Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lulzsec merge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

jester` wrote: »
    Just to clarify for some people, this guy could just be a young and naive guy who got pulled into a "hacking community" and was asked to run a program from his computer to take part in a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack against the organizations that have been recently targeted by groups like LulzSec. Another situation could be he accidentally installed a virus on his computer, and his computer was used as a zombie in a botnet to aid in performing DDos attacks. A botnet is controlled by a third party.

He could have been arrested due to his internet traffic showing someone on his connection performing attacks against the targets. The police now need to perform forensic analysis on his computer media looking for evidence to either convict him, or clear him of charges.

This is going to happen more and more as groups like LulzSec recruit people to help with their cause. People who do not realize they could be committing a crime, and just think they are taking part in something fun, until they get a knock on the door.
    Agreed, I understand that, but if it is Lulz, then it is a big blow for his campaign

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Tallon wrote: »
    I'm not that stupid, mines
    : Pa55word

Personally I'd lower cases the 'p,' have a higher case 'A,' throw in a '2,' for the 'r,' and use a reverse 'b,' instead of 'd.'

:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He'll be sh1tting himself if he gets extradited to the US.

Why? I am sure he is well prepared for that.

You don't hack into the CIA website thinking "Ah well there is no hope I'm going to get caught so no need to worry."

Right?

Personally I'd lower cases the 'p,' have a higher case 'A,' throw in a '2,' for the 'r,' and use a reverse 'b,' instead of 'd.'

:pac:
    imustchangemypasswordnow

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jester`

Agreed, I understand that, but if it is Lulz, then it is a big blow for his campaign

His campaign? True, he could be a leader in the group, but he could also just be a supporter. This will not affect a group of their size in the slightest.

It still has not been confirmed he is LulzSec either, it is purely speculation at this stage until they check the evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

imustchangemypasswordnow

I saw one in the list of 62000 the other day that was "johnsnewpassword", I kid you not :D
    Classic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I saw one in the list of 62000 the other day that was "johnsnewpassword", I kid you not :D
    Classic

haha, I have a feeling his next one will be "johnsnewerpassword."

:P

jester` wrote: »
    His campaign? True, he could be a leader in the group, but he could also just be a supporter. This will not affect a group of their size in the slightest.

It still has not been confirmed he is LulzSec either, it is purely speculation at this stage until they check the evidence.
    Exactly, he could be a leader, he could be a one man show, heck, he could be leeroy jenkins for all we know.

I'm obviously completely speculating here, along with everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

04eDf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Saviola

There were some epic passwords in that list, qwertyuiop seems quite popular.

Anyway considering the tweets have stopped from lulzsec i'd kind of assume that it was him who was caught. I also got the feeling that he was the only guy doing it as there didn't seem to be any communication telling people to co-ordinate attacks.

• Advertisement

04eDf.jpg
    PogMoThoin wrote: »

Oh well there goes my theory...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

imustchangemypasswordnow

Have a check here and see if worth bothering:

https://shouldichangemypassword.com/

;)

Have a check here and see if worth bothering:

https://shouldichangemypassword.com/

;)

Enter your e-mail address and password here and ill check if they've been compromised...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Doing these things "because they can" or "to highlight flaws in their systems" is about as good of an excuse as "I shot him in the chest because he wasn't wearing a bulletproof vest".

Hope all the ****ers are caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The LulzSec Twat account is saying it's just some random person.

LulzSec wrote: »

Seems the glorious leader of LulzSec got arrested, it's all over now... wait... we're all still here! Which poor bastard did they take down?
    42 minutes ago

But hey, if someone out there hacked the UK government in the name of #AntiSec, well done sirs!
    6 minutes ago

Anyone in the world can copy and paste The Lulz Boat ASCII art and general lighthearted theme. Smarten up, check the feed first. #AntiSec
    7 minutes ago

Just saw the pastebin of the UK census hack. That wasn't us - don't believe fake LulzSec releases unless we put out a tweet first.
    10 minutes ago

https://twitter.com/#!/LulzSec/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Barrington wrote: »
    Doing these things "because they can" or "to highlight flaws in their systems" is about as good of an excuse as "I shot him in the chest because he wasn't wearing a bulletproof vest".

Hope all the ****ers are caught.

They have hacked some of the most major sites on the net and managed to get passwords and credit card details. I can guarantee you this, every site they have taken down has been reamed to shreds for months before by others who say nothing. Think long and hard about the implications of that.

Online security is becoming a big issue, you wouldn't feel safe if your bank take your cash at the counter and stacked it on a table behind them in open view. Why accept the same with websites online?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Basically, they arrested the person who set up the lulsec IRC channel, nice! although i heat he independently attacked other sites

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Smart kid. The CIA should hire him.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Smart kid. The CIA should hire him.

He ran the IRC channel, probably helped the DDoSing but that about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Haha they caught one ****er, hopefully they catch the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

he's not one of them apparently.
    Ryan Cleary is not part of LulzSec; we house one of our many legitimate chatrooms on his IRC server, but that's it.

http://www.unveillance.com/latest-news/unveillance-official-statement/

Reports coming out that they are in it for the money and not the LulZ :eek:
    Over the last two weeks, my company, Unveillance, has been the target of a sophisticated group of hackers now identified as “LulzSec.” During this two week period, I was personally contacted by several members of this group who made threats against me and my company to try to obtain money as well as to force me into revealing sensitive data about my botnet intelligence that would have put many other businesses, government agencies and individuals at risk of massive Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks.

In spite of these threats, I refused to pay off LulzSec or to supply them with access to this sensitive botnet information. Had we agreed to provide this data to them, LulzSec would have been able to grow the size and scope of their DDoS attack and fraud capabilities.

Plain and simple, I refused to comply with their demands. Because of this, they followed through in their threats – and attacked me, my business and my personal reputation.

IRC convo is in the link.

What are they playing at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

They are slimeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Lizbeth Salander is behind the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Lets be honest, a large percent of hacking always has some alterior motive.
    Its all twisting the reason why. Like, hackers saying they "hack" only after something "unethical" a company did. Its all bs.

Theres a personal gain for every action we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Lets be honest, a large percent of hacking always has some alterior motive.
    Its all twisting the reason why. Like, hackers saying they "hack" only after something "unethical" a company did. Its all bs.

Theres a personal gain for every action we do.

Uh, wrong.

That may be the case for 'cracking'. The motive of hacking is to purely understand how something works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I hate to point out the obvious, but if you are going to do anything black hat wise, claiming you are doing it in the name of Lulzsec and/or Anonymous is pretty much a given. As it stands they are both ridiculously easy to use as patsys because they are deliberately putting themselves in the limelight.

Advertisement