in moderate westerly breezes. Cold overnight with a sharp frost and some fog frost and perhaps some icy patches. The outlook up to and including midweek is for it to stay mild and mostly cloudy, with some rain at times. But amounts should be small and there will be some dry, bright, interludes also. Temperatures will range 8 to 11 C., by day and it is expected to be mild at night also, with little or no frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Today is a filthy day here. Strong westerly-southwesterly winds are driving heavy drizzle. Nothing on the radar but I can tell you the ground is saturated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Today is a filthy day here. Strong westerly-southwesterly winds are driving heavy drizzle. Nothing on the radar but I can tell you the ground is saturated here.

Same here, nothing on radar but pretty much raining all morning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Same here too, in Galway. Now ye know why I want weather radars on hills overlooking the atlantic at Schull and Dooncarton and not miles inland at airports ...shielded by hills :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Nice day in Dublin 4 , nice n mild , not much sun in the Sky but still mild out in a gentle breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Must be a resolution issue on met.ie radar because the drizzle showing up ok on the Weatheronline radar:

radar_1.gif
    radarkey_legend_uk.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Neither radar is reading it as crap here as it is. Drizzly mucky mumble grumble of a day. Yesterday and last night were just sent to tease us!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Must be a resolution issue on met.ie radar...

Not an issue with the radar as such, issues with the humans rather :D . If you remember the uproar about the change of radar imagery on last years upgrade, some people were giving out that it was showing rain over them when there wasn't any. This was due to evaporation of rainfall in the last 500m, which happens regularly in summer.

To counteract this, I suspect, Met Eireann dropped all echoes returning below a measurement of 0.2mm/hr from the radar to suit the customer. Now, that we are in winter, the drizzle is not being detected - or so we think!

In reality, it is being detected, but the computer that renders the imagery for the web drops the colour coding to keep us happy as per order in the summer.

The other radars just include a colour for the 0.1mm/hr rate whereas our radar doesn't. In the summer people will probably be giving out about the other radars showing rain where there isn't any and Met Eireanns will be fine...

Geddit? :pac:

That would be it Danno, Met Eireann evidently have a much higher threshhold than reality on their website.

I would rank the online rain radars in terms of Veracity as follows:

1. Deep Easterlys http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/radar?CONT=ukuk&CREG=nir
    2. Raintoday.co.uk http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    3. Met Eireann http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That would be it Danno, Met Eireann evidently have a much higher threshhold than reality on their website.

I would rank the online rain radars in terms of Veracity as follows:

1. Deep Easterlys http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/radar?CONT=ukuk&CREG=nir
    2. Raintoday.co.uk http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    3. Met Eireann http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Whatabout the netweather one ?

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

No words neededindex.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=126584

Same here too, in Galway. Now ye know why I want weather radars on hills overlooking the atlantic at Schull and Dooncarton and not miles inland at airports ...shielded by hills :)

Well, Sponge, we have the opposite problem here!

The ME radar often shows rain when in fact there is none falling :)

• Advertisement

Possibly a localised Sandyford Foehn effect Bill. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

mcriot29 wrote: »
    No words neededindex.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=126584

:eek: Is this real???

Possibly a localised Sandyford Foehn effect Bill. :)

Thanks Sponge. You are a veritable cornucopia of information ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

no its just one of those weird reversed charts , i think someone posted the same sort of chart a while back.And anyway thatd be ice age sort of stuff:p -68C in ireland and temps of -50C over the whole of africa:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

This is a joke Right were all frozen to the spot LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

This is a joke Right were all frozen to the spot LOL

bb1234567 wrote: »
    no its just one of those weird reversed charts , i think someone posted the same sort of chart a while back.And anyway thats be ice age sort of stuff:p -68 in ireland and temps of -50 over the whole of africa:p

I think those temps are in the stratosphere! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

bb1234567 wrote: »
    no its just one of those weird reversed charts , i think someone posted the same sort of chart a while back.And anyway thats be ice age sort of stuff:p -68 in ireland and temps of -50 over the whole of africa:p

temp at 10hpa stratosphere.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lads that is a chart of temperatures in the stratosphere!!

Although a chart like that is showing good signs, but not the cold part over us! But the generally heating up of the stratosphere is thought to increase the liklihood of high altitude blocking especially during intense warming, the warming takes a number of weeks to reach the troposphere and sometimes doesn't even make it there.

It is a relatively new branch of forecasting theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Thanks Sponge. You are a veritable cornucopia of information ;)

cor·nu·co·pi·a/ˌkôrn(y)əˈkōpēə/
    Noun:
    A symbol of plenty consisting of a goat's horn overflowing with flowers, fruit, and corn.
    An ornamental container shaped like such a horn.

for anyone like me who didnt know what that strange word meant;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement