Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

mcriot29 wrote: »
    10mb warming on European over the pole by 360 hrs reaches 50C!!!! This is a huge event and will have N hemisphere cold implications
    From job b
    Also strat forum on netweather is saying the same thing but as i said before, will the cold air hit ireland if it does we could see record temps worse the last dec

If the cold did hit Ireland it would make last dec look mild, but thats down the line yet and its a very big IF, The models are not picking up much of a change yet and when they do they just flop back to the zonal theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mercurialhaze

I only joined yesterday but ye have kept me entertained for over a year especially during the winter months.. I probably won't post again simply because i haven't a clue on how to read weather maps etc but il continue to watch .. cheers guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

mcriot29 wrote: »
    10mb warming on European over the pole by 360 hrs reaches 50C!!!! This is a huge event and will have N hemisphere cold implications
    From job b
    Also strat forum on netweather is saying the same thing but as i said before, will the cold air hit ireland if it does we could see record temps worse the last dec

I don't have much faith in computer models at 360 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

If the cold did hit Ireland it would make last dec look mild, but thats down the line yet and its a very big IF, The models are not picking up much of a change yet and when they do they just flop back to the zonal theme.

How good are the models at picking up SSW events. Or do they not recognize it till it actually happens?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

I only joined yesterday but ye have kept me entertained for over a year especially during the winter months.. I probably won't post again simply because i haven't a clue on how to read weather maps etc but il continue to watch .. cheers guys :)
    Agree with you I have been reading posts here for the past year but never posted until now:pac:
    I just want to thank EVERYONE who posts on the weather fourm you all are doing a great job.
    From job b
    What are the odds of this being hitting us?
    and if we were hit are we talking record breaking lows?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

rKossi wrote: »
    Agree with you I have been reading posts here for the past year but never posted until now:pac:
    I just want to thank EVERYONE who posts on the weather fourm you all are doing a great job.

What are the odds of this being hitting us?
    and if we were hit are we talking record breaking lows?.
    High odds I would say but it's too far out in fantasyland, but if it did and I make it a 33/1 chance it would be bitter cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

IMG_3447-1.jpg

Late winters are common...like this utterly forgotten snowy spell in early March 2006.

Keep the faith :cool:

IMG_1058-1.jpg

Or late Feb 2005.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I noticed a post on netweather tonight saying this winter has a 88-89 feel to it.
    I couldn't agree more!
    posted nov 16th
    ignore E.B. at your peril.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75508493

March2004007-1.jpg

Or even on the 11th March 2004!

Winter doesn't end in January :D

• Advertisement

IMG_9948-1.jpg

And more recently....10th Feb 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I noticed a post on netweather tonight saying this winter has a 88-89 feel to it.
    I couldn't agree more!
    posted nov 16th
    ignore E.B. at your peril.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75508493

Was 88/89 particularly heavy snow or prolonged cold? How does it compare to 2010 snowfall?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Lucreto wrote: »
    Was 88/89 particularly heavy snow or prolonged cold? How does it compare to 2010 snowfall?

I don't remember anything special about 88/89 :rolleyes:

davidsr20 wrote: »
    :confused: you dont remember anything special about the winter of 88/89 because there was nothing to remember about it. It was as boring and coma inducing as this one! This chart looks familiar doesn't it - same as the s***e we've been looking at all this winter.

Rrea00119890108.gif

IMG_0139-1.jpg

Then there was the 8" fall in Dublin on 28th February 2001; it remained on the ground for another 8 days in cloudless skies and near freezing temps till about the 7th March.

Not many people remember this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Wasn't that during the foot and mouth epidemic. I remember going up the liffey source in the Wicklow mountains to see (at the time) the most amount of snow I had ever seen. The river was filled in with snow but you weren't allowed to hike far off road markings due to foot and mouth signs everywhere(they weren't quite buried unfortunately!).

Wild Bill wrote: »

Then there was the 8" fall in Dublin on 28th February 2001; it remained on the ground for another 8 days in cloudless skies and near freezing temps till about the 7th March.

I remember it :) I had one of those old max/min thermometers then (pre digital era) and I can remember the temp only got up to about 2c in the middle of the day and -8c at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

And just to highlight that just 2 weeks before that we had the this,
    archivesnh-2001-2-15-0-0.png

Notice Greenland like now.

In fact it's nearly a Carbon copy +144hrs on current GFS run
    187364.png

Then the blocking happened as the AO went negative
    archivesnh-2001-2-28-0-0.png

And more importantly to note is that we had a Sudden Strat Warming in mid Jan which caused a splitting of the polar vortex in Feb01
    30mb9065_2001.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tzfrantic

were can i see the NAO forecast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

• Advertisement

IMG_0143.jpg

I'm really looking forward (with confidence) to this again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tzfrantic

Wasn't that during the foot and mouth epidemic. I remember going up the liffey source in the Wicklow mountains to see (at the time) the most amount of snow I had ever seen. The river was filled in with snow but you weren't allowed to hike far off road markings due to foot and mouth signs everywhere(they weren't quite buried unfortunately!).

It was indeed during the F&M outbreak!

But I doubt that cause the snow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Loving the pictures wild bill are they all your own? And as ever great informative post redsunset.

IMG_0139-1.jpg

I don't remember it sadly. If it was a decent snowfall I would remember it. I think I had less than 5 snow days off school.

baraca wrote: »
    Loving the pictures wild bill are they all your own?

100% - guaranteed Wild Bill :D

Note the lesser number of pixels in the earlier pics...but at the time it was fairly up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

If prayers from this forum could be turned into snow we'd be snowed in for months.

begging12.gif

Lucreto wrote: »
    I think I had less than 5 snow days off school.

Like....in 2001.... or in your entire school years :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

davidsr20 wrote: »

That winter of 88-89 was one damn wet one, rivers around here burst their banks and were ten to fifteen feet above normal! Considering there are 5 rivers in my area and the Nore is the fastest flowing river in Ireland that drains here too, it takes serious rains for flooding in South Laois!!!

• Advertisement

Like....in 2001.... or in your entire school years :confused:

Sorry I was meant to say in my whole school career. 14 years and only 5 days due to snow. Well I did live in Bray until 1997 moved to Naas then I had about 3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement